• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uair discussion

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
As many people know Doc can combo or juggle characters wih his uair usually fastfallers at high % and marth at around mid %. I've seen this done in recorded matches and in combo vids (I've done a few myself as well) but I always seem to have trouble getting them apart from on rare occasions. So this made me think- is it timing when I uair out of a short hop, is it what part of the Uair I hit with, is it how high they are off the ground?

The problem is I really don't know. I know that barely any combos have a 100% success rate but I know that they should work most of the time provided you do them the right way. I'm asking this to any Doc player/player that knows anything about how to combo with Uair what they do to string them together so well. With marth for instance, I usually go for a dthrow to utilt and try and follow with Uairs but I can only get one before the marth jumps to safety. Should you only dthrow to utilt at certain %s or should it mostly be dthrow to uair. I'm fairly sure you should do different things at certain % but I don't know how to properly adjust and at what %.

Pine

Smash Ace
you really can not chain like too many u airs in a row.... it is too easily DIed and such...... the best way to do it is simply as quick as possible after leaving the ground...which is...jump with x/y then up + a the uair.....usually you wont get more then 2 or 3 on a good person

Sudai

Stuff here
I just recently started using them more fluidly in my game, but here's my two cents.

I've found that the best thing to do is just to hit one or two UAirs and follow with something a bit more substantial. F/DSmash if close to the ground. Hard NAir if a bit up and away. SHFAir if close but too high to get an F/DSmash.

Against Fast Fallers it's a bit different for me though. Jab > Grab is nice when they're low. Upward FSmash for mid heights at high percents, USmash when at lower percents. If they're high up, I usually just go for the fair or another UAir because, unless they're at ******** high percents, a UAir will just set them up for one of the things mentioned above.

I've only really gotten UAir combos down well within this past week or two though, so take my words as you will.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
It's a combination of the 3.

You just have to sit down in training and work with it. Learn percents, etc, etc.

And yes, 3 most, maybe.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
I just recently started using them more fluidly in my game, but here's my two cents.

I've found that the best thing to do is just to hit one or two UAirs and follow with something a bit more substantial. F/DSmash if close to the ground. Hard NAir if a bit up and away. SHFAir if close but too high to get an F/DSmash.

Against Fast Fallers it's a bit different for me though. Jab > Grab is nice when they're low. Upward FSmash for mid heights at high percents, USmash when at lower percents. If they're high up, I usually just go for the fair or another UAir because, unless they're at ******** high percents, a UAir will just set them up for one of the things mentioned above.

I've only really gotten UAir combos down well within this past week or two though, so take my words as you will.
I pretty much agree with the methods described here; but to elaborate briefly in erms of the questions BB posed, I'd have ot say timing is the key issue. How high your opponent is and the way you set them up (IE what moves you used beforehand, their %), while all crucial, are just issues that ultimately effect timing. Becuase timing is the one big dependent thing here, i'd definitely say its what you should pay attention to. In my experience its going to decide what you do; based on the opponents DI, how you're approaching, whether or not you've L-canceled each consecutive Uair, how late in each shorthop you're doing it, how fast they're falling, etc. The "Doc prestige combo" as I call it(several Uairs to Fair), while excruciatingly awesome, is generally fairly circumstantial, though the range of opportunities for pulling it off is definitely broadened as you get a feel for it. As far as I understand, its best to practice repeated, juggling Uairs with DI reading and at different speeds/frequencies (IE how fast you're moving accross the screen vs. how often you jump/wavedash, etc.) and on characters of different weights and percentages. You should be able to come up with a general system to deal with how the timing changes.

That being said.. >.> .. I think Sudai's system is a darn good example of what we're aiming at here.

Top Bottom