• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turtles Wollongong Smash Thread [Wollongong + Hunter > Sydney]

S.D

Smash Master
Hmm not bad Stereo, but it looked like you were trying to play a brawl Marth in melee.

Using single fairs as an approach is not advisable as a general rule, unless you can space it properly and follow it up with a grab (low percent) or another aerial or smash when they reach higher percentages.

F throw to f smash won't work on a Fox (or anyone) that DI's and techs. Against fast fallers learn to chain throw with your u throw, which can lead into an u tilt to regrab at about 35% to u throw f smash tipper.

You just need to work on some basic tech stuff like l cancelling, wavedashing and timing your up b to sweetspot the ledge properly. Also Marth plays a bit differently in melee, the shield up b and basic shield camp strategy is basically ineffective.

Another thing I noted was that you roll too much, Marth has far better ways to space himself than that. Retreating SH fairs or double fairs, or SH fair > double jump double fairs provide you with far safer retreat options.

Melee is a complex beast but it's good to see you guys picking it up, keep it up :)

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
umm, work on l cancelling getting your wavedashes right ledge camping and just your general movement and reactions, also stop rolling so much its hard to really give a critique when in all honesty it was pretty bad on both your behalfs if you come up to the next tourney ill help you with marth and dont listen to sam about approaching with single fairs, its the best approach he has and should be ****ing spammed and spaced well even onto shields if you space it well you wont get shield grabbed and if you space it poorly as long as you hit low on the shield and l cancel you can dash through for a pivot grab tbh i dont know why sam said that perhaps it was an accident? and yeah generally anything that is techable will never work against someone decent although if you upthrow chain fox for a little bit and then quickly dthrow dsmash it often catches them off guard, anyways just work on all the basic skills and ill help you out as best i can at teddys.

S.D

Smash Master
Sorry Thomas, I meant to say it's not advisable if you don't follow it up. Stereo seemed to be fairing then immediately putting up his shield rather than stringing anything together.

planetstereo

Smash Ace
Thanks Guys, i appreciate the input heaps
I will work on my wavedashing and l-cancelling between now and the tournament, in all honesty i think that some of the other problems i have (like the rolling around lots) stem from the fact that i dont really have those down properly. As for the other stuff, I will look into it....

I agree with Sam that i am still playing a brawl marth but hopefully i can change that soon.
My goal is improvement and if I look at my Marth at Dont Come and the one I have now, this one is 100 times better, hands down.
Cheers
stereo

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you need to train in 100x earths normal gravity, but seriously the tourney experience will improve you alot as well and I didn't watch the matches and I dont know much about melee marth but I do know that you can mad edge guard with fairs and f smash's (I think), and you can combo tilts together at low percentages, what do you reckon turt and sd?

Dedu

Smash Lord
lol guys I'll be adding to stereo's help as well...

See ya at Teddy's this sunday!

Tom - we need a rematch for this weekend.

planetstereo

Smash Ace
Hey all Gong ppl who actually are going to teh tournament on sunday, we need to organise stuff, as is, it looks like its gonna be me and tkls and thats it.
Let us know how you want to get there....
stereo

jamus

Smash Apprentice
Things are pretty good here thanks Toby. How is Sydney and uni going for you? Uni life is pretty good I think.

Anyway good luck to the Gong people who are going to the tournament!!

Edit: Wait, that is only tkls and stereo. Good luck to you guys:)

tkls

Smash Apprentice
far out jamus. letting the team down *shakes head*
stereo, wanna get a train down together? you hop on at wollongong?

planetstereo

Smash Ace
far out jamus. letting the team down *shakes head*
stereo, wanna get a train down together? you hop on at wollongong?
Alright, this is the plan:

Due to epic amounts of fail with cityrail, you are gonna have to get on the 5:20am trail from Wollongong station. I will join you shortly afterwards at North Gong at 5:22am.

Gets into Central at 6:59am and get coffee/bum around for 20 mins. Catch the 7:18am train to Emu Plains arriving at 8:12am (the next train doesn't get into Emu Plains until 9:00am -too late)

Perhaps organise a lift to the venue somehow.:p

If any of you other Sydney smashers are catching the same train to emu plains then let us know and we can meet up on the train.....

Thoughts tkls???

Sincerly your piece of out outdated musical technology
Stereo

planetstereo

Smash Ace
Turtle just messaged me to say he's coming and wants you guys to call him/message him/get in touch with him about getting there.
Alright, is turt still wanting to drive or is he gonna do the insanely early train trip with us? Anyway, i dont have his mobile number so im not entirely sure how to get in contact with him......

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
ill prob do the train thing, i'll get on at conniston at like 5:15 my mob is 0432805766 message me or something

tkls

Smash Apprentice
god i love the early train :(
will have to hop on at oak flats ****it

tkls

Smash Apprentice
oak flats 4:48 ftw! plus 20 minutes to get a taxi there!!!! tomorrow is gonna be a great day
/sarcasm

planetstereo

Smash Ace
Come back to life thread....:)

Truth is we all will be finishing uni exams in less than a week and maybe, just maybe, some of us are still keen to play that game(s), what was it called again(?), oh yeah SMASH!!!

There are still a good number of us around floating on other boards and if we can put away our differences then we can definitely get stuff going again. Please respond if your interested Gong people.....or else im'a gonna' be lookin' like a douche....

Thanks
Stereo

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah, when do we get to see the wollongong revival,
you and jamus better have some **** **** up your sleeve's!

heywes

Smash Rookie
The Gong is dead -_-
We have a few people here, like 4-5? Not that many. More Brawl and Melee players need to rise from wollongong!!!

planetstereo

Smash Ace
Wes coming to boost on sunday? want to team? then we can discuss the revival of the Gong dynasty ftw.

Im like toby, from wollongong but recently moved up to syndey for uni (only not as smash awesome as him). But im still usually down for weekends so if you want to get some meets goin then saturday night i might be able to make. i dont think jamus is coming to tourney cause he has work.

see you there
stereo

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
Wes coming to boost on sunday? want to team? then we can discuss the revival of the Gong dynasty ftw.

Im like toby, from wollongong but recently moved up to syndey for uni (only not as smash awesome as him). But im still usually down for weekends so if you want to get some meets goin then saturday night i might be able to make. i dont think jamus is coming to tourney cause he has work.

see you there
stereo
thinking of hosting melee/brawl bi weeklies if i get enough interest

prob fri nights though

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
nah dont really have time to go to sams any time soon, next time i'll come up will probably be during summer holidays sometime.

Gords

Smash Champion
if i am in sydney on any of those meets ill try my best to make it down to wollongong for them.

likewise for sams/ newcastle melee meets.

jeez melee is such a good game.

Top Bottom