• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trials of Mana Spirit Event Announced

525F74EA-1B4B-4AF4-B1AA-AD7E6A2D3842.jpeg

A new Spirit Event based on the classic RPG series known as the Trials of Mana is set to start from April 24th and will last for five days. The original Mana game or also called Final Fantasy Adventure, was released in 1991. The Secret of Mana which many western gamers might know of was released on the SNES in 1993. The Trials of Mana is released in 1995 for the SNES and a remake is slated for April 24, 2020. The Mana series is a beloved franchise spanning decades and considered a classic RPG series.

Each Spirit appears to be a paring of two major characters. Those being Angela and Duran (front and center), Kevin and Charlotte (to the right), and Riesz and Hawkeye (to the left). These are the main party members in Trials of Mana who seek to awaken the Mana Tree and save the world from evil forces. The original game is considered a SNES classic which helped get the series remade in HD.

The Japanese Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Twitter also provided some information on Spirits and Spirit Battles.

Name: Duran and Angela
Category: Support
Class: Ace
Skill: Critical-Health Stats ↑ ↑

1D751E8D-5B49-44A9-B121-CDA6D769884D.jpeg

Their Spirit Battle is against a Green Roy, Zelda, and two Yellow Kirbys on Guar Plains with the item, Ramblin’ Evil Mushroom appearing frequently. This is also a timed battle.

The second Spirit reveal is Kevin and Charlotte

Name: Kevin and Charlotte
Skill: KOs Heal Damage

F7773835-A134-4C1E-813D-25006E1851A1.jpeg

The Spirit Battle is against an Orange Incineroar and Orange female Robin on Hyrule Castle. Attack power increases periodically and health is restored when at high damage. This is also a timed battle.

The last Spirit and Spirit Battle is Riesz and Hawkeye.

Name: Hawkeye and Riesz
Skill: Easier Dodging

27CA39D7-8310-4958-B4D0-85C39BC2C8A6.jpeg

This Spirit Battle is against a Red Sheik and a Mii Swordfighter though it’s unknown what kind of costume will appear. It’s a timed battle on Great Bay where earthquakes are frequent. It also appears that the opponent may use Special Moves should they fall down a lot but I’m not sure what this actually means. Perhaps you can make sense if it so please comment below!

This is the third franchise being repped by Square-Enix (not counting Mallow and Geno) and the first one, if I recall, to feature Spiruts if a yet yo be released game! The remake of Trials of Mans comes to the Switch on April 24th so after unlocking these Spirits; make sure to pick up the game yo get a better feel if the characters!

Author’s Note: I’m psyched to see the Mana series represented. I used to play Secret of Mana back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. I never played Trials but it’s exciting to see this nonetheless! How do you feel? TLet us know below!

Talking of dinosaurs, I’d like to see a Joe and Mac Spirit Event...

Last edited:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

Woah, that's really cool. Finally a spirit event i can be hyped about (The Cuphead event was really good actually).
I know that probably means we won't be getting a Trials of mana character as DLC but it's still much more that i've ever hoped for.

Last edited:
Nice to see Square is starting to open up a bit. Maybe we’ll get a TWEWY Spirit Event if Sakurai can’t use Neku as a playable character?

♪♪What does this mean?! What does this mean?!! What does this mean for Geno?! What does this mean?! What does this mean?!! What does this mean for Sora?! Is it happening, is it not! Are we getting another Square-Enix character very soon too come?!!♪♪

D
Square Enix gave us a spirit Event For Trails of Mana hopefully next.

Geno or Sora in Smash!

Honestly whether it be Geno, Sora, Crono, 2B, or Sephiroth I would be satisfied with the outcome. Square-Enix has high quality characters on their roster that wouldn't disappoint either way.

it's neat to see Square collaborate further with Smash after Hero at least, here's hoping CT gets some sort of representation in Smash before support for the game ends.

Sora is still in the race but isn't seen as likely as someone like Geno because of Disney being the power hungry control freaks that they're.

Last edited:
Square Enix is not that evil stingy company everyone seems to think. It's just most of their franchises are involved into a legal copyright hell.
Kingdom Hearts has Disney. Final Fantasy has its artwork, design, music whatever distributed between the authors and Dragon Quest has like 4 companies owning designs, music, code, distribution... I can't believe we actually got :ulthero:, and even less the ones from DQIII, IV and VIII in the same game.

Speaking of Square. Oh boy, I hope we get Bravely Default Mii costumes, I just want one costume bundled with "That Person's Name Is".

Last edited:
One thing that doesn't help is that Uematsu had been on a sabbatical for a while, so any additional Final Fantasy music can't be used without his consent. As for Nomura, he has his hands full. The ONLY person in the company who is in position to do anything is Shimomura, but any SMRPG content inclusion still needs to be approved by Square.

As for DQ, its sole composer is hard to cooperate with outside of the series in general.

Last edited:
Square Enix is not that evil stingy company everyone seems to think. It's just most of their franchises are involved into a legal copyright hell.
Kingdom Hearts has Disney. Final Fantasy has its artwork, design, music whatever distributed between the authors and Dragon Quest has like 4 companies owning designs, music, code, distribution... I can't believe we actually got :ulthero:, and even less the ones from DQIII, IV and VIII in the same game.

Speaking of Square. Oh boy, I hope we get Bravely Default Mii costumes, I just want one costume bundled with "That Person's Name Is".
Or Ringabel's costume with his theme.

Nice! Trials of mana has beautiful artwork it's so cool to see its characters in Smash, now since it's a Square Enix IP can we see Bravely Default spirits in the future? how about Tiz, Edea and Magnolia? well they'll probably choose characters from the upcoming game, i would be ok with that.

if there's a song from Bravely Default that deserves to be in Smash aside from That Person's Name Is, is the Ba'al Battle Theme, that's one of the best RPG battle theme i've ever heard.

Last edited:
D
♪♪What does this mean?! What does this mean?!! What does this mean for Geno?! What does this mean?! What does this mean?!! What does this mean for Sora?! Is it happening, is it not! Are we getting another Square-Enix character very soon too come?!!♪♪
Don't count your chickens untik they hatch

Let's not do that here, please.

At any rate, Mana being out of consideration doesn't really affect much of anything in terms of SE series/content chances in the pass, given that this series wasn't very highly demanded for Smash in the first place. Like removing a grain of sand from a beach.

Let's not do that here, please.

At any rate, Mana being out of consideration doesn't really affect much of anything in terms of SE series/content chances in the pass, given that this series wasn't very highly demanded for Smash in the first place. Like removing a grain of sand from a beach.
>implying 'demand for smash' is a factor after Byleth and the ARMS rep

>implying 'demand for smash' is a factor after Byleth and the ARMS rep
Some of them are demanded, some of them aren't (as much, very few literally had no demand).

At any rate, the Mana characters still got skipped over anyway, so in this case it's a moot point. We have no idea what character Square would allow for DLC this time, and this barely helped to narrow it down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom