• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two jump buttons and no tap jump

shepdogg

Smash Rookie
I recently changed to having both y and z be jump. It makes doing djc wavedashes a million times easier and more reliably and longer as well. Is there anything I'm missing by not using tap jump?

Boiko

:drshrug:
I find that the fastest DJC aerials are performed with tap jump. So long as you're comfortable, it doesn't really matter.

ilysm

sleepy
Tap jump makes it a bit easier to do DJC aerials in a certain direction without messing up the aerial, i.e DJC nairs. But it's really a matter of preference.

redbeanjelly

Smash Cadet
Tap jump makes it a bit easier to do DJC aerials in a certain direction without messing up the aerial, i.e DJC nairs. But it's really a matter of preference.
Yeah, DJC up air is easier with tap jump; saves an input.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Heh. I just mash X. Works for me. I don't see what the benefit of using tap jump really is if I can tap X twice about as fast as I can press X then up on the control stick. I'm also not big on changing my control scheme since I'm afraid it could mess up my Melee chops, where you can't change the controls. I may consider it if something somehow convinced me.

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
Using tap jump is just faster. Try doing an immediate dair with the c stick while double tapping x, then try with tap jump. Much faster.

QUBiX

Smash Cadet
Tap up makes a big difference with it comes to instant DJCs. I personally use R and X for jumping. I can get the same quick timings like tap up DJCs, but the input timing is a little more strict. Though tap up + R is godlike. Still trying to settle on my definitive jumping scheme..

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Using tap jump is just faster. Try doing an immediate dair with the c stick while double tapping x, then try with tap jump. Much faster.
I use A for all aerials unless I'm doing a falling up air while I have a jump. Then I C-Stick. (Though that mostly applies to when I play Sheik) I mean, I just kinda slide my thumb from X to A and my DJC Aerials are pretty quick. I have a (admittedly kinda old) video of me playing where I have some decent DJCs going on if you wanna see for yourself. Game two is a better example than game one, I'd say.

I've gotten a lot better since then. In neutral, and especially at getting conversions off of fair, dair, and magnet. (This is the only footage out there of my playing Ness right now) I think it's at least a decent example that double tapping X can't be THAT bad.

Also pardon the constant PK Flash. I just kinda went for it because he only really punished it, like twice out of 20 times I tried it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom