• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble dealing with Short-Hop Approaches

Sisma

Smash Rookie
So, hi, I'm kind of new to the forums. I've been playing Olimar since the Brawl days and have stuck with him in Smash 4. Recently, I've been trying to make my Olimar more competitive and have read over the guide here. But I'm having trouble dealing with people approaching me with short-hop aerials. I feel like short-hops put opponents in a space where almost none of Olimar's moves hit. Would anyone have any advice on this topic?

Thanks!

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Well, if your opponent is hopping at you, the first thing to note is that outside a select few characters, they don't have much on your shield. Olimar's OoS might not be the greatest, but OoS will put you at an advantage anyway. You can use the momentum gained from most of your defensive maneuvers to really apply pressure with Pikmin and your own hits.

The other option is to simply catch them off guard with your own short-hop F-air (Which is difficult, but a lot of players don't expect Olimar to move so quickly and so aggressively.), or in the case of Purple Pikmin, an early Pikmin Throw can knock them clean out of the air, so keep an eye out for when you have them ready.

I don't play Olimar much anymore, but this is just from my experiences with him - so I hope any of this helps!

Yaddl

Smash Cadet
As long as you're not dealing with a character that out ranges you, short-hop fairing is not a bad idea considering it autocancels, allowing you to immediately shield, grab, dtilt or pretty much anything else afterwards. Also, don't forget how much range your grab is- it's more than possible to grab somebody immediately after or a little bit before they land from a safe distance (especially with pivot grab).

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Pivot grab their approaches and retreat. If you find yourself cornered choose either to go through them or above them to get on the other side with more room to run. Power shield their aerials to pubish and use purple side b to keep some safe hitboxes out.

Top Bottom