• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcending Barriers: Transgender Women in Smash

The Smash community has long been known as a 'community for everyone', and it shows through our actions. We have built our community around a love of Nintendo, the Smash series, and each other. As Prog so eloquently put it: "It doesn't matter if you're disabled, your race, gender expression, or your sexual orientation. It matters more what game you play and what character you're playing." We have seen transgender women like Maria "Remilia" Creveling and Ricki Sophie Ortiz have success within the professional gaming community, and the same can be said for the Smash community.

Within Smash there are several high profile Smash players like CT | Nyani and Aether | Xaltis who regularly attend and even commentate at events. Community projects like Smash Sisters, special side events hosted at tournaments for female players, have trans-women competing regardless of their current status within transition. "I'd say [Smash] is a safe haven from problems at home," Cosmic Witch, a trans Smasher, told us. "Everyone is supportive and very nice." Xaltis, who attended the first Smash Sisters event, also had a glowing review: "Smash Sisters has done wonders for me, the all girls event allowing me to participate even though I am trans made me feel great about myself."

The First #SmashSisters Event Had Crew Battles At Genesis 3

While the Smash Sisters event was heavily praised, Nyani mentioned that some trans-women who had not yet transitioned were worried about if they belonged at the event: "The heartbreaking part for me was seeing that there were certainly a few pre-transition individuals who expressed not feeling like they belonged. Though i felt that it came more from a personal place of shyness rather than them feeling the environment didn't welcome them." However, she was firm in saying, "Smash Sisters is for ALL the sisters."

Some have expressed concern with the potential for trolls or those trying to 'make a statement' to potentially bring down the event as well due to its acceptance of pre-transitioned competitors. "Why shouldn't, say, notorious troll Angel Cortes don a dress and claim to be trans for a day just to try and snipe some prize money?" Nyani wondered. "The idea here is that we don't really define being of the female gender by looks or anything and gender identity is something that only you can know for sure about yourself. There's no solid grounds to refute them doing so, and challenging someone on it gets into the sketchy territory of aggressively gendering someone."

Despite this, she felt confident such a thing would likely not happen, or if it did, it wouldn't be very impactful. "I think the big thing is that so far, there has been no actual prize money involved in Smash Sisters events. So really, aside from just trying to 'make some kind of statement', there's not much reason for anyone to try to do that. Even if they did, wouldn't it more so just make the statement that Smashers are just super accepting of everyone? Overall the most important thing is that it seems the events are being respected, and if it's an attitude of respect we're seeing then efforts to undermine these events from within the community should be pretty uncommon."

Xaltis With A Luma In Tow

Even outside of events catering to women, many trans Smashers have found attending live events to be a very positive experience after transitioning. "The majority of the smash community seems to treat me as if nothing has changed," Snakeee, another transgender Smasher, told us. "I definitely prefer that over people being negative about it, but really I appreciate the ones that notice my changes in a positive light, and even pay me compliments."

Xaltis recalled her first time coming out to the community at a major event: "My first event I came out to the community was EVO 2015. Only my South Florida scene knew about me at that time. But most of the Smash community at EVO was accepting of it."

As sad as it is, even within our accepting community there are still dangers for these women at events. "Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains. Everyone should be able to waltz in worry free, pal around with the other players, and smash some bros." Nyani said. "However, I understand that this is not the world we live in."

Xaltis discussed on how the community still has issues despite its generally positive nature: "Not every player has been supportive of this, some have even said negative things about it. Stream chats continue to remain negative about it, but I think over time they will get better."

Nyani herself was personally outed as trans during some serious issues involving Alex Strife, a once prominent tournament organizer for the Apex tournament series. Other trans-women receive harassment at events as well. "For events there is the stream chat and maybe a few people who will give you weird looks," Xaltis explained. "This also goes to when you get food at places near the event." Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

With these risks in mind, Nyani had ideas on how events could be made a better place for trans-women to attend: "I think the biggest thing is probably something that carries over from society in general, and that's respecting the identities of trans people based not so much on what you see, but on who they feel they are. Or more simply, don't judge non-passing trans individuals, especially behind their backs. A lot of us are coming from different points in transition, some further along than others. So, some people may be eager to use pronouns that fit their desired gender, while some may be shy to start doing so until they feel they're 'passing'. Same goes with names, and clothing."

A unique issue with players transitioning in the community is the alias they use while gaming. "A lot of long-time members of the community have been finding the confidence to transition in recent years," Nyani told us. "A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected. In Smash, a tag is basically your name within the scene. As such, a lot of trans individuals, myself included, will associate an old tag with their old self, and very much prefer not to be called by it. I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."

Nyani Competing With Her Signature Mii Swordfighter

Both Nyani and Xaltis had words of encouragement for those within the community who are transgender. "Believe in yourself," Nyani said. "If you feel your identity doesn't match your gender role, physical presentation, or what have you, don't get caught up wondering if that makes you weird, defective, or if it's just silly. You are who you are, and nobody knows that better than you. A lot of people are going to have a lot of things to say about it, but at the end of the day, what's the MOST important, is what YOU think about you. Learn to value your view of yourself above all others, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll be invincible."

Xaltis had this to say: "I always wish I would have come out and started everything when I was younger. But MAKE SURE your families would be okay with it; in some cases families are not always supportive of the transgender lives and make it hard on their kids.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, whether you're a trans girl or a trans boy. Everyone should be welcomed in the Smash community. Just have fun and play the game while hanging out with your buddies. There's many people who are accepting of transgender people, so don't be discouraged if you come across a couple who aren't accepting or supportive of you."

---​

Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.

Comments

I can not say much except that it is great that more trans genders are playing Smash and would likely encourage a lot more to start playing Smash as well IMO.

Great to see people with dissenting opinions being warned/infracted!

You shamelessly and disgustingly insert politics into Smash and then when people have a dissenting opinion the mods encourage silencing them.

Typical Liberal MO.
I am 100% happy to actually have dissenting opinions. There's no issues there, but unfortunately there are also forum rules that have to be followed and respected. If people break the rules be it for flaming or other things we gotta enforce them. Civilized discussion is still very possible and I highly encourage it.

Who on earth said anything about a different bracket? Smash Sisters is a crew battle.

But by all means, don't let a little bit of reading get in the way of your urge to shout your useless opinions about things that don't exist.
tourney, event, bracket, w/e all i'm saying is don't make it about something it isn't. being inclusive as a community that can compete freely shouldn't be an issue so let's not make my opinion be about what is and isn't. no one is taking away anything from anyone.

Last edited:
This article has little no no coverage or knowlede of trans/nonbinary melee players, and little coverage of us at all. The writer clearly is only aware of smash 4.

Not happy with this article.
I do have a knowledge of Melee, these two particular Smashers reached out to discuss some of these things so that's where I put my focus. The last thing I wanted to do was be rude and send people a message saying I knew they were trans and asking them if they'd talk about it. I worried that would be far worse and more uncomfortable for them. I promise this is in no way a bias towards Smash 4. I was just trying to have manners the best I could.

t
tourney, event, bracket, w/e all i'm saying is don't make it about something it isn't. being inclusive as a community that can compete freely shouldn't be an issue so let's not make my opinion be about what is and isn't. no one is taking away anything from anyone.
How about we ask the participants if this is taking anything away from them instead of making poorly informed assumptions?

Oh, right, because ppl who are offended by this don't really give a **** about those it actually affects, lol

While i don't agree with the idea that we need to see separate divisions for these people (I kind of admittedly just saw the title and felt kind of relieved, I didn't read it) having a "safe space" does not suddenly mean you avoid all contact with disrespectful players. Or "mean" people in general. That's a completely unfair assertion and I'm tempted to say strawman, but i'm trying to refrain from turning this into an all out debate.
What's wrong with debate?

For @Nezz64 and makemesmellbad makemesmellbad I would check out this article that discusses all female tournaments written by the founder of Smash Sisters events. I think it explains the positives of such events quite nicely while addressing common concerns.
The thing is, nobody is hosting "all male tournaments". If they are, they should be criminalized for discrimination. Why is it okay to do it for any other demographic? If we're all gamers, we're all gamers. It's a label that has no specific sex linked to it, and therefore, should not be treated like it is.

Nothing when the debaters are well informed on the topic, which is rarely the case
That's the time to pick and choose your fights (arguments in the terms of debate). If someone refutes a topic, it is only fair to give them a voice. With that said, you are allowed to refute that topic back, and whether they accept the facts or not is not in your own control, just like accepting their statements is not in theirs. The beauty of debate is that it shows more than one side to an argument for the people viewing the debate to make their own judgments on. It's not strictly for the two debaters.

The thing is, nobody is hosting "all male tournaments". If they are, they should be criminalized for discrimination. Why is it okay to do it for any other demographic? If we're all gamers, we're all gamers. It's a label that has no specific sex linked to it, and therefore, should not be treated like it is.
Did you read his link at all

This may be the difference! It's not a special bracket, nor is there money involved. They just are crew battles for fun.

Also pidgezero_one pidgezero_one you might wanna check the writer bio. ^_^

Last edited:
That's the time to pick and choose your fights (arguments in the terms of debate). If someone refutes a topic, it is only fair to give them a voice. With that said, you are allowed to refute that topic back, and whether they accept the facts or not is not in your own control, just like accepting their statements is not in theirs. The beauty of debate is that it shows more than one side to an argument for the people viewing the debate to make their own judgments on. It's not strictly for the two debaters.
As someone who actually participated in smash sisters I really could not give a **** if someone thinks they have a legitimate point if they think these events are "segregating" or whatever. That's not their call to make and a cursory google search would tell them that the event so far has been a positive presence and absolutely nothing like their kneejerk reaction thoughts would suggest. Debate is effective when it's not a complete waste of time thanks to those ppl who care more about listening to their own opinions than they do about learning about reality.

You just said the thing. There would be no point in an all male Smash Bros. tournament or anything, because that's basically what they already are for the most part.

It's the same reasoning we don't have white history month. How do people not get this?

For @Nezz64 and makemesmellbad makemesmellbad I would check out this article that discusses all female tournaments written by the founder of Smash Sisters events. I think it explains the positives of such events quite nicely while addressing common concerns.
This article is strictly subjective. What I was discussing was an objective clause in the face of competitive play. The reason for hosting separate tournaments making someone "feel better" about their self is not an objective thing to do. It's almost babying the player, in a way, when they should be exposed to everything. Instead of using your differences as a weakness, you should use it as a strength. Ie., being one of the rare females in a mainly male environment can be an inspiration to other females that were too afraid to join in before have more of a reason to with their new found role model.

User was warned for this post
As someone who actually participated in smash sisters I really could not give a **** if someone thinks they have a legitimate point if they think these events are "segregating" or whatever. That's not their call to make and a cursory google search would tell them that the event so far has been a positive presence and absolutely nothing like their kneejerk reaction thoughts would suggest. Debate is effective when it's not a complete waste of time thanks to those ppl who care more about listening to their own opinions than they do about learning about reality.
So what you are saying is, you don't want to debate because people don't have the exact same experiences you do, and because you had a positive one, it must be positive for everyone? Because by the sound of your attitude, you must really not like discussing anything contrary to your beliefs, which is, in itself, destructive to any community.

agh, I feel like I contributed to this misconception with my second post.

They're not actually separated, the tournaments that really matter are all open to anybody, regardless of race/gender/ethnicity/etc.
All they're doing is giving people someplace to go to feel more comfortable and confident (those female crew battles). Even if we didn't "host" tournies officially like that they'd be created anyway, and they're deeply important to some people. Why not let them? You're not required to go to them...
One could argue that comfort isn't relevant in competition. The less comfortable someone is, the better the advantage their opponent has, and it makes that player a weaker one before the game has even started.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a tournament completely decontextualized from the rest of society this would be a valid point. "We're all gamers" is a nice platitude that we'd all like to believe but it's not put into practice in reality by some people, and this causes others to not feel as welcome. Girls and guys just don't have the same cultural standing in a lot of spaces, gaming being one of them. Events like Smash Sisters are there to help rectify those issues, and by all accounts from the participants and the general community has been pretty successful. I think we all would like to live in a world where girls don't feel like they need help from girls-only events to bring them into the community but that's not the world we live in yet.

I see both sides of this. Most of us are firmly in the "just play smash" camp. But it does seem that, for various reasons, some players are nervous about just jumping headlong into 2000 people tournaments without a group of people they can identify with. The idea is to let these people bond and get comfortable within the context of tournaments as a whole (note that these side events are done AT tourneys so it's to mitigate feelings of apprehension, etc.). I just view it as a breeding ground for new players. If some players need these types of groups to get even more into Smash and go to more tournaments, then I am for it. Any growth is good growth. It just needs to be seen by all as a launching pad into the larger community.

What ever happened to Nyani? She played an awesome Mario but it seems like she just disappeared. Is there something I'm missing?

Good article, by the way.
She still plays, she's actually kind of in view now as she attends the new weekly Smash & Clash on the Clashtournaments channel.

You just said the thing. There would be no point in an all male Smash Bros. tournament or anything, because that's basically what they already are for the most part.

It's the same reasoning we don't have white history month. How do people not get this?
Because it's treating something as special when it shouldn't be. Equality means the same, not better than the other because it has/had victim status at one point in time.

Lmao saying his opinion don't matter here because it doesn't change the topic.... Using the front page of Smashboards to push a political agenda is disgusting no matter which side you sit on. If this was from the other sides perspective being posted here you and the rest of you liberal "progressive" lot would be up in arms about it. Disgusting political bias does not belong here.
How is a group of people trying to be accepted for who they are a "political agenda?"

t

How about we ask the participants if this is taking anything away from them instead of making poorly informed assumptions?

Oh, right, because ppl who are offended by this don't really give a **** about those it actually affects, lol
Can you tell me those poorly informed assumptions? i've read through the articles and i stick by what i posted. those that take offense will take offense. The smash community invites lovers of smash competitors and spectators alike. if it's otherwise than i have yet to see it.

Yeah, I don't like this. This only serves to divide the community more than it has to, and it's paying too much attention to things that don't matter in Smash.

In a tournament completely decontextualized from the rest of society this would be a valid point. "We're all gamers" is a nice platitude that we'd all like to believe but it's not put into practice in reality by some people, and this causes others to not feel as welcome. Girls and guys just don't have the same cultural standing in a lot of spaces, gaming being one of them. Events like Smash Sisters are there to help rectify those issues, and by all accounts from the participants and the general community has been pretty successful. I think we all would like to live in a world where girls don't feel like they need help from girls-only events to bring them into the community but that's not the world we live in yet.
Make it the world we live in, is my message. Why baby them by making special tournaments dedicated to making someone feel welcome? Why not just encourage them to do the unconventional in the first place?

Yeah, I don't like this. This only serves to divide the community more than it has to, and it's paying too much attention to things that don't matter in Smash.
Because it's treating something as special when it shouldn't be. Equality means the same, not better than the other because it has/had victim status at one point in time.
No, I think you just missed the point. It's already been explained a bunch of times and how you feel about Smash Sisters doesn't matter anyways since your opinion doesn't affect them and they don't affect you so I'm not gonna go over it again.

Last edited:
I see both sides of this. Most of us are firmly in the "just play smash" camp. But it does seem that, for various reasons, some players are nervous about just jumping headlong into 2000 people tournaments without a group of people they can identify with. The idea is to let these people bond and get comfortable within the context of tournaments as a whole (note that these side events are done AT tourneys so it's to mitigate feelings of apprehension, etc.). I just view it as a breeding ground for new players. If some players need these types of groups to get even more into Smash and go to more tournaments, then I am for it. Any growth is good growth. It just needs to be seen by all as a launching pad into the larger community.
Not all growth is good growth. To compare, viruses adapt to their hosts, and that adaptation is also growth. Those viruses, as obvious as it may seem, are not always beneficial to the host. I push for a strong competitive Smash community, because I love competitive Smash. If we aren't able to effectively expose people to the reality of competitive Smash as we could, I am against that notion. I do see where you are coming from, but I'd have to disagree with you, there, friendo.

No, I think you just missed the point. It's already been explained a bunch of times and how you feel about Smash Sisters doesn't matter anyways since your opinion doesn't affect them and they don't affect you so I'm not gonna go over it again.
Way to shut down the discussion. I didn't want to progressively discuss our ideas with you anyways.

its crazy how out of wack this is all getting, it sucks too because i feel like if you even have an opinion at all, someone will bite your head off. now i understand some people get harassed. whether they be women, transgender, but i mean male players also get harassed by better skilled players too, i'm not trying to take attention away from the ladies but what i'm saying is that **** talking and downing other players is never the way to go and is a poison to the community. and i mean if someone is doing that then beat them in tournament or a salty suite because if your here in this community is for the game. nobody should care if your a women, transgender, or bad at the game. all players should be treated with respect as a human being at the very least. tsk tsk, come on smashers show some love to the people who have the same passion as yourself

Make it the world we live in, is my message. Why baby them by making special tournaments dedicated to making someone feel welcome? Why not just encourage them to do the unconventional in the first place?
Making it the world we live in is part of the goal of Smash Sisters. I don't think anyone wants to permanently have to have girls-only events (and again for the record since others seem to be confused, Smash Sisters was a crew battle, not a segregated bracket; many of the Smash Sisters participants also entered the regular G3 bracket), but they are the scaffolding from which a greater, more integrated community will be built. And again, the proof is in the pudding; ask literally any of the participants of the event whether they felt "babied" or whether it helped them feel more comfortable about going to future events. Of course we can run through everyone's hypotheticals and concerns in our heads and certainly some are worth considering but part of the point of Milktea's article was that maybe we should just TRY it and see what happens instead of being mired in theory; seems like that was a wise decision.

Making it the world we live in is part of the goal of Smash Sisters. I don't think anyone wants to permanently have to have girls-only events (and again for the record since others seem to be confused, Smash Sisters was a crew battle, not a segregated bracket; many of the Smash Sisters participants also entered the regular G3 bracket), but they are the scaffolding from which a greater, more integrated community will be built. And again, the proof is in the pudding; ask literally any of the participants of the event whether they felt "babied" or whether it helped them feel more comfortable about going to future events. Of course we can run through everyone's hypotheticals and concerns in our heads and certainly some are worth considering but part of the point of Milktea's article was that maybe we should just TRY it and see what happens instead of being mired in theory; seems like that was a wise decision.
The key is to take the initiative. I never said it would be easy, but people have to trust one another to work together. Of course it won'the always happen, but that'should how the world works, regardless of gender politics. We nerds didn'the become a popular subculture with other peoples' help. It'seems a desperate fighto that we all hope to win.

Yeah my post had some weak lines. I thought twice before posting the "ALL growth is good growth" part.

You know, as a metagame designer, I often ponder issues related to slow player growth. Sometimes issues die out if growth is fast enough, but it's hard to guarantee quick growth. Like say for the next major tournament, 400 women sign up. A lot of the issues people have and are being discussed here, such as nervousness around such a high density of males, would be alleviated.

I get what you mean about creating the world we want to see, but we live in a world where people have high levels of anxieties. Some of them need these things. Whether they should need them is a valid discussion but it's not the only avenue to explore imo.

Smashcapps isn't a guy, so don't call her one.
Wait a second...oh my gosh! Congrats to you Capps for coming out to the world on who you really are, this definitely took me by pleasant surprise! :) Didn't even realize until this comment popped up, and I noticed a change in your editors bio section to reflect this. Absolutely amazing how welcoming people are to these. Society really is evolving in that regard. Thanks for making this article, I know you mentioned working on this somewhere in this thread, too. Seriously thanks for your contributions to this community, these are the articles the Smash community needs.

The key is to take the initiative. I never said it would be easy, but people have to trust one another to work together. Of course it won'the always happen, but that'should how the world works, regardless of gender politics. We nerds didn'the become a popular subculture with other peoples' help. It'seems a desperate fighto that we all hope to win.
I'm not really sure what you mean here; I think initiative was definitely taken with the Smash Sisters event and was successful at that. Simply encouraging people with words is what we've been doing in the past and while it's better than nothing, it clearly hasn't had the same kind of impact that Smash Sisters has. I don't understand your last two sentences exactly, but the point isn't to make everyone in the world a "nerd" or "smasher" it's to make sure everyone gets the same chances to be a part of the community if they want to be one; some groups face social/cultural barriers to our community that we don't, and so I think we have some responsibility to help lower those barriers.

My apologies for misunderstanding you then
No worry, I overreacted. Nothing wrong with transexuals.
It's just tiring to see drama all around the internet. As the article says, the Smash community is very welcoming, so are there really issues to discuss? I think weird looks or calling a transexual person by their old tag is hardly harassment. People are going to judge you no matter who you are, it's a fact of life.

Ignore Twitch chat. It's cancer and that's probably not going to change.

And there's no reason to worry about the Smash Sisters crew battle. It's not babying, they don't get any preferential treatment. It's like organizing an all-Ryu side tourney. Stop brewing drama, let they have their fun.

Just play Smash Bros.

wait why is this an issue?

go ahead, make ur all male tournament, I don't give a crap and openly encourage it. If someone doesn't like it they can just ignore it; that's true freedom.

And before you go all slippery slope on me, yes, there is a limit to this. Certain areas, preferably the biggest and most mattering ones, should be prevented from this "discrimination". The areas that matter the most, you should put everything away and be able to do it. But discrimination itself is not an inherently "bad" conception as what it means is way to broad and can even be used positively on smaller scales.

So seriously, create whatever tournament restrictions you want, just make sure you have a big enough base to support it.

One could argue that comfort isn't relevant in competition. The less comfortable someone is, the better the advantage their opponent has, and it makes that player a weaker one before the game has even started.
One could argue that you can make it relevant if you so choose. Not every tournament has to be a pure test of endurance or skill. They are, for many people, attempts to get better.

Second your baby arguments are getting silly, psychologically speaking, both exposure to controlled environment anxiety and surprise aniexty are important for getting over any type of nerves. Exposure to tournament in a setting that's comfortable makes it easier to do it in less comfortable positions later, what one is right for you will depend highly on you as an individual. You don't have a psychologist following you around every 5 seconds so you'll have to make the judgement yourself on whats the best way to help said issue, and giving the option is hardly something I'd call unfair.

EDIT: I also want to emphasize the idea that being comfortable can actually increase your higher level brain activity, when stressed you close up. Stress helps open you up and makes you more alert (which may make you make more active decisions), but it doesn't exactly make you "smarter".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkzDvAVz81M&index=9&list=LLd77VLGwjt-VQqugfigI_tw
She talks about it here.

Last edited:
I see how this can be controversial, but honestly the more people in the community the better. With more representation in more groups smash can grow even bigger.

Top Bottom