• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twitter Conversation Leads to SonicFox Challenging ZeRo in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

zerosonicfoxarticlegraphic.jpg

Thumbnail image courtesy of @Bactover
On June 17th 2018, Echo Fox's Dominique "SonicFox" McLean made a public challenge aimed at Team SoloMid's Gonzalo "ZeRo" Barrios, to face him in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

The challenge originated from a joke made on June 16th by Brian "Cosmos" Kalu, which was later replied to by SonicFox with a confident joke in return. From there, the conversation quickly led to multiple players commenting about the viability of SonicFox performing well within the Smash meta.

In the middle of all of that, ZeRo said, in a now deleted tweet, about how he felt personally slighted by SonicFox in 2015. This inspired SonicFox to go straight for the man considered to be the top of Super Smash Bros. Wii U. In the span of two minutes, ZeRo accepted and added some weight to the challenge. SonicFox agreed to the terms.
ZeroSonicfox.jpg
There was a problem fetching the tweet

At this time, no official time or place has been announced for the match. However, Chris Ceg, the Executive Producer for ten/o LLC, has offered to assist in working out the logistics of making the match "more interesting."

While there has been some crossover between the Fighting Game Community and the Smash Community, this may be the biggest event conjoining the two. At the time of this article’s publication, no further official details have been announced. We at Smashboards will continue to watch as the story progresses and will continue to update readers as needed.

Last edited:
Austin "Verity" Karn

Comments

That is some fantastic drawing in the thumbnail!

Imagine it...The GOAT of Smash 4 vs The GOAT in Injustice, Smash 4 EVO winner vs Injustice EVO winner, one of the greatest Platform Fighting Game player vs one of the greatest Traditional Fight Game Player, Weeb vs Furry (I should stop lol).

Still, gotta wonder, who will ZeRo and SonicFox will main in Ultimate? I predict ZeRo will go Diddy or Sheik..maybe Shulk. For SonicFox, Fox or Wolf since that is his fursona..maybe he will go Ryu since he is from a Traditional Fighting Game in which will give him some familiarity.

Otherwise, I am defintely look down to it!
This is going to be hype! Hopefully they will do this at a major.

I will choose ZeRo side hands down but a part of me kinda worries.

If SonicFox DID beat ZeRo in Ultimate in a span of 3 months, it will make the Smash community feel bad. I will see a lot of FGC people humiliate Smash for not being a "real" fighting game and how easy you can master Smash brothers. Because of this, I really fear for that.

Last edited:
I don't really like Zero's "You brushed me off so now I don't want you in our scene" kinda attitude. (I'm actually not a big fan of SonicFox, I just don't really think that's fair, I'm sure he was busy/distracted). Interested to see this match though. But it's risky. If SonicFox wins, it'll make the Smash community look pretty bad. We already have the "not a real fighting game" stigma, and this will just make us look more like plebs. "Sonic only played for 3 months and got better than the best Smash player lul" will be all over the internet.

I wanna see SonicFox beat ZeRo, but I highly doubt it. He recently lost in DBFZ to HookGangGod, he must think Smash is easier to be thinking about transitioning, but it isn't like that...

I don't really like Zero's "You brushed me off so now I don't want you in our scene" kinda attitude. (I'm actually not a big fan of SonicFox, I just don't really think that's fair, I'm sure he was busy/distracted). Interested to see this match though. But it's risky. If SonicFox wins, it'll make the Smash community look pretty bad. We already have the "not a real fighting game" stigma, and this will just make us look more like plebs. "Sonic only played for 3 months and got better than the best Smash player lul" will be all over the internet.
Nah, if he trains just to beat ZeRo it wouldn't be that hard. Being good at Smash requires more than being able to beat one player. I'm sure many Smash players want ZeRo to lose, too. I'm not a ZeRo fan myself.

TIL there's people who play fighting games that don't know about SonicFox or are surprised by the furry thing... lol.

Honestly....SonicFox is going to lose. It's just as simple as that, even though I don't mind seeing ZeRo lose, it wont happen here.

SonicFox is coming from fighting games that are, at their core, slightly different from Smash Bros, and that difference causes a huge difference in gameplay mechanics and such.

While Injustice 2, Dragon Ball Z, and Mortal Kombat all play relitavely similar to each other (health bar, long winded combos, flat no platform/edge stages), Smash is different and plays very differently. He appears to be going into this with the mindset that this game is just like all the rest he has played, and he will be very mistaken.

I'll probably watch it on youtube anyway, I like watching good matches.

He's probably going to main 1 of 4 characters. 1) Bayo for her combo game, 2) Ryu for his similarity to the fighting games SF is used to, 3) Fox because furry or 4) Sonic because furry.

lol

God I hope SonicFox is open to taking bets on that match. I'd put $1k on zero wiping the floor with him.

This is good news smash ultimate scene is shaping to be the big. Like him or hate him Sonicfox is good for smash. I feel more melee players willing to give this game a shot too. Its in all of our best interests that this game has a massive impact. Keep on smashin.

Honestly....SonicFox is going to lose. It's just as simple as that, even though I don't mind seeing ZeRo lose, it wont happen here.

SonicFox is coming from fighting games that are, at their core, slightly different from Smash Bros, and that difference causes a huge difference in gameplay mechanics and such.

While Injustice 2, Dragon Ball Z, and Mortal Kombat all play relitavely similar to each other (health bar, long winded combos, flat no platform/edge stages), Smash is different and plays very differently. He appears to be going into this with the mindset that this game is just like all the rest he has played, and he will be very mistaken.

I'll probably watch it on youtube anyway, I like watching good matches.

He's probably going to main 1 of 4 characters. 1) Bayo for her combo game, 2) Ryu for his similarity to the fighting games SF is used to, 3) Fox because furry or 4) Sonic because furry.

lol
he said he wont play bayo already. you are missing a lot of games he dominated: soulcalibur 5, injusrtice 1 and 2, skullgirls, mvci and more. thinking these games are simliar is just plain wrong.
even if zero doesnt win this easily like 8-2 or 7-3 its a bad look.
also ive seen sonicfoxx motivated before: it resulted in a ft 10 resulting in him winning 13-0. smash 4 players dont train very well in comparison to other games sonic fox is the most talented fighting game player i've ever seen.

he said he wont play bayo already. you are missing a lot of games he dominated: soulcalibur 5, injusrtice 1 and 2, skullgirls, mvci and more. thinking these games are simliar is just plain wrong.
even if zero doesnt win this easily like 8-2 or 7-3 its a bad look.
also ive seen sonicfoxx motivated before: it resulted in a ft 10 resulting in him winning 13-0. smash 4 players dont train very well in comparison to other games sonic fox is the most talented fighting game player i've ever seen.
Ok? I don't follow other fighting games, so I have no idea what games he has played in the past.

However, there is a sense of...translation between most of the games that you have mentioned. You are able to carry over at least some knowledge from one game to the next and implement it in roughly a similar manner. That isn't the case here with Smash.

It is a completely different beast, with little to no translation between Smash and other fighting games due to the mechanics.

Some Smash players train very hard, spending hours upon hours in trainer working out new combos or tech. I pesonally don't care about ZeRo, nor what sort of "look" these matches will have upon Smash as a whole. I don't follow that, I just follow smash.

I was just stating my opinion on the matter, but good on Fox for not choosing Bayo, I didn't know that one.

Ok? I don't follow other fighting games, so I have no idea what games he has played in the past.

However, there is a sense of...translation between most of the games that you have mentioned. You are able to carry over at least some knowledge from one game to the next and implement it in roughly a similar manner. That isn't the case here with Smash.

It is a completely different beast, with little to no translation between Smash and other fighting games due to the mechanics.

Some Smash players train very hard, spending hours upon hours in trainer working out new combos or tech. I pesonally don't care about ZeRo, nor what sort of "look" these matches will have upon Smash as a whole. I don't follow that, I just follow smash.

I was just stating my opinion on the matter, but good on Fox for not choosing Bayo, I didn't know that one.
if you dont follow other games you don't understand how big this will be. sonicfox is probably zero's worst possible opponent. zero is easily flustered. he is cocky until he starts getting beat. he has readible habits and he's giving sonicfox time to scout him.
he said he wont play bayo becuase he shouldnt learn the game with her as he wont get a solid base. but he may still use her. he like her a lot same with zss.
even if zero wins this say 10-8 thats not good enough. it still looks bad.
i really dont like zero i really want him to lose.

We've had a few Smash players transition pretty well into other fighters (Leffen and Anti come to mind here). What's to stop vice versa from happening?

Smash may be an entirely different beast compared to fighting games in general, but one thing to note is that fundamentals, while the methods to learn them are different depending on the game, remain the same throughout. SonicFox has studied those same fundamentals throughout numerous fighters (Dead or Alive, Skullgirls, Under Night In-Birth, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Marvel Infinite, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Street Fighter), and it's paid off very well for him in most cases.

The one thing SonicFox needs to do is apply himself enough in Smash that he knows the basics of how the game works and apply those same fundamentals.

Even if he ends up losing, he'll learn something out of it.

Well, I guess I shouldn't have really expected him to want to go at ZeRo with one of my favorites. This is not the time to try and demonstrate the "potential" of Link, Pac-Man, or G&W. I think you'd be better off with Snake or Sonic but ZSS will be fun to see too.

Last edited:
Zero takes the W, Sonicfox becomes a smasher lmao. This'll be interesting for sure.

He should pick up Ryu since he's well versed in traditional fighters.

Well, I guess I shouldn't have really expected him to want to go at ZeRo with one of my favorites. This is not the time to try and demonstrate the "potential" of Link, Pac-Man, or G&W. I think you'd be better off with Snake or Sonic but ZSS will be fun to see too.
ZSS is an interesting choice, not one I was expecting.

Now we just need to know who ZeRo might main. Maybe Ike?? That would be hilarious.

I'm guessing ZeRo will either stick with Sheik or one of the new/reintroduced characters. He's not usually one to mess around a lot with characters that don't have great competitive promise.

Last edited:
I’d love for another chance to take zero’s falcon on again with my ganon, seeing as he decided to delete the twitch video where i beat his link and almost beat his falcon :/ seriously I don’t get why he’d be that sensitive to just accept his falcon almost got beat by ganon, i don’t think falcon (and definitely not link) is even his main so what’s the big deal? He’s kept all the other twitch videos where he’s roflstomping people, but heaven forbid he almost loses to a ganon on stream. I’ve noticed this with a few high profile players, the possibility of losing to an unranked player seems to terrify them, as if it somehow invalidates their previous accomplishments, i had the same thing happen with ken when four was first released, ran into him and he deleted the twitch video shortly after, and he’s not even a 4 player so again I don’t see why it was such a big deal. :/

Of course to face ZeRo again would likely require me to travel all the way to another state which I don’t have the finances to, but it’d be nice to have one more shot against him, even if he pulled his main out instead of falcon.

Last edited:
SonicFox clearly likes combo potential. I don't see why he wouldn't want to play Bayo but if not, then maybe he'll want a quick setup character. Would that be Villager or Young Link maybe??

It's going to be a massacre in ZeRo's favor. Honestly. People inside the Smash community with many years of experience specifically in Smash cannot bring ZeRo down. SonicFox expects to know enough to bring him down in a few months? Please. I hope you like Smash, SonicFox. You're gonna be playing it for a long time, I guess.

Still, gotta wonder, who will ZeRo and SonicFox will main in Ultimate? I predict ZeRo will go Diddy or Sheik..maybe Shulk. For SonicFox, Fox or Wolf since that is his fursona..maybe he will go Ryu since he is from a Traditional Fighting Game in which will give him some familiarity.
SonicFox has a history of liking trap-based characters (Erron Black in Mortal Kombat, Captain Cold in Injustice, Carmine in Under Night In-Birth), so if he isn't sick of them by now, someone should direct him to Diddy Kong and the like. OP already mentioned Snake.

Last edited:
SonicFox has a history of liking trap-based characters (Erron Black in Mortal Kombat, Captain Cold in Injustice, Carmine in Under Night In-Birth), so if he isn't sick of them by now, someone should direct him to Diddy Kong and the like. OP already mentioned Snake.
Inkling maybe? The roller gives off a pretty strong trap vibe. A lot like caltrops really.

It mostly depends on how serious ZeRo's training for this. Sonicfox is definitely working on his Smash fundamentals ever since ZeRo said he accepted the challenge.

I don't think it'll be a massacre like it was when he went straight for FChamp's head in MvCI (For those unaware, the conditions were similar.) since Fox had too much experience with Vs. games already.

I'm not counting either one out, especially since ZSS looks pretty good and has a solid combo game that Fox can use to his advantage. Should be a very good match.

Top Bottom