• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcending Barriers: Transgender Women in Smash

The Smash community has long been known as a 'community for everyone', and it shows through our actions. We have built our community around a love of Nintendo, the Smash series, and each other. As Prog so eloquently put it: "It doesn't matter if you're disabled, your race, gender expression, or your sexual orientation. It matters more what game you play and what character you're playing." We have seen transgender women like Maria "Remilia" Creveling and Ricki Sophie Ortiz have success within the professional gaming community, and the same can be said for the Smash community.

Within Smash there are several high profile Smash players like CT | Nyani and Aether | Xaltis who regularly attend and even commentate at events. Community projects like Smash Sisters, special side events hosted at tournaments for female players, have trans-women competing regardless of their current status within transition. "I'd say [Smash] is a safe haven from problems at home," Cosmic Witch, a trans Smasher, told us. "Everyone is supportive and very nice." Xaltis, who attended the first Smash Sisters event, also had a glowing review: "Smash Sisters has done wonders for me, the all girls event allowing me to participate even though I am trans made me feel great about myself."

The First #SmashSisters Event Had Crew Battles At Genesis 3

While the Smash Sisters event was heavily praised, Nyani mentioned that some trans-women who had not yet transitioned were worried about if they belonged at the event: "The heartbreaking part for me was seeing that there were certainly a few pre-transition individuals who expressed not feeling like they belonged. Though i felt that it came more from a personal place of shyness rather than them feeling the environment didn't welcome them." However, she was firm in saying, "Smash Sisters is for ALL the sisters."

Some have expressed concern with the potential for trolls or those trying to 'make a statement' to potentially bring down the event as well due to its acceptance of pre-transitioned competitors. "Why shouldn't, say, notorious troll Angel Cortes don a dress and claim to be trans for a day just to try and snipe some prize money?" Nyani wondered. "The idea here is that we don't really define being of the female gender by looks or anything and gender identity is something that only you can know for sure about yourself. There's no solid grounds to refute them doing so, and challenging someone on it gets into the sketchy territory of aggressively gendering someone."

Despite this, she felt confident such a thing would likely not happen, or if it did, it wouldn't be very impactful. "I think the big thing is that so far, there has been no actual prize money involved in Smash Sisters events. So really, aside from just trying to 'make some kind of statement', there's not much reason for anyone to try to do that. Even if they did, wouldn't it more so just make the statement that Smashers are just super accepting of everyone? Overall the most important thing is that it seems the events are being respected, and if it's an attitude of respect we're seeing then efforts to undermine these events from within the community should be pretty uncommon."

Xaltis With A Luma In Tow

Even outside of events catering to women, many trans Smashers have found attending live events to be a very positive experience after transitioning. "The majority of the smash community seems to treat me as if nothing has changed," Snakeee, another transgender Smasher, told us. "I definitely prefer that over people being negative about it, but really I appreciate the ones that notice my changes in a positive light, and even pay me compliments."

Xaltis recalled her first time coming out to the community at a major event: "My first event I came out to the community was EVO 2015. Only my South Florida scene knew about me at that time. But most of the Smash community at EVO was accepting of it."

As sad as it is, even within our accepting community there are still dangers for these women at events. "Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains. Everyone should be able to waltz in worry free, pal around with the other players, and smash some bros." Nyani said. "However, I understand that this is not the world we live in."

Xaltis discussed on how the community still has issues despite its generally positive nature: "Not every player has been supportive of this, some have even said negative things about it. Stream chats continue to remain negative about it, but I think over time they will get better."

Nyani herself was personally outed as trans during some serious issues involving Alex Strife, a once prominent tournament organizer for the Apex tournament series. Other trans-women receive harassment at events as well. "For events there is the stream chat and maybe a few people who will give you weird looks," Xaltis explained. "This also goes to when you get food at places near the event." Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

With these risks in mind, Nyani had ideas on how events could be made a better place for trans-women to attend: "I think the biggest thing is probably something that carries over from society in general, and that's respecting the identities of trans people based not so much on what you see, but on who they feel they are. Or more simply, don't judge non-passing trans individuals, especially behind their backs. A lot of us are coming from different points in transition, some further along than others. So, some people may be eager to use pronouns that fit their desired gender, while some may be shy to start doing so until they feel they're 'passing'. Same goes with names, and clothing."

A unique issue with players transitioning in the community is the alias they use while gaming. "A lot of long-time members of the community have been finding the confidence to transition in recent years," Nyani told us. "A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected. In Smash, a tag is basically your name within the scene. As such, a lot of trans individuals, myself included, will associate an old tag with their old self, and very much prefer not to be called by it. I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."

Nyani Competing With Her Signature Mii Swordfighter

Both Nyani and Xaltis had words of encouragement for those within the community who are transgender. "Believe in yourself," Nyani said. "If you feel your identity doesn't match your gender role, physical presentation, or what have you, don't get caught up wondering if that makes you weird, defective, or if it's just silly. You are who you are, and nobody knows that better than you. A lot of people are going to have a lot of things to say about it, but at the end of the day, what's the MOST important, is what YOU think about you. Learn to value your view of yourself above all others, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll be invincible."

Xaltis had this to say: "I always wish I would have come out and started everything when I was younger. But MAKE SURE your families would be okay with it; in some cases families are not always supportive of the transgender lives and make it hard on their kids.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, whether you're a trans girl or a trans boy. Everyone should be welcomed in the Smash community. Just have fun and play the game while hanging out with your buddies. There's many people who are accepting of transgender people, so don't be discouraged if you come across a couple who aren't accepting or supportive of you."

---​

Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.

Comments

D
You claim it's not going to help, .
Not even one ****ing sentence in, and you're already mis-quoting me for about the third time (but again, I'm the inconsiderate one). I said it won't fix EVERYTHING. If you think it will, you're lying to yourself.
The issue with this comes when I see people ignore other issues because this is here, not because the event is useless.

"We did this, some people liked it, take the day off."

Also, perhaps people don't enjoy Devil's advocate because, despite it being put in a "nicer" way, it's still the same schlock we've been responding to for years
"It's similar to the mentality to an argument we've heard before, just infract him"

That'll help.

Honestly, first thing I did when I got home was talk to my brother for a good half an hour about this kind of stuff. I'm seriously just disappointing that people who have a cause I agree with are willing to stoop to insults or ignorance just because they have the strength that comes with numbers. Maybe next time someone decides to substitute insults, dismissiveness, condescendence, or the fact that people agree with them for a real discussion, good cause or not, you guys will take note of how it feels...

I expected better, I really did... Call me wrong, I don't give a **** anymore. You win.

I expected better, I really did... Call me wrong, I don't give a **** anymore. You win.
Seriously, someone will just come along, call me an asshole, and people will agree. I'm not going to bother arguing with people that should be considerate enough to see how the other side of a topic thinks.

If you have something important to say, and you actually feel like speaking to me as a human being, you can leave a PM. I'm done with the bickering over points I've already brought up and gone over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, someone will just come along, call me an *******, and people will agree. I'm not going to bother arguing with people that should be considerate enough to see how the other side of a topic thinks.

If you have something important to say, and you actually feel like speaking to me as a human being, you can leave a PM. I'm done with the bickering over points I've already brought up and gone over.
Stop spamming, seriously there's an edit button.

Why don't the people who write articles like this actually follow up on them? I just stumbled on this, and it's good - but the most popular responses on the first page are ones that are very against it. Community leaders and writers need to follow up and respond to these people. You've effectively got no one on board if you don't.

Why is this here? Can we just not have political propaganda and a political agenda on our boards and just play Smash competitively? We don't care about all those personal details about you there is one thing we honestly care about: Are you good? That's the only thing we as a community to care about. We want to grow in strength as a community and as individuals. ****ing normies

Attachments

Before I start: As of this year the official term was changed from eSports to Esports. Just felt like pointing that out.

Also this: Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains.
Not gonna lie,
this got a kick out of me.

Now for the sake of time, Im not going to be addressing the idea of Smash Sisters / separate womens only events- I personally don't care for the idea, but if it increases the # of female smashers (in CO-ED) a couple years down the road, then I'm not complaining.That being said:

"A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected.
I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."
This I disagree with TBH, it is a reminder, yes- But a tag in general should be respected (not just in the case of trans), and you cannot blame somebody for being curious. It should be a simple 'yeah, but my new tag is ___, so please call me that'
or something. If somebody accidentally calling you by a previous tag name because thats what they are used to is too much for you to handle... Then that is most definitely on you IMO.

On like a more general note, I honestly don't think this should be necessary. Like, I just really don't care- Are we here to play Smash or are we here to bother over whether somebody wants to be called a boy or a girl?

Considering there's seperate groups of tournaments based on gender in the sports world...
For sports where Gender PLAYS A PART in your ability to perform, I.E. Lifting where muscle mass is a big deal. Different divisions are meant to keep competitive integrity and allow women to compete, in the case of smash- Muscle mass isn't an issue, men don't have an inherent advantage so there isn't any reason to have a separate division on the count of competitive integrity.

Wanting to be treated equally = feminism = bad?

There is a huge gap between normal feminism and radical feminism.

Everyone should want equal rights unless they are a bigoted ****** that only wants themselves to have rights.
I have a question- Assuming a female is able to access smashboards, they likely-
1. Have access to internet
2. Have a decent computer / phone
3. Spend a reasonable amount of time on either, and likely also have a game console, PC, etc. to play Smash
4. Slightly less likely but still very probably, have the money required to attend tournaments
Assuming you / another female smasher in this discussion lives in America, what right exactly is there that men have but you don't?
That and feminism has a hugely negative stigma, just saying.

I'm a social justice black mage, does this affect my rolls/damage output??
Depends, whats your intellect modifier?

Wow. I knew the comments would be full of laughs.

What I found most hilarious were those who tried to write the whole thing off with ridiculous notions that "gender doesn't matter; you're a smasher." This is a toxic mentality that is cancerous within the gaming community that thinks people who try to highlight their differences such as being a women, gay, trans, or what have you as being attention seeking. That's completely ridiculous and should be removed from the community. If certain groups of people who may feel marginalized wants to make a tournament that focuses on them and their issues; I feel we as a community should do everything to show our support instead of fighting against it. For some, gender/orientation matters greatly and we shouldn't write it off and dismiss is so casually as a community. Issues like those should be brought to the forefront and accommodated in order to make the community safe for all walks of life. Not just heterosexual white men with neckbeards.
Um... No thats completely missing the point. For example, racism and sexism are capable of existing only if people pay attention to / care about them, yes?
If a person goes to a tournament and nobody judges them based on their sex/race/gender, etc. Then by default, they are 'accepted by the community' and it isn't a big deal. The argument is quite literally stating 'gender doesn't change the fact that you play smash, no? and thats a common interest- Lets focus on that instead'- This is an accepting viewpoint, not a wedge. People need to stop acting like you need to 'respect' something you don't care about. If you want me to call you a girl, Ill call you a girl. If I 'misgender' you, Ill apologize- But I really dont care. Im not going to tournaments to see who's come out as trans or the % of girls, Im going to a tournament to live, breathe, and play smash.

The funny thing is this entire thread has focused on the Smash Sisters events when in all reality this in no way was the focus on the article. The focus was supposed to be on the experiences of transgender women in our community ._.;
Yeah, I actually agree with this. Kinda ironic though- Shows people care about the possible segregation but don't care as much about if people want to be called a boy or a girl. Almost as if they are being accepting of it....

You are arguing that gender or orientation shouldn't matter in Smash and social issues don't belong there. What matters is skill and respect is given to those with skill. Those unable to feel safe within this community shouldn't be involved.

I understand what you are saying and agree that skill matters. However, social issues are becoming ingrained with everything we do and is a driving force for what people do. Having someone who is transgender come into the community only to feel ostracized by community through inappropriate comments, interactions, and situations obviously does not feel welcomed and unsafe. They do not return and the community doesn't progress forward and becomes stagnant.

Yes, gamers are gamers and race, gender, sex, orientation, and whatever else shouldn't matter. But it does to some people and, as a community, I think we should be accepting and supportive of that. I'm proud to see the Smash community to be more welcoming than most (FPS are the worse at this pbviously). But, unfortunately, we still get **** and sandwich jokes...
Personally, I think the way this should be handled is uniform- If somebody is harassing somebody else on account of race, sex, gender, etc. then generally thats reason for disciplinary action via TO's / the community. This shouldn't be a big issue, like it really shouldn't.

Top Bottom