• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trodain's Royal Guard - Eight (Hero of Dragon Quest VIII) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A little fun new information: According to Sakurai's new column, Eight got the stamp of approval to be a Hero skin specifically because of Western demand.
I knew that VIII was the franchise' equivalent to Final Fantasy VII in terms of popularity in the West, this just proves it.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I actually remember seeing a DQ8 review in a gaming magazine I really enjoyed back in the day. They even had a contest for one of those terrible/hilarious slime PS2 controllers. Seeing DQ8 guy get in as a Western appeal makes me wish I tried the game after seeing it reviewed so well.

Anyways, congrats OP!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I knew that VIII was the franchise' equivalent to Final Fantasy VII in terms of popularity in the West, this just proves it.
I KNEW IT!

I mean, yeah. That was always the case. It's just that when Erdrick leaked, everybody forgot that Eight was the most recognizeable character in the west. Although a lot of people still mentioned it.

But yeah. It's great to see that Sakurai is basically saying that DQ is so HUGE that there's even a big western fanbase to appeal to. :,)

Who would they have gone with, if Eight hadn't been chosen? I can only assume it would have been DQ6's protagonist. (Then there were 2 Erdrick's Sword users, and 2 Zenithia Sword users).

Still, I'm so very glad they went for Eight. It's so surreal, and my DQ8 PS2 box just happens to be standing on my shelf along BOTW and Mario Odyssey.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I KNEW IT!

I mean, yeah. That was always the case. It's just that when Erdrick leaked, everybody forgot that Eight was the most recognizeable character in the west. Although a lot of people still mentioned it.

But yeah. It's great to see that Sakurai is basically saying that DQ is so HUGE that there's even a big western fanbase to appeal to. :,)

Who would they have gone with, if Eight hadn't been chosen? I can only assume it would have been DQ6's protagonist. (Then there were 2 Erdrick's Sword users, and 2 Zenithia Sword users).

Still, I'm so very glad they went for Eight. It's so surreal, and my DQ8 PS2 box just happens to be standing on my shelf along BOTW and Mario Odyssey.
I think it could have been Madason, seeing as he has a movie deal.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Madason is usually depicted with a staff and not a sword otherwise I think he would have been the zenithia rep. I never played 4 personally, but whatever the more the merrier I suppose.

I like the lineup they went with. Maybe 6 over 4 for me at least.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't Madason simply use his staff like a sword, the way some swordfighter Miis do?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Couldn't Madason simply use his staff like a sword, the way some swordfighter Miis do?
That’s what I keep suggesting but people say it would look weird. I don’t see why. Slightly out of place, perhaps, but once you’re whacking opponents with the staff, it won’t matter. (Maybe they’d have to adapt the SFX?)

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
That’s what I keep suggesting but people say it would look weird. I don’t see why. Slightly out of place, perhaps, but once you’re whacking opponents with the staff, it won’t matter. (Maybe they’d have to adapt the SFX?)
Whatever, I say screw the promotional art and story and just give him a sword. But with how beloved DQ is in Japan, they probably didn't want to risk that.

I also would've perfered 6 to 4, but then we'd have another blue haired sword fighter, so I guess they didn't want to do that. And I think 4 is more popular than 6, but idk.

D

Deleted member

Hey people, will you debut Guv by making him fight a specific character?

I personally will do so with Samus. Not because I hate the character (she is in fact ny main), but because I've been waiting years to see the two face to face.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice

I personally will do so with Samus. Not because I hate the character (she is in fact ny main), but because I've been waiting years to see the two face to face.
I always say things to these, but then forget to follow up on it. I end up playing in training mode or something and figuring out the game/character. My first thought was cloud, so maybe him or Link on Hyrule temple melee stage.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a copy of VIII for the 3DS in anticipation of Hero's release. Regardless of whether or not I enjoy it, Eight is probably still going to be my preferred alt just because he looks so badass.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I'm thinking either Cloud for Final Fantasy vs Dragon Quest or just throwing all 4 Hero alts in for one big Dragon Quest jamboree.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With Hero's release apparently being in the next couple of weeks (if not the next couple of days), I think it's best to move the discussion to the Hero Social thread to keep it all in one place rather than having each costume (aside from Solo) being splintered off into its own discussion thread.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-official-hero-social-thread-under-construction.484867/

This thread (and the others based on Dragon Quest's heroes) will be preserved as it is so people can see how the support developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom