• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Question on some of the semantics quick. Does the existing/new fighter mean just at this moment in time? So for examples sake, if we add in an Astral Chain character in later, would they move from new to existing and be eligible for another fighter due to the twitter stuff or would they not count because we just added them in?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Question on some of the semantics quick. Does the existing/new fighter mean just at this moment in time? So for examples sake, if we add in an Astral Chain character in later, would they move from new to existing and be eligible for another fighter due to the twitter stuff or would they not count because we just added them in?
A pre-existing universe is in regards to any universe currently represented once we start the job for adding content related to the Twitter promotion. Astral Chain would be considered an existing universe if we were to add universe representation via character or stage prior to these Twitter/Budget content submissions. I can’t give an eta when we will do these submissions until we fully decide which route to go.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Job #83: Submit the Character Select Screen
Voting
This will be our default character select screen so vote wisely! These are subject to change of course as we add in new fighters, which may potentially shift the line up. We largely have submissions that use rectangular rosters in line with previous smash titles, but we also received one in a different style. I tried to describe the differences to help differentiate the rosters as well. Keep in mind this is just voting for the conventions to organize the characters by, and not the background aesthetics or any other features of the css.

Ordered by series based on chronology, series not confined to the same row Golden Icarus Golden Icarus
Ordered by series based on addition order in smash, all characters from the same series share a row Krookodilian Krookodilian
Globe roster, older fighters on the top, newer fighters on the bottom Glubbfubb Glubbfubb
Ordered by series, Mii fighters on the side SmasherMaster SmasherMaster

Also, Jomosensual Jomosensual your submission wasn't missed, but we will be saving customizations of the roster for a later job. Once we decide on the default roster, we can then decide which options would best fit it, such as stackable echoes, or other layout options i.e. by fighter number, All-star order etc.

Please vote for your top two (not your own), ranked voting is in place as usual.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Rest in peace Sukapon, the world shall never know what it lost today.

As for the CSS,
1. Krookodilian
2. SmasherMaster

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Hey yall, time for an irrelevant and useless post from Smashboards' favorite Amingo cultist!

So SmashWiki has this pretty neat lil' thing they use to categorize every single IP featured in Smash in some form: "universes". They're categorized by primary universes (characters and stages), secondary universes (assists, items, Smash Run enemies) and minor universes (Mii costumes, music and each game's collectables). I always thought it was really cool - and one of my favorite things about it is seeing how "universes" have gone up n' down in the hierarchy over each Smash game. Another thing I love is seeing what new ones are added to the huge list with each new game or update.

So then I thought it'd be fun for me to analyze how things would hypothetically change taking the new content in Infinite so far!

Aight, so for a reminder of how things are gonna work here:

Primary universes are characters and stages

Secondary universes are assists, items, and I'll count Smash Dungeon enemies here as well here seeing how Smash Run enemies were counted as a secondary form of content

Minor universes would theoretically include music and spirits, but I've decided to only factor in Mii costumes because honestly, the former two - in the context of this project - have been so all over the place and hard to keep track of that I've kinda just filtered them out whenever I'm thinking about this hypothetical game.

So let's take a look at what would hypothetically change so far!:

-Secondary universes promoted to primary: Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, The Mysterious Murasame Castle

-Minor universes promoted to primary: Style Savvy, Resident Evil, Nintendo Land, Tetris

-Minor universes promoted to secondary: Yuyuki, Mole Mania, Metal Slug, Astral Chain (though I'm fully expecting it to eventually become a primary)

-Secondary universes that, while still secondary, have gained an additional type of secondary/minor content (again, not counting spirits and music): Fatal Frame, Joy Mech Fight

-Completely new primary universes: Crash Bandicoot

-Completely new secondary universes: Darkstalkers

-Completely new minor universes (you know the drill by now): Viewtiful Joe

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hey yall, time for an irrelevant and useless post from Smashboards' favorite Amingo cultist!

So SmashWiki has this pretty neat lil' thing they use to categorize every single IP featured in Smash in some form: "universes". They're categorized by primary universes (characters and stages), secondary universes (assists, items, Smash Run enemies) and minor universes (Mii costumes, music and each game's collectables). I always thought it was really cool - and one of my favorite things about it is seeing how "universes" have gone up n' down in the hierarchy over each Smash game. Another thing I love is seeing what new ones are added to the huge list with each new game or update.

So then I thought it'd be fun for me to analyze how things would hypothetically change taking the new content in Infinite so far!

Aight, so for a reminder of how things are gonna work here:

Primary universes are characters and stages

Secondary universes are assists, items, and I'll count Smash Dungeon enemies here as well here seeing how Smash Run enemies were counted as a secondary form of content

Minor universes would theoretically include music and spirits, but I've decided to only factor in Mii costumes because honestly, the former two - in the context of this project - have been so all over the place and hard to keep track of that I've kinda just filtered them out whenever I'm thinking about this hypothetical game.

So let's take a look at what would hypothetically change so far!:

-Secondary universes promoted to primary: Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, The Mysterious Murasame Castle

-Minor universes promoted to primary: Style Savvy, Resident Evil, Nintendo Land, Tetris

-Minor universes promoted to secondary: Yuyuki, Mole Mania, Metal Slug, Astral Chain (though I'm fully expecting it to eventually become a primary)

-Secondary universes that, while still secondary, have gained an additional type of secondary/minor content (again, not counting spirits and music): Fatal Frame, Joy Mech Fight

-Completely new primary universes: Crash Bandicoot

-Completely new secondary universes: Darkstalkers

-Completely new minor universes (you know the drill by now): Viewtiful Joe
The usage of "minor universes" doesn't fit in with the primary/secondary universe naming system, and that irks me to no end. Therefore, I'm officially renaming them to tertiary universes. This is now canon and you all must adhere to the new name.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
The usage of "minor universes" doesn't fit in with the primary/secondary universe naming system, and that irks me to no end. Therefore, I'm officially renaming them to tertiary universes. This is now canon and you all must adhere to the new name.
Hey, I got the "List of Super Smash Bros. playable characters" page renamed to "Fighters", and I barely do anything on there. Make an account, go in a talk page, and yell about it. You might just make a change.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please vote for your top three favorite submissions. Ranked voting won’t be eligible for this voting period. You may vote your own. The results of the voting will dictate in what manner we will decide the winner of the contest but I can’t fully comment on them at this time.

PeridotGX PeridotGX Submission
@cashregister Submission
C chocolatejr9 Submission
Golden Icarus Golden Icarus Submission
Speed Weed Speed Weed Submission
Otoad64 Otoad64 Submission
Glubbfubb Glubbfubb Submission
Jomosensual Jomosensual Submission
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 Submission
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Submission
BowserKing BowserKing Submission

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Please vote for your top three favorite submissions. Ranked voting won’t be eligible for this voting period. You may vote your own. The results of the voting will dictate in what manner we will decide the winner of the contest but I can’t fully comment on them at this time.

@cashregister Submission
Huh, I thought I did a submission, too. I'd like to request that being added in, before the voting starts and we're too far in for a do-over.

EDIT: Also, Speed Weed's submission links to mine instead of his. Might wanna add that in for the sake of visibility.

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace

@cashregister Submission
airConditioner airConditioner Submission
SharkLord SharkLord Submission

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sharklord's Submission
cashregister9's Submission
PeridotGX's Submission

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  • Cashregister's submission
  • Jomosensual's submission
  • CheeseAnton's submission
The realization that new characters don't automatically bring a new stage with them heavily influenced my decision. Veteran series are fine, since they already have stages to their name, but new first-parties and third-parties are going to feel rather out-of-place without a proper stage.

Though, if this within reason, can I suggest something? Say a new third-party character is added, but they're from a smaller company, perhaps even an indie. In that scenario, they wouldn't have as much licensing issues behind them. If that happens, perhaps we'd be able to debate over how much of the original budget would actually be used on that character's deal, and possibly have enough money left over to spend on another extra thing? Or will each addition take up exactly the same amount of the budget?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
LETS GOOOOO AND TRY THIS AGAIIIIIIN

cashregister9 cashregister9 Submission
SharkLord SharkLord Submission
airConditioner airConditioner Submission

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  • Cashregister's submission
  • Jomosensual's submission
  • CheeseAnton's submission
The realization that new characters don't automatically bring a new stage with them heavily influenced my decision. Veteran series are fine, since they already have stages to their name, but new first-parties and third-parties are going to feel rather out-of-place without a proper stage.

Though, if this within reason, can I suggest something? Say a new third-party character is added, but they're from a smaller company, perhaps even an indie. In that scenario, they wouldn't have as much licensing issues behind them. If that happens, perhaps we'd be able to debate over how much of the original budget would actually be used on that character's deal, and possibly have enough money left over to spend on another extra thing? Or will each addition take up exactly the same amount of the budget?
Keeping this the same

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Ok, so this was quite tough. For my selection process I started by tossing out anyones submissions who would bring in incomplete series to Smash, such as buying a 3rd party character with no stage. I also booted the ones that I felt like had a ton of unnecessary spending on it, such as ones with a crap ton of items or bosses. And that still left me with.... a ton of choices. So here's the ones I like the best I guess

1. GoodGrief - While I know I said before that I cut submissions that funneled a ton of money into one idea, I think GG explains this pretty well. With Xenoblade having Pyra/Mythra I don't feel like there's any series who are desperately underrepped. That being said I do think there are a few who could use another character. We already know about the issues with LoZ's representation in Smash and that would likely be spot 1. Then I think you could for sure slide one more rep to Animal Crossing after the success of New Horizons and Xenoblade another as well given how it seems to be the hot new series Nintendo are fond of. After that the forth spot could go to a lot of places. Rep a new Pokemon gen? Get the mandatory FE rep done? Maybe add another character from a series with only 1 rep? There's a lot of good choices left here. That also opens us up to getting more new series added in, which feels like it would be a popular decision given how well the submissions went for that and focus on a few 3rd parties as well. Overall I'm not running into a downside with this one.

2. Mine - Obviously I like my own submission. Think it gives us one more shot to have a knockout choice for the base roster(Because I'm assuming twitter isn't going to want to pay for just any 3rd party character to show up here), and completes that character with a stage. Then we can get ourselves a stage for an existing series to buff up representation from that area since there's still a lot of holes we can plug up in regards to that. And finally, a new assist trophy that can go to a series that's not in Smash so we can breathe some life into a new character ideally because what's not fun about that?

3. CheeseAnton - Cheese's narrowly beats out a couple other peoples because of the focus on newcomers. Overall I think that if Twitter was actually going to be funding us to make a new Smash game, it seems more likely that they'd want us to use the money to be put toward new fighters or maybe stages than anything else. If I remember correctly they get the rights to reveals and the likes first, so I'd imagine the most bang for their buck would come from newcomer trailers over showing off which items or pokeball characters we have. Cheese also remembered to not leave the new series incomplete, which is big points in their favor

Overall I think these are the 3 I like the most. The focus on newcomers(or in my submissions case, one huge newcomer) is probably what Twitter is going to want from us so it's probably best to appease our partners demands. These 3 submissions also wouldn't put any additions in weird spots where they don't have a home stage. I'm still a tiny bit bothered by ROB not having one in his 3rd Smash game.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
2nd easter spirit
Fran (Final Fantasy)
Class: Novice
Type: Support Grab
Effect: Shooting Attack up, 1 Slot
  • Puppet Fighter: bunny hood ZSS (black)
  • Stage: Garden of Hope
  • Music Track:
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions: The enemy shooting attack have increased power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom