• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(True) Hookshot Cancel-During Recovery

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
So when playing melee sometimes when using my hookshot i realized oddly after i hit the wall with it(when recovering so there isnt any misconceptions) i would go into a tumbling animation, i just thought it was randomness. Today I looked into it a little deeper because i havent read anything about it on smashboards. When messing around i realized if u airdoge up with L or R + z simutaneouslly the hook shot will hit the wall but then it will instanlly disconnect. From there u can instanlly do any arial u want which does have a severe risk of causing death unless u still havnt used ur first jump. Also u can instanlly up b instead. But u have to hit up and the other 2 buttons at the same time, kind of smash up. U shouldnt c any part of the air dodge plus link should rise slightly above his hookshot before he tumbles. Anyway messing with it i found if u do it high enough up on final destinations wall u can do a n-air then up-b & still survive if timed really well. Was this already discovered??? I wish I could explain it better but someone try it and tell me what u think. Its probablly really situational but it could b used as a mind game maybe. Fort instance when ur opponent is in front of u trying to stop ur recovery or is still jumping back to the stage after hitting u well u can simply hit them using ur hookshot then cancel it and up-b causing multiple hits. Maybe even causing them to hit the understage and end up getting stage spiked because it will probablly catch them off guard.

Oh yeah probablly common sense but i might as well mention, in order to cancel it the hookshot must actually hit the wall and u should be the right distance away from the wall.

If u know what i mean try it and let me know what u think.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Huh, this is a lot like Samus' rising grapple. I keep telling myself to try it with Link, but I always forget.

Spife

Smash Master
vids would be swell, cause I can't really picture what's going on here.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
It's the exact same input as Samus' rising grapple, but instead of Link rising up, the hookshot cancels, and he usually falls to his death. I suppose it could be practiced to help sweetspot... sounds a tad unnecessary tho.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Right now I dont have a camera to record me doing it, and yeah it is just like the cancel samus has where he can do any attack after doing it. Yeah it does seem unnecessary but I'm still going to try and master it so just out of the blue i can do it the rare chance i get that it would be useful possibly. It never hurts to b able to anything possible with ur character, thats the only reason i really dug into it to figure it out.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
i'll record it tomorrow i guess LOL.

but yeah its just like Samus' rising grapple also im gonna show you guys the real Hookshot Cancel LOL.

Romedogg where do you happen to smash?

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Sioux falls South Dakota, I have learned most of links advanced play with wavedashing, reverse chaingrabbing, l-canceling, wavelanding, multiple chaingrabs following tech rolls, and everything but i lack good opponents at my location. I have experience from playing the game alot but ppl i play aggainst get tired of the game because i always try to improve so i tend to beat them. I just prolly lack good mind games because i havent made it to any tournaments. So there is a little briefing even though u didnt ask that much lol. Oh yeah but i am hoping on making it to Genesis but i will prolly loose early in it bcause of playing link and little tournament experience but i think goin will still be worth it.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
You can ledge cancel the hookshot as an attack just like edge canceling a d-air on platform edges and the stage edges causing like 0 lag, is that the hook cancel ur speaking of also showing lol? I might make a video cause i grabbed a camera from my sisters house but if ur vid shows what i am talking about then i wont take the time lol. I still think u guys dont know exactly what i mean the buttons are just like for the Samus thing and link can do that stuff. But if u do it about a link size away from the wall he starts to tumble really fast after the hook hits the wall but it causes u to stay in one spot for a split second so if u do a n-air or b-air instantly after the hook hits the wall he will do the attack instead of the tumble. U wont fall much vertically it is almost like a rising jump arial cause the action causes slight upward momentum. Therefore using this technique u could get an extra b-air or n-air before jumping and/or up-Bing back 2 the stage. If u do the imput correctly it wont use ur second jump if u still have it cause sometimes hitting up causes u to start a jump stealing ur second jump if u still have it.

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
Its happened to me a couple of times in melee before I thought that there would be several that would have discussed about this issue or topic

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I figured the same thing but I guess everyone has pootytang on their minds these days instead of a guy in a skirt and tights awesome tool of excellence in a perfect game. Anyway links hookshot really needs to be looked at a little more it has some combo potential that is kinda situational both as an attack and cancelled in the way I am trying to explain. Obviouslly we know chain-grab combos r awesome.

Skler

Smash Master
Doesn't this depend a lot on the stage? I know that Samus can rising grapple cancel pretty much anywhere (though it's hard to do on a bunch of stages, easy to do on FD and PS I think), but her rising grapple has a lot more movement.

Link's rising grapple is really crappy by comparison. It doesn't give him more height than just grappling the stage after airdodging up and pulling in, and if it does it's such a tiny amount that it really won't make a difference. Granted, if this is what I think it is you need to pretty much be hitting the top of the stage with the grapple anyways (or a place with a sharp turn on the stage, something that will disconnect the grapple like random parts of Pokemon Stadium sometimes do).

Too situational and risky for me.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
what i am talking about is different i am talking about a technique that is done the same way but he still gets very little rise and his hookshot is cancelled but he doesnt free fall where he cant do anything. For instance with this at dream land64 i was able to wavedash backwards off of one of the edge platforms with a n-air hookshot cancel giving me little rise then instanlly n-airing after i hit the buttons to hookshot cancel. So the second n-air was still above the underside of the stage since i still had my second jump i then could jump & up- b back. also on final destination i could full jump bair into nair off the stage then hookshot cancel and do another n-air about a link size or lower below the stage top then jump & up-b back. See what i mean yet? Of course it uses ur hookshot but i am talking about using it more so for edgeguarding porpuses.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Never mind i think skler really knows what i am talking about lol. OH but using the hook shot as an attack can be platform cancelled if u nick the platform edge with ur lead toe after doing it in the air. Did everyone already know that?

Spife

Smash Master
Never mind i think skler really knows what i am talking about lol. OH but using the hook shot as an attack

Sorry, but I stopped reading there. I'm sort of joking, but I'm kind of not.

Me and the hook shot as an attack have a long history.

I'd stop double posting too :(

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
LOL guys i actually have a way of using the hookshot as an attack without the lag at the end and im gonna record it tomorrow or weekend cant do it today again LOL school johns and lazyness.

Skler

Smash Master
You can edge cancel everything that has a special animation for landing lag (all of Link's attacks - projectiles). You can even wind cancel Link's spin attack on Dreamland if you hold towards the stage while standing on the edge of a platform.

Unless you guys are talking about a way of canceling (hookshot) lag without edge canceling, in which case I'm intrigued and would like to say "vids plx".

Spife

Smash Master
You can edge cancel everything that has a special animation for landing lag (all of Link's attacks - projectiles). You can even wind cancel Link's spin attack on Dreamland if you hold towards the stage while standing on the edge of a platform.

Unless you guys are talking about a way of canceling (hookshot) lag without edge canceling, in which case I'm intrigued and would like to say "vids plx".
uhh it's called the L button. Sheesh noob.
>.>

Skler, MM at MM?

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
LOL yeah..
except in a different way..
grab edge edge hop di out hookshot to di back edge cancel regrab edge LOL.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yeaaaaaaah not double posting is a good idea cause I do lurk here.

__

[jokes]
And stos what'd i tell you about trying to add **** to link's metagame?

EITHER YOU STOP OR IM SHUTTIN DOWN THE STUDIO.
[/jokes]

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Dogy dont give me this bs LOL. i dont like Links current metagame. we should just bring tents to tourneys to warn them about our incoming ****.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So you'd rather go jump into the **** instead of let them jump into yours?

__
But na, for real. Handle yo business with your hookshots and your hittin people in the face and shankin people with your 5 foot butterknife.

I'm just passin through.

KEKE! >.<

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
So you'd rather go jump into the **** instead of let them jump into yours?

__
But na, for real. Handle yo business with your hookshots and your hittin people in the face and shankin people with your 5 foot butterknife.

I'm just passin through.

KEKE! >.<
skank, i'd rather just into **** and show him the real ****..

LOL i think thats how most of us gets butt****ed. lets stick to camping.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
lol isnt this obvious guys? samus can do it too. you press A as soon as your grapple hits the wall. i think every link player ever has done this....

Chamelyonne

Smash Rookie
So when playing melee sometimes when using my hookshot i realized oddly after i hit the wall with it(when recovering so there isnt any misconceptions) i would go into a tumbling animation, i just thought it was randomness. Today I looked into it a little deeper because i havent read anything about it on smashboards. When messing around i realized if u airdoge up with L or R + z simutaneouslly the hook shot will hit the wall but then it will instanlly disconnect. From there u can instanlly do any arial u want which does have a severe risk of causing death unless u still havnt used ur first jump. Also u can instanlly up b instead. But u have to hit up and the other 2 buttons at the same time, kind of smash up. U shouldnt c any part of the air dodge plus link should rise slightly above his hookshot before he tumbles. Anyway messing with it i found if u do it high enough up on final destinations wall u can do a n-air then up-b & still survive if timed really well. Was this already discovered??? I wish I could explain it better but someone try it and tell me what u think. Its probablly really situational but it could b used as a mind game maybe. Fort instance when ur opponent is in front of u trying to stop ur recovery or is still jumping back to the stage after hitting u well u can simply hit them using ur hookshot then cancel it and up-b causing multiple hits. Maybe even causing them to hit the understage and end up getting stage spiked because it will probablly catch them off guard.

Oh yeah probablly common sense but i might as well mention, in order to cancel it the hookshot must actually hit the wall and u should be the right distance away from the wall.

If u know what i mean try it and let me know what u think.

Yeah, I'm a Link main on melee and it happened to me last in the Pokemon stadium. Serious tumbling animation going on, I don't know what the problem was. It just makes getting back so much more risky. Definitely a bug that needs to be looked at/ inspected or fixed.

Top Bottom