• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tripping is NOT random

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
i dont know why anyone ever said it was.

It 100% isnt. I've clocked nearly 20 hours of brawl and have tripped ...3 times maybe. TOTAL.

why is this? Its because it isnt random.

IMO, tripping occurs only during an awkward movement. Essentially, when the game notices that both your feet are off the ground. Or in technical jargon, when your character animation has no proper animation to make a fluid animation.

Has anyone else hardly tripped at all?

Steel Kangaroo

Smash Ace
I've noticed that I usually end up tripping when starting a dash dance or a smash attack. This is probably because I tap the stick up or down as well as sideways a bit so it causes me to trip. I definitely agree that it isn't random, because some matches I'll trip like two or three times but the people I play with go 3 matches without tripping. More research should be done about this.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Over >20 hours of PURE SCIENTIFIC TESTING I have determined that DLX HUARGH-cancelling is indeed random. I'd be surprised if self-inflicted trips were any different.

kr3wman

Smash Master
certainly looks random to me...

ok, tripping can be random, but also has stipulations which cause more tripping.
Of course.

Only walking and never using Side-smashes are sure to hurt your game tho.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I like how you proclaim that tripping is "NOT" random, as if you've made some great new discovery, then offer nothing in your thread besides, "Well, it doesn't SEEM random..."

I'm glad you've got your own false theories that conflict entirely with all empirical testing and observation thus far, but please don't flood the forum with threads about them.

Wuss

Smash Champion
there's no way to prove that tripping isn't random except by looking at the coding for the game. You just saying, "well it seems to happen a lot when I do this" means nothing, because random means, well, random. There is no way to prove it isn't random with testing, because even if you do something that always initiates a trip, it's still random. This thread is pointless unless someone can look through the coding and find when it is coded that tripping occurs on certain actions.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
This thread is pointless.
Quoted for posterity. It's just frustrating to come into the tactical discussion forum and see threads like "How do you do a tilt?" "What's a hyphen smash?," this thread, etc. First of all, SEARCH before posting a new thread people. In this case when there already exist 1,001 recent threads about tripping to which you could have added your comments. The horribly misleading thread title doesn't help matters. All this stuff combined... well to put it nicely, it hurts the quality of the entire community because the good threads all get buried.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
I'm not sure whether or not I agree that tripping isn't random. I trip quite a bit each match. I don't know if anyone else has discovered this, but "tripping" is referred to in-game as "prat falling" and is actually kept track of.

According to the data section, I've had 55 prat falls with Diddy in 44 matches...

goodkid

Smash Lord
I don't think its random either. I agree with the awkward movement. When I try to run or try to dashdance I trip so I think it could be something with how you dash.

Razorsaw

Smash Apprentice
I like how you proclaim that tripping is "NOT" random, as if you've made some great new discovery, then offer nothing in your thread besides, "Well, it doesn't SEEM random..."

I'm glad you've got your own false theories that conflict entirely with all empirical testing and observation thus far, but please don't flood the forum with threads about them.
Hey, pay attention to the thread. He admits his mistake. Don't jump on him like he's the great deceiver.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
fr0st2k, are you trolling? What was wrong with all of the extensive testing already done on tripping? You make this outlandish claim that goes against established facts (by Hitaku, among others) and offer up no proof other than, um... "I haven't tripped that often". Also, how is it not random if for you it only happens thrice in several hours when for someone else it might happen much more often in just as much time?

"It happens when both your feet are off the ground" - How the Hell can you be on the ground when both your feet are off the ground?! It happens whenever you move to the side, be it for dashing, walking (not quite sure about this, but it explains ->) and F-tilting. There's been extensive testing done.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Seriously, couldn't you at least titled your post with "Is tripping random?" If you believe something, but have no substantiative proof, you've got nothing more than an opinion.

And seriously, for the last time, heres the proof:

3 marios connected to the save wavebird, which means their inputs are exactly synchronous. After dashing back and forth a few times, it is immediately apparent that tripping is random.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCtH2QTsPw

Sup Dawg

Smash Apprentice
And I used to be such a great dash-dancer... oh well. Just another new minor inconvenience in Brawl. But I'm sure that Brawl will prove to be quite an exciting experience for all of us.

And for those who say that Melee was a better game due to more fast-paced action and crazy advanced moves, well I can neither agree nor disagree. I believe that both Brawl and Melee are great games. They're just... different is all. The fact that Brawl no longer has the advanced techniques that we've grown so accustomed to seeing and using should encourage both old pros and n00bs.

Pros should focus on creating and perfecting new strategies, while rookies should take light from the fact that without the advanced techniques, the enormous gap between the skill levels of old pros and n00bs will begin to close, and as long as you know how to play the game, everyone has a chance of winning, no matter who they're up against.

...this is kinda the wrong place for a post like this, but once I get started, It's hard for me not to express my thoughts on the matter. And I usually have alot on my mind. So sorry. I'll shut up now. No need to worry. I am now taking my hands off the keyboard...

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
I think what the frost was going for is that it looks like there are things you can do that will lower the probablity of tripping. If you're in a situation where tripping is possibly yes, it's random. There isn't a surefire way to trip by yourself moving in a specific way (thankfully).

Someone posted some test results in the advanced tech thread that was done by someone at IGN (probably someone on the forums). I'll see if I can find the link. Basically claims that tripping is a result of pressing over and releasing right away. If you press over (to dash or whatever) and hold it, you won't trip. Also stated that higher damage makes you trip more often, when you can trip. I dunno if it's true, though when I messed around with dashing back and forth with Dedede (his turn animation is amusing) and held the control stick instead of just tapping, I didn't trip.

Link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142139&page=25 It's partway down the page.

It's an interesting theory, if nothing else. Think I'll mess around with dashing/foxtrotting in Training Mode while I test other stuff and see if it matches up or not.

Again, based on that... it's not so much that tripping isn't random... it's that it can only occur in certain circumstances, which some people are saying you can avoid (and thus avoid tripping).

And as a completely useless side note, the game appears to record the number of times you've tripped in records as Prat Falls, unless those are something completely different. My number, compared to how many matches I've done, seems kinda low so it's hard to say. Maybe I do trip less often than I think I do... or I'm somehow getting better at avoiding it, heh.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Well you guys bringing the offensive sh*t talk are in no way better. Thats what trolling is, not what this thread brought. This is ridiculous.

There IS something wrong with tripping. I tripped once in 10 hours of gameplay now whats that. Why my playstyle doesn't make me trip, why other trips more?

Is it SO random that one can be so lucky or unlucky?

Anyway, I'm gone. This thread might not be the best, but the kind of people with extensive post count thinking they can post whatever they want which is clearly trolling, is ridiculously annoying. People here are as frustrating as in the gamespot board.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think what the frost was going for is that it looks like there are things you can do that will lower the probablity of tripping. If you're in a situation where tripping is possibly yes, it's random. There isn't a surefire way to trip by yourself moving in a specific way (thankfully).
No, he wasn't. He clearly said that Tripping is not Random at all based on "I haven't tripped much". Trust me, I know this guy. I've seen him post a lot. It's typical fr0st2k logic.

Someone posted some test results in the advanced tech thread that was done by someone at IGN (probably someone on the forums). I'll see if I can find the link. Basically claims that tripping is a result of pressing over and releasing right away. If you press over (to dash or whatever) and hold it, you won't trip. Also stated that higher damage makes you trip more often, when you can trip. I dunno if it's true, though when I messed around with dashing back and forth with Dedede (his turn animation is amusing) and held the control stick instead of just tapping, I didn't trip.
The crap those IGN morons spouted were partially lies (that or the idiots actually thought what they said was true). Hitaku (here on SWF) did extensive testing. Do not take the IGN moron's for their word, read Hitaku's finding.

For one thing, I've personally tripped several times without letting go of the stick. I've also tripped upon the very first dash of a game.

You can also trip from walking or F-tilting. I know F-tilting is confirmed to trip people. I'm not so sure about walking since I have yet to see someone outright state it, but it'd explain tripping while F-tilt-spamming.

It's an interesting theory, if nothing else. Think I'll mess around with dashing/foxtrotting in Training Mode while I test other stuff and see if it matches up or not.
The theory is wrong. And people need to stop reposting that information, especially when Hitaku himself has told people to stop taking the IGN idiots' words for it.

Again, based on that... it's not so much that tripping isn't random... it's that it can only occur in certain circumstances, which some people are saying you can avoid (and thus avoid tripping).
Tripping can occur whenever you move left or right while grounded. The only way to completely avoid it is to simply never move to the side on the ground.

And as a completely useless side note, the game appears to record the number of times you've tripped in records as Prat Falls, unless those are something completely different. My number, compared to how many matches I've done, seems kinda low so it's hard to say. Maybe I do trip less often than I think I do... or I'm somehow getting better at avoiding it, heh.
In Melee, "Prat Falls" were when you fell on your back. Maybe they changed it.

Well you guys bringing the offensive sh*t talk are in no way better. Thats what trolling is, not what this thread brought. This is ridiculous.
It's because fr0st2k is a quasi-troll. His first, like, 6 posts that I read were all blatant trolling or quasi-trolling. Most of the time, what he says is illogical or downright stupid. Debating against him is also a no-go since he categorically refuses to listen to reason and often resorts to ignoring posts he cannot counter-argue (which happens to be the majority of them in his case). He's also a broken record and keeps repeating the same inane arguments over and over even when said arguments have been destroyed by others (whose counter-arguments he conveniently ignores and then forgets).

And this thread was meaningless since Hitaku's already established how tripping works. Then fr0st2k decides Hitaku's wrong because he just hasn't tripped that much?

There IS something wrong with tripping. I tripped once in 10 hours of gameplay now whats that. Why my playstyle doesn't make me trip, why other trips more?

Is it SO random that one can be so lucky or unlucky?
Whenever you move around on the ground, there is a 1% chance of tripping. This does not mean that you will trip once in every 100 dashes. It means that you probably will. Odds can be beaten, however.

I regularly pull 2 bob-ombs in a row, lots of grand-father turnips each match, Mr. Saturns, Beam-swords galore, etc. Does that mean the odds of Peach pulling said items have been raised? No, it's just me beating the odds.

Some people trip a lot. Others less.

Seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCtH2QTsPw

If it's not random, then how come they don't all trip together?

Anyway, I'm gone. This thread might not be the best, but the kind of people with extensive post count thinking they can post whatever they want which is clearly trolling, is ridiculously annoying. People here are as frustrating as in the gamespot board.
fr0st2k brought it on himself, really, what with his original post in this thread and his posting history.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
That's the Internet for you. *shrug* You get numb to it after a while.

It does seem like tripping can be made more likely based on certain actions which have yet to be exactly discovered, but the overall effect is definitely still random.

I'll watch my play to see why, as Olimar, I trip 3-4 times a match.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I've also tripped on Wolf's F-smash and Ike's side B, I think. I'm not completely sure about it since both have only happened once. If it happens again I'll get a recording of it.

Another note is that there have been a few times where I had some sort of a "pre-trip effect." Like, the game had decided I was going to trip but I had stopped moving, I tried to attack and it wouldn't go through, so when I tried to move I tripped. Anyone else had anything weird like that happen?

Mama

Smash Ace
I don't care how much you played, I've clocked in 50 hours (got the reward for it) and I've tripped a **** load of times. I think it occurs at random times when you're dashing. Its never happened when I tried to do an attack or anything but has happened when I turned around to dash from an idle stance, turned around in mid dash (but never before a reverse B-air so far) and once in a dash dance. And if it wasn't random how would you explain you tripping 3 times and others tripping a lot? Those odds sound pretty random to me.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
(stupid question) has anyone tried playing with just the wii remote? If so, how often have you tripped?

I played a match with the wii-mote yesterday and realized that it forces you to walk before you can begin a dash. Maybe tripping was implemented to even matches between wii-mote users and those that use other control schemes, and whenever you enter a dash from anything other than the walking animation, you have a random chance of tripping.

It's just another theory, but I'll try it out later.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Tripping is completely random. Hitaku tested it in a controlled environment, and that was the result. You're just lucky, I guess.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
why dont i ever trip. like ever. i dash a lot and back jump too. lpayed like 7 hours on the weekend and diindt trip T_T . my friend falco only trips like 2 times in our 6 matches. its soo werid. why would they add a randomizer like that

okiyama

Smash Ace
I'm just curious what's scientific about this at all.
You just kinda said this you have no proof, you didn't keep track of it, it's already been almost definitively proven to be random etc...

Top Bottom