• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trump's Travel Ban Lifted; Mr. R, Others Can Enter US Again

On Friday, Jan 27th, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order changing America's immigration policy. The order prevents immigration from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen for 90 days, suspends all refugee admission for 120 days.

During the suspension, the vetting process for refugees was under review and potentially under reform. Team Elevate's newly signed Super Smash Bros. for Wii U player, Ramin "Mr. R" Delshad, has already expressed his concerns about traveling to the U.S. for events:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Mr. R currently lives in the Netherlands but he is of Iranian descent. Seeking an answer that could guide his Smash career plans, he reached out to the U.S. Embassy and received the following email:

This put a temporary halt to Mr. R's plans to travel to the U.S. to train and compete leading up to EVO 2017. In addition, Mr. R would have missed out on four events on the 2GG Championship Series Circuit. This would put him at a huge deficit on his shot at making the championship finale in December.

The order does not affect American citizens with dual citizenship in one of the seven nations. Eager on finding a clear answer, Mr. R looked into information regarding dual citizenship:

An article posted by CNN Politics explains that persons holding dual citizenship with any of the seven aforementioned nations are also not permitted to enter the U.S. during this 90 day period.

“Travelers who have nationality or dual nationality of one of these countries will not be permitted for 90 days to enter the United States or be issued an immigrant or non-immigrant visa,” a State Department official said. “Those nationals or dual nationals holding valid immigrant or non-immigrant visas will not be permitted to enter the United States during this period. Visa interviews will generally not be scheduled for nationals of these countries during this period.”

It seems that Mr. R, as well as any others with exclusive or dual citizenship in the seven nations mentioned in the order, will not be allowed to attend American events for the next 90 days. To continue his Smash career, Mr. R has made the decision to travel to Japan to prove that the ban will not affect is passion and desire to play.

However, as of Feb 4th, The U.S. State Department will allow people with valid visas into the United States, a department official said on Saturday. This is being done in order to comply with an opinion from a federal judge in Seattle which bars President Donald Trump's executive action.

"We have reversed the provisional revocation of visas," the State Department official said in a statement. "Those individuals with visas that were not physically canceled may now travel if the visa is otherwise valid."

Many people and organizations in the Smash community are excited and relived that Mr. R can travel back to the United States to compete this spring and summer.

Team Note: We at Smashboards wish Mr. R, as well as other players in the FGC across the globe, well in their futures. In tumultuous times such as these, we can still stand united as a community. Stayed tuned to Smashboards.

Josh Olalde

Comments

And I thought the new vs old was dividing the scene. But with Trump along, that might become an non-issue in the future. Good thing they reversed this though cause that made no sense if you're at least an official citizen.

Last edited:
Making America Great Again by stopping famous players from entering the continent. -Trump
I guess Trump didn't want to make Sheik great again [especially if he cut Hawaii out of the union, then A Hawaiian guy would have been banned too].

Thank goodness for federal judges :^)

I expected flame wars about politics in this comment section. As of now, I'm pleasantly surprised. As a fellow Dutchie, I'm glad for Mr. R

At the risk of our national security.
Having a reality star as the president who hasn't even read the constitution is a bigger threat to national security than immigrants who come here looking for a better life
:secretkpop:

Last edited:
I am no langer pleasantly surprised
I love Mr R, his Brawl Marth Leon is the most beautiful and technically incredible thing I have seen along with M2k's melee Marth.

But part of the fun of being in the Smash community is saying something "over the top" innappropriate, just to get people rolling.

The whole political debate over banning them is a mess to me, I don't really know 100% which side is right - but ultimately I am against the ban because I don't want my country the USA to further destroy our global reputation even more, and it makes us look like incompetent hypocrites, imo.

I said all that to say, my first comment was going to be a little bit more "troll"ish than this, just because I find a little bit of trolling entertaining sometimes-

Wait a minute... Sheik is a woman that keeps her head covered... just saying....
Something like - "she's a woman who keeps her head covered and throws bombs that explode... and Mr R picks her... that might be telling us something about Mr R..."

If I said "Just joking!" right away, that would take the shock value of the comment away. And when your talking to abunch of random people on the internet, sometimes you don't mind making them upset?

Anyway, perhaps that's what was going through his mind when he made this comment
And I probably just explained exactly how much of a jerk I am. I just think people in the Smash community should remember that we are a community of 7yr olds to probably 67yr olds, and we shouldn't always take everyone's comments so seriously?

Or maybe I'm just a jerk, lol :D

Last edited:
I was being satirical... I guess I should of put "comedy corner" in 0.85 Arial font...

For the record, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Pakistan, have all KILLED americans in terrorist attacks IN AMERICA. The countries trump banned were previously vetted harder under Barack Obama because we had insufficient info on these higher-risk people. Further vetting is fine, but banning countries because you see legislation vetting these countries harder is illogical. None of the countries trump banned have killed a single US citizen in a terrorist attack since 1975.

In reality this thread is yet another point why Trump's muslim discrimination ban was futile. It causes far more problems than it solves, and it doesn't solve any real problems to begin with. If he wanted to keep us safe, he would of banned the countries I named earlier

I was being satirical... I guess I should of put "comedy corner" in 0.85 Arial font...

For the record, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Pakistan, have all KILLED americans in terrorist attacks IN AMERICA. The countries trump banned were previously vetted harder under Barack Obama because we had insufficient info on these higher-risk people. Further vetting is fine, but banning countries because you see legislation vetting these countries harder is illogical. None of the countries trump banned have killed a single US citizen in a terrorist attack since 1975.

In reality this thread is yet another point why Trump's muslim discrimination ban was futile. It causes far more problems than it solves, and it doesn't solve any real problems to begin with. If he wanted to keep us safe, he would of banned the countries I named earlier
My apologies then, it's hard to see sarcasm on the net, but I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions

Trump is an idiot thinking he could ban travel from other countries i seriously hope that he doesnt do anything else stupid but its Trump so that isnt going to happen i just hope that i can move to england france or maybe just canada maybe i can keep away from Trump his wall and focus on things like my grades and smash bros instead of getting pulled into WWIII

And the terrorists were part of the countries he didnt ban also you cannot discriminate muslims its called racism and its unconstitutional and furthermore there have been far more american terrorist attacking america then other then organizations yes 9/11 happened and i believe the boston marathon bombing was not american terrorists but most mass shootings were conservative white trash idiots who are racist and are saying no to change at this rate though someone may assasinate trump within his service and if notradomis predicted it and he has so much hate its almost bound to happen
I just dont want to be in america when it goes to hell

Last edited:
Well its not the first time someone said something like that but it is very unlikely that anyone will do it and complete it im not going to attempt because i dont have access to anything that would do it or live close enough to do it either overall i expect him to get impeached hands down because congress really doesnt like him

Yeah i just wanna leave to a different country until this blows over and luckily congress is already trying to impeach h Trump

Technically it can be argued that we have been in WWIII for a while now....just not in the conventional sense. And regardless it doesn't need Trump's help in pushing it forward since we have Russia, China, North Korea, and potentially the Philippines rustling up **** that's best left alone.

Yeah i just wanna leave to a different country until this blows over and luckily congress is already trying to impeach h Trump
That's a pretty wild assumption even taking in the current political climate in the States. I'm no fan of Trump but people tend to exaggerate what the man is actually capable of. And you can always come to Japan. Besides earthquakes, typhoons, North Korea, and the occasional train molester - we are devoid of any dangers. And we have very low crime. And social health care. And zero guns even for the police. And the 2020 Olympics. And a low birth rate. And the police are technically allowed to monitor and investigate Muslims regardless of their country of origin.

At the risk of our national security. Hopefully you guys enjoy Mr. R. Meanwhile we're opening the risk of letting dangerous radical Muslims into the U.S. that want us all dead.

I'm really liking how the mods are removing comments in defense of Trump and letting the anti-Trump ones get by without so much as a warning.

I'm really liking how the mods are removing comments in defense of Trump and letting the anti-Trump ones get by without so much as a warning.
Because when you say "at the risk of our national security" you're literally implying people from the countries banned are in some way posing an immediate threat. It's not only offensive, it's discriminatory especially when the legislation favors one religion over another.

If you want to have a real in depth discussion about this I'm sure there are much more suitable areas to talk about it. This thread is directly about how the ban effected smash players. If you want to talk policy, this is a great example of how poorly constructed the ban was.

So when you say mods are only picking out pro-trump comments, I think you're genuinely confusing policy with trolling.

Edit: For the sake of the political argument, my wife works with a woman from Baghdad, Iraq. Her husband helped the US military with intel, translating, and other tactical initiatives. Because of this, and the danger that put him and his family in, our commanders helped him to bring his family to America. They work, they pay taxes, they have babysat my kid. He's back in Iraq right now helping us again... he cannot come home. Even if you haven't been over there, you can imagine how dangerous it is to be a "local" and "turn" on these extremist groups. They want him dead almost more than they want the soldiers he helps dead. He has quite literally laid his life on the line FOR this country, and is being denied reentry. I'm actually in the middle of a mountain of paperwork as I type this, on the phone with some of my lawyers trying to find a way to bring him home.

Last edited:
Because when you say "at the risk of our national security" you're literally implying people from the countries banned are in some way posing an immediate threat. It's not only offensive, it's discriminatory especially when the legislation favors one religion over another.

If you want to have a real in depth discussion about this I'm sure there are much more suitable areas to talk about it. This thread is directly about how the ban effected smash players. If you want to talk policy, this is a great example of how poorly constructed the ban was.

So when you say mods are only picking out pro-trump comments, I think you're genuinely confusing policy with trolling.

Edit: For the sake of the political argument, my wife works with a woman from Baghdad, Iraq. Her husband helped the US military with intel, translating, and other tactical initiatives. Because of this, and the danger that put him and his family in, our commanders helped him to bring his family to America. They work, they pay taxes, they have babysat my kid. He's back in Iraq right now helping us again... he cannot come home. Even if you haven't been over there, you can imagine how dangerous it is to be a "local" and "turn" on these extremist groups. They want him dead almost more than they want the soldiers he helps dead. He has quite literally laid his life on the line FOR this country, and is being denied reentry. I'm actually in the middle of a mountain of paperwork as I type this, on the phone with some of my lawyers trying to find a way to bring him home.
Best wishes, sorry to make you waste your time

They can't let that "wrongthink" reign supreme.
If you think something is not appropriate, please report it. That said, anything that is deemed as inappropriate, pro-trump or otherwise, is subject to the same standards. If something is posted with the intention of riling up members (bait), then it should be removed. There is nothing wrong with healthy discussion as long as it stays civil.

As said in the comment above me, it is probably just better to move on to a different topic as this topic is one that can get very emotional.

D
I think people might want to have a look at this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNu4xU9qOEM

I assume securing your own country is an utterly immoral act.

Trump is an idiot thinking he could ban travel from other countries i seriously hope that he doesnt do anything else stupid but its Trump so that isnt going to happen i just hope that i can move to england france or maybe just canada maybe i can keep away from Trump his wall and focus on things like my grades and smash bros instead of getting pulled into WWIII
A man who was against the invasions of Iraq, Libya and Syria is going to start WWIII? I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised this affected him, did he not have dual citizenship already by now? He's entered so many competitions there he may as well live in the US

I think people might want to have a look at this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNu4xU9qOEM

A man who was against the invasions of Iraq, Libya and Syria is going to start WWIII? I don't get it.
By banning muslims he publically stated to the global community that America has an anti-muslim agenda. This fuels hatred and radicals wanting to kill us. Had he just done vetting without making a fool of us with ****ing useless bans then we wouldn't have a problem of war.

Trump is literally fuel for radical islamic terrorism. By electing him you've almost ensured there will be more war. Discriminating against muslims is just going to keep fueling this war.

Technically it can be argued that we have been in WWIII for a while now....just not in the conventional sense. And regardless it doesn't need Trump's help in pushing it forward since we have Russia, China, North Korea, and potentially the Philippines rustling up **** that's best left alone.

That's a pretty wild assumption even taking in the current political climate in the States. I'm no fan of Trump but people tend to exaggerate what the man is actually capable of. And you can always come to Japan. Besides earthquakes, typhoons, North Korea, and the occasional train molester - we are devoid of any dangers. And we have very low crime. And social health care. And zero guns even for the police. And the 2020 Olympics. And a low birth rate. And the police are technically allowed to monitor and investigate Muslims regardless of their country of origin.
trust me Japan is at the top of my places to go/live I LOVE Japan but some events are uh questionable like the day of the male
genitalia other than that my only problem is money

At the risk of our national security. Hopefully you guys enjoy Mr. R. Meanwhile we're opening the risk of letting dangerous radical Muslims into the U.S. that want us all dead.
really you realize 92% of all "terrorist attacks" weren't terrorist attacks but American born homicides

his decisions and his overinflated ego plus several countries are reconsidering their relations with the US because of it and not in a good way

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom