• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

U-Air Spike on Ivysaur

Areon Tomek

Smash Rookie
I've mained Ivysaur for about 8 months now. My Ivysaur is heavily based around my offstage game. While I do use B-Air and D-Air to edgeguard and kill, I find myself using Ivysaur's U-Air spike a lot. When I watch the well known Ivysaur players like Denti and JZ I only ever see them spike with D-Air. Is this because U-Air spike is bad, or is it just their playstyle?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
JZ definitely spikes with up air lol. It's a pretty solid option. As always there are situations where other moves cover better.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
well it is pretty weak

But I have an hypothesis as to why it works well on some people.
Meteor cancelling is the same for every meteor in the game. You have to not press anything for 16 frames, else you're going to eat a penalty and be unable to move for much longer, which is probably going to result in losing a stock.
This is different from other hits, where the weaker the move is, the sooner you can act.
This is very important to know in the case of Ivysaur's belly stomp. It's a weak meteor, as opposed to her dair and, well, most other meteors in the game. So people kinda have the instinct to try to meteor cancel it sooner than they'd try to cancel strong meteors. It's what your intuition tells you to do.
That's where this move becomes dangerous. If you follow your instinct, you're going to eat the penalty and die in the most ridiculous fashion possible. You actually have to wait a bit longer than what seems right, and only then meteor cancel. And a LOT of people fall to this trap.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Nah what makes a move a spike as opposed to a meteor is if the angle it sends you (not accounting for DI I believe ? not sure) is more than 10 degrees from the vertical axis. Everything that's vertical is a meteor, everything that's at an angle is a spike.

And Ivy's belly stomp is as vertical as it gets :p

Last edited:

Areon Tomek

Smash Rookie
Thank you very much for all the replies. My bad on calling it a spike instead of a meteor. I can't find many 3.5 Ivysaur gameplay videos on youtube, does anyone know where I could find more?

Top Bottom