• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turnips and Link

Hunybear

Smash Ace
So I've basically been trying to make Links ok top tier MU even better.
IDK if anyone caught on to this but I've recently started throwing the rang at turnips and it completely shuts peach down. Especially with a bomb in hand. The rang will instantly return and give you the chance to throw the bomb. If the rang returns before you throw you can always cancel the rang catch animation with JC bomb throw or Bomb throw OOS (OOS will result in dash throw tho :T ) Even without a bomb in hand you can wavedash -> dash back or just retreating short hop bomb pull.
I really want Link to stop doing good/ok against Marth/ Peach / IC and start destroying them.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
So I've basically been trying to make Links ok top tier MU even better.
IDK if anyone caught on to this but I've recently started throwing the rang at turnips and it completely shuts peach down. Especially with a bomb in hand. The rang will instantly return and give you the chance to throw the bomb. If the rang returns before you throw you can always cancel the rang catch animation with JC bomb throw or Bomb throw OOS (OOS will result in dash throw tho :T ) Even without a bomb in hand you can wavedash -> dash back or just retreating short hop bomb pull.
I really want Link to stop doing good/ok against Marth/ Peach / IC and start destroying them.
This absolutely doesn't work against stitchfaces. They'll just go through the boomerang and stay on whatever path they were on.

I don't know what this actually does against an aggressive Peach [which is in my opinion how she should be playing it - use turnips to help force her way in, not zone].

You can nair through turnips too, but the turnip keeps the hitbox whether you nair or boomerang the turnip, so even if the turnip doesn't hit you, it's still there, taking up space for Peach. So I don't know how useful this actually is... do you have any videos of you doing this in an actual match to show why you think it's useful?

Hunybear

Smash Ace
This absolutely doesn't work against stitchfaces. They'll just go through the boomerang and stay on whatever path they were on.

I don't know what this actually does against an aggressive Peach [which is in my opinion how she should be playing it - use turnips to help force her way in, not zone].

You can nair through turnips too, but the turnip keeps the hitbox whether you nair or boomerang the turnip, so even if the turnip doesn't hit you, it's still there, taking up space for Peach. So I don't know how useful this actually is... do you have any videos of you doing this in an actual match to show why you think it's useful?
I don't have it recorded but I was playing against a pretty good peach for a spot in lossers semies at our last monthly and did it to a great extent. I'll record our next games next time I'm playing.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I think turnips are not a huge worry. Peach with a turnip actually sucks against closer range opponents (not on top of each other range where she can do float nairs though) since you can CC turnips and Peach can no longer d-smash or grab.

Turnips are a bit annoying at times, but they really aren't a problem. The bigger worry is definitely when Peach is doing float cancel fairs in your face. +3 on shield is stupidly hard for Link to deal with lol.

Thor

Smash Champion
I think turnips are not a huge worry. Peach with a turnip actually sucks against closer range opponents (not on top of each other range where she can do float nairs though) since you can CC turnips and Peach can no longer d-smash or grab.

Turnips are a bit annoying at times, but they really aren't a problem. The bigger worry is definitely when Peach is doing float cancel fairs in your face. +3 on shield is stupidly hard for Link to deal with lol.
Not to be that guy, but I think nair and fair are actually +4 XD.

If I'm right, here's a fun, but kind of dumb fact: Assuming Captain Falcon does not shield DI fair/nair out of grab range or to move far enough out of range with 3 frames of a roll, frame perfect float cancel fair -> grab -> grab is a guaranteed grab on Falcon every time. Fair gives you +4, so you grab and he is at 3 frames of actionability before being grabbed. Rolls are invincible frame 4, and none of his aerials are anywhere near fast enough [especially counting jumpsquat], while his grab and up+b are also too slow, but he can spotdodge. However, his spotdodge lasts 32 frames, so when Peach is done with her grab, Falcon has only gone 27 frames, leaving him with 5 frames left. If Peach immediately grabs again, Falcon's spotdodge, invulnerable frame 3, means he will not be invulnerable for another 7 frames, and so he gets grabbed.

Our spotdodge lasting only 22 frames makes us not get trapped like that.

Top Bottom