• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trodain's Royal Guard - Eight (Hero of Dragon Quest VIII) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Eight (or the Dragon Quest VIII Hero)

Eight as shown with Munchie, a mouse.

Who's the Dragon Quest VIII Hero, Eight?
Eight is a Trodain royal guardsman who survived an attack from Dhoulmagus. He sets at on a journey to defeat this dark mage and lift the curse on King Trode and his daughter Princess Medea. He doesn't say anything, but he has courage and will help people in need. He's a unique individual for a Hero.
He's actually the son of the human Prince Eltrio from Argonia and a Dragovian girl named Xia. He doesn't look very royal, though.
He's also one of the more popular protagonists in the series alongside of Dragon Quest's III's Erdrick a.k.a Loto or Roto.

What can Eight Do?
He can primarily use swords, but he can use boomerangs, spears, magic, and even his bare hands. His friend, Munchie, can also chime in with abilities depending on what cheese Eight gives him. He has many abilities and techniques that are based from the user of weapons, such as Sizzle, Gigagash, Zoom, and many more. He also has the ability to increase and use Tension. Said Tension at the max can deliver much higher damage than usual for the next attack.

Eight is from Square Enix, has he been on Nintendo?
As of right now, Dragon Quest VIII has made it onto the 3DS, making this the only Nintendo appearance he's got. But, one appearance on Nintendo platforms is all it takes for eligible status on this requirement.

Moveset Ideas
For a possible moveset, I can see him using utilizing a concept that hasn't see by some fighters, but it would be only small part of his accurate portrayal.

Character Concept: Dragon Fighter

Gimmick: Enchanted swords

I could imagine specials as a trigger for the rest of the sword attacks until a different "enchantment" or a special takes it away. Zoom/Evac would be too easy of a spell to use for a recovery move. As for what would trigger the enchantment, the idea of using Zap and Flame Slash could be used for that. Those could change the enchantment.

For his Final Smash, I combined two ideas, max Tension and the Dragon Soul attack. I would call this the Dragovian Legacy. A bonus visual to the Final Smash could have Eight's iconic bandanna fly off to reveal spiky hair as a nod to fans Akira Toriyama's simplistic design. Speaking of Akira Toriyama... I'll mention him later

Pro's and Con's
Here's some positives and negatives for the inclusion of Eight

Pro's
  • We get a fighter from Dragon Quest, a very popular franchise.
  • Dragon Quest VIII is one of the popular titles in the franchise.
  • Dragon Quest has crossed over with Mario in Fortune Street.
Con's
  • Square Enix may be difficult to work with, in spite of Cloud's appearance.
  • Has competition in the common enemy Slime, some popular side characters, Bianca of Dragon Quest V and the Hero known as Erdrick.
  • Questionable Demand
Why Eight?
Eight would be a good choice for a Dragon Quest character and some of the game's artwork was done by Akira Toriyama, well known for his Dragon Ball manga franchise and an artwork regular for Dragon Quest games. Dragon Quest has the Nintendo history and has crossed over with Nintendo in Fortune Street. A Dragon Quest character would definitely fit in Smash without too many issues from a design perspective.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Support. I would love there to be a DQ character.
But the problem is there's too many tho 8 would be the one chosen most likely, he's the closest thing to being like Cloud for Final Fantasy. Slime is the mascot but there isn't that much to be done without making stretches.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I support this but is Eight his official name? I thought he was just Hero.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I support this but is Eight his official name? I thought he was just Hero.
It's used for marketing purposes when the game's advertised, it's not the set-in-stone canon, far as I know. It just helps identify him among the other Heroes that don't have a specific name. Erdrick the only Hero (Dragon Quest 3) to have some name attached to them.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But I'm planning on getting Journey of the Cursed King for my 3DS. I support!

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Hell yeah I support!

I thought it’d be cool to have him with Erdrick as an echo.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Just recently started playing DQVIII so I will support as well.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's hoping that if Erdrick gets revealed today, we get some Eight representation in the form of a Koopaling-styled alt or at least a color palette reference.

D

Deleted member

Count me as a supporter too.

That character represents a key part of my childhood as a player.

*Edit from may*
I can imagine Eight ending up as one of Erdrick's alts if the latter does end up being Brave.

As long as Eight is playable, I will accept the alt scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Having a cover of the DQ8 Battle Theme would be great too.

D

Deleted member

With E3 being close, I do still keep hoping for the idea of a dual reveal between Banjo and a DQ rep.

Hopefully, if we get a DQ Hero our beloved Trodain guard will be at last part of the Nintendo All-Stars cast.

I would love to share a lot of Eight fan art I found with the help of NomadLuminary NomadLuminary here too, but sadly the image uploader is currently broken.

Hopefully we get more people interested on DQ8 if Eight gets in even as an alt.

Edit: the image uploader was apparently fixed while I was doing other stuff, so nevermind. But it now only allowed me to post this one picture.
7EE7EE5E-2D4F-432C-848C-35B40E42A7B7.png

Sigh

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
With the Direct coming up very shortly, I'm confident that if Erdrick gets in we'll see some Eight representation in some form. Maybe an alt or a mii costume.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
With the Direct coming up very shortly, I'm confident that if Erdrick gets in we'll see some Eight representation in some form. Maybe an alt or a mii costume.
That's my hope too.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This thread is now a part of the DQ Hero subforum. Nice.

Also here is his official artwork:

1560273004136.png

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Seeing the Luminary show up got me both excited and disappointed at the same time... but seeing Erdrick and Eight show up got me hyped and screaming out loud!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
A very pleasant surprise for the Smash Bros reveal of a Dragon Quest character. Especially considering this guy is the hero of the first Dragon Quest game I ever played.

I'm glad we got a selection of Dragon Quest hero characters.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Well, we've got in with other Dragon Quest heroes. A victory for us.

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Me and the guv are gonna wreck some fools online, cor blimey. Well, assuming I can ever decide between him and Erdrick...

D

Deleted member

I am still shocked in a good way about my boy getting in.

Hopefully Crash is one of the next in line.

D

Deleted member

It may be risky to post now since the last post was mine.

But I can’t stop myself from thinking how glad I am to see life giving me such a wonderful bless as Eight in Smash Bros.
And he may even get an Amiibo, to make things better.

I would love to hug Sakurai right now, since he has actually brought part of the current joy in my life I always wished for.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Cor Blimey! I just noticed I never stopped by!

CONGRATULATIONS! We got our fan favorite EIGHT in the game! This is huge for me, because, like many, I was introduced to DQ through this character!

I'm extremely pleased with his design, and he even brought Munchie! Not to mention his alt is probably my favorite too!

I never thought the day would come when I would see him in HD!

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
I actually went out and bought DQ VII and VIII after playing through DQ IX, but I am saving them for when I complete all the games in order.
I thought DQ IX was such an amazing game that it lead me into researching the history of Enix and the Dragon Quest games. Reading about all the people involved and everything they've accomplished made me respect them greatly. This has lead me to being the big fan I am today.

My plan is to have played through all DQ games up to IX before DQ XI-S: EoaEA releases this Fall. :D

D

Deleted member

I’m still hyped!

I can’t wait to make some Eight vs Samus/Eight+Samus vs the world matches!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hey guys, DQ8 Gained a spike in popularity on the 3DS shop.

Naturally it’s one of the titles worth picking the 3DS back up, because of it being really good and not on Switch.
I love seeing DQ sales rising like foam.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/338145-nintendo-3ds-eshop-na-charts-for-june-19-2019

Almost made it to top10 there.
Very nice!

This makes me happy to know I got DQ8 3DS years ago before it became difficult to get due to sudden increase of demand.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
If I may ask why is it that out of all the DQ protags we got is it only the DQ8 protag we're calling by number? I know that the general fan head canon is that we just call each protag the number of their respective game, but why is it only the DQ8 protag that we're applying this to? This is coming from someone who enjoyed DQ games for years but stayed clear of the actual fandom. Its not like we don't have something else to call him (Guv).

I get the DQ11 protag being Luminary since they beat us over the head with that title and sort of get Erdrick is because of the buildup in DQ 1 & 2 (from what I've heard... never played those)… why Solo? and why leave DQ8 protag out of the fun of having a title besides his game number?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If I may ask why is it that out of all the DQ protags we got is it only the DQ8 protag we're calling by number? I know that the general fan head canon is that we just call each protag the number of their respective game, but why is it only the DQ8 protag that we're applying this to? I've enjoyed DQ games for years but stayed clear of the actual fandom. Its not like we don't have something else to call him (Guv).
Guv could work too, yeah.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
I call him Guv sometimes on DQ8 playthroughs. I think we should just call him Guv.

I was watching some Japanese reactions and they even called the heroes by number, even three. So is that more of an English thing because SE thought calling them numbers would be dumb to English speakers?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I call him Guv sometimes on DQ8 playthroughs. I think we should just call him Guv.

I was watching some Japanese reactions and they even called the heroes by number, even three. So is that more of an English thing because SE thought calling them numbers would be dumb to English speakers?
They call them by their numbers, but in English.
English words sound cool to a lot of them and that includes for names in this case :p

Also, i'm wondering if the japanese versions even had default names.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

TV Tropes does it on the character page, at any rate. In quotation marks, even then.

Though it's still weird, since it's a nickname. It's like if you called a skateboarding character Dude, or something.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
A little fun new information: According to Sakurai's new column, Eight got the stamp of approval to be a Hero skin specifically because of Western demand.

D

Deleted member

A little fun new information: According to Sakurai's new column, Eight got the stamp of approval to be a Hero skin specifically because of Western demand.
I find it cool that Sakurai and the Smash team are trying to bring as much balance between the Western and Japanese market as they can for Ultimate.

Stuff such as adding stuff for the Western fandom of DQ shows an interest about pleasing as many people as possible, which is always welcomed as long as Sakurai and the Smash team are in good conditions.

This interest on a balance for both markets could also make picks such as Crash or Lloyd likely.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
IMO, it now seems pretty obvious why each character of the Hero was chosen:

Eleven: Newest protagonist, good for promoting Dragon Quest XI
Erdrick: Binding figure for the original trilogy, comes from arguably the most popular game in the series
Eight: International popularity
Solo: Most popular Hero of the Zenithan trilogy who was realizable (Madason doesn't work due to staff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom