• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I feel like Andy would work because how else would we represent the Vehicles of the game in addition to the troops? Besides, he's practically the first thing people think of when looking at the Advance Wars AT (probably because if the colors, IDK)

As for how he'd work, maybe there's a Crafting Table-style building where you can build certain units? Because if I remember correctly from my tiny-ass self playing this game, you use factories or barracks to generate units, right? This would put Andy in a position already more unique than Eggman or Crazy Dave or Officer Howard.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I personally believe we've kinda had our fill with more gimmick-oriented characters with the likes of Eggman and Dave. I think we should use this opportunity to just make a fun character.

Also we've had enough summoners please, no more. A character playing like Snake is okay since that's an inclusion from all the way in Brawl. We've just added 2 summoner-oriented characters. Think reasonably here.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Also we've had enough summoners please, no more.
I had more of the same gripe but with the mech character lol it just odd that when we finally get to Eggman he felt like a redundant addition because the slot for "person fighting on a floating mech" is already taken from a person who is well known for fighting on a floating mech (most of the time).

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This thought never occurred to me but…I wonder if there is any sense in combining the character into one. Andy & Sami. Again just a thought I hadn’t thought of. You choose either one and the other one acts as a backup who bolsters your fighting ability via CO Skills.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, I've just thought of something in regards to Andy and Sami:
1631120466638.png

Okay, hear me out, right: Andy is a mechanic in the game, and from what I've read from everyone, Sami is the more physical type. So how about this: Andy and Sami are an Ice Climbers/Pyra-Mythra hybrid, with Andy being more focusing on the stronger, more powerful vehicles, while Sami focuses on the weaker, yet more abundant soldiers? It could represent both sides of Advance Wars' units perfectly, right?

EDIT: Oh my god, Venus and I shared the same brain cell lol

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm voting for Sami, solely for the sake of I ****ing despise Andy's design. He's too "kiddy" for my taste. Sami's got the military aesthetic and a better weapon choice.

As for summoner vs. non-gimmick, why not go for a compromise having her have some moves pulling out placing units, others calling offscreen strikes, and still move revolving around explosives and her gun?

Also, if we want to take some creative liberties, Andy and Sami could theoretically share the same skeleton if you modify both their heights a little; a hybrid moveset that takes both of their specialties into consideration could be interesting, and theoretically could even be applied to other COs like Sturm or Eagle, giving them a Bowser Jr. thing of having a bunch of COs on one fighter, though that's with a LOT of creative liberty.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This thought never occurred to me but…I wonder if there is any sense in combining the character into one. Andy & Sami. Again just a thought I hadn’t thought of. You choose either one and the other one acts as a backup who bolsters your fighting ability via CO Skills.

Can we please just have a gimmick-free character for once? No CO skills, no summons, no tag-team, no Looney Tunes 4th wall shenanigans, no vehicles, just bazookas; grenades; and guns.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

Can we please just have a gimmick-free character for once? No CO skills, no summons, no tag-team, no Looney Tunes 4th wall shenanigans, no vehicles, just bazookas; grenades; and guns.
... that's still consider a gimmick, shooting something is a gimmick, basically if your normal attack is a separate hitbox (if that is her hypothetical play style) that's not gimmick free.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
... that's still consider a gimmick, shooting something is a gimmick, basically if your normal attack is a separate hitbox (if that is her hypothetical play style) that's not gimmick free.
A unique element =/= a gimmick. Villager's forward air is not a gimmick, Villager's neutral B is.

In my view, a gimmick is something a character's entire playstyle revolves around, but no other character has.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Is it gimmicky if it’s just straight forward?

Not trying to be sarcastic but is Olimar plucking pikmin considered a gimmick? When without it he wouldn’t feel like a proper rendition?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Um? That's a bazooka
aw.jpg

Unless of course this is just really good fanart but it comes up really quickly in an 'Advance Wars' google search

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Not trying to be sarcastic but is Olimar plucking pikmin considered a gimmick? When without it he wouldn’t feel like a proper rendition?
1. Yes, and 2. being a proper rendition does not matter at all. This is a fighting game where balance is imperative, not ExplodingRabbit's Super Mario Crossover. Sure, they made Olimar work - but if they couldn't, Olimar just having a fixed set of Pikmin he can't throw would be much better than a poor game-to-Smash port.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Um? That's a bazooka
View attachment 329690

Unless of course this is just really good fanart but it comes up really quickly in an 'Advance Wars' google search
Perfect, showstopping, never-seen-before.

Neutral B should be that and it acts like the Cracker Launcher from Brawl, let’s go

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Bugs Bunny No Template | Bugs Bunny's No | Know Your Meme

Make them all gimmicks. ALL OF THEM! (or at least just this one since AW is the one series that fits a gimmick perfectly).

Also we already have non gimmick characters so I don't know what you mean by "for once".

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
It does make for interesting discussion. Andy could be a wrench bashing brawler and Sami could be the embodiment of an explosion

or

They could be generals leading overwhelming force into the battlefield.

Literally both would work

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I completely understand the notion of non complicated characters - but I feel Advance Wars as a series is sort of the perfect gimmick candidate
Yep, I know people don't care for gimmicks, but I personally don't care for representing a series worse than it could've been just because of completely unrelated characters added prior.

Also it's not like we're actually playing this game anyway, so I don't get the main issue. (Unless Venus is secretly Sakurai and has been developing this game behind our backs the whole time).

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Venus snuck a few red herrings in there. Unless we're getting a FNAF round, in which case I lead a revolt.
In that case I propose Sami to be a guns-blazing weapons master (which does require some technicalities) and leave tomorrow’s business for tomorrow. As long as the Advance Wars rep is some cartoony, flashy explosive fun I don’t mind whether we go the Fox route or the Steve route.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
A character having a gimmick, and a character being fun and simple are not mutually exclusive. looking at Ultimate, the last 5 DLC characters all have Gimmicks, and it goes all the way back to Joker if you count Byleth's Directional weapons and Banjo's Feathers, so I don't really see a problem as long as its fun. Ironically enough I think Banjo has the reputation as the least fun despite having the least intrusive gimmick.

I'm in favor of treating the series as we would any other fighter, and not trying to force it to be more bland than it has the potential to be.

But to address the actual topic of the discussion, vote for Sami so we can get some ginger representation!!!!!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don’t like giving prompts out earlier because I like to get a sense of suspense and urgency while having people not have handicaps when submitting content. That being said, for the sake of discussion; sanity, and cohesiveness…I do have a first-person shooter newcomer planned for the future.

I hate to reset the poll but I’m considering resetting it to add another option “Both”. Anyone against that option for those who want it?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don’t like giving prompts out earlier because I like to get a sense of suspense and urgency while having people not have handicaps when submitting content. That being said, for the sake of discussion; sanity, and cohesiveness…I do have a first-person shooter newcomer planned for the future.

I hate to reset the poll but I’m considering resetting it to add another option “Both”. Anyone against that option for those who want it?
You mean as alts for each other?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

No, not against it, I'm perfectly happy giving people extra options actually.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero

Whatever makes people in this thread happy.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I'd be game for a "Both" option! Bring it out, I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom