• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Try Hard 4: Live Free or Try Hard (December 1st) AZ (Last one)

AXE 09

Smash Master
Can't enter all 3 events? Or both doubles? Poor Kyle :(

I'm still trying really hard to get off work for this. They wouldn't give me the day cuz they already made the schedules by the time this was announced, but I'm like begging everyone to switch with me lol. It's just tough because everyone wants Saturday off. I'm still trying though

:phone:

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Kyle - The scheduled times and DQ rules also target you. Don't worry.

In particular, lunch breaks and lack of allowance of weed breaks. It wouldn't be such a big deal if you wouldn't hold up brackets/pools all the time.

k9.

Smash Ace
It's definitely unfair to not let people enter all three events, Kyle is the only one who even does this.

With this rule kyle won't enter PM. What it very much so looks like okami, is your trying to make it so that kyle can't enter PM.

Of course you have legitimate reasons to back you up, such as, the tourney running to late or brackets being held up. In all i think your tired of losing to kyle and this is a way to eliminate him from enter PM for good.

Sorry if it sounds like im trying to make you look bad, im just being 100% clear on what i see. Kyle is talented at playing all 3 games. I think your stopping him from winning money that he deserves. Axe also sometimes enters all three events.

What really makes you look bad is when you make it so that you can only enter one doubles event either brawl or melee. So that means kyle is going to enter brawl, because there is more money.

Okami be real, is this your intention? If you say no, i won't argue any further. I can only put my point out there and hope you are being truthful with yourself.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
It's definitely unfair to not let people enter all three events, Kyle is the only one who even does this.

With this rule kyle won't enter PM. What it very much so looks like okami, is your trying to make it so that kyle can't enter PM.

Of course you have legitimate reasons to back you up, such as, the tourney running to late or brackets being held up. In all i think your tired of losing to kyle and this is a way to eliminate him from enter PM for good.

Sorry if it sounds like im trying to make you look bad, im just being 100% clear on what i see. Kyle is talented at playing all 3 games. I think your stopping him from winning money that he deserves. Axe also sometimes enters all three events.

What really makes you look bad is when you make it so that you can only enter one doubles event either brawl or melee. So that means kyle is going to enter brawl, because there is more money.

Okami be real, is this your intention? If you say no, i won't argue any further. I can only put my point out there and hope you are being truthful with yourself.
I won't enter Project M, then. :)

I just want the tourney to run smoothly and well.

Edit: Alternatively, if you all actually, you know...get there when the tourney is supposed to start, Kyle can enter all 3 tournies. I can still not enter Project M if that proves that I'm simply worried about time constraints and could care less about putting myself at an unfair advantage.

Double Edit: Alright, here's the plan. You are allowed to enter all tournaments, though, if someone starts holding up a bracket, I will not take excuses regarding smoking or getting food or whatever. You 'will' be DQ'd. No leeway. You have a lunch break, so use it. Understand? No? Probably not? Too bad.

Oh yeah, and answer is "No" to you, Shawn. Good try though.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
lol not gunna lie but if an event can not be finished at the time a host wants it should not begin in the first place. limiting someones entrances............ might as well kill all black people. makes complete sense right?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Kevin...
n!gga...

it's not the host that makes things slower than planned in this case. You know full well Rob is proactive in keeping matches flowing and such.

Rob's rules are just another way of finding a ground where most people are happy in balancing multiple events with getting done on time and being able to have some sort of free time.

every solution has it's shortcoming. We could start earlier just to have a purely larger window, but hey, you have to drive here earlier. We could not restrict anything, but hey, you'll probably stay till the a.m. Rob's suggestions are just another side of the die.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
imo people should just show up on time
Trolling aside, let's do this.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. In all seriousness, like, I really had no intention of barring entry in order to better my placing. It's just that like, even without doubles in any events, we always end up finishing at like midnight (if we're lucky). I would love to start at 10:00 AM and have time for like IHOP and stuff (WHICH WE SHOULD GO TO SINCE IT'S MY LAST ONE {Denny's is good too [a cat is fine too]}), but people tend to get there at like 4:00 because they assume everyone else is going to get there at 4:00, which is a bad mindset to take.

So yeah, those of you who are there early, force me to stick with the following plan. No matter what.

-Keep the scheduled times open on my computer as a reminder
-Start events when they are supposed to start (as long as there are at least 8 participants).
-If there are not 8 participants, cancel the event after 1 hour sharp.
-Enforce DQ's.
-Appoint more than just 2 Co-hosts.

I think if y'all force me to do those things, then we can do everything just fine.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Lol I could've told you guys that wasn't Rob's intention. He's not money hungry. He cares more about beating high calibur players than actually winning money (which is how must of us are I think)

Also sad to say, I won't be able to make it to this :( I tried

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Lol I could've told you guys that wasn't Rob's intention. He's not money hungry. He cares more about beating high calibur players than actually winning money (which is how must of us are I think)

Also sad to say, I won't be able to make it to this :( I tried
RIP phoenix's chances of going

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Because of the avatar, whenever Shiv posts, I just imagine Shiv's hairy head with glasses with huge Golbat wings for ears.

As for the topic of hand, there are those of us who don't like the tournament taking forever. Here's my selfish reason; last tournament, I had to wait over two hours for my bracket match with Kyle in loser's finals. I really shouldn't wait that long for a match that late in the tournament. Another reason is that it's Saturday night. I want to finish up the tournament by 10 so I have the freedom to leave and partake in other social activities. People will have the freedom to smash once the tournament is over anyways.

Although I will agree it is unfair to Kyle, it's unfair for the rest of the participants who have to wait hours. I don't necessarily agree with the rule change, but it's something Rob is attempting to enforce because so many entrants are coming late. He doesn't want to not let more than a dozen people enter because they are all late because that would make them hesitate to come next time. If everyone could just be punctual, we could avoid these new rules. However, it's unlikely so many participants will suddenly show up on time so Rob is trying to use these rules to make up for lost hours and that's something I can appreciate (since I'm not Kyle).

Another worthy reason is that some Phoenix drivers also don't like the tournament ending so late because driving home late and tired is reckless. It can be as irresponsible as driving drunk.

Lastly, because John's too nice to say this even if he thought it (I don't know if he is thinking this), but it's a possibility he doesn't want all these people at his house so late into the night. I can definitely say that his roommates aren't happy with people overextending their stay, at least. That's some courtesy you need to consider.

There are other reasons I could list, but they're kind of petty. The points I did list are ones that I believe are very important.

I can respect the concern about ulterior motives, but I don't believe that's the case at all.

TLDNR; This type of rule is not unprecedented at multi-game events. Although it's unfair to the entrant that wants to enter multiple games, it causes significant issues for the hosts and that takes priority.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Having been at the last one, I think multiple entrances will work IF people keep playing their matches. Everyone seemed to be out getting food or smoking at the most random, crucial moments of the tournament. If people adhere strictly to getting that stuff out of the way in the time Rob's scheduled for it, I don't see why it can't work out.

So maybe not a "No triple entrances" rule but a "No smoke breaks when you're holding up 2 brackets" rule.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Oh snap, I forgot these aren't at the lounge anymore

-Appoint more than just 2 Co-hosts.
...are you sure?

regardless, I'm willing to help by being one of those. I think most of the brawl scene knows I'm more than down with enforcement of times and DQ's

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Hey okami if yuma goes we will leave at 8 and get there by 12. We might also need a place to spend the night at and we will leave on sunday

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Even though I haven't been to tournaments in awhile or even really been at the multi-event ones you guys have been running lately, I have far too many experiences having to yell at people to play Melee matches, and I imagine it's even worse running more than one event.

So yeah do whatever you have to do to get people to not be idiots imo.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
or maybe kyle should listen to people when we tell him to play his matches in a certain order.

in every tournament i have ever gone to, kyle just does things in his own leisure. Sure, you're a top player. it doesn't change the fact that we know what we're talking about. When I said play a PM match because bracket started, and you're holding up an entire tier of matches, and you decide to play your pools matches for another game instead, when there are other pools to completed, you're a ****ing piece of ****.

i dont think i can enter melee doubles. as much as i want to, i have to work.

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Who doesn't have a teams partner from tucson? I'm decent and can hold my own so u don't have to carry me ;-)

I play marth and fox

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
How do you guys feel about taking some results from the past 3 prior tournaments and averaging those to determine pools and seeding and everything? Regardless of region or whatnot. So like, for example, let's say Oksas gets 1st seed and I get 16th seed. In a Double Elimination bracket, regardless of location, we would be playing each other in a 16-man bracket.

How do you guys feel about this?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I'm ok with it. In tournament, things like friends and regions shouldn't matter. If you win, you gotta play them anyway. However, there are merits to having people that generally don't play each other face off just to keep things fresh. :D

I forgot how Wednesday Night Fights does it, but it's something like that I think.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Well, and then the other way to do it would be to actually update the PR.

And also...
How do you guys feel about A Bracket and B Bracket for those that didn't make it out of pools?

Do people not have the competitive spirit after getting low seeds in pools?
That is...how do you make it a good experience for those who get 2-0'd by everyone?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
And also...
How do you guys feel about A Bracket and B Bracket for those that didn't make it out of pools?

Do people not have the competitive spirit after getting low seeds in pools?
That is...how do you make it a good experience for those who get 2-0'd by everyone?
this is a good idea, BUT i'm not sure if it'll work given the number of setups and time constraints. since you guys are trying to run 3 events in one day in one house.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
"You're not a scrub, you're just the least skilled expert!" :troll:

Nah, I think as long as they get in plenty of friendlies, even people who get knocked out in pools can have fun.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
depending on how big the pools are, getting eliminated after them should still have provided them with a fair number of matches.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
If we could just have everyone bring a set up, that might do it. Then we can have more TVs for friendlies once people are eliminated. Then again, if we have ample set ups, we can have a B bracket easier too.

But how do we convince people to bring set ups? :/

oksas

oak-sauce
last time we had a few more setups but that's just because we had more people that came. if my house didn't already have 4 tvs we would be ****ed

TAG$

Smash Apprentice
yeah i agree with John,if we could somehow get more setups we could make times work out for everyone.Maybe it would help to know ahead of time how many people could bring setups ahead of time and write a list.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
charge a 1-2 dollar venue fee

and waive the fee for people who bring setups

and for people who came up with the idea <33333

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
last time we had a few more setups but that's just because we had more people that came. if my house didn't already have 4 tvs we would be ****ed
Yeah. I will try to get all 3 of my TVs and both of my two set ups for this.

And put the venue fee towards payout for Rat's Ridiculous Rumble :D http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=303460
I think I like the idea of putting a venue fee towards some silly side event. Perhaps crews or something tight like that.

What do you guys think is fair for venue fee? $1? $2? I'd preferably like to do something where only full set ups are counted. I don't want any halfsies on anything. If someone wants to save the money, buddy up with someone with the other part, lol.

Hm. And how do you reward people for multiple set ups? Like, as an example, John and I will have like 6 set ups between us. Do we still only get two venue fees waved? (Just as an example)

Perhaps I should start a list of those who will be bringing set ups?
(Note that all Project M set ups can function as Brawl ones too; it's more important to say they are Project M set ups because that denotes we actually have an SD card for it too)

1. OkamiBW - Melee
2. OkamiBW - Project M or Melee
3. Oksas - Melee
4. Oksas - Project M or Melee
5. Oksas - Project M or Melee
6. Oksas - Project M or Melee
7. Spencer/Brian - Melee?

Let's aim for 15 set ups. (including Brawl set ups ofc) Venue fee TBD.

Power Cords:
1. Oksas
2. Oksas
3. OkamiBW

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
If anyone who goes to tournaments ever wants to come by my place and grab my small TV you could just keep it, I don't really need it/use it for anything so I wouldn't be losing out on much.

I could probably also let you take my Cube and Melee for some period of time though I'd want that back at some point in the future LOL.

Top Bottom