• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with ladder combo

Geese

Smash Cadet
So I have mained MK for like 9 months now, and I still have trouble pulling off the ladder combo. I can easily do it at early percents but I never kill with it. I'm not sure what exactly my problem killing with it is, so any advice would be grealty appreciated. Like exactly what percents are the easiest and most effective at killing people with it.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
The % range for truly killing most characters is very narrow (like 5% or less). It's also different for every character. The only characters who have a relatively wide % range are very floaty characters like Rosa, Peach and Samus. Having light weight is also a factor.

Things which make it easier to kill the opponent include:
  • Starting with a full hop Uair rather than a short hop
  • Not doing fastfall Uairs during the combo
  • Starting the combo from a platform
  • Getting the sweetspot of Shuttle Loop (the lower hitbox)
  • Comboing them off the side and finishing with Nair, Bair, airdodge read > Drill etc.
MK has lots of other kill options so it's not totally necessary for Uair combos to kill, racking up like 40% is amazing in of itself. It is good to take a stock when you get the opportunity though of course.

Geese

Smash Cadet
The % range for truly killing most characters is very narrow (like 5% or less). It's also different for every character. The only characters who have a relatively wide % range are very floaty characters like Rosa, Peach and Samus. Having light weight is also a factor.

Things which make it easier to kill the opponent include:
  • Starting with a full hop Uair rather than a short hop
  • Not doing fastfall Uairs during the combo
  • Starting the combo from a platform
  • Getting the sweetspot of Shuttle Loop (the lower hitbox)
  • Comboing them off the side and finishing with Nair, Bair, airdodge read > Drill etc.
MK has lots of other kill options so it's not totally necessary for Uair combos to kill, racking up like 40% is amazing in of itself. It is good to take a stock when you get the opportunity though of course.
Thanks. I know he has other good kill options but I feel like after so long I should also be picking up on his patented combo and actually killing with it too.

Ulevo

Smash Master
:4jigglypuff::4kirby::4lucas::4luigi::4marth::4mewtwo::4gaw::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4peach::4pit::rosalina::4samus::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda:

These are the only characters you can ladder to death without rage or a platform. If you are trying it against anyone else you are likely to be unsuccessful unless they do not know how to DI properly, and some of these characters have very specific % ranges.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
I would really really really lab the percents in training mode for EVERY character until you feel comfortable with knowing when a u-air string is going to kill, even if you have to fast fall the first one. I think the more you practice it the more it will come to you. I lost my little black book with the percentage range but everyone falls into "golden percent range" in 3 different categories. 12-20%, 25-45%, and 40-60%. Those three generally apply to lightweight, medwight, and heavyweight respectively, ignoring the nuance of fall speed/gravity (for now). I'll leave you with three clips vs Marth on Town and City. These percentages would also kill on the other stages -Battlefield. (Believe me I've had the time.)

Here's some clips of me and our PR Marth guy D.

1: https://clips.twitch.tv/ExpensivePiercingTofuBrokeBack
2: https://clips.twitch.tv/TardyProtectiveEndiveRedCoat (2nd stock of clip 1)
3: https://clips.twitch.tv/SparklyWiseCaterpillarSMOrc

Just look at the percentage range of my health from those clips. In clip one we see ladder combo starts and is true while I have 37% on board (no rage) and Marth is at 45% (after dash attack). In clip 2 I have 56% (base rage(super spicy)), and ladder combo starts and is true at 40% (after dash attack). In clip 3 I have a whopping 119% and ladder combo starts at merely 21% and takes it. So as you can see MK hugely benefits from rage, which can really skew the percentage at which ladder combo starts, I would say keep practicing and you'll get it in time.

Drakniss

Smash Rookie
Hello, I personally thought I got the combo with Samus in training, only to find I messed up with even Peach!!! It seems as if I can do it better with Mario than Peach. For some reason, at times, I fall to the ground after two u-airs, because the tap jump doesn't work!
I use the WiiU gamepad, probably why I suck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom