• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Two Sides of the Same Aegis: The Pyra & Mythra Social thread

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not sure if they'll change weight, but we'll have to wait and see. For some reason I kinda expect weight to be the same. Though, just looking at their specials, it seems to be Mythra will have the better recovery. Especially if her airs mobility is also better. Though as quick as the change seems to be, should be doable mid recovery. Wonder if Pyra can meteor with hers.

Though, in terms of specials, Blazing End could be an interesting move. Maybe it'll give Pyra another edge.
Yeah I really don't know. But like Charizard is much heavier than the other pokemong.. but these girls ain't pokemon XD

I'm a bit concerned about Blazing End, because if you can't act when you use it it leaves you really vulnerable if they dodge it.
Mytra has more to recover for sure, but I think maybe Pyra's up-b is faster, so maybe she's good with that. I feel like it could be more dangerous to edge guard her. Just guesses.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If she can do sacrificial KO's, then yeah, she at least comes with some risk factor. Though, honestly, both up specials seem a bit vulnerable. Maybe if Pyra has a rising hitbox it'll help with that.

And, yeah, Blazing End could blow up pretty easily it seems. Still, if it hits below the ledge...could be potent.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If she can do sacrificial KO's, then yeah, she at least comes with some risk factor. Though, honestly, both up specials seem a bit vulnerable. Maybe if Pyra has a rising hitbox it'll help with that.

And, yeah, Blazing End could blow up pretty easily it seems. Still, if it hits below the ledge...could be potent.
Both seem to have a good rising hitbox for their up-b, but my impression was that Pyra's is faster (not sure), and yeah could possibly spike.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Mythra's has a staring one, but doesn't seem to have anything as she's rising, so might leave her vulnerable. Don't really see how Pyra's interacts, but it may hit at the apex of the jump too. Not sure about on the way. Looks like it might have something (though we only see the landing hit), so she might be the safer vertical option.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mythra's has a staring one, but doesn't seem to have anything as she's rising, so might leave her vulnerable. Don't really see how Pyra's interacts, but it may hit at the apex of the jump too. Not sure about on the way. Looks like it might have something, so she might be the safer vertical option.
Yeah you're right, I don't remember it having a hitbox after the start. (mythra's)
Good speculation.. but we really could use that presentation XD

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We also don't know yet if Pyra is heavy or not. If she can survive longer that's a really good thing too :)
I feel as though you are forgetting the recovery part of survival here... Mythra just seems to be almost completely superior to Pyra here, having a forward moving special, an up special that doesn't force her to crash down and Foresight, if it happens to trigger on airdodges. Even if Pyra does happen to have a weight advantage I doubt switching just because your percent is high will be a sound strategy.

Yeah I really don't know. But like Charizard is much heavier than the other pokemong.. but these girls ain't pokemon XD

I'm a bit concerned about Blazing End, because if you can't act when you use it it leaves you really vulnerable if they dodge it.
Mytra has more to recover for sure, but I think maybe Pyra's up-b is faster, so maybe she's good with that. I feel like it could be more dangerous to edge guard her. Just guesses.
Charizard also actually has a better recovery than the other two Pokemon. In terms of grabbing the ledge both of their up specials seem to be about the same.

indeed depends on how the projectiles work. if they go indefinately or have a range that will matter.
I'm pretty sure there's not a single projectile in this game that travels forever.

Ray of Punishment and Chroma Dust may be pretty effective at ledge too. At least in the right spots.
You mean sniping people far offstage when you say at ledge right? Why stop there? She jumps so high when doing either move you're unlikely to die from it, so don't be afraid to blast people going low. It's Pyra you should scared of at the ledge, all of her specials eat many options there.
Both seem to have a good rising hitbox for their up-b, but my impression was that Pyra's is faster (not sure), and yeah could possibly spike.
Actually I think Mythra only gets a rising hitbox when she uses up b on the ground (Ray of Punishment), using it in the air gets Chroma Dust instead with a stronger blast but no rising hit.

The main thing that could make using them both good is that invincibility when you transform. If it's fast to counter attack that way, someone could time it well and change a lot.
If not, it could be better to stick with mythra until it's time to ko. (or to survive if pyra is heavier)
If you know your combos as Mythra well, why would you not want to turn into Pyra once they are done to maximise damage while they're still trying to land? The latter could also be stronger on defense with moves that are scarier to challenge and trade with and work better out of shield.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
meleebrawler meleebrawler well that's what we were talking about for up-b. I don't doubt that Mythra is overall superior to recover, but if Pyra is heavier, and her up-b is faster and has a lasting hit box, and you can take down someone with you, she won't be bad and she'll be better for vertical recovery. I think she's not a fast faller so she could possibly stay in the air longer. We don't know if Mythra has faster air speed horizontally, or by how much.

Also, for using mythra's up-b on stage, I'm not sure how good it'll be to use it often, because it puts you in freefall and you have to wait till you fall back to the ground. At least with Pyra you can shoot downwards to finish. And maybe you can even not do that part if you don't press again.

I'm wondering about Chroma dust! It'd be fun to be able to use it just like that in the air :) I do wonder though how it works when you're in the air, like how high can it make you go? because maybe it affects recovery :O

For when someone's trying to land, well, it depends how they'll play.. but mythra has faster attacks, so you would be less vulnerable if you miss an attack (and faster follow up). I dunno tho. It'll be cool to find spots that Pyra is good for .

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Aggressive Kazooie/Mythra interaction is an entire genre of fanart now. What a world.
"Honestly, what was Sakurai smoking, letting some horny-bait swordfighter girl like you on the roster!? I always thought Smash was for good boys and girls!"

"scoff, Excuse the hell out of me!? At least I was popular from day one! You apparently needed to mooch off Smash to get your popularity!"

"Girl, I was one of Rareware's All-Star lineup! Me and Banjo have left enough of a mark on Nintendo's history for people to ask them for us to be on the roster!"

"And guess what? You lost that prestige the moment Microsoft put you in a car!"

"Oh, you piece of-!"

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Anyone predicting what the Pyra/Mythra themed Online Tourney will be?

My guess is either sword-based or female-exclusive based.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Anyone predicting what the Pyra/Mythra themed Online Tourney will be?

My guess is either sword-based or female-exclusive based.
Maybe something based on duos? We have Rosalina & Luma, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, and Banjo & Kazooie as far as duos go. Seems like enough fighters for that kind of tourney theme.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Since Mythra got a special traits with foresight, I wonder if Pyra got something extra too in some way. The only possible thing they showed could be 'powering up with fire', maybe there's more to it than we know. Or.. maybe something we haven't seen yet.

Super Bario

Smash Cadet
I haven’t been on Smashboards for a while, came back to say W00T!!!

In all honesty I’m pretty much done with characters I wanted to see in Smash now. Ridley and Pyra were the two characters I wanted to see most (with or without Rex) so I guess I’m just going to be sitting back Watch what Sakurai dose next. (Which will probably be someone with a sword because LOL)

I.D.

Smash Lord
Since Mythra got a special traits with foresight, I wonder if Pyra got something extra too in some way. The only possible thing they showed could be 'powering up with fire', maybe there's more to it than we know. Or.. maybe something we haven't seen yet.
I don't have any real evidence to prove it beyond gut instinct, but I think their gimmick might be that they charge up their gimmicks by landing specials.
For example, Pyra maybe being able to store a flame normal attack for each special she lands and if she doesn't have any stored they are just regular attacks.
For Mythra she gets a charge of foresight instead, and when she doesn't have any she just dodges like normal.
Maybe they charge each other up? (Pyra gets Mythra's charges and viceversa) which would make sure you want to swap between them.

It would kinda imitate Xenoblade 2's battle system in that you build into stronger attacks by using specials, or raise affinity in foresight's case.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't have any real evidence to prove it beyond gut instinct, but I think their gimmick might be that they charge up their gimmicks by landing specials.
For example, Pyra maybe being able to store a flame normal attack for each special she lands and if she doesn't have any stored they are just regular attacks.
For Mythra she gets a charge of foresight instead, and when she doesn't have any she just dodges like normal.
Maybe they charge each other up? (Pyra gets Mythra's charges and viceversa) which would make sure you want to swap between them.

It would kinda imitate Xenoblade 2's battle system in that you build into stronger attacks by using specials, or raise affinity in foresight's case.
Can you explain the parts of the trailer where an utilt and a nair both precede a flame normal? I think it's just move dependent, and I also think Pyra's "gimmick" is just hitting disproportionately harder than Mythra, especially on her smashes. Plus, I don't really want there to be any mechanics to make it feel as if you have to switch.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Yeah those are possibilities, I kinda lean away from that though, I'm thinking they don't have to have charges of any kind and that mythra's dodges will just be op XD
lol I dunno. But yeah like meleebrawler meleebrawler I'd rather be able to play whichever one without having to switch to power up the other, just like pkm trainer it's better now that they don't have the stamina system. But who knows maybe attacks do charge those things. But the reason I think there's no charge/meter, is because the dodge foresight is very situational, and it just feels weird if it only charges that for mythra. It'd make sense for pyra's case more, but yeah I'm thinking it just activates automatically, although maybe there's a limit and time until they happen again. I dunnooo

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So many questions that need answering. Too bad that we're still in the dark on whether or not Sakurai will do another presentation video; he did one for Sephiroth after all.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Any songs you lot would love to see make it into Smash since we're getting Pyra & Mythra?

I can see about 10 I'd love to see make it in. Though I think some may be spoiler-ish? I'll probably list what I think would be original or a New Remix.

Also, have you lot ever noticed whenever Chuggaaconroy does an LP on Xenoblade Chronicles, a character from one of the games ends up in Smash? Maybe lightning will strike thrice and we get a Xenoblade X character in next? Hmm...

Guess I could also ask who are your five favourite Rare Blades too. Not just based on their Battling capabilities but based on personality and design. Since we do have a lot of Rare Blades.

And guess I can be a good boy and share one bit of yuri here. :mybodyisreggie:

1614092701606.png

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So many questions that need answering. Too bad that we're still in the dark on whether or not Sakurai will do another presentation video; he did one for Sephiroth after all.
Im pretty sure its 100% chance we will get a video. We hhave had a video for everyone but Joker.

The question instead is when we will get the presentation

Arthur97

Smash Master
On one hand, it seems odd Mythra would get a special mechanic and not Pyra. On the other it would be unfortunately fairly accurate.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I can't imagine we wouldn't get a presentation a week or two before their release. Who knows if it'll be 10 minutes long or 30 minutes, but I'm sure we'll get something. He likes showing off the DLC (and rightfully so, I'd be proud too, the DLC has all been pretty spot on with the source material).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'd be surprised if we didn't get a presentation. They seem to have enough going on to deserve one :) And, the fans wanna seeee XD

MattX20

Smash Hero
Any songs you lot would love to see make it into Smash since we're getting Pyra & Mythra?

I can see about 10 I'd love to see make it in. Though I think some may be spoiler-ish? I'll probably list what I think would be original or a New Remix.

Also, have you lot ever noticed whenever Chuggaaconroy does an LP on Xenoblade Chronicles, a character from one of the games ends up in Smash? Maybe lightning will strike thrice and we get a Xenoblade X character in next? Hmm...

Guess I could also ask who are your five favourite Rare Blades too. Not just based on their Battling capabilities but based on personality and design. Since we do have a lot of Rare Blades.

And guess I can be a good boy and share one bit of yuri here. :mybodyisreggie:

All I want is Gormott's theme to be fully satisfied. It's my favorite overworld theme of the Xenoblade games

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
On one hand, it seems odd Mythra would get a special mechanic and not Pyra. On the other it would be unfortunately fairly accurate.
They could always give Pyra armor on some moves instead. My feeling is that difference in standard mobility between the two is not actually that high, so Mythra needs all these other traits to give the impression of speed.

Arthur97

Smash Master
They could always give Pyra armor on some moves instead. My feeling is that difference in standard mobility between the two is not actually that high, so Mythra needs all these other traits to give the impression of speed.
Even if her mobility isn't that much greater, her frame data is also better. Call me a pessimist, but I'm not sure how much she'll get.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We really just have to see how sakurai an the team decided to balance them. I think they probably should've gave her enough for both to be equally good, though at the same time they're not competitive players so they don't always consider everything. I'm really curious to see tho xD

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Even if her mobility isn't that much greater, her frame data is also better. Call me a pessimist, but I'm not sure how much she'll get.
Would you be bellyaching this much if the roles were reversed? Just being fast with good frame data isn't an automatic recipe for success, and using multiple characters equally in every situation is just as much of a sign of something going wrong as one being overwhelmingly better in most of them, as it most likely means they're too similar.

These two girls are a team, and being in a team isn't about determining who makes the larger contributions to success. Pyra has her own strengths separate from Mythra, and as long as she can leverage them when needed, that's all that matters. It's not like their game of origin's story treats Pyra like chopped liver the minute Mythra enters the picture.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Would you be bellyaching this much if the roles were reversed? Just being fast with good frame data isn't an automatic recipe for success, and using multiple characters equally in every situation is just as much of a sign of something going wrong as one being overwhelmingly better in most of them, as it most likely means they're too similar.

These two girls are a team, and being in a team isn't about determining who makes the larger contributions to success. Pyra has her own strengths separate from Mythra, and as long as she can leverage them when needed, that's all that matters. It's not like their game of origin's story treats Pyra like chopped liver the minute Mythra enters the picture.
Honestly? No. Still, knowing how Smash usually goes, there seems to be a decent chance she will be the more situational of the two, especially without a little something extra. I'm not entirely sure how they could balance it otherwise. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but Smash almost always favors the speedy.

It's not really story that was the issue, it was gameplay. If anything, she had some great scenes after Mythra showed up. Though the plot may occasionally give a mixed message or two.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, they can always get balance buffs later, I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

That being said, we finally got a decent spirit event this week:

As much as XCX gets put aside, at least it didn't get skipped over entirely like Bravely Second...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Arthur's right that faster characters have been better.

But here's the thing, besides Ganon, it's not such a huge difference that a good player can't make it. Mkleo is doing amazing with Byleth even though it's a slow character, he's just a really good player. I think the most important is to have fun and use the characters the way that fits with you ;)

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, yeah, I may use Pyra more both for character and moveset preference. Guess I just kind of have fears that the "meta" will once again leave her in the dust. Not that I didn't work to make her quite strong in her own right. To the point that she may have been killing things too efficiently during my grinding.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean, yeah, I'll probably use Pyra more both for character and moveset preference. Guess I just kind of have fears that the "meta" will once again leave her in the dust. Not that I didn't work to make her quite strong in her own right. To the point that she may have been killing things too efficiently during my grinding.
I think she'll be good enough. Good range and power can count for a lot too. In the big picture of things, if an attack is safe (like doing good spacing), it's safe. and if you get more out of it than a weaker one, then Pyra might shine there. I think landing lag will be a big factor too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom