• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to run Melee (for SD Remix) off USB DIOS MIOS

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hey everyone; I'm stuck with trying to run Melee off DIOS MIOS (as I want to make sure it can run the unmodified game before I patch it with SD Remix). I've been going around trying several things that just don't work, so here's my current process:

With the console:
  • I've installed the Homebrew Channel via Smashstack
  • I've installed Wadmanager
  • I've installed IOS236 and the DIOS MIOS (for USB) wad (also keeping a MIOS v10 wad on standby for restoration of disc function)
With the game:
  • I've used CleanRip to get an ISO from my Melee copy.
  • I've used DMLizard to extract and optimize that ISO for USB use.
  • I've copied the Melee files to a games folder at the root of my USB.
What else should I do.

BONUS: If I want to apply the SD Remix changes, do I just replace the normal files with the USB SD Remix files when I'm done?

Quillion

Smash Hero
What is the actual problem you are experiencing?

Does your ISO you ripped play fine on Dolphin?
I don't want to use Dolphin since I don't have a good enough computer for that.

The OP actually details my latest attempt to get it working, not previous attempts. Installing HBC, IOS236, and DIOSMIOS was easy enough. The difficulty for me lies in optimizing the Melee game to be usable for the DIOS MIOS booter.

I'm using the USB version, as I've stated before, but I've been trying to put the ISO to the root of the USB and it the DIOS MIOS booter wasn't detecting it.

Now, I've just decided to run it in the extracted state (as DMLizard says that it will load faster this way). I just want to know if what I'm doing is right, since I've spent 3 frustrating days figuring out how to run GCN games off DIOS MIOS.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Now, I've just decided to run it in the extracted state (as DMLizard says that it will load faster this way).
Okay. So what is the specific problem you are experiencing with this? Is it just still not being recognized?

What is the file path on your hard drive to the Melee disc image files? I've only ever ran the game from an ISO.

And I mentioned testing it in Dolphin to make sure your ISO works in the first place. Not intensively playing it or anything.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Again, I don't have Dolphin, nor do I think I need it.

The problem lies purely with the DIOS MIOS that's softmodded onto my Wii, or rather, my inability to use it.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Still trying. Even waiting over half an hour didn't give me anything other than a black screen.

I'm on the verge of giving up.

Quillion

Smash Hero
On the root of my USB flash drive, the Melee files are extracted and put in a folder on the root called "games", as this is the folder that all DIOS MIOS loaders read from.

Using the current process which I posted above, I've gotten to the point where DIOS MIOS booter can detect that the Melee extraction is there, but if I open it, it results in nothing but the DIOS MIOS logo, and a black screen afterwards, forcing me to restart the Wii.

Should my USB flash drive have nothing else on it besides the "games" folder? It might be complicating the process.

DRGN

Technowizard
The other files shouldn't be a problem. What version of Homebrew Channel, DIOS MIOS booter, and DIOS MIOS are you using?
I think the latest are 1.1.2 for Homebrew Channel (which I would guess isn't too important) , revision 30 for DML Booter, and version 2.10 for DIOS MIOS. If you're uisng the latest of DML Booter and DM, you'll need to set the option "Boot Method" in DML Booter's options to "New (DM 2.1+)". You 'll find this on page 1 of options (press B on the main page to get there).

Quillion

Smash Hero
Okay, I've installed Nintendont and formatted my USB to have FAT32 with 32kb file allocation. I'm also running the latest versions of all softmods, as I downloaded them like a week ago.

I've also updated IOS58 and have repeatedly installed RVLBC, RVLmiosv10, and DIOSMIOS. And I'm setting boot method to "New" on DMBooter.

On both DMBooter and Nintendont, I'm still getting nothing but a black screen.

DRGN

Technowizard
Dang. What are the RVLBC and RVLmiosv10? Are those for Nintendont? I haven't used them myself.

Also, do you install IOS236 (patched version of IOS36)? Although it may not be needed, depending on the method you're using for installing other IOSs.

Could also ask if your Wii System Menu is the latest (4.3U).

Trying a new ISO is a good idea. I've had games not work for me before, and after getting a new copy, it started working.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Dang. What are the RVLBC and RVLmiosv10? Are those for Nintendont? I haven't used them myself.

Also, do you install IOS236 (patched version of IOS36)? Although it may not be needed, depending on the method you're using for installing other IOSs.

Could also ask if your Wii System Menu is the latest (4.3U).

Trying a new ISO is a good idea. I've had games not work for me before, and after getting a new copy, it started working.
RVL-BC-v6.wad is a corrupted GameCube mode and RVL-mios-v10.wad is a "normal" GameCube mode. Installing the two in that respective order, according to this, helps the installation of DIOSMIOS when it doesn't work the first time.

Alright. I guess I'll use CleanRip again. Or does that even work? Does CleanRip work for any of you guys?

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the true culprit here is your USB device may be unsupported by DIOS MIOS (and supposedly Nintendont too, which I heard used the newest libraries and would have the best compatibility then, but I guess not). I would first suggest you try to use any other USB drive you have around first, then try dumping and playing another GC game second.

As for the bonus question: You're right on the money. That's all you need to do provided everything else in the SDR guide was followed.

Top Bottom