• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Triforce of Courage: Princess Zelda's Q&A/Support Thread

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
If you cancel Farore's Wind by pressing B while she is invisible it will end the teleport with no hit box, though she can act at the end of that animation. If you do a teleprt (usually when standing still or at max distance) and you don't cancel the animation it will have an ending hitbox.
Can she act out of teleport even if she doesn't press B like maximum distance?

4tlas

Smash Lord
Can she act out of teleport even if she doesn't press B like maximum distance?
I'm not sure I understand the question, so I'll just give all the info I have.

If you do not press B a second time, she will teleport for the maximum distance or until she hits a wall/floor/ceiling, and reappears with a 4% hitbox. If you teleport from anywhere above the ledge at any angle down towards the ledge and let go of the control stick before you would pass the ledge, she will auto-sweetspot.

If you press B a second time, she will reappear with no hitbox at whatever position she was in mid-teleport. If this is on the ground, she has very little endlag and can act nearly immediately. If the teleport also started on the ground, the endlag is even less. This technique can be used to sweetspot the ledge from beneath it.

Note that Zelda does travel with a certain speed. This means that shorter distance teleports are quicker and longer distance teleports are slower. This also means that someone can "read" how far you are teleporting by noting how long you've been missing for.

Note that the distance Zelda travels can be shortened by purposely hitting a wall/ceiling/floor. This does not change the timing of her reappearance from the maximum timing. This means you may want to press B again to reappear immediately, or don't to dodge attacks or screw up the timing read I mentioned above. This also means you can make your reappearance hitbox appear at many locations that aren't maximum distance, which may surprise people.

Note that Zelda does not exist during the teleport. This means that she can dodge attacks and her own Dins Fire.

Note that, like all of her specials, using Teleport out of hitstun can cause you to bounce in weird directions. You can use this to escape combos and immediately reset to neutral (or reappear with a hitbox on them to flip momentum).

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
I mean like if she lags out of a full teleport

Thanks for the info man, appreciate it :)

4tlas

Smash Lord
I mean like if she lags out of a full teleport

Thanks for the info man, appreciate it :)
I'm still confused. Yes, you can press B a second time even at max distance. No you cannot act immediately out of a full teleport. Shortening in the air still leaves you in special fall. Do any of these help?

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
I'm still confused. Yes, you can press B a second time even at max distance. No you cannot act immediately out of a full teleport. Shortening in the air still leaves you in special fall. Do any of these help?
Yep, thanks man. Sorry for confusing you

4tlas

Smash Lord
Oh, another thing to note about teleport is that the camera does follow Zelda during the teleport. This allows an opponent to read where you are going based on the camera's movement. This is a reason why I love that the camera tracks Dins, because otherwise this read is SUPER easy.

Randomman14

Smash Cadet
so im a fairly new zelda main. i know the basics of how to play her fairly well but still have some troubles with one MU in particular, which is the falco MU. so whats the basic strategy for taking one on?

4tlas

Smash Lord
so im a fairly new zelda main. i know the basics of how to play her fairly well but still have some troubles with one MU in particular, which is the falco MU. so whats the basic strategy for taking one on?
This matchup is very winnable, but I find it the least fun matchup in the whole game (as any character, I hate fighting Falco). There are essentially 2 main strategies I find Falco players use:

1) Sit back and laser until you approach. Your options here are to reflect lasers while approaching with land-cancelled Nayrus, run and shield repeatedly, or jump around his lasers and harass with Dins until he stops.

2) Laser while jumping in on you. When Falcos do this I like to get hit by the lasers and then calmly Nayrus them out of their approach, then stagger the punish.

Once you show you can defeat both of these, they may finally stop using lasers. Now you're playing like any other matchup except if you touch him he dies. Proceed to victory.

Last edited:

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
With what in particular are you having issues? Is it lasers? Pressure? Dropping punishes?

Falco's lasers pretty much auto-win him the neutral, so you'll need to make up for that with punishes and edgeguards. Fortunately, lasers are manageable in the ways that 4tlas described, and Zelda has a brutal punish game on spacies. Aim to take a stock every time you touch Falco. Uthrow can be used for chaingrabs on flat stages. If the stage has platforms, you can waveland onto the platform after a Uthrow and techchase, allowing you to go for more Uthrows. Usmash is good at mid percents to extend combos (I'd avoid it at super low percents since Falco can CC it or ASDI down out of it and shine you. After Uthrow and Usmash stop working, hit him with a Nair, Uair, or Kick, or Bthrow or Fthrow him. Try to juggle him or get him offstage. Once he's offstage, you can proceed to edgeguard him. Keep in mind that Falco's up-B will go through Dins (you can combat this with well-timed detonations), but his side-B will not. Try to make him recover low so you can reduce his options to just up-B, then cover that.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Land-cancelled Nayru's is invaluable (seen here if you aren't familiar with it). You can use it in place, approaching, or retreating. It is far and away your best way to deal with lasers. You can also chaingrab him with up-throw, and when you can't chaingrab anymore, you can up-smash him repeatedly. That'll be your big combo, so be sure to practice that one.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
the falco MU. so whats the basic strategy for taking one on?
This matchup = have M2K punishes and keep your composure under laser and shine pressure. I play regularly with the best Falco in my region (Jizzard) and only win a third of the time. It is rough. At full screen you can either power shield>Farore's Wind OoS or use LCNL to mitigate lasers but you will always need to mix it up. They can always adjust their laser height or start throwing out nairs and dairs to beat teleport so you have to constantly be cycling through laser counter measures.

In neutral Falco will almost always have the advantage, even if you have a Din's Fire out. If you are trying to set a Din and get lasered you will no longer be locked in the placement animation, use this to your advantage by getting max sized Din's Fire traps for free at full screen. The hardest part about Din's in this match up is getting it to return to you. Falco's lasers will de-sync the Din from you and he'll just combo the crap out of you if you try refreshing it. Sometimes you have to give up on a placement and start over.

Beware big stages. Dreamland and Delfino's Secret have lots of advantages for Zelda but you will get platform camped to death by Falco if you give him to much space. Get in his face, make him feel uncomfortable. Take platforms away from him with Din's and Farore while punishing his every mistake with CC down smash and lightning kicks. Having a stellar punish game is a necessity against the spacies.

On shield pressure, MIX IT UP. You will not always get shield grabs, or up smash OoS, or Farore's Wind OoS. Practice wave dashing OoS, shield dropping, and shield DI. Practice against a lvl 9 Fox/Falco and just spend the whole match shielding and practicing OoS options while in shield stun. When Falco is spamming tech skill on your shield you need to know what and when your options are.

Here's a recent set between Ben and I. It ends in spaghetti but showcases Zelda's comeback potential and the importance of every punish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcpN0z3P-o&ab_channel=CACAWGaming

Top Bottom