• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turning off Hazards possible for doubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
*Copied from reddit*

In a match with only 4 players (for instance, doubles), some stages will not load with their hazards/things that are bad for competitive play. This only includes local matches, and wifi matches; you cannot test this in the singleplayer "Smash" mode, however you can go to "Group" mode and make a match with 3 other computers and test this out.

I seem to be having a 100% success rate with this now. It'd be nice if I could hear back from some of you to see if this also works. I have no clue how this works too: maybe 4 players is too tolling on the 3DS, so it has to make up for it by getting rid of some stage hazards.

Here's a list of stages and some of their effects:

Reset Bomb Forest: The destructable environment goes away, and the snake thing at the bottom of the screen is no longer present.

Rainbow Road: All Kart Racers go away.

Jungle Japes: Klap Trap goes away.

Tortimer's Island: There seems to be no sharks, Kapn' never shows up, and only fruits that heal you will only spawn on the trees (no coconuts, bananas, or beehives)

Wily Castle: All of the platforms are gone, and it's basically just a FD version of the stage with the Yellow Devil.

Corneria (supposedly): Laser shots from the ships and arwings are lessened by a lot.

Pictochat (supposedly): Only platforms appear.

If we could find some way to trigger this effect for 1v1's, that would be awesome. I'm looking into it and testing it myself.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Still, Wily Castle with the Yellow Devil is doomed though unless Yellow Devil's damage output is toned down.

I tried it out for Magicant and Brinstar but I didn't see any changes but I am assuming I may have done something wrong.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Tried the CPU method on Reset Bomb Forest and Rainbow Road and the hazards were still there. Not sure if I'm doing it right.

EDIT: Tried the R button trick, only got it work on Rainbow Road, not Reset Bomb Forest.

I tried it out for Magicant and Pyrosphere but I didn't see any changes but I am assuming I may have done something wrong.
How did you get the Wii U version?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Magic!

Pyrosphere....Brinstar....same thing. Lava. No sign of Ridley. Dark and gloomy.

Neo Zero

Does this only last while all 4 are alive, or for the whole match? Like say its double on Rainbow Road and one player dies. Does the Karts then become active. Also does this work with 3 players or does it have to be 4?

EDIT: 3 is a no go. Gonna run through the stages myself with my two 3DS

-Reset Bomb: As said, that happens

-Distant Planet: Bulbin still appears, but seems less frequent. The flowers seem to spawn MUCH less though. Took 3 minutes for one to spawn (Admittedly, I don't know how the stage exactly works, if its RNG or on a timer or w/e). Never saw Bulbin and a flower at the same time (or for that matter, the pellet and Bulbin). Never rained once after 8 minutes

-N's Castle: The Pokemon still appear and do their giga attacks

-WarioWare: Still bad

-Magnificent: Mr Flyguy still shows up. Other stuff seems to still spawn too

-Pac Maze: Same

-Green Hill: Same

-Paper Mario: Same

-Wily's Castle: Stated above

-Pictochat: Telegraphed Van hazard, Clock platforms (with wall), Figure 8 Platform, Pen and Paper Platforms, Blowing Face. All lights off. Boots stomping across the stage dealing damage. Stage hazards seem on still, not just platforms

-Find Mii: Same

-Spirit Tracks: Drill and Bomb cars seem to happen less. Otherwise seems the same

I'll update this post throughout the day.

Last edited:

Keitaro

The main one I'm curious to try out is Rainbow Road. If it proves to be okay for doubles I'm going to have it legal for my event this weekend.

Neo Zero

The main one I'm curious to try out is Rainbow Road. If it proves to be okay for doubles I'm going to have it legal for my event this weekend.
Because I'm nice, I'll test this fast for you before I go to sleep

Gonna do two games, 8 minute games

Game 1: No sign of the karts.

Game 2: No karts. Killed off JP 3DS around 4 minute mark. Still no karts throughout the whole game. Probably obvious, but the track locations were different from game one, so thats still random.

Last edited:

Keitaro

Thanks. I would have tested myself but I left my Japanese 3DS at my friend's place and my American one has barely anything unlocked.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
When 1 person dies in a 4 player game I think some of the hazards will reappear mid match.

Tor island, no bees or exploding coconuts. 1 person dies in doubles, the bees reappeared.

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
One person on Reddit said this:
I can get this trick working in 1V1's by first loading a match with 4 players (make sure you press R before you enter a stage) then exiting out of the match, then disable the other cpus/players start the match up again with pressing R before you enter one. and boom it works. I've only tested this trick out on Rainbow Road.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
It doesn't work for me. Not only that, but as I expected, the whole "holding R" thing is a hoax. The karts not spawning is dependent on the number of characters.

I hypothesize that whether or not karts spawn (or other hazards on other stages) is based on the number of entities that can create lag. A 1v1 may not spawn hazards if items are on, or if the players are using more complex characters like Olimar and Rosalina/Luma. But even considering these I haven't successfully gotten a 1v1 without karts, but I'm fairly confident the root problem is lag. (I doubt this will be a thing in the Wii U version.)

I'm not sure if karts spawning or not spawning is determined at the beginning, and is constant throughout the stage's duration. For instance, if an assist trophy is active when karts would spawn, but they don't because of the assist trophy, but would spawn the next time when no items are present.

What I am sure of is that people are probably just having misconceptions because the stage's hazard order is random, and thus sometimes karts wouldn't spawn at all for the first two minutes or so, this is giving some people the false idea that hazards are removed.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The same guy that posted that also posted a thread explaining his mistake; it simply takes 4 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom