• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble Picking a Main

Beanium

Smash Rookie
Hi, I've been playing melee a lot recently and have played smash 4 since its release. I have been having a really hard time deciding who I would like to main, and so far I have narrowed it down to :sheikmelee:,:jigglypuffmelee: and :falconmelee:. Any opinion/advice is greatly appreciated to help out my decision.

D

Deleted member

Well for one thing, what play style do you prefer? Rushdown, zoning, bait and punish, etc.? Have you mastered fundamentals? Do you like their design? Follow their series? Enjoy winning matches as them? That sort of thing. That said, it is perfectly fine to have more than one main. I do not know too much about Sheik, Jigglypuff, or Falcon on the competitive level since I do not follow competitive play. My suggestion is practice with them for a while and see which of their play styles suit you best. For example I have stuck with :peachmelee: since I began playing Melee in 2005 since she is technically demanding and I've been grinding advanced tech since Brawl's release. Something about advanced tech that makes me want to explore the game more. While I will never try my hand at a tournament, I want to learn as much as I can to separate myself from the casual crowd. You want more help, you can see the Mains Advice thread under the Smash 4 subforums.

Looking at your signature...you main some of the same characters as me, which is nice. I, a 56-year-old female Smasher, main :rosalina::4peach::4bayonetta2: myself.

Sayonara :kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
What are your goals? Want to win? Explore the meta of a character? Just beat your friends?

Try sticking with a character for 4 - 6 weeks and see how you like it. You can know what the character can do/should do, but that only does so much. After enough time is put into a single character you can learn, even feel, the nuances of playing with them. The subtleties can make a character more fun to play or main than your initial impressions of them, one that is only learned after investing a good amount of time in with said character.

Or you could pick your nose instead.

Last edited:

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Put yourself in this scenario: you're the number one player in the world winning every tournament with ease. What character do you see yourself using? Which one would you be proud to see yourself with?

Pick a character, practice with them, play against CPU and people and see if you can get comfortable with them quickly. That is most likely the one you will have a good time putting your effort into as you can see improvement not too far away. If not, ditch them and move onto the next one on the list and repeat until you have a main. If you're still having problems deciding on just one, try to use two characters and put time into both. Sure, it will take longer to learn two whole sets of matchups, but it will end your dilemma the quickest and you can start practicing sooner. From there, you may put time into both equally which is fine or put more time into one and get bored with the other. Thus, you can drop the neglected character and voila! Your main is decided.

If you are too lazy or really, really indecisive, just go random and go with the first one you get. After that, stick with that character and have the story of "I only chose (insert name here) because it was random." If you don't like the character you get and are happy with the next one, that is probably the character you will enjoy playing.

TL;DR: Experiment, use multiple mains or go random and stick with it.

Last edited:

Fearitself

Smash Rookie
Since you say you main Falcon in sm4sh and have Sheik as a secondary I'd say go Puff to be different. But the honest truth is always the same answer, play who you have the most fun with. All 3 are high/top tier so they are all viable. Either play them all or play one at a time for an extended period of time to get a real feel. Playing netplay or friendlies or 20XX can help you see which character you do best with as well if you like the characters equally.
If you like all 3 you can honestly tri-main. But play enough and one will likely start to stick out for ya.

atara

Smash Cadet
I've got you covered, OP.

mod edit: censor dodge, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom