• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turning the page. Yooka and Laylee for Smash Switch

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So what do we have here?

Meet Yooka and Laylee. Yooka is the chameleon, and Laylee is the bat on Yooka's head. Remember that now.

Okay, so they are third party characters, but I feel like since the game just came out today, and there IS a version for the Nintendo Switch, don't you think they have even the smallest hope of making it in to represent Playtonic?

Playtonic, that's another thing. Most of the people at Playtonic who worked on Yooka-Laylee are people who worked on the Nintendo 64 classic Banjo-Kazooie, and they did make Yooka-Laylee with the intention to be a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie.

So what do you guys think? Would you like to see Yooka and Laylee in Smash? Feel free to discuss, but lets keep it clean.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I was thinking the same thing today with the release of this game, banjo would obviously be prefered but if that cant happen this could be a nice alternative. Would be nice to see an indie 3rd party rep although i know there would be disappointment that its not shovel knight which is understandable. This could happen though and i would happy if it did.

UGXwolf

Smash Rookie
I'd be down, if we couldn't get Banjo. Time to talk movesets! You KNOW their roll would be a part of it. Side B seems the most obvious. Or perhaps down B switches them into it where they are temporarily a moving hitbox, and you can cancel it by jumping. Kinda like Sonic or Yoshi, but they don't HAVE to keep moving.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I want to have them in! Their reveal tagline better be "Yooka and Laylee Buddy Up!

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Yooka-Laylee for my PS4. I support!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Are you guys still interested in Yooka and Laylee? They have a phenomenal-looking new game coming up, so it's as good a time as any to revive their campaign!

I notice y'all haven't made a moveset for them, so how about...

• Neutral-B: Sonar Shot; a fast-traveling mid-range projectile that can stun opponents
  • Side-B: Reptile Rush; basically Sonic's Spin Dash, only this time you hold the button instead of tapping it
  • Up-B: Flappy Flight; basically R.O.B.'s Robo Burner
  • Down-B: Camo Cloak; they become invisible and can move around freely, but cannot attack
  • Final Smash: Sonar 'Splosion; deals heavy damage to nearby opponents and pushes those that are farther away
They could also have an energy meter gimmick that drains and refills as you use their special moves. (And of course, if it turns out there are dope new skills coming in The Impossible Lair, and there probably are, they can use those too!)

As for their home stage, Tribalstack Tropics is a little boring (and Brawlout already used it), so I'm thinking either Hivory Towers or Capital Cashino. What do y'all think?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I did say they were! I doubt that makes a difference, though. Anyone know how they work there?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Me too! And Impossible Lair gave us a wealth of new stage locations to choose from. I like Capital Causeway and Scareship Scroll the best. What do you guys think?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm bumping this because while playing The Impossible Lair I grew in love with these characters. What a game. What a charm. It makes me miss the old Rare even more. And I think they would be a great addition to Smash, and Nintendo as a whole honestly. I mean just look at them. They also are brimming of move set potential, but of course that was already proven in Brawlout. I hope to see these series continue. Am even gonna attempt to buy the original game, is it on Switch still ?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Yes, it had a limited physical release but you can still get it digitally. It really isn't as good as Impossible Lair, though. Not terrible, not even bad, but definitely disappointing compared to Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie.

Got any moveset and/or stage ideas, Diddy?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think one could play off the level transformations in Impossible Lair and have a stage that can be affected by various factors depending on the proverbial switch/lever that a fighter manages to hit. Thus you can make the landscape frozen, overgrown with plants, filled with honey, or powered up electrically.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, it had a limited physical release but you can still get it digitally. It really isn't as good as Impossible Lair, though. Not terrible, not even bad, but definitely disappointing compared to Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie.

Got any moveset and/or stage ideas, Diddy?
I don't care too much if it's worse than the Banjo games. Plenty games that I loved are, for one, the infamously hated DK64. I thought it was amazing because of it's charms, Yooka-Laylee seems to have a similar charm. I will definitely play it.

I think am a little challenged with moveset ideas because I only played The Impossible Lair, but I do think all the moves in the game speak for itself.

The roll attack is a great dash attack. Ironically, similar in approach to none other than Donkey Kong's. Faster but weaker of course.

Forward Tilt is the tail sweep of Yooka, kind of similar to Mewtwo's but weaker and of course smaller reach for obvious reasons.

Upward attacks could mostly feature Laylee because she's on top of Yooka all the time. Sonar based attacks I feel are most likely here.

Up B is the Laylee twist jump from The Impossible Lair. Works like it does in the game, but a bit less linear.

Grab is a tether grab, like how Yoshi's should've been.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think one could play off the level transformations in Impossible Lair and have a stage that can be affected by various factors depending on the proverbial switch/lever that a fighter manages to hit. Thus you can make the landscape frozen, overgrown with plants, filled with honey, or powered up electrically.
I got it: the stage is Queasy Quay, and it periodically turns ninety degrees. So instead of playing on a long horizontal stage, you're playing on a long vertical stage! The turn also changes day to night.

I don't care too much if it's worse than the Banjo games. Plenty games that I loved are, for one, the infamously hated DK64. I thought it was amazing because of it's charms, Yooka-Laylee seems to have a similar charm. I will definitely play it.

I think am a little challenged with moveset ideas because I only played The Impossible Lair, but I do think all the moves in the game speak for itself.

The roll attack is a great dash attack. Ironically, similar in approach to none other than Donkey Kong's. Faster but weaker of course.

Forward Tilt is the tail sweep of Yooka, kind of similar to Mewtwo's but weaker and of course smaller reach for obvious reasons.

Upward attacks could mostly feature Laylee because she's on top of Yooka all the time. Sonar based attacks I feel are most likely here.

Up B is the Laylee twist jump from The Impossible Lair. Works like it does in the game, but a bit less linear.

Grab is a tether grab, like how Yoshi's should've been.
Probably the coolest move from OG Yooka-Laylee that's not in Impossible Lair is Camo Cloak. It makes Yooka turn invisible like any good cartoon chameleon. There's also something where he can eat certain objects to temporarily get their properties, such as eating a firefly to glow in the dark or a cannonball to become heavy. Dunno how you'd incorporate that in Smash, though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ah that's why I need to play the old game. Just wanna get more into its lore, and see the characters abilities, and also support Playtonic. I really wish they could make a Donkey Kong game one day together with Retro Studios or Nintendo, or Monster Games.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm definitely not telling you not to play the game, just don't expect it to be as good as Impossible Lair.

If you do play it, here's a tip: don't expand any level until you have all the moves! If there's one thing Yooka-Laylee is bad at, it's conveyance. A lot of its puzzles look like they can be solved, but you'll be at them for hours until you finally get on Google and find out you need a move from three levels later. It's better to get all the moves asap and then go back and clean house.

EDIT: Oh, and the Hunter tonic will save your life. Or at least save you hours of aimless meandering.

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I would still like to see Banjo and Kazooie meet Yooka Laylee in smash

Top Bottom