• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Try Hard 4: Live Free or Try Hard (December 1st) AZ (Last one)

Jane

Smash Hero
i hear that man. university in general just seems like such a gigantic waste of money in these times of economic hardship. i can only imagine what it must be like for someone from out of state. good luck in central america bro, i'm sure you'll love it.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Xander, of course you can ask but it's not that hard to figure out you've had a consistent history of making foolish remarks. You just said some blatantly disrespectful **** and then think an apology is a question away? Learn for yourself and earn his respect back. Forum posts are not how. You shouldn't need to ask how.

I won't make this March 3 tournament but I'll request the later one. Rob, please update the thread title so people can actually know without having to weed out these long posts.

Johnny: LMAO at Rob lurking because of my post.

:phone:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I can't learn for myself how to earn his respect back if he doesn't share what's bothering him.

Also do you honestly think that I ever thought that I could just fix everything with a quick apology? That kind of insults me that you'd think me to be that childish.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I heard the tourney on the 3rd is also going to host Brawl, is this true? The Brawlers are going to need to know since most of them don't know this thread exists. I can make a separate thread for them if it's really happening.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
@Ferrish: LOL always with the CO scene hate. Too funny.
Not trying to hate, just expressing my astonishment at the people who think this scene and these players suck. Who the **** are you comparing yourselves to? There's the NM scene which is like two guys who play at anime conventions. There's the UT scene which the Utahnians at least compare to the CO scene. And then there's the CO scene which is like a puree of cough medicine and used diapers. I mean, what the hell,
V
man?

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I heard the tourney on the 3rd is also going to host Brawl, is this true? The Brawlers are going to need to know since most of them don't know this thread exists. I can make a separate thread for them if it's really happening.
Yes, both the March 3rd and March 31st ones are Brawl as well. I don't plan on entering doubles for at least the March 3rd one, so I can run it just fine. If I get a teammate for NYTE, then I'll want to team with him/her/it on the weekend before, so I'll recruit someone who's not doing doubles to help out with Brawl. :)

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
alright, sounds good. I'll let the Brawlers know.

Edit:
Would you like me to make a thread for the Brawl players, Rob?

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
Your basis of the CO scene interestingly contrasts not only with my experience, but the experience of pretty much EVERYBODY else I know that's been there.

A few years ago I posted in their thread saying I'm visiting Denver for a week or so, would anybody be willing to house me for a few days. I had housing for every day that I was there, and everybody there was super nice and was eager to play with me (keep in mind I've never been very renowned).

Also the NM scene is awesome, the twins alone would be testament to that, plus they have Brad, so extra win points for them. Pretty much every OOS community I've experienced (and I've experienced quite a few) has been good to me. It's been a while since I've been to Utah, but they were also super cool.

Also, I would imagine that they're not comparing to anything, as many of the players that trash the scene haven't really been OOS or haven't dealt with them enough to have developed these issues.

I love when the AZ thread is full of such heated and rational debate.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Hey Rob, regarding the Brawl tourney, we've been using a Japanese Ruleset lately, it's what we want to use.

[COLLAPSE="Japanese Ruleset"]The Japanese Ruleset

General Rules:
1. 3 stocks
2. 10-minute timer
3. Best-of-3 sets (WF, LF, and GF will be Best-of-5)
4. Double elimination
5. All items off
6. Team attack on
7. Changing controls allowed
8. Pause is turned off

Limiting Rules/Bans:
1. No using infinites for stalling purposes
2. No bugs/glitches of any kind
3. No Infinite Dimensional Cape (incidental use of IDC is tolerable)
4. Ledge grab limit of 50
5. No scrooging (player may travel under the stage once from the ledge)
* "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
Exceptions to Rule 5:
When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage.
[There is one other exception, but I don't understand it. I'll update this once I get a clarification from RAIN, or if someone else can figure out what it means from the Japanese version.]

Stages:
Starter:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville

Counterpick:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

Set Format:
Game 1:
1. Stage-striking order and controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors
2. Rock-Paper-Scissors loser strikes one of the three Starter stages
3. Rock-Paper-Scissors winner strikes one of the remaining two Starter stages
4. Players select their characters (players may elect to have a double-blind character selection)

Game 2 (and so on):
1. Loser may select controller port
2. Winner may ban a stage from the Counterpick list
3. Loser selects one of the remaining stages
4. Winner chooses character
5. Loser chooses character
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until the set is decided

Timeouts:
In the event that a match goes to time, the victor will be decided by the following steps, in order:
1. Number of ledgegrabs (if one player exceeds 50 ledgegrabs, that player will be declared the loser)
2. Number of remaining stocks
3. Amount of damage percent
4. If stocks and damage percent identical, the match will be replayed on the same stage, with each player at one stock.[/COLLAPSE]

I want to see Okami vs Yoshiken in Soul Calibur 5, you both play on the 360.

I'll be bringing SCV to both tourneys, and SfxT to the tourney on the 31st.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Your basis of the CO scene interestingly contrasts not only with my experience, but the experience of pretty much EVERYBODY else I know that's been there.

A few years ago I posted in their thread saying I'm visiting Denver for a week or so, would anybody be willing to house me for a few days.
People told me that the players there (Interim of Zeal in particular) used to be nice, but became "jaded with time." It's good to know now that it was actually true ... Nowadays, IoZ is a total ****head. He treats everybody like scum, especially those new to the scene--like I said, he called me "free money" despite knowing nothing about me other than that my permanent address is in CO, and he also mistreats an extremely hard-working and devoted newbie named Ethan. IoZ refuses to attend events (unless he can force Ethan to pay for him), and instead prefers to proclaim his righteousness superiority to every CO player in existence ever from the comfort of his own home (I challenged him to a $5 MM, and not only did he mysteriously fail to show up, he actually accused ME of backing out for some bull**** reason [I think his excuse was that I didn't put more money down so it was a waste of his time to go]). He claims to be top 32 in the world, which is definitely not true and probably never was true.

Literally every single interaction I have had with this guy has been him jerking off to himself. Recently, I was trying to have a Facebook conversation with Steam (a Brawl player) who was considering picking up Melee Yoshi. I was excitedly informing him of the two great Yoshi players in this state when IoZ decided to butt in for no reason to proclaim his righteousness that he knows everything about the Yoshi MU from "playing Bloshi [an apparently ****ty Yoshi] for YEARS" (emphasis in original text). He told Steam not to pick up Yoshi for reasons like, "dj-canceling with Yoshi gives Peach a free usmash," "Yoshi never wins CC wars against anybody," and "Sheik doesn't have to space or shield pressure Yoshi because the MU is an auto-win," which are clearly all unique to Bloshi's playstyle, because from the way IoZ described him, it seemed like dj-canceling was the most advanced technique he was able to perform and he had never heard of Yoshi's dtilt.

In this same conversation, he also brought up his "vast knowledge" of the Link metagame (for no apparent reason because he has explicitly told me that he knows for a fact that I do not play Link and only play Falcon) and then started bragging about how he got second in some NM tournament with Young Link (also for no apparent reason). All when I was trying to have a conversation with somebody else about something completely unrelated to any of this crap. Just to satisfy his own ego.

There was also this fellow named Mikezor. When I did what no other Denver player was willing to put in the effort to do and started a Denver-based Melee group, this guy showed up to the first meeting, which was actually pretty cool because we had like 6 people on just the first day and everyone had tons of fun. The next day he posted[COLLAPSE="Hidden"]
hey guys, i have an announcement

fish is an unsociable a$$hole

fish had the audacity to blame me for forgetting his wiimote at his own meet up

fish calls me out on smashboards when i really had no problem with the venue

fish thinks hes good at melee

fish is bad at melee

fish has a cool brother and a cool friend steph

fish is terrible at melee
[/COLLAPSE]which was quite false, since I never blamed him for forgetting the wiimote (no clue where he got that idea, we just asked him if he had brought one and if he was willing to drive to his house 5min away to pick one up), he quadruple-posted just to ***** about the venue being a Qdoba (again, no clue why that would be such a turnoff) and he only thought I sucked because I went easy on him--he was so bad that my kid brother 3-stocked him by spamming Dorf's jab and ftilt. Later on he also claimed (ok, just strongly implied) that I abuse my girlfriend. After that, nobody wanted to come. One guy (screen name Moblin) took pity and showed up a few times, but even he stopped coming after one or two meetings.

There is also Roman. After I drove for like 2 hours round trip just to play with him back when I was a total noob and we had several close Falcon dittos in which he came out on top, but not like two-stocking me or anything. Then when I go back to CO for winter break and challenge people to MMs (this was the same time I challenged IoZ), he doesn't show up and instead waits until my announced period of availability expires, then suddenly starts trash-talking me and "calling me out" to "put me in my place" since he "***** me in Falcon dittos" (I kid you not) "homeboy! HOMEBOY!" back before I learned how to wavedash :rolleyes:

Finally, there is Irvin, who isn't as big of a **** as these other fellows, but pulled a milder version of what Roman did. On one of the days I told people I would be available to play Smash but that they had to come to my house because my car was broken, he started trash-talking me and claimed that I was lying about my car being broken because I was just "too scared" to drive to his place to play him.

Maybe most of the players in CO are actually cool and I've just been extremely unlucky twice, but my experience is not something I have made up just for the sake of dissing the CO scene (as if I would want to in the first place if all the players were really cool). Actually, it's probably accurate to say that there are the same number or possibly more nice players than **** players in CO, but unfortunately the **** players dominate the scene so much that it hardly matters.

tl;dr It's true: right now, maybe not in the past, but right now the CO scene is a cough-medicine-and-used-diaper puree. With a pound of extra salt.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
^I want to meet IoZ. He plays Peach.

@Elvis:

Actually, most of Spencer's posts as of recently have been extremely well thought-out and relevant. That recent post was probably a joke post in response to my post.

Also, now that I'm well rested, I'd just like to say that I really want to talk to Jeff face to face this weekend. Even if the guy spends the rest of his life hating my guts, or not having respect for me, I'd still feel at least a little better if I could give him a heartfelt apology in person. That's the last I have to say on this subject.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Also, this is a good opportunity to gather the community together to get some volunteers (and when I mean volunteers, I mean people who will stop other Knuckleheads from holding up my tournament and making the tournament go faster.)

Pemerkosaan (Indonesian for ****).

@Dreadly: Very nice to hear.

@Ferrish: You speak some truth. The some odd 93 members of the CO smash community left SWF and went to Facebook. Everyone was rather nice and hated that the CO thread is full of spam.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
@Ferrish: You speak some truth. The some odd 93 members of the CO smash community left SWF and went to Facebook.
I am also part of that FB group, and although there are 93 members of that group, that includes the Brawl players, the MvC3 players, the LoL players ... I think a maximum of 10 people still actively play Melee (and I use the term "actively" quite loosely here): CloudChaser071, Steam, Ethan, IoZ, Roman, Irvin, Ferdi, Mikezor, Jamaal, and possibly Bees!. I'm not counting me or Zim cuz we basically live here, and I'm not counting my brother because he plays Brawl and literally only plays Melee when I'm at home (which is never).

Also, NYTE is coincidentally also my (21st) b-day weekend. I'd like to go, but there's a possibility that, like previous years, my grandparents whom I get to see maybe once a year will drive out to AZ to celebrate with me and Zim, and I will give priority to that.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Also, NYTE is coincidentally also my (21st) b-day weekend. I'd like to go, but there's a possibility that, like previous years, my grandparents whom I get to see maybe once a year will drive out to AZ to celebrate with me and Zim, and I will give priority to that.
DUDE omg you HAVE to come!!! We're like exactly the same age lol. Cmon! It'll be fun!!

:phone:

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
DUDE omg you HAVE to come!!! We're like exactly the same age lol. Cmon! It'll be fun!!
You are literally three days older than me (my bday is the 10th and yours is the 7th, right?).

...Now that I think about it, it would make much more sense to celebrate my 21st AFTER the fact rather than BEFORE. I guess I'll present that idea to my grandparents if they decide they want to come and see me.

zimantha

Smash Rookie
You are literally three days older than me (my bday is the 10th and yours is the 7th, right?).

...Now that I think about it, it would make much more sense to celebrate my 21st AFTER the fact rather than BEFORE. I guess I'll present that idea to my grandparents if they decide they want to come and see me.
You don't think your grandparents should come to the tournament?

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
You don't think your grandparents should come to the tournament?
Grandma Sam and Grandpa Doren would come, but in all likelihood they would neither approve of me going to a videogame tournament nor enjoy themselves at said tournament.

And anyways, it still makes more sense to celebrate AFTER my 21st rather than BEFORE so I can legally drink at my own party :ohwell:

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I haven't been following this thread so pardon if this was already covered, but will doubles be held as a round robin for both games and is this subject to change (at least for Brawl)?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
so it turns out I won't need to worry about coming late since I got the day off without having to ask for it
PT money matches up the :cyclops:

Top Bottom