• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Trophies found in Smash Run Demo

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Today at Best Buy I got to run through Smash Run three times, each time as a different character. On my third run as Marth I began collecting trophies as rewards for defeating enemies. Simple enough. What stood out though was that each trophy was depicted as a white question mark on a trophy stand. I figured the demo was trying to hide them and continued on (I won by the way with +7. Smash Run is wonderful)

However, upon completion of the demo I was show a rewards screen listing all my collectibles I had picked up. All three trophies I found were now displaying their model. One was Greninja, the other a Demon Train, and the third I don't remember. The Nintendo rep had no idea if this was supposed to be visable information or not. Each trophy was named but no description appeared.

It's possible this is just a design choice, but it conflicts with how Smash has historically done trophy pickups. The models are always visible. I think it may have been oversight on Nintendo's part when preparing the demo. If this is the case, it's possible that other trophy models can be found and listed and may even hint at future characters, stages, etc. Keep an eye out at E3 or smashfest this weekend.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I could be that the specific trophies you get are decided at the end, and as far as the game is concerned they're blank at the time you pick them up. I can't think of any reason to do that though.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Melee did something like that too. Well, the trophies showed their normal models from the regular game perspective (far away), but if you tried to zoom in to get a better look at them, they turned into white question marks. This is consistent with that design. I always thought that they did that just to add "surprise" to the trophies you pick up until you see them all in the end.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing this was done just as a placeholder thing. Being that trophies are a minor gameplay element, they're probably working on these last, and just chucked whatever ones they had completed into the game as a "look what you can do" example.

I seem to remember at least one of the pokémon (Xerneas) doing absolutely nothing but standing around looking majestic in the WiiU version, making me think he wasn't complete either.

Top Bottom