• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble throwing metalblade diagonally

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
Is anyone else having trouble throwing the metal blade diagonally?
I have went to training and attempted in 1/4 speed and I still cant get consistent diagonal throws
Most of the time the blade goes straight, sometimes it will go down, I cant seem to understand how to do it
I can throw blades up left right or down without problems

Anybody have any tips?

GrandTale

Smash Rookie
I always felt like the timing was a bit finicky. It's like as soon as you press the button you have to hold it for a bit so it registers the direction properly. I still get wrong directions from time to time, but it's mainly due to the heat of the battle. If you use gamecube controller i feel like it's easier to get diagonal, but if you're someone like me who actually uses the wii u game pad it's a bit harder.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think the reason is the margin of error for diagonal throws is narrower. Most of the time you would want to do the main compass directions and less often diagonal throws so it makes it so you have to be exactly diagonal on the control stick to do it.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Diagonal saw blade inputs have to be perfectly diagonal, iirc. It makes it annoying on wii u pro controller because the stick well is a circle instead of an octogon like the GameCube controller. Unfortunately, there is no way to change that or make it easier, I can't count the number of times I've been trying to input down forward saw blade toward the ledge to block edge guard attempts while recovering only to accidentally input leaf shield and fall to my death.

Just go into practice mode and keep practicing diagonals until the muscle memory just does it for you.

Also, you don't have to hold b, and it doesn't matter how long the directional input is held when choosing blade direction, personally I flick the stick for them. The only important thing, besides the direction being perfect, is that the direction is entered after the neutral b and before the throw.

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
I don't think doing it in 1/4 speed will help out much since the timing is different and can mess up your rhythm. Besides, you won't be playing a live match with 1/4 speed anyway.

If you feel like you've gotten the hang of diagonal thrown metal blade, try practicing b-reversing diagonal thrown metal blade or even just regular b-reverse thrown metal blade to help mix up your landing plus it looks really cool too.

GrandTale

Smash Rookie
Another topic on Diagonal Metal Blade, has anyone figured out how to do diagonal downward without the turn around animation? Like you jump forward but angle it diagonal behind you and you throw it as if you threw it in front of you. The reason I ask is because Metal Blade lands in a different spot, and in cases I had this happen I found it easier to combo it into Mega Upper.

Top Bottom