• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to get better at combos and strings

Valken-EX

Smash Rookie
Hey all. So, I'm a 5.4M Cloud solo main, and I'm trying to break into Elite Smash. I want to use Cloud to his max potential and learn how to do some really nasty stuff with him.

Have you guys seen StylesX2's "Ultimate Salt Is Real" videos? Some of the plays in those videos are CRAZY imho, and I want to get on that level. I'd love it if someone would teach me a few things.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey all. So, I'm a 5.4M Cloud solo main, and I'm trying to break into Elite Smash. I want to use Cloud to his max potential and learn how to do some really nasty stuff with him.

Have you guys seen StylesX2's "Ultimate Salt Is Real" videos? Some of the plays in those videos are CRAZY imho, and I want to get on that level. I'd love it if someone would teach me a few things.
I don't know how good you are with Cloud, so before we get too deep into styling on people, I want to go over some of the most consistent and effective tips and tricks I know for Cloud (mine is in Elite Smash with about 5.8M right now):

-Fast fall Fair is a gorgeous approach option in neutral due to the almost non-existent endlag and ludicrously huge hitbox. If it connects, you can combo into a down tilt and then go 50/50 with an up air or Nair. If they air dodge out of that, punish accordingly.

-Any time someone pressures your shield from the front, just nail them with Up B. The move is stupid fast and, again, has insane reach/priority.

-Speaking of Up B, the move is just great. Period. You can use it at the ledge when coming back for an aggressive mixup. Just be sure to hold UP on the left stick as you come down to snap the ledge and avoid killing yourself. If your opponent loves to spam aerials, you can also contest them with this from the ground and win pretty much every time. HOWEVER, just be sure not to spam Up B too much or they'll start figuring out how to punish you.

-Learn to use RAR fast fall Bair if you haven't already. The move is fast and has great knockback. At low percent, you can combo fast fall RAR Bair into Cross Slash. Landing Bair is great for covering yourself and netting some stocks.

-My favorite combo is Up tilt->Up tilt->Up air. It's very consistent and great for catching your opponent's landings.

-Nair is best used for air to air or when rising from a jump. It can potentially combo when landing with it on your opponent but I don't recommend it because the hitbox is kinda trash in Ultimate. You'll probably whiff more than nail it.

-If your opponent is playing too defensively for you, just be patient and start charging limit. It's a great mind game for drawing your opponent in with psychological pressure.

-***Pro tip***: If you take a stock off your opponent and have some free time, charge your limit but NOT all the way. Charge it to where you're only a sliver away from full. That way, you still have access to your specials without burning up your limit break's 15 second time limit. Also, if your opponent hits you off the edge after respawning, the damage will tip your limit to full so that you can use Limit Climmhazard to come back.

Last edited:

Valken-EX

Smash Rookie
I don't know how good you are with Cloud, so before we get too deep into styling on people, I want to go over some of the most consistent and effective tips and tricks I know for Cloud (mine is in Elite Smash with about 5.8M right now):

-Fast fall Fair is a gorgeous approach option in neutral due to the almost non-existent endlag and ludicrously huge hitbox. If it connects, you can combo into a down tilt and then go 50/50 with an up air or Nair. If they air dodge out of that, punish accordingly.

-Any time someone pressures your shield from the front, just nail them with Up B. The move is stupid fast and, again, has insane reach/priority.

-Speaking of Up B, the move is just great. Period. You can use it at the ledge when coming back for an aggressive mixup. Just be sure to hold UP on the left stick as you come down to snap the ledge and avoid killing yourself. If your opponent loves to spam aerials, you can also contest them with this from the ground and win pretty much every time. HOWEVER, just be sure not to spam Up B too much or they'll start figuring out how to punish you.

-Learn to use RAR fast fall Bair if you haven't already. The move is fast and has great knockback. At low percent, you can combo fast fall RAR Bair into Cross Slash. Landing Bair is great for covering yourself and netting some stocks.

-My favorite combo is Up tilt->Up tilt->Up air. It's very consistent and great for catching your opponent's landings.

-Nair is best used for air to air or when rising from a jump. It can potentially combo when landing with it on your opponent but I don't recommend it because the hitbox is kinda trash in Ultimate. You'll probably whiff more than nail it.

-If your opponent is playing too defensively for you, just be patient and start charging limit. It's a great mind game for drawing your opponent in with psychological pressure.

-***Pro tip***: If you take a stock off your opponent and have some free time, charge your limit but NOT all the way. Charge it to where you're only a sliver away from full. That way, you still have access to your specials without burning up your limit break's 15 second time limit. Also, if your opponent hits you off the edge after respawning, the damage will tip your limit to full so that you can use Limit Climmhazard to come back.
Thanks for your reply! I actually have a Youtube channel where I throw up streams of me playing. Last night I was actually on a pretty bad losing streak, but these streams should give you an idea of how I play. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vivFI9r2n8M

Last edited:
Top Bottom