• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transition from SSB4 to Ultimate?

maku32

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkninja4
3DS FC
3540-1054-5426
Switch FC
SW 4245 3474 8514
I mained Sheik in Smash 4, and I’m trying to play her in Ultimate now. Most of my combos are linking reasonably well, there’s just something...off. Most likely it’s just bc of slightly different physics in Ultimate, but does anyone have specific advice for someone transitioning into Ultimate?

Conet

Smash Cadet
She seems really similar to me. Idk wtf people are talking about that she “feels” awful.

As for advice, I reccomend adding some dash stop —> f tilt or up tilt to catch jumps in neutral now. Because grab no longer is as a potent combo starter (this nerf seems universal to all characters), taking advantage of her tilts is going to be vital.

BAir and upair seem to be buffed. I could reliablely kill with BAir and upair felt better. Fair definitely had a hit box change, but it still links very well with itself and all the other combo starters.

Standing grab was nerfed, so linking fair into grab is harder at lower percents. I think this can be remedied with using a tilt or two then grab or just dash grabbing at a bit higher percents.

Over alll sheik feels good. Is she high in the tier list? Who knows yet, but I have a good feeling about her. I think the many who are saying she sucks are really jumping the gun on this one.

Last edited:

BBNathan

Smash Rookie
She seems really similar to me. Idk wtf people are talking about that she “feels” awful.

As for advice, I reccomend adding some dash stop —> f tilt or up tilt to catch jumps in neutral now. Because grab no longer is as a potent combo starter (this nerf seems universal to all characters), taking advantage of her tilts is going to be vital.

BAir and upair seem to be buffed. I could reliablely kill with BAir and upair felt better. Fair definitely had a hit box change, but it still links very well with itself and all the other combo starters.

Standing grab was nerfed, so linking fair into grab is harder at lower percents. I think this can be remedied with using a tilt or two then grab or just dash grabbing at a bit higher percents.

Over alll sheik feels good. Is she high in the tier list? Who knows yet, but I have a good feeling about her. I think the many who are saying she sucks are really jumping the gun on this one.
Yeah I agree, overall she feels really similar to Smash 4.

Bair definitely seems a tad bit stronger. You can still fair-plane characters. On heavy characters it's really easy; nothing new there. Nair feels same except for maybe the sourspot hitbox being out for fewer frames?

Aerial needles feel like they're going at different angle. Is it just me?

U tilt seems like a stronger option in the neutral game for sure.

So far, my overall experience with her is super reminiscent of Smash 4. It's pretty easy to keep enemies off the ground or back them into a corner, but it's still incredibly hard to kill with her.

Conet

Smash Cadet
Yeah I agree, overall she feels really similar to Smash 4.

Bair definitely seems a tad bit stronger. You can still fair-plane characters. On heavy characters it's really easy; nothing new there. Nair feels same except for maybe the sourspot hitbox being out for fewer frames?

Aerial needles feel like they're going at different angle. Is it just me?

U tilt seems like a stronger option in the neutral game for sure.

So far, my overall experience with her is super reminiscent of Smash 4. It's pretty easy to keep enemies off the ground or back them into a corner, but it's still incredibly hard to kill with her.
Needles are both better and worse due to the new angle. In general, you can be much farther away and still hit needles aerial. However, I’ve found follow ups off of full hop needles to be quite lackluster until high percents when I was able to get upair or bouncing fish. I think that shorthop needles are going to be useful when we find applications.

Θνεrτιmε

Smash Rookie
Sheik feels same same but different. It could just be me being off but my aerial needles seem like they are going at a different angle. She plays with more weight to her as well but I think that’s just the game in general.

LightLV

Smash Ace
It's Sheik without the ridiculous hitboxes she had on the last game.

But now she has even less landing lag and she's even faster so....yeah go wild

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
Sheik in ultimate relies on her entire kit now, not just f-air and f-tilt. Her combo game is actually incredibly good, just more free flowing than smash 4. Try surprising your opponents when doing a F-air string by throwing in a nair to cause a tech situation. It's very hard to react to and it's really easy to lock them if they miss.

Top Bottom