• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turnip lock Help

kynlem

Smash Cadet
NNID
NaturDonut
So I was working on turnip>footstool locks and I seem to have a problem. Instead of the weak hit of nair, I always get the strong one, which means it won't lock. And when I do get the weak hit, I never regrab the turnip. Any tips on what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

Stripe

Smash Rookie
About landing a soft hit, make sure you release down on the joystick before inputing nair, if you don't, you will always fast fall, which will trigger a hard hit. If that doesn't solve the problem, try the following.

It's really all about grinding out the spacing. You need to find the specific spot on one character where the lock works, then start to try on the rest of the cast. Here's what i recommend :
1. Try the lock against :4sonic:
Focus only on landing a soft hit nair. This should be easy since sonic's distance for a soft nair requires no drift (by drift, i mean floating away after the footstool).
Side note : if you only want to get one loop to lock, most meta characters
don't require any drift at all (i.e. :4sonic::4mario::4cloud:, etc.).
This can be used to, say, lock them once at the edge
into perfect pivot tennis racket to kill at around 70 :)
2. Try against more characters
Intstead of trying to catch the turnip against sonic, try landing a soft nair on other charavcters, to get a feel of how far you need to drift against them. In order, I recommend :4sonic::4yoshi::4dk::4jigglypuff: (sonic is easy, jiggs is impossible by just drifting).​
3. Incorparate the turnip catch
Now that you're familiar with the soft hit distance, you know you have to hit a a certain spot for it to land. Trying to fit a turnip catch into this, you'll sometimes (depending on the character) need to adjust your float trajectory to accomodate. Go back to trying agaisnt :4sonic:. While just cancelling the float and nairing after the footstool will lock, you have to drift back a little bit to catch a turnip. Every char has a float pattern to ensure the lock against them (against :4zelda:, for example, you need to drift away, then forward again for maximum consistency), get to know them.​
4. Lab
Getting comfortable doing this against every char takes a long time, and you'll eventually need to know the wierder patterns (i.e. :4bowserjr::4gaw: etc.), so know that you're in for long hours of training mode...
Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions :^)

kynlem

Smash Cadet
NNID
NaturDonut
About landing a soft hit, make sure you release down on the joystick before inputing nair, if you don't, you will always fast fall, which will trigger a hard hit. If that doesn't solve the problem, try the following.

It's really all about grinding out the spacing. You need to find the specific spot on one character where the lock works, then start to try on the rest of the cast. Here's what i recommend :
1. Try the lock against :4sonic:
Focus only on landing a soft hit nair. This should be easy since sonic's distance for a soft nair requires no drift (by drift, i mean floating away after the footstool).
Side note : if you only want to get one loop to lock, most meta characters
don't require any drift at all (i.e. :4sonic::4mario::4cloud:, etc.).
This can be used to, say, lock them once at the edge
into perfect pivot tennis racket to kill at around 70 :)
2. Try against more characters
Intstead of trying to catch the turnip against sonic, try landing a soft nair on other charavcters, to get a feel of how far you need to drift against them. In order, I recommend :4sonic::4yoshi::4dk::4jigglypuff: (sonic is easy, jiggs is impossible by just drifting).​
3. Incorparate the turnip catch
Now that you're familiar with the soft hit distance, you know you have to hit a a certain spot for it to land. Trying to fit a turnip catch into this, you'll sometimes (depending on the character) need to adjust your float trajectory to accomodate. Go back to trying agaisnt :4sonic:. While just cancelling the float and nairing after the footstool will lock, you have to drift back a little bit to catch a turnip. Every char has a float pattern to ensure the lock against them (against :4zelda:, for example, you need to drift away, then forward again for maximum consistency), get to know them.​
4. Lab
Getting comfortable doing this against every char takes a long time, and you'll eventually need to know the wierder patterns (i.e. :4bowserjr::4gaw: etc.), so know that you're in for long hours of training mode...
Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions :^)
Wow, this is such a good answer! Thank you very much, this will help a lot.

Top Bottom