• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Two Sides of the Same Aegis: The Pyra & Mythra Social thread

link2702

Smash Champion
Ok so IDK if anyone's gonna put a metagame discussion up, or fi there's a discord but.....

one tiny little trick i found with mythra switching to pyra....her traction is so low that you can do a pseudo "roll" behind an opponent(possibly as pyra too, but way easier as mythra, and more useful anyway switching to pyra from mythra in this situation anyway) if you dash towards them and when right up close change to pyra. you'll slide right behind the opponent and can catch them sometimes off guard with a smash as mythra, or at least a tilt. should be a useful mixup so long as it's not blatantly obvious when you do it. Drawback is if you don't do it just right you might misinput her side b instead, and leave yourself wide open. Shotos and terry obviously this won't be anywhere near as useful on of course, but still decent anyway against many other characters.

I'm sure others already found this, I figured it out literally in the first match I played as them(partly cuz I was curious about it to begin with, I noticed the slippery traction while switching right from the start.)

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Really? Seemed to take Japan to get people to change their tunes. Overall, you seem kinda pessimistic. I am about Pyra, but that's at least partly I like her and don't want her to be competitively irrelevant.
I don't mean to be pessimistic. I think the character as a whole (Pyra/Mythra) is very good overall. There are just some design decisions on Pyra that I don't particularly agree with and think go too far. Specifically her recovery being as bad at it is which severely limits edge guarding and her terrible movement speed. She just serves less of a role in her team than Charizard does in his in my eyes.

However I acknowledge I could be terribly wrong. I wasn't initially impressed with Sephiroth when he was released and he ended up being crazy good and rapidly replacing Terry and Ganondorf for me.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't mean to be pessimistic. I think the character as a whole (Pyra/Mythra) is very good overall. There are just some design decisions on Pyra that I don't particularly agree with and think go too far. Specifically her recovery being as bad at it is which severely limits edge guarding and her terrible movement speed. She just serves less of a role in her team than Charizard does in his in my eyes.

However I acknowledge I could be terribly wrong. I wasn't initially impressed with Sephiroth when he was released and he ended up being crazy good and rapidly replacing Terry and Ganondorf for me.
Hearing your posts makes it sound to me like you basically are trying to use Pyra like Charizard, who is an advantage pushing rage snowball. Besides the obvious ledge scenarios, the times that are best for Pyra are when the opponent tries to slow the game down and not meet the swift Mythra head-on.

On a side note, I feel like the Zacian & Zamazenta spirit was practically made for these two.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
It's a pretty good match, yeah. Enhanced Rex is also a pretty good spirit for them, the skill is generally worse, but you get the same series bonus plus the shield bonus against attack spirits.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Late to the party on talking about Pyra & Mythra, so I'll give my thoughts on the two.

These two characters actually gave me a reason to boot up Smash Ultimate again. And I am so happy that they did.

Pyra feels way more fun to me, sure she's slow as hell but the oomph and impact her moves have feel really satisfying to hit. Mythra I do struggle controlling just because of how fast she moves, but I like them both. However, I do seem to use Pyra more over Mythra.

Tier List wise? I think if the two are together, they're probably a Top 5 character. However if you're solo maining one or the other? I think Mythra will probably be either at the top of High Tier or bottom of Top Tier due to having really fast buttons, tons of combo routes, decent edgeguarding tools and being incredibly hard to catch due to how fast she moves. Whereas Pyra I feel like she'll either be middle of Mid Tier or top of Low Tier mainly due to being incredibly slow with a bunch of her buttons and having a very gimpable recovery unless you swap to Mythra and try to Side B to the ledge or stage.

:ultmythra:
  • Crazy combo routes
  • Incredibly fast meaning she's hard to catch and hit.
  • Decent recovery and OoS option with Up B.
  • Decent edgeguarding tools.
  • Low damage
  • Will probably find it hard to nab KOs on stage.

:ultpyra:
  • Strong damage.
  • Insane kill power.
  • Solid ledgeguarding with Side B.
  • OoS option with Up B seems good and it can ledge snap.
  • Incredibly slow.
  • Poor recovery with Up B.

However, they're still really fun and I love how they play. Also, I did learn that Pyra can Auto-cancel her Aerials from a Full Hop, so that's handy.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Can I just say Pyra's no-Rex victory screen is freaking adorable? I mean, just look at that face. She's so happy she won. May just beat sleeping Pikachu as the most adorable victory screen to me.
On the topic of victory screens sorta...anyone else think Rex's model might actually be better than Shulk's legitimately? I mean, look at that anchor, it's pretty high quality for an NPC.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
On the topic of victory screens sorta...anyone else think Rex's model might actually be better than Shulk's legitimately? I mean, look at that anchor, it's pretty high quality for an NPC.
Rex in general appears a lot more than Chrom did in Smash 4, 4 out of 6 victory screens use him in addition to appearing in taunts.

I've been hearing people starting to call Xenoblade the Final Fantasy of Nintendo due to recent successes, however I feel like Fire Emblem had already been doing that (even though it's strategy), the general tone of the series makes me want to call it the Dragon Quest of Nintendo instead.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Rex in general appears a lot more than Chrom did in Smash 4, 4 out of 6 victory screens use him in addition to appearing in taunts.

I've been hearing people starting to call Xenoblade the Final Fantasy of Nintendo due to recent successes, however I feel like Fire Emblem had already been doing that (even though it's strategy), the general tone of the series makes me want to call it the Dragon Quest of Nintendo instead.
Plus the on stage appearances. At least he gets to hold the swords briefly. Still, at least they put in effort to make sure he's present so much. But still, his model being arguably better than Shulk, and potentially Chrom as I think he might have one of the worst fighter models. At least they didn't skimp on them.

Hmm, well, whatever it is, perhaps Xenoblade will be the next Fire Emblem.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmm, well, whatever it is, perhaps Xenoblade will be the next Fire Emblem.
So long as Xenoblade doesn't get the Pokémon kind of character selection like Fire Emblem does, seeing as X seemingly is just getting minor content for this time.
I could see Rex pulling a :ultchrom: by the next game if fans want it hard enough, though.

Arthur97

Smash Master
So long as Xenoblade doesn't get the Pokémon kind of character selection like Fire Emblem does, seeing as X seemingly is just getting minor content for this time.
I could see Rex pulling a :ultchrom: by the next game if fans want it hard enough, though.
X had poor timing and somewhat lackluster reception. Still, there's a lot more to pull from for FE and Pokemon, but in series without a consistent cast, it's to be expected. It's yet to be seen if X is really going anywhere too as right now it stands as their weird one off. Kind of like Sacred Stones for Fire Emblem for example. Though, as for my stake in the series, I'll have to wait and see. Really liked 2, 1 was...not my favorite, and was not really a fan of X.

I would actually love Rex getting the Chrom treatment, but that depends largely on the fans I think. It seems Japan mostly carried Chrom, and they do seem more favorable to XC2 in general, but Rex is not among the most popular protagonist unfortunately. Though maybe his master driver look getting more exposure will ease complaints as to his design. He'd need some animation tweaks probably and a new set of specials, but I could seem him being an inbetween, static version of Pyra and Mythra.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
X had poor timing and somewhat lackluster reception. Still, there's a lot more to pull from for FE and Pokemon, but in series without a consistent cast, it's to be expected. It's yet to be seen if X is really going anywhere too as right now it stands as their weird one off. Kind of like Sacred Stones for Fire Emblem for example. Though, as for my stake in the series, I'll have to wait and see. Really liked 2, 1 was...not my favorite, and was not really a fan of X.

I would actually love Rex getting the Chrom treatment, but that depends largely on the fans I think. It seems Japan mostly carried Chrom, and they do seem more favorable to XC2 in general, but Rex is not among the most popular protagonist unfortunately. Though maybe his master driver look getting more exposure will ease complaints as to his design. He'd need some animation tweaks probably and a new set of specials, but I could seem him being an inbetween, static version of Pyra and Mythra.
We still managed to get Corrin back despite being previously massively disliked themselves (even outside of the context of Smash), so who knows, really?

Granted, that one's mostly due to "everyone is here!" though Sak clearly likes Xenoblade, so.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, Ultimate is not a good base for who will and will not come back. Next game should be a stressful nightmare with potential cuts.

I was a bit concerned about that interview he had where he didn't seem too excited about them and talked about how they were relatively easy to implement, but, I mean, they went out of their way to get new artwork for this pack as well as a rather detailed NPC model, so it's not like they were kicked to the curb.

Irving

Smash Rookie
So not sure if this will lead to anything but I noticed that pyra's up b can hit big characters like dk while they're under a battlefield platform because the sword hitbox extends underneath the platform, you guys think this could be used to edge guard as the hitbox would extend past the ledge and maybe catch recoveries before they grab the ledge? Or would it be too situational and hard to pull off compared to side b? Could be away to kill early but have to test out.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So not sure if this will lead to anything but I noticed that pyra's up b can hit big characters like dk while they're under a battlefield platform because the sword hitbox extends underneath the platform, you guys think this could be used to edge guard as the hitbox would extend past the ledge and maybe catch recoveries before they grab the ledge? Or would it be too situational and hard to pull off compared to side b? Could be away to kill early but have to test out.
Yes it can be used against recoveries if you use it well. I've seen some use down air too since it has a pretty big hit box.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, I did play around with Pyra and Mythra a bit after the update released, and the two are definitely very polarizing. Maybe a bit too polarizing in terms of overall mobility though.

I mean, I get why Pyra is considerably slower than Mythra, seeing as pretty much all of her aerials have KO viability, but being a slower runner than even Villager can feel a bit distasteful when you're trying to pursue your adversary, and you can't afford to switch to Mythra. Also, Pyra only really has one recovery move, while Mythra has two different recovery specials that she can use.

On a side note, I'm actually surprised that Pyra is just as heavy as Mario, because that high offensive power of her's does seem to warrant nerfing her weight a bit, but I guess being such a slow fighter on the ground is one way to balance her.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, I did play around with Pyra and Mythra a bit after the update released, and the two are definitely very polarizing. Maybe a bit too polarizing in terms of overall mobility though.

I mean, I get why Pyra is considerably slower than Mythra, seeing as pretty much all of her aerials have KO viability, but being a slower runner than even Villager can feel a bit distasteful when you're trying to pursue your adversary, and you can't afford to switch to Mythra. Also, Pyra only really has one recovery move, while Mythra has two different recovery specials that she can use.

On a side note, I'm actually surprised that Pyra is just as heavy as Mario, because that high offensive power of her's does seem to warrant nerfing her weight a bit, but I guess being such a slow fighter on the ground is one way to balance her.
It makes sense for her to be heavier than Mythra since she's slow.

Personally I would've preferred her being a bit faster even if it meant a bit less power, but maybe once I get used to her I'll feel differently, I dunno.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

That's just plain adorable, have you all seen this?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It makes sense for her to be heavier than Mythra since she's slow.

Personally I would've preferred her being a bit faster even if it meant a bit less power, but maybe once I get used to her I'll feel differently, I dunno.
I guess part of me feels that Pyra and Mythra should share the same weight. But on the other hand, the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon do have different weight values that affect their survival chances.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I guess part of me feels that Pyra and Mythra should share the same weight. But on the other hand, the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon do have different weight values that affect their survival chances.
Even if it's not just due to balancing or a certain cutscene, the stuff Pyra is wearing definitely looks considerably bulkier than Mythra's short dress.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's only 5-6 points of difference so it doesn't make too too much difference. But I will say that Mythra's speed allows her to survive well, so I'm for Pyra being heavier.. it's just, well, same I said before. I think I'm warming up to her tho, we'll see how it goes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's only 5-6 points of difference so it doesn't make too too much difference. But I will say that Mythra's speed allows her to survive well, so I'm for Pyra being heavier.. it's just, well, same I said before. I think I'm warming up to her tho, we'll see how it goes.
Pyra's not exactly meant to be a tank, here or in Xenoblade. She's more about the well-placed critical level 3 Blazing End doing more damage in a single hit than Mythra could ever manage. If I land solid hits with Pyra that knock opponents very far away but don't quite KO them, why shouldn't I switch to Mythra and chase them down faster instead of just waiting for them to come back? Even just taking one swing with Mythra before transforming back again can make all the difference in giving Pyra chances to land a devastating blow.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pyra's not exactly meant to be a tank, here or in Xenoblade. She's more about the well-placed critical level 3 Blazing End doing more damage in a single hit than Mythra could ever manage. If I land solid hits with Pyra that knock opponents very far away but don't quite KO them, why shouldn't I switch to Mythra and chase them down faster instead of just waiting for them to come back? Even just taking one swing with Mythra before transforming back again can make all the difference in giving Pyra chances to land a devastating blow.
I think that's a fine plan. The transformation is fast but still uses a second, so I don't think it's always the strategy to go with, but mythra's definitely fast to chase down someone XD

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Curious how do you guys play neutral with Mythra? I feel like I get too desperate trying to go for down tilt and that leads me to a disadvantage state. I know Back Air is a good tool as it can combo into itself easily, but I was wondering if anyone had any other tips?

Also, not sure if this is the place to ask but is there a Pyra/Mythra discord? Really want to try and improve my play with them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm convinced I'll be maining Mythra and Pyra. Especially Mythra because I'm really liking the speed more than I thought. I'll be using Pyra a bit less, but not just for kos. I'll find how I like to play them with time :)

Curious how do you guys play neutral with Mythra? I feel like I get too desperate trying to go for down tilt and that leads me to a disadvantage state. I know Back Air is a good tool as it can combo into itself easily, but I was wondering if anyone had any other tips?

Also, not sure if this is the place to ask but is there a Pyra/Mythra discord? Really want to try and improve my play with them.
All her moves are good and fast. Whether you approach with d-tilt, f-tilt, f-air or nair, those are the more direct ones. D-air can end up being a kind of cross up since you can get to the other side.
And if they block then just grab :p
F-tilt has good range and is a fast enough poke, and it can combo into itself too at some percents. It's not bad.
Most important is still to read your opponent, dash around because she has great speed so you can definitely bide your time for openings or play mind games.

And f-smash and up smash when there's a chance, does good damage plus can kill at higher percent. When they're off stage, neutral b can be good if they're not too low, or up-b to snipe them from a bit away. or run off and use an aerial to get them, she's fast to use them and can recover, but still have to be careful, she doesn't have the best recovery still :p

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Well I love playing Pyra/Mythra, but I'm learning I suck at Smash despite how much time I put into it. I always whiff my air attacks, and can never seem to properly dodge in the air. But as much as I practice with COMs, it doesn't really prepare you for real people.

I'm continuing to experiment to see what works, and I don't want to favor one over the other, because I think it's a strength that there's two of them together. I've been trying to switch more often to keep my opponent guessing on what I'll do next. The sheer difference between the two is huge, and going back and forth between speed and strength can really make it difficult to fight the two.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, who's interested in playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 after playing with Pyra/Mythra?
I'm planning to, but it's going to wait until after I've beaten Persona 5 Strikers, at the very least. I got Xenoblade 2 a while ago, but it never really hooked me - I didn't even get to the point where Mythra shows up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Having gotten some time in with Pyra and Mythra, I'd say they have the potential to be the best characters in the game but have one major weakness in that their projectiles come with major downsides.

Pyra's makes her unable to attack while it's out and Mythra need to use her up special to fire her projectiles which puts her in a tricky spot if done wrong.
However, Pyra's Blazing End will be incredible in a team battle with friendly fire off as she can throw it out and if the opponent shields it, they'll be wide open for the teammate.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Out of all the Mythra Vs. Kazooie arts I've seen so far, this is easily the best one.

And I don't even need to worry about the language in it to post, too.

So, who's interested in playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 after playing with Pyra/Mythra?
I bought a copy ages ago. Still need to focus on my backlog, though.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm starting to feel like calling Mythra's censored clothes "Massive Melee" ended up being hilariously prophetic, because the two seem to embody a lot of the traits you typically find in the competitive Melee meta.

Also Pyra sometimes says "I'm sorry" when she gets KOed, real heartstring pulling stuff there.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I already have it. It's been about 2 and a half years since I finished it, though. But I do have the urge to start New Game + at some point.

Unfortunately, I got my hands full with other games to play at the moment.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I recently posted some Pyra and Mythra screenshots on my Twitter account.

I also posted screenshots of the new Pneuma and Rex spirits.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Have you guys encountered any match-ups where the usual "rack up damage with Mythra and KO with Pyra" strategy doesn't feel like the best option? Against Snake I've found it better to stay mostly as Pyra because Blazing End can stop his grenades or even lock him in shield while he's holding one. The grenades can also lead to many trades, but using Pyra guarantees you get more damage out of those.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Have you guys encountered any match-ups where the usual "rack up damage with Mythra and KO with Pyra" strategy doesn't feel like the best option? Against Snake I've found it better to stay mostly as Pyra because Blazing End can stop his grenades or even lock him in shield while he's holding one. The grenades can also lead to many trades, but using Pyra guarantees you get more damage out of those.
Against pretty much everyone, Pyra is great to bring out if start going full on defence, which will happen more often when people realize that doing so is one the best answers to Mythra instead of trying to meet her frame data and disjoints head-on. Beyond that Pyra is scary to challenge for the likes of Jigglypuff or Squirtle because of her big range and damage per hit, and their slipperiness means it is easier to pile on damage with single hits than combos.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Funny, I actually found I prefer sticking with Mythra against very agile and light characters like Pichu. She can keep up with them better, and low weight opponents makes her weak launch power less significant.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Funny, I actually found I prefer sticking with Mythra against very agile and light characters like Pichu. She can keep up with them better, and low weight opponents makes her weak launch power less significant.
It depends largely on what kind options they have, mainly ones that allow them to cover distances very quickly, stuff like Pikachu's Quick Attack make Pyra less attractive for sure.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Knowing when to alternate between Pyra and Mythra does depend on the opponent. While using Mythra for her increased mobility may be good for approaching, being far weaker in the power department does make it harder for her to take down the heavyweight fighters; Mythra's aerials definitely lack the power to make KOs, but at least her air game is nowhere near as awful as Little Mac's.

Also, after launching a fighter with Pyra's attacks, one may consider switching to Mythra to chase down the launched target, but you do waste some time when switching.

And in the scenario where Pyra gets sent flying, players should keep in mind that Mythra's Photon Edge does have recovery properties, so switching during that time could make all the difference when trying to get back on-stage. Just be aware that Mythra falls faster than Pyra.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's a lot of good smash players saying that Mythra and Pyra are top or op, and I don't like seeing that XD I don't think they're as good as their impressions. The only things I wouldn't mind seeing changed is foresight and pyra's up-b power. (and also the bug where you can push her off stage into freefall right after she does it.) And I guess the blazing end shenanigans :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom