• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TSM | Zero: "Just remember, top players are people, just like you."

Source: Team Solomid
Do you ever get excited or nervous when seeing your favorite player at the same event that you're at? Two situations could possibly happen when approaching your favorite player. But have you ever stopped to think, how do you actually approach them?

Gonzalo “TSM | ZeRo” Barrios is currently the #1 Super Smash Bros for Wii U player, YouTube content creator and Super Smash Bros personality. ZeRo is no stranger when it comes to his fans approaching him to talk about the game, fan pictures, autographs, etc. He adores any moment he can share with his fans and their interactions with him.

Source: Robert Paul
Smashboards recently had the opportunity to talk to ZeRo briefly to discuss about the topic of fan interactions with pro players. We start off by going over his first interactions as he first began to gain a following and some memorable fan moments that stuck out to him.

1PC: Hey Zero, I hope you’re doing well today! So lately the topic of fan interactions have been a very popular and talked about topic. What are some thoughts that come to mind when it comes to fan interactions towards you or any other top professional player?

ZeRo: “I think it's really cool. It's actually incredible to think people care enough to interact like that in person.

Really puts to perspective the impact it has on people. It's awesome.

On the other side, however, it can sometimes be a little difficult because you don't always have the time to interact with everyone, and other times you're busy. So it can be hard.”

Let’s start from the beginning days, when you began to gain an audience of fans. How was that experience for you? Was it a surreal feeling having strangers coming up to you and wanting their picture taken with you?

ZeRo: “At the beginning it was definitely super surprising and shocking to me because I never thought I could be one day someone who people wanted to take a picture with or really want to meet. I grew up in a very humble environment where I had to work for every meal in my table, so getting from there to this it's a life changing experience and I definitely went through some adjusting periods.

Now today, it's just heartwarming. I love hearing things like 'I watch all your videos, please do more!' or 'Your play inspired me to keep pushing myself harder' - those things seriously make me smile and it's always humbling.”

Was there ever a point in time when you’re at a tournament and the number of fans that kept on approaching you was “too much”? If so, could you more in depth into that scenario?

ZeRo: “I personally try my best to interact with anyone who genuinely enjoys my work. However, sometimes it can be difficult due to circumstances. Tournaments can be very stressing and difficult, especially the big ones. I never have issues interacting with fans when I'm not practicing or busy at the moment, I always go out of my way to play people or interact whenever possible, but sometimes I've had situations where fans have interrupted my practice sessions to a point where I can no longer practice or even during tournament matches.

On some isolated occasions I've had people forcefully grab my arms or tap my shoulders at the wrong times. I think that's the one point where it can be a bit invasive and difficult.”

Could you share a memorable moment that sticks out to you throughout all of the fan interactions that you have dealt with?

ZeRo: “Just simply stories like I mentioned earlier. Sometimes people grabbing my arms too forcefully to ask me a question, interrupting my practice sessions until I have to stop, interrupting me mid tournament, talking to me like I know them and making weird, creepy or rude remarks, etc.

In general, just stories where 'personal space' isn't accounted for, mainly. I think one good example is when I'm asked for pictures at bathrooms during tournaments. That sums it up.

I do want to say that while these things do happen, it's not like it happens every time. It's just that it unfortunately happens here and there.”

VIP Rooms

Source: Zen Gaming​

VIP rooms have been a constant thing to have at event for professional players to isolate themselves to practice in peace and stay focused at huge events around the world of professional eSports. The Fighting Game Community is typically unknown and do not like the concept of VIP rooms at their events since they are an uncommon things to have at a regular tournament. As the FGC grows larger and Super Smash Bros. continues to rapidly gain it's fan base for all games, is a VIP room necessary for top performing players to focus before performing at their event?

Let’s change the topic. Recently, VIP rooms have been a common thing for players to warm up before a huge eSports event as a staple among other eSports events such as League of Legends and Counter Strike. Do you think major smash tournaments should implement mandatory VIP rooms for the pros? Or should the pros stick to the FGC grassroots mentality where pro players are among the fans?

ZeRo: “I think the main issue is that the term used was wrong and the situation was blown out of proportion.

For example, at Shine 2016, it wasn't a VIP room. It was backstage area behind curtains where anyone who had a stream match next or in queue could join in the back to prepare, along with everyone who made top 32 was allowed there too.

It was actually something anyone could of earned, so not exactly 'VIP Room', you know?

I think this method is a good compromise to keep everyone happy and easy to introduce at events.

However, I personally think we should implement this sort of thing in the future. Like I've mentioned before, anyone can earn their spot there and plus, it solves out a lot of the negatives that came with the crazy growth Smash has had recently for personalities. I think it makes sense moving forward.

I'm also pretty sure other personalities have stories similar to the ones I do, so I think that it can be a positive change moving forward.”

Do you think the VIP room controversy at Shine was blown out of proportion?

ZeRo: “It definitely was like I explained earlier. The wrong term plus the jokes that came out of it spread a lot of misinformation and confusion, which certainly didn't help the cause.”

Floating

Having top players float in bracket had it's pros and cons when the subjects comes up when seeding. Some say it's unfair to other players and others say it's beneficial for fans so top players can have the time to interact with their fans instead of stressing over pools.

Let’s talk a bit about floating. Is it really a good thing for top players? I understand one of the pros of floating is for top players to have more interaction with their fans but what’s your point of view on it?

ZeRo: “I can see it beneficial for scheduling more side events with top player presence, or fan meet & greets, but other than that the topic isn't something I'm too invested in. SO can't say much more.”

The Wrap Up

Source: Stephanie Lindgren​

How should fans approach pro players at major events? Is there a correct way to do those kinds of things?

ZeRo: “In general, just remember top players are people, just like you are. Basic rules, really. If you're eating, busy for something important (like practicing for an upcoming match) or in the bathroom, maybe wait for later.

As a tip, the first day out of any major is the best day. More availablity time there.

The worst day is finals, because they're just too busy preparing for top 8 and what not.”

To wrap things up, what is next for TSM | ZeRo? Which is the next event you are focusing on and what are some goals that you have set for yourself?

ZeRo: “Focusing on the Big House for now. Preparing a lot of stuff...really trying to improve my game seriously and play to the level I know I'm capable of. Hopefully my efforts bring the results I want :)

How and where can people find you and support your content?

ZeRo: “YouTube & Twitter are the best places. I post 5 videos a week from Monday to Friday and tweet often.

Thank you so much for having me!”

---​

At the end of the day, we are a community of people playing the game that we share the same love for. Please remember the phrase “Treat others how you want to be treated”, top players are people too and should be treated as one rather than amusements.

The next time that you are at an event, think about your approach and take in mind common courtesy. Please don't forget to follow ZeRo on Twitter for any updates and subscribe to his YouTube channel for more quality smash content.

Last edited:
Josh Olalde

Comments

You'd think people would have enough common sense to not interrupt players in the middle of a set. The fact that it even happens at all seriously tilts me.

Some people will just be rude, annoying, etc... it sucks but its a part of life in general. You will encounter people who will not respect you, but you'll also meet lots of great people

Am I suppose to know who Zero is? He played melee? Because I never heard of him.
Its funny cuz people dont know that zero was actually great at melee too. He beat Dark who is widely considered the most technical melee player

Last edited:
User was warned for this post
Its funny cuz people dont know that zero was actually great at melee too. He beat Dark who is widely considered the most technical melee player
Don't know who dark is either. How about you guys play a real smash game instead of your silly brawl hacks?

I love ZeRo, he has such a chill personality nowadays. Not trying to be rude, but I remember when he was kinda proud. Glad that now he is a lot more down-to-earth and fun.

Just look at the gif, I'm definitely not joking. Sm4sh and Brawl are fake smash games, only 64 and melee count.
I give you 2 out of 10 in your attempt.

Mostly because you can feel and smell the enormous amount of insecurity seething from your posting. When people need to bash a game to feel better about their personal choices in gaming it just shows a childish side of them that they haven't fully outgrown yet due to their necessity of diminishing others. You'll get better once you grow up.

Last edited:
I give you 2 out of 10 in your attempt.

Mostly because you can feel and smell the enormous amount of insecurity seething from your posting. When people need to bash a game to feel better about their personal choices in gaming it just shows a childish side of them that they haven't fully outgrown yet due to their necessity of diminishing others. You'll get better once you grow up.
I've literally 4 stocked Isai on livestream. Your attempt to diminish my experience playing smash has failed.

I've literally 4 stocked Isai on livestream. Your attempt to diminish my experience playing smash has failed.
And I should care about who you've 4 stocked and where because...? Irrelevant response is irrelevant.

Last edited:
And I should care about who you've 4 stocked and where because...? Irrelevant response is irrelevant.
"Personal choices in gaming"

Implying I suck

I provide a claim stating I definitely do not suck.

that's not irrelevant. (if you're going to respond to me then be ready to have an intellectual discussion or I'm going to destroy you)

"Personal choices in gaming"

Implying I suck

I provide a claim stating I definitely do not suck.

that's not irrelevant. (if you're going to respond to me then be ready to have an intellectual discussion or I'm going to destroy you)
Then read again, because I implied no such thing; your ability in gaming is not what I was criticizing, quite frankly it is of no concern to me and is not related to what I was trying to say. Considering that you completely missed the point I was making, then you are clearly the one who is not ready have a discussion of any particular kind.

Last edited:
Then read again, because I implied no such thing; your ability in gaming is not what I was criticizing, quite frankly it is of no concern to me and is not related to what I was trying to say. Considering that you completely missed the point I was making, then you are clearly the one who is not ready have a discussion of any particular kind.
tl;dr you insulted me and I retaliated in as an intellectual, if you cannot handle it then please refrain from quoting me anymore.

watching the debates, sorry.
What's interesting is that despite me never questioning your ability at all you felt the need to get defensive about it. I guess I was right when I claimed you were insecure, this is just one more example of it accompanied with your necessity to look down on others who play different games from you.

What's interesting is that despite me never questioning your ability at all you felt the need to get defensive about it. I guess I was right when I claimed you were insecure, this is just one more example of it accompanied with your necessity to look down on others who play different games from you.
Thanks for the attempt at a psychology lesson. I learned by dismissing what you say will increase the chances of getting a response from you.

Confirmed statistic.

Thanks for the attempt at a psychology lesson. I learned by dismissing what you say will increase the chances of getting a response from you.

Confirmed statistic.
Glad I was able to help. And hey, no problem, I'm sure given time you'll eventually outgrow the manchild in you. Or not.

Top Bottom