• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Typhlosion For Smash Ultimate

Beaver Control

Smash Rookie

Whats To Say A Pokemon With a lot of potential. If you have any ideas for a move set then go nuts.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the cyndaquil line are my favourite pokemon but i feel theyve missed their chances]

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
I like Typhlosion but I think there's zero chance of this happening. Pichu is already in as a gen 2 rep, and I think gen 7 will be a higher priority.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Typhlosion is my Favorite Pokémon, and the only character that would be more hype is Marx. But Gen 2 and HGSS were so long ago, and Typhlosion isn't that Popular, so I cant see it happening.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If we're going for a popular gen 2 Pokemon the only one that has a shot is Ampharos. Gen 2 starters overall aren't that popular. Shame because 2 of them are cool.

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
I'm going to ignore chances and just take a crack at the moveset. Typhlosion's level up moves have a lot of fire, smoke, and curling into a ball, so I'll work from there. Let's throw in a warm-up and cool-down mechanic for fun: Whenever Typhlosion deals 20% damage, it's attacks will have stronger flames until it takes 20% more damage than when it activated this effect. We'll call this mechanic "Blaze."

A- A simple claw strike
AA- A quick headbutt that moves Typlosion's head down into a position where it can flare it's flame at them.
AAA- Typlosion spews smoke continuously unless Blaze is activated. With Blaze, it changes to a single burst of flame.
Up tilt- Typlosion stands up straight to bite upwards.
Side Tilt- Typlosion spits a Flame Burst that is wide enough for spacing.
Down Tilt- Typlosion beats its fire collar into the ground to spread smoke. Can bury opponents when enhanced by Blaze.
Running A- Typhlosion rolls into a shimmering ball to roll into an opponent. Something like Donkey Kong's.
Up Smash- Typlosion shoots Swift stars in three directions.
Forward Smash- Does a front flip to spread smoke/fire in front of it.
Down Smash- Rolls into a wheel and spins on its side. Something like Wario's..
Grab- Pounces on top of the opponent
Pummel- Stands up straight with the oponent on its flaming shoulders.
Forward Throw- Stands up straight to kick opponent foward.
Backward Throw- Lifts its hind legs to push the pinned opponent out from under it. Causes Typlosion to roll forward.
Up Throw- Creates a plume of lave from the ground.
Down Throw- Grabs opponent in its mouth and slams them into the ground.
Nair-Spins like a wheel.
Bair-Plume of smoke/fire from back. Pushes Typlosion forward.
Dair-Slashes downward repeatedly with its claws.
Fair- Shoots Swift stars forward.
Uair-Spins like a wheel with smoke pluming out. Pushes Typlosion upwards.
B (Burn Up)- Typlosion emits a "shimmering heat haze" from its body as per the pokedex. If Blaze is active, an explosive blast happening instead that deactivates Blaze. Can be used to escape a frozen state from a Freezie.
Side B (Flame Wheel)-Typlosion rolls forward like Jigglypuff or Sonic. Can be charged to leave brief but harmful flames on the ground.
Up B (Gyro Ball)- Basically what would happen if Samus's Screw Attack had the trajectory of Sheik's Bouncing Fish.
Down B (Smokescreen)- Creates a lingering, obscuring cloud of smoke that only hides Typlosion within the area it's used in. Can be used twice before a new cloud replaces an old one.
Final Smash (Eruption)- A catch-and-KO move like Triforce Slash. If an opponent is caught by the smoky projectile emitted, Typlosion will charge underneath the lifted opponent to hit them with a massive torrent of lava spewed into the air. The lava damages anyone it touches, but only deals knockback to those caught in the intial smoke attack.

The Blaze mechanic probably needs tweaking. What you you guys think?

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I feel like Incineroar has more of a chance. That's not to say I hate Typhlosion. I support him!

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
If we're going for a popular gen 2 Pokemon the only one that has a shot is Ampharos. Gen 2 starters overall aren't that popular. Shame because 2 of them are cool.
Are you insinuating that Meganium, the most glorious and happy little dinosaur that ever lived, is not cool?

Beaver Control

Smash Rookie
Are you insinuating that Meganium, the most glorious and happy little dinosaur that ever lived, is not cool?
Seeing as I have these 4 moves in Hg, I feel like they would work. Probably just my opinion, but here goes:
Thunder Punch
Eruption
Focus Blast
Earthquake
Seems like a good move set but im still having trouble with seeing him without flamewheel

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'd love Typhlosion in Ultimate!
Here's a detailed moveset I made for the pokemon a bit ago; (look below spoiler for a summerized/highly-simplified version)
* Mechanic
Burn-Out; When reaching rage percent the knock-back bonus from it doesn't apply to Typhlosion (even having the opposite affect on the character's knock-back, specifically on fire moves). Making the character one with great early potential but weaker compared to others late game. A rather opposite play-style mechanic to Lucario's. The black smoke affect still shows on Typhlosion's icon but instead of emenating white smoke from the character its black/grey.

* Attacks
Neutral Attack
-Fury-Swipes; Stands up and lets out continuous claw attacks.
Dash attack-Gyro-Ball; Quickly spin in a 'ball' then enter back to normal 'stance'.
Up tilt-Slash; Slash in an upward arc above Typhlosion.
Side tilt-Double-Kick; Quickly let out a 'double kick'. Decent knock-back move that can be a K.O. option at the ledge when most opponents are around 200%. (like Sonic S-tilt)
Down tilt-Low-Kick; Spins around, letting out a 'low kick' that can trip.
Up air; Back fur points upward and embers emanate. A short-rang attack that can K.O. at the very top of the stage but isn't spammable with its high end-lag.
Dair; Spin in a ball laterally to be momentarily suspended. (like Mario Dair)
Fair-Aerial-Swipe; Unleash a forward slash with claws. Can be used to K.O. a high percent opponent off ledge close to the 'blast zone'.
Bair-Flame-Burst; Typhlosion releases a small explosion behind him, propelling him a small distance forward. Has good knock-back and can be used as a kill-option.
(With Burn-Out active, explosion hit-box is smaller, it doesn't propel Typhlosion, and its no longer a viable kill-option)
Nair; Spin around in a fiery ball (like flame wheel but with slightly smaller hit-box). Similar kill power to Uair or Fair.
(With Burn-Out active, loses kill power)
Side smash; Charges a fiery fist then thrusts forward. Relatively short-range.
(With Burn-Out active, becomes less effective as a kill option)
Down smash-Overheat; Create a small powerful explosion around Typhlosion but with significant start-up and end lag. Can be used for edge-guarding.
(With Burn-Out active, loses the raw knock-back power, making it a weak kill option)
Up smash; Typhlosion's fiery 'crest' burns above him.
(With Burn-Out active, becomes less effective as a kill option)
Neutral special-Eruption; A powerful flaming attack above Typhlosion but only when at low percent. (Comparable to Ivysuar's neutral bullet seed attack but with greater kill-power and range) In the air its half the power and quickly thrusts Typhlosion to the ground with a weak hit-box but leaves Typhlosion vulnerable with a little bit of end-lag on the ground. The power of the move directly correlates with the percent of the user, making it a strong initial attack or a good finisher when coming off a new life to 'clean' the opponent's stock. Around 0%-35% it can be used as one of the most powerful kill options Typhlosion has. Around 35%-65% the move gets steadily weaker but is still a viable kill-option. By 65%-99% the move is noticeably harder to K.O. with and will require a mix of good positioning and high percentage on your opponent's end in order to net the K.O.
(With Burn-Out active, has very little usage outside of just being a quicker way of getting to the ground when in the air because it only lets out a small weak explosion above Typhlosion)
Side special-Flame-Wheel; Spins into a flaming ball and rolls around whichever side you choose. Has decent knock-back, making it a kill option against opponents at high percents. A good lateral recovery option. (Similar to Yoshi's Egg-Roll or Bowser-J.R.'s Kart-Charge)
(With Burn-Out active, lowers the speed, range, and knock-back of the move)
Down special-Heat-Haze; Creates a decently sized shimmering heat haze around Typhlosion that 'burns' weak projectiles or objects/items and does a small amount of damage overtime to anyone inside but doesn't flinch opponents so it can be easily interrupted by physical attacks. (somewhat similar to Ness/Lucas 'Magnet-PSI' down-special)
(With Burn-Out active, lowers the range and damage of the move)
Up special-Blast-Burn; Quickly faces back towards the ground, letting out a powerful fiery explosion below that can spike and launches Typhlosion a great distance upward for amazing vertical recovery but puts Typhlosion into a defenseless free fall with a lot of lag when landing on the ground.
(With Burn-Out active, lowers effective distance by nearly half and greatly reduce spiking potential)
Grabs; Short range
Dash-grab; Short range
Pummel; Bites opponent.
Forward throw; Launches opponent forward. A very basic throw for positioning. When at high percents can be one of Typhlosion's best options for getting others offstage in order to follow-up and finish them off.
Back throw; Spins wildly backward and launches opponent laterally away. Can kill very high percent opponents at map ledge. This can act as possibly Typhlosion's best kill option when 'Burn-Out' is active but can be difficult with Typhlosion's low grab range and the move not netting the K.O. on most opponents till 150% or greater.
Up throw; Launches opponent above Typhlosion in order to easily combo into 'Eruption' and can act as a kill confirm when within about 35% and the opponent is at high percent.
Down throw; Pummels opponent to the ground then lets out an explosion that sends them forward diagonally up in the air. The focus of this 'throw' is damage and positioning. Although, at the ledge it can K.O. most opponents around 180% if Burn-Out isn't active.
(With Burn-Out active, lowers the damage and knock-back of the move)

Final Smash-Burn-Up; Expands a heat wave outward from Typhlosion into a large radius, damaging and flinching anyone inside then once fully expanded releasing a huge explosion inside it. Puts Typhlosion into a temporary Burn-Out for 10 seconds.

* Movement
Jumps
; Decent to below average jump height.
Rolls; Quickly rolls with shimmering embers around. Very effective.
Dodges; Shimmering embers cover Typhlosion's dodge. Very effective.
Groundspeed; Above average
Airspeed; Slow-Falling. Medium controlled movement, making Typhlosion feel very smooth and free-flowing in the air.
Weight; Medium

* Animations/Functionality
Match-start animation
; A cloud of smoke hides Typhlosion but it quickly clears away as Typhlosion bursts into flame and embers surround then fade.
Up taunt; Lets out a might roar with his fiery crest flaming out and adding to the noise.
Side taunt; Spins as a fiery ball in place with flames behind him like a car tire revving up.
Down taunt; Creates a burst of smoke then pokes head out to survey then smoke clears.
Crouch; Crawls flat to the ground.
Idle Animation; Stands up on hind legs (like official pokemon games sprite)
Running Animation; Run on all fours
When Footstooled; Goes into normal free fall with body 'bent' inward and small arms limp.

* Analysis
Synopsis
; A character with one of the biggest advantage states at the start of a match or while on a fresh life but conversely one of the weaker characters as the fight drags on in the opponents favor. Typhlosion's good speed, dash attack, Flame-Wheel, and powerful Eruption allow it to command the pace of the battle and maintain that momentum if played carefully, taking as little hits as possible. As such, speedy characters that can fall through the cracks and capitalize with fast damage/combos can pose the biggest threat to Typhlosion. With tools like Heat-Haze or Flame-Wheel and Typhlosion's overall rush-down style it does generally surprisingly well against zoning characters. In practice however, Burn-Out is a very tricky mechanic though cause if you can't make use of it early on to rack up damage and get the K.O. then you can constantly be behind in the match, only being able to make a comeback through evening the stocks by finishing the opponent's stock upon using your fresh one and carrying that momentum. While ground-game is stronger and faster, Typhlosion's air-game is decent and allows moderate character movement control despite having slight difficulty getting safely on stage or defending against approaching enemies from below. Typhlosion's grab game is overall quite difficult to pull off with his short grab range and other factors but if done correctly can be useful at all points in the match for setting up to finish opponents stocks. Overall, Typhlosion encourages a very aggressive yet tactical style of play in order to put pressure on the opponent while maintaining power throughout the match.
Difficulty of use; Medium
Beginners may really enjoy Typhlosion's initial boost of power but may rely on spamming powerful laggy moves that leave them open for damage then fail to net the K.O. because of it. Although they could probably easily get the kill after coming back on their new stock. However, beginners could easily fall into the trap of relying on certain moves and never improving/experimenting further with the character. All this making Typhlosion a fun character for beginners at least initially but not easy to learn as you would need good fundamentals to master the character and win the most matches.
Fighter Classification; Rush-down/Technical
So if you were just interested in the specials, as a lot of people are, then here you go!
Side-Special: Flame Wheel Pretty self explanatory and practically a necessary inclusion to the pokemon. Could be comparable to Yoshi Egg Roll or Bowser Jr. Kart Charge.
Neutral-Special: Eruption At peak performance it works a lot like Entei's attack when summoned but is overall more similar to Ivysaur's Bullet Seed special. Couldn't not include this!
Down-Special: Heat-Haze Kinda like the PK boys PSI-magnet but instead works as a constant weak hitbox. Wanted to incorporate this because of Typhlosion's dex entries.
Up-Special: Blast Burn Basically like Ivysaur's down-air but fire instead and sends Typhlosion upward.

Looking back on this moveset, I'm not entirely sure why I came up with the Burn-Out mechanic, seeing as there is no direct move or ability from Typhlosion by that name. But I still think it works with the Pokemon given the all-out nature of the many moves Typhlosion tends to utilize mixed with the dex entries that allude to the pokemon's rage.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I support. Typhlosion is a cool starter Pokemon. I honestly love all the Gen 2 Starters

Fun Fact: Typhlosion has the exact same Base Stats as Charizard

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I hate how little love the Gen 2 starters get. They never got Megas, and it would've been perfect to give them galarian forms to really show they're giving them to non-G1 Pokemon.

Top Bottom