• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Will continue to sit out the RH stuff so I'll jump right to job 62

Job 62- Wario UI Addition

The player can now see a meter telling them how far along Wario Waft's charge is

Also want to explain my codename for The Stylist. I went with Taylor, which is both a womens name and is a homonym for the word tailor, which as we all know is someone who makes custom fitting clothing for clients. Feel like it's both on the nose but at the same time isn't too obvious as we've seen with other codenames

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Job 61: Submitted "Cheat" as Waluigi's codename (may change it later, as it seems a bit too obvious-if so I will let the thread know)

Job 62: King K. Rool now has a Belly Armor meter, that displays how much % more his armor can take. The belly % is displayed next to an icon resembling said belly. When at higher percentages, this % will become larger and warmer in color, like so:
35%
25%
15%
5%
It is displayed underneath of his normal % indicator.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Job #61
Submitted Isaac's codename as "Sol," referencing both Golden Sun's title and the Sol Blade. If we ever end up adding Sol Badguy this is going to be really funny in hindsight.

Job #62 - Kirby HUD Update
Kirby's HUD will now indicate the Copy Ability he is using, portrayed by a Copy Ability star and the character's render, drawn in the same way the Copy Stars do are.
Some examples:
1614615089467.png
1614615127762.png
1614615217610.png

If that's too complex for a simple HUD, we can simplify it to just the stock icons and/or a circle instead of a star, like this
1614615368578.png

Yet another alternative would simply be showing Kirby with the corresponding Copy Ability hat on the HUD, like so
1614615410377.png

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
#61:
Double Date

Double Date is a medium-sized stage designed with competitive play in mind. It has a walled, grassy platform, while the events of the minigame unfold in the background with Romeo kicking the balls and Julia watching the gophers, with it turning from daytime to sunset around the 4 minute mark and never turning back. (The 4 minute mark being chosen since the competitive standard is 8 minutes) The stage uses 2D graphics for characters, the bench, and the balls but 3D for everything else, a la Gamer.

The stage layout is simple. The pink platform is slightly shorter than the yellow platform and slowly moves from left to right (seen at left here), while the yellow platform is stationary. The platform appears in front of the events of the minigame, being slightly rised above the ground instead of the same ground Romeo and Julia are on.
FDB760E3-2E38-4E0C-ABB2-039A79B2D1EF.png

The Omega and Battlefield forms could be compared to Living Room's as they take place in the sky instead of slightly above the ground, though the couple and gopyers are still visible. The left platform on Battlefield is pink, the top is yellow, and the right is red.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
JOB 60:

RHYTHM HEAVEN (or Rhythm Paradise if you are in Europe)

The stage is the size of Kalos Pokemon league with no platforms

the background emulates the Rhythm Heaven Fever box art

The background also has Dozens of 2d Cameos from almost every single Mini game present in the series

Depending on the song being played on stage the lights in the background are different and so are the cameos.

There is a Rhythm based mechanic Occasionally you will hear some audio cues and Hair Vegetables will fall from the sky , hitting them in time with the audio cues will give you a buff, failing to do so will give you a debuff

TL:DR
Rhythm Heaven Stage.png
This is the Stage Approximation and Omega and Battlefield forms are the exact same background just with the platform changes

Job 62

Wario has a "Garlic Meter" next to his Hud that measures his current Waft level.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Job 60:

NIGHT WALK
Possibly one of the more iconic rhythm games from the series (even if it technically started out as part of an Mp3 player peripheral for the GBA). Night Walk has you controlling Play Yan walking through the night sky while jumping on boxes to the beat of the tune.

The original game was a sidescroller, but those don't transition themselves that well to Smash, so instead it'll be a completely still, medium sized stage, with a randomized layout, with platforms and ledges of various sizes.
1614621354592.png

Example layout i barfed up in paint.net with Barista himself as a refernce (not 1 to 1, of course). Reminder that these will be randomized, so layouts will vary

The little boxes one each pillar can be jumped off of to reveal flowers and give you a little boost. The boxes will close after a while. Plus Play-yan himself will occasionally float down from his balloons to jump through the stage himself, in which he will trigger all the boxes, have they not been triggered already.

The omega/BF form would essentially be the usual BF/FD shaped platforms with the blue pillars as the base with the cyan platforms lining the top and filling in for the floating platforms. An always default nightwalk layout will also be featured in the background, with Play Yan occasionally jumping by

I chose Night Walk because it's such an icon RH game, having variations playable in 3 of the 4 games. Plus, according to Megamix, this is actually the Barista's favorite minigame, so it gets some bonus points for that,

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Job 62 Lucario Strength increase

Given that Lucario gets stronger the more it takes damage, how about this. When Lucario takes certain amount of damage (I’ll say it will start at 30% and happens after every 30% damage) a familiar power boost is heard, complete with the effects being shown. A small text will arrive and say that Lucario’s attack has increased. It will be small to avoid taking up space.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Job 62
Pokemon Trainer improved swap
Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon no longer swap between stocks. Additionally you can press the button to the left while switching to go in reverse order (Squirtle into Charizard, Ivysaur into Squirtle, Charizard into Ivysaur)

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
The Barista is a character with a uniquely adaptive playstyle: depending on how the player sets his unique Tempo mechanic, his moves can be fast but weak or slow but powerful. No matter how his BPM is, though, he's a bit of a combo-based character with a variety of moves that come out quickly.

I'll let my previous post explain how Tempo works:

Okay, so here's my idea regarding a rhythm mechanic. I'll do the rest of the moveset later this weekend, but I just want to bring this up for now.

Let's go over some issues I think this mechanic needs to dodge.
  1. Alolan Whip has never made me feel like I was playing a rhythm game, so I'm uninterested in trying to convey it through moves like that. After all, this beat is non-stop; it isn't just contained to when you do things.
  2. Now, Barista's moves can't go to the actual song, unfortunately. After all, there's a lot of those, and we would have to sync up each one. What happens when it plays Environmental Noises? How does this work in a tournament setting? What if players have the sound off? There's a lot of structural iffiness there.
  3. The problem is, if you have any sense of rhythm, it'll feel wrong to go to a separate beat from that of the music. So we're in a bit of a pickle.
I think I have a solution, however.

What if we put the tempo in the players' hands?

Using a special move, players could press the B button twice. One for the first beat, and one for the second beat. That's all that's necessary to determine a tempo. The time between those two button presses will be the time between any two beats. From that point on, Barista will move to that beat, heralded by a ticking noise taken from Rhythm Heaven.

The faster the tempo, the less damage Barista's moves will do, but the quicker they'll be. The slower the tempo, the slower his moves, but they'll be more powerful.

Attacking on the beat will boost an attack's power. Attacking on an offbeat will boost the power a little less. Attacking completely out of time will make Barista's moves quite ineffective. And it'll play a silly "doink" noise. To humiliate you.

Also, if you set it way too low or way too high, it'll make use of the fact it's not really possible to distinguish between a BPM and half that BPM. If it's too slow, it'll multiply the BPM by 2 (or 4, or whatever power of 2 makes the BPM reasonable). If it's too fast, it'll divide the BPM by 2.

Oh, and if there's multiple Baristas, they share a BPM. It's a weird matchup quirk, but things get real screwy if there's two different BPMs going on.

Okay, but what's the benefit of this?

Well, it quite clearly fixes issue #1, so I don't think I need to elaborate on that.

But actually, I think this weaves its way between issues #2 and #3 perfectly. The tempo can't automatically match the current song, but a player can set it to match if they want to. It can even match music from outside the game this way.
I should issue a bit of a correction: the startup of many of Barista's moves will be unaffected - they'll be very short if you actually hit them on the beat. However, many moves will involve something happening on subsequent beats, and the time between those is what's affected.

Now, the Barista's a fairly small character, of roughly comparable size to Pikachu (but horizontal, like when Pikachu moves). Also like Pikachu, he's pretty lightweight.

The Barista is depicted as a 3D model, but retains his highly-stylized appearance from the original 2D artwork - including his bold, flat colors and general boxy shape. His animations all feature him bopping to the beat, as all Rhythm Heaven do.

I ended up not going with any summoning. Many Smash moves are quick, and if the player inputs them on the beat, the Barista's moves need to be even quicker for it to feel responsive. When you're working at that speed, summoning characters would be really hard to follow. I considered doing summoning for smashes and/or specials, but when I looked at the minigames I thought worked best as specials, summoning wasn't necessary to reference them. At that point, I figured it was best to drop the concept entirely.

Oh, and I absolutely didn't want to do anything where the Barista transforms into a different character. That has, like, zero precedent.

Jab: Based on Karate Man. A 3-hit combo consisting of two punches with one forepaw followed by a stronger punch with the other. The hits are 3 beats apart.

Dash Attack: Based on Night Walk Fever. The Barista rolls forwards. If you hold A and release it at the correct time, the Barista will jump in the air, knocking enemies along with him.

Forward Tilt: Based on Rhythm Rally. The Barista holds a ping-pong paddle in his mouth and hits a ping-pong ball forward. This move can be angled, which changes the horizontal distance and bouncing interval of the ping-pong ball - angled up bounces every 2 beats and doesn't go far, angled down bounces every 0.5 beats and goes the furthest, and normally bounces every beat. After a couple bounces, the ball will cease to exist.

Up Tilt: Based on Fruit Basket. The... sentient floor you play as during the minigame (apparently named Courtney, which is a great name) comes out of the floor, which bounces enemies upward. I guess this technically counts as a summon, but come on, he's the floor.

Down Tilt: Based on Flipper Flop. Having laid down during his crouch animation, he rolls over onto his back, then one beat later rolls back onto his stomach.

Forward Smash: Based on Exhibition Match. The Barista holds a bat in his mouth and winds up for up to 4 beats to deliver a very powerful swing.

Up Smash: Based on Cheer Readers. The Barista sits down and uses his forepaws to hold up a box, which he spins as the charge animation. A minimum of one beat later, he opens it to a page depicting a random RH character. The character displayed has no effect on the damage caused by opening the book.

Down Smash: Based on Karate Man Combos. The Barista performs a quick series of spinning kicks, ending with a backflip kick that sends enemies upwards.

Neutral Aerial: Based on Sick Beats. The Barista pulls out a strange D-Pad shaped device, which shoots tiny forks in each cardinal direction every half a beat. It'll shoot forward, then up, then back, then down. This odd attacks works well with the Barista's down-B, explained below.

Forward Aerial: Based on Air Rally. The Barista pulls out a badminton racket and swings it forward. This is a very quick attack if you hit it on the beat, coming out on the beat you hit it.

Back Aerial: Based on Space Dance. The Barista raises one of his forepaws and swings it behind him one beat later in an imitation of the "and pose"... er, pose. He holds his paw there, so it lasts a while.

Up Aerial: Based on Dog Ninja. The Barista faces upward with his back to the camera and pulls out two knives, holding them in his forepaws with a reverse grip. One beat later, he'll perform an inward slash with the left blade, followed by a slash from the right one beat later.

Down Aerial: Based on See-Saw. The Barista's fur gets all spiky and his midair momentum stops. One beat later, he crashes to the floor with a white-and-navy-blue particle effect. A stall-then-fall attack that's unique in that it'll always take the same amount of time to hit the ground (or blast zone!) regardless of high up you are.

Grab: The Barista rears up on his hind legs and attempts to catch the opponent in his forepaws. If he misses, he falls over.

Forward Throw: Based on Big Rock Finish. The Barista holds the opponent like a guitar and plays them in a tresillo rhythm. Inexplicably, this makes actual guitar noises. A 4-hit throw.

Back Throw: Based on Tangotronic 3000. The Barista spins the opponent around before striking his best imitation of a tango pose with the opponent. At the end, they inexplicably fly away.

Up Throw: Based on Splashdown. The Barista leaps high into the air holding onto the opponent, does a flip in midair, and then crashes back onto the ground.

Down Throw: Based on Love Lab. The Barista shakes the opponent up and down a couple of times before throwing them upward. A more tradtional upward-sending throw.

Rather than just choosing random minigames for the specials, I wanted to choose specifically minigames with prominence throughout the series' history.

Neutral Special: Karate Man

This is based on the series mainstay Karate Man, a minigame that appears in a prominent position in all four games. Like the vast majority of RH minigames, it's a cue-based game.

When you hit B, a pot begins to fly in from offscreen. One beat later, it'll cross the field of play in front of the Barista, at which point (assuming he's not in hitstun) he'll give it a fierce donkey kick to send it forward as a projectile.

The most notable property of this move is that there isn't any windup or endlag associated with hitting the button. It's displaced one beat later. So you can hit B while you're doing something else and it'll still work. Or you can time it so the pot cancels out of a move you just finished doing.

You can also hit B right as the Barista kicks the pot, to throw another pot. You can do this up to three times in a row. If you do, the final pot will instead be a rock.

Side Special: Built to Scale

This is based on Built to Scale, a series of minigames that's received a new interpretation in every game. While the gameplay of each one differs, each involves the transport or creation of Widgets (inexplicable objects composed of two squares connected by a rod) in a green, tiled factory. This move is based on the DS game, which happens to be one of the series' minigames where the player must hit the last note of a pattern.

In this move, the Barista summons one of the squares that makes up a widget, which plays a piano note. The square is about as big as he is. Hitting the B button again makes him push it forward, which plays the second note and sets the speed of the pattern. From there, the widget will roll forward at that speed, playing a piano note as it goes. It actually rolls in front of the field of play, not doing any damage. When the widget reaches the fifth note, a rod will be shot from offscreen into it, which is how the move actually does damage.

Bring out the widget is subject to the same rhythm bonuses as the rest of the Barista's moves, but pushing the widget actually lets you do it on 16th notes rather than just 4ths or 8ths. With that, you can make the widget go pretty fast, or even at pretty funky intervals.

There's a variety of ways to use this move. You can use it as a relatively-quick projectile, or a long-term trap that'll go off a while from now.

Up Special: Night Walk

This is based on a minigame from Rhythm Tengoku that's become a bit of a series staple. It's appeared as both the credits minigame in Fever, and returned in Megamix. It also cameos as a visualizer for 3DS Sound! It serves to represent the keep-the-beat minigames, of which there are usually a few in each installment.

Here, it serves as both a recovery move for the Barista and a way to change the tempo.

The Barista jumps diagonally upward onto one of the magical boxes from Night Walk. If you hit the B button, you can do this up to three additional times. Depending on what direction you hold the control stick, you can make him jump either diagonally up, directly horizontal, or diagonally down - either forward or backward.

Under certain conditions, a heart-shaped flower, lollipop, or umbrella may sprout from the boxes. This is the only part of the attack that does damage, launching enemies upward.
  • If you do it in time with the previous tempo (offbeats don't count), the second and third B hits will produce lollipops. The fourth will produce an umbrella.
  • If you set a new BPM, the third B hit will produce a flower. The fourth will produce an umbrella.

As a recovery, it's flexible and comes out quick, but takes significantly after that to actually deal any damage.

Down Special: Samurai Slice

Based on a recurring series of minigames that's received a new installment in every game. While its gameplay hasn't remained consistent the way Karate Man's has, these minigames always involve the Wandering Samurai fighting demons. This move is based on Super Samurai Slice, the game's incarnation in Megamix, though its visuals aren't pixelated like that minigame's are. In practice, that version of it is a call-and-response minigame.

When you hit down-B, a demon will appear, which can be done up to four times. Two beats after a demon appears, it'll lunge toward the Barista and attack him (and anyone in the path from them to him). However, right when they do, you can attack them. If you do, they'll be knocked back and explode another two beats later, which damages opponents.

Like Karate Man, hitting the button doesn't actually make the Barista busy. However, this attack doesn't have an automatic followup - it's all manual. This means you can't cancel out of attacks like you can with his neutral-B, but you can position the demons in such a way that they move through the opponent to get to you, or knock them in just the right place to get your opponent. And of course, you control the amount and timing of when they come out, so you can control the risk. If you've bitten off more than you can chew, though, you'll just end up damaging yourself.\

Final Smash: Final Remix

This is a cinematic Final Smash that changes the music. It starts with the Barista rushing forward. Anyone hit by this will then be put through a gauntlet that quickly transitions between several Rhythm Heaven minigames via screen wipe.

• They will fall into Karate Man, where Karate Joe will punch them off the right of the screen.
  • That leads them to Packing Pests, where the employee slaps them back to the left.
  • That leads them to Dog Ninja, where the dog ninja slices them, launching them upward.
  • That leads them to Air Rally, where they're hit with a badminton racket to the left.
  • That leads them to Rhythm Rally, where they're bounced like a ping-pong ball back to the right.
  • That leads them to Jungle Gymnast, where four white monkeys swinging from a branch will grab them and toss them upward.
  • That leads them to Spaceball, where they come out of a flowerpot and are hit by the spaceball player toward the screen.

From there, it transitions back to regular gameplay. If the enemy is over 100% at the end of the attack, they'll seamlessly go into their Screen KO animation once the Final Smash ends.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Job #62:

Shadow Mewtwo Final Smash

When Mewtwo is using the Shadow Mewtwo skin (one of our voted skins), Mewtwo's Final Smash will have Mewtwo evolve into Mega Mewtwo X, instead of Mega Mewto Y. In Pokken only Mega Shadow Mewtwo X has been shown to exist, so it wouldn't make sense for Shadow Mewtwo to evolve into Mega Shadow Mewtwo Y. The Function of the attack is the same.

On a side note, I wanted to include the Dry Bowser Skin having Blue flames, but I felt this was more important.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Voting for Ahemtoday's moveset. It's all that I want from a Rhythm Heaven moveset (No transformations or summons)
Edit: Forgot to vote for the second moveset. I'll vote for Commander_Alph's gimmick.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Man, all these character improvements are great. I want us to really expand on the roster and add improvements to a large amount of the cast. I decided to forgo voting which ones we like but to include all of them. That being said, please avoid adding duplicate entries. Please check first before making a submission to see if a character has been taken.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
if a character gets a visual improvement does that exempt them from being revamped?
No, not exactly unless it impairs the characters revamped moveset later on. Most likely, we would mold the improvements to be applied to the character’s revamped moveset. That being said, we won’t be doing that many revamps down the road. Probably a few more of them but not a lot.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Captain Olimar UI update.
Underneath Olimar's UI are 3 Pikmin stock icons, what these stock icons do is show the next 3 Pikmin you will be able to pluck under the ground. So for example if I have a red, yellow, and blue out, the stock icons will be white, purple, and red, in that order.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
I assume we will have one for Barista, but nobody submitted a reveal for Ashely, and Medusa was a twitter reveal so thats why there hasnt been one in a while. iirc the game awards trailer will be like Ken and Incineroar where they are both revealed in the same trailer. I think Venus said we will vote on the individual characters, and then come up with the trailer.

Voting for Venus's and Cashregister9's movesets.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Once we figure out what RH content we will include, then I will put out a reveal trailer request. Even though technically, speaking, this content wouldn’t be included in the actual textual reveal trailer - it’s roped along with it if that makes sense. All we need a text version of the character reveal. The gameplay and content montage doesn’t have to be included as we are inferring the content will be present.

I’m still waiting for someone to write Ashley’s reveal trailer....

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with WarioWare to make a full reveal trailer for Ashley, but I had an idea where Where Wario calls her over and over and she hangs up on him multiple times before finally picking up to hear she's in Smash. It would reference the opening cutscene to WarioWare Gold. Or alternatively Wario could call a number of his friends, and it be a mystery as to which one he is inviting to Smash, and then it end on Ashley.

WarioWare Gold opening Cutscene:
https://youtu.be/ZRic586KrRk?t=123

Or Luigi could be exploring a mansion and find Ashley, but that might be too similar to the Simon Reveal.

Feel free to take these ideas if anyone else wants to write the reveal.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Ashley trailer, eh?

It's a stormy night, the camera pans to the door of a dilapidated mansion. Luigi walks in with his Poltergust, being followed by Lucas. The orphan pats the plumber's back and gives a reassuring nod. As the two walk by, a framed painting falls to the floor, catching Luigi off-guard as he rushes to turn it over, revealing a ghost-free painting of the Golden Pyramid much to his relief.

Meanwhile, Lucas has noticed a door concealing a light behind it, seemingly from a lightbulb, which surprises him when it suddenly flashes purple. Lucas anxiously opens the door to see a portal to the underworld! A Smash invitation rises up from the portal and is then grabbed by a hand belonging to someone Lucas' age... the witch does a striking pose with her wand to which the reveal flares

ASHLEY curses the competition!

another reveal flare appears as Ashley falls slightly, humiliatingly freeze framed, surprised by the unexpected transformation of her enthusiastic wand - complete with a slight change to the tagline

ASHLEY AND RED curse the competition!

Lucas waves gently to try and make a new friend, before being caught in a magic blast and turned into a yellow-and-red spoon.

Cut to gameplay footage to the Brawl Ashley's Theme remix

After the Smash Infinite logo, we see Red gathering ingredients while Ashley is cooking up a potion with the aforementioned spoon and a green-and-blue pot - she takes the spoon out of the pot, looks at "it" and blushes slightly, not noticing the pot shaking, as if the curse is wearing off...

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Voting for Barita moveset will continue for 6 more hours.

Submissions for a Rhythm Heaven stage plus character improvement additions will conclude in about 15 hours.

Hi everyone, so I’ve been going through our timeline and I wanted to gauge people’s opinions regarding which first-party universe needs to get a newcomer. Please consider potential candidates for this franchise and if these candidates could theoretically with in Smash; both in terms of uniqueness and gameplay about also in regards to appeal and community reception. The results are not definitive and only serves to be used as a guide for future prompts.

Please visit this Strawpoll and vote for one universe you think needs a new rep

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Voting for Zelda, since the last fully unique newcomer was from melee, and all 6 reps are triforce holders. Additionally, Zelda has a lot of characters, and is one nintendo’s biggest series.

Almost voted for Donkey Kong, but I think the two reps for DK, dixie and funky, would not only work better as echoes, but probably will get in by themselves, and dont need a Donkey Kong character job prompt.

The other series could use reps, like Kamek, Porky, and Black Shadow, but at that point its not really a series rep since theres only one main option. (Although Poochy, Ninten, and Samurai Goroh exist I think theres a pretty clear frontrunner).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom