• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSB Brawl + Melee tournament. May 16, 2009

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
Well it took awhile but we finally have everything in order to hold a tournament here at the University of California at Santa Barbara. So here we go:

http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=6016 Thanks to Mio for creating on AiB

Time:

10:30 - 12:00 Registration/Warm-Ups
12:00 - 12:30 Set up Bracket and Start Doubles. Singles starts when Doubles winds down.
Both tournaments will run at the SAME TIME.

Venue:
Loma Pelona Student Resource Center. Decent size room with projector built in:
Map: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/712/ucsbsmashmap.gif

Parking is available in the areas circled in Pink; unfortunately it does cost a dollar. For free parking you can try and find a spot in the adjacent town Isla Vista, but due to construction it is hard to navigate unless you know the area. Places to eat are locate in areas circled and indicated in Red (mostly), and the actual Venue is circled in black. Call me once you arrive so that I can bring a cart to you to haul any set-ups you bring
Fees

Brawl Singles - $5
Brawl Doubles - $10 (5 per person)
Melee Singles - $5
Melee Doubles - $10 (5 per person)
Venue Fee - $3

No splitting of places.

In addition to the big shiny room you will also get access to complimentary snacks and drinks.

If you bring a complete set-up (TV + console + game) then we will waive the venue fee.

Pot Distribution

Singles (60%, 30%, 10%)
Doubles (60%, 30%, 10%)

In keeping with consistency I've decided to mirror much of the rules of UCLA (essentially I'm copying)
- You may ban neutrals (FD, PS, DL64, BF, YS, FoD)
- Wobbling allowed
- Mages' DQ Rule

The Mages DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a match and it goes as follows:
2 Minutes Late – Warning
4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late – Loss of set

Tournament Rules

Brawl:
General rules:
3 Stock

8 minute timer

Items are set to "off" and "none"

All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch and excessive stalling is banned.

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stalling is banned.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages

Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter:
Pokemon Stadium I
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise

Melee:
* 8 minute time limit on all matches.
* Items off.
* Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
* First stage is random from the Neutral stages listed below.
* Each player is allowed to reset the random stage once; this forces a new random stage to be picked. If the new stage has been previously reset by either player during the same set, that stage is reset again. (Random Stage Reset)
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
* No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
* Each person (or team) may choose one counter-pick stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked. You may not ban neutral stages.
* Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
* For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
* Wobbling is not banned.

Stages:

* Singles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium
* Singles counterpicks: all Singles Neutral stages plus Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64, Mute City, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria.
* Doubles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Kongo Jungle 64.
* Doubles counterpicks: all Doubles Neutrals plus Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria.
* Things to note: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City are banned for doubles; Kongo Jungle 64 on Doubles Neutral.

For both Brawl and Melee Winners' bracket finals, losers' bracket finals, and championship sets are all best 3 of 5.

AIM: acecombatdragon
e-mail: ajpaul@umail.ucsb.edu

TVs:

1. Gosu_engineer
2. DanteFox
3. Junkinthetrunk

Wiis

1. DanteFox (melee)
2. Junkinthetrunk

Cubes

1. Gosu_engineer
2. CableCho57

Side note: there will be LAN party happening at the same time next door from us if anyone is interested they can bring their own games and play with UCSB students

Results:
Brawl doubles:
1: Cen Cal
2: Would you like some spam
3: utility tiara
4: Cookies and cream
5: Ultra sara
5: Enseguido
7: Spicy poop
7: The fighting mongooses
9: Totally smashed
9: Mint chocolate chip
9: PJ
13: galactic destroyers X
13: Alex + BS
13: team awesome

Melee doubles:
1: tiers don't exist
2: Brawl noobs
3: 3
4: Team Gayness
5: Huy + Cable
5: more than 3

Brawl Singles:
1: Junkinthetrunk
2: WarpStatus
3: SRK
4: Dantarion
5: Cory
5: Zork
7: Dragulz
7: Ultra Luigi
9: Austin
9: huy
9: Gio
9: Foo
13: Spicy
13: delicious
13: Jad
13: Joe-z
17: serno
17: Ryuujin
17: Gino
17: west
17: Cecil
17: Max
17: Matt
17: Alex
25: BS
25: Jaquilein
25: Chris
25: Alex Ling
25: Shaun
25: Sara
25: John

Melee Singles:
1: IDK
2: DanteFox
3: SRTN
4: huy
5: Juan
5: John
7: Mr Q
7: WarpStatus
9: BS
9: Gino
9: Zem
13: Dantarion
13: Cho
17: Alex

KiRdaY

Smash Cadet
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!, thats my birthday weekend an im going to be out of town... -.-

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
top 3. I'm calling it right now.

gosu, please tell me you'll team with me for this.
I probably won't be directly participating since I also have to help run the LAN party next door...team with Josh or cho, or the IC's guy who's name I cannot spell correctly cuz it has a silent J in it

...did I mention there will also be a LAN party next door?

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Just a suggestion: you should mention that in the title and OP, just for extra incentive.

Fine. I guess I'll team with one of the other guys. Btw, the guy's name is spelled Andrej.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
Just a suggestion: you should mention that in the title and OP, just for extra incentive.

Fine. I guess I'll team with one of the other guys. Btw, the guy's name is spelled Andrej.
okay I could mention the LAN though not sure people on smashboards would go to something where they had to haul their computer to.

And yeah Andrej....that really trips me up

Lovage

Smash Hero
whats the venue like?
i remember that brawl + melee tourny at that high school hella long ago had a fine venue

DanteFox

Smash Champion
whats the venue like?
i remember that brawl + melee tourny at that high school hella long ago had a fine venue
the one I hosted along with David? This venue doesn't have couches but it offers lotsa space. Think UCLA-ish where you'll sit in chairs and the tvs will be on tables.

There are two big rooms. One will house the LAN party/food, the other will house the smash.

edit: did I mention there will be free snacks? (candy, cookies, soda) lol

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
the one I hosted along with David? This venue doesn't have couches but it offers lotsa space. Think UCLA-ish where you'll sit in chairs and the tvs will be on tables.

There are two big rooms. One will house the LAN party/food, the other will house the smash.

not just smash. any console you want to bring technically.

and within reason...don't take all the food...they might get mad at you since it's for everyone

Lovage

Smash Hero

yea i went to that tourny with kilo a while back
does anyone in SB play guilty gear or ssb64?

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Lol dude the bus is not that serious. Imma just catch a ride or not go. It would have just been a convenience like when i go to ucla. Its cool though.

Junk DGH

Smash Apprentice
most smashers in the la area are lazy/have no reason to go to this

that said gosu u should put fliers around campus hell ill put them up if u make them

Top Bottom