• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcending Barriers: Transgender Women in Smash

The Smash community has long been known as a 'community for everyone', and it shows through our actions. We have built our community around a love of Nintendo, the Smash series, and each other. As Prog so eloquently put it: "It doesn't matter if you're disabled, your race, gender expression, or your sexual orientation. It matters more what game you play and what character you're playing." We have seen transgender women like Maria "Remilia" Creveling and Ricki Sophie Ortiz have success within the professional gaming community, and the same can be said for the Smash community.

Within Smash there are several high profile Smash players like CT | Nyani and Aether | Xaltis who regularly attend and even commentate at events. Community projects like Smash Sisters, special side events hosted at tournaments for female players, have trans-women competing regardless of their current status within transition. "I'd say [Smash] is a safe haven from problems at home," Cosmic Witch, a trans Smasher, told us. "Everyone is supportive and very nice." Xaltis, who attended the first Smash Sisters event, also had a glowing review: "Smash Sisters has done wonders for me, the all girls event allowing me to participate even though I am trans made me feel great about myself."

The First #SmashSisters Event Had Crew Battles At Genesis 3

While the Smash Sisters event was heavily praised, Nyani mentioned that some trans-women who had not yet transitioned were worried about if they belonged at the event: "The heartbreaking part for me was seeing that there were certainly a few pre-transition individuals who expressed not feeling like they belonged. Though i felt that it came more from a personal place of shyness rather than them feeling the environment didn't welcome them." However, she was firm in saying, "Smash Sisters is for ALL the sisters."

Some have expressed concern with the potential for trolls or those trying to 'make a statement' to potentially bring down the event as well due to its acceptance of pre-transitioned competitors. "Why shouldn't, say, notorious troll Angel Cortes don a dress and claim to be trans for a day just to try and snipe some prize money?" Nyani wondered. "The idea here is that we don't really define being of the female gender by looks or anything and gender identity is something that only you can know for sure about yourself. There's no solid grounds to refute them doing so, and challenging someone on it gets into the sketchy territory of aggressively gendering someone."

Despite this, she felt confident such a thing would likely not happen, or if it did, it wouldn't be very impactful. "I think the big thing is that so far, there has been no actual prize money involved in Smash Sisters events. So really, aside from just trying to 'make some kind of statement', there's not much reason for anyone to try to do that. Even if they did, wouldn't it more so just make the statement that Smashers are just super accepting of everyone? Overall the most important thing is that it seems the events are being respected, and if it's an attitude of respect we're seeing then efforts to undermine these events from within the community should be pretty uncommon."

Xaltis With A Luma In Tow

Even outside of events catering to women, many trans Smashers have found attending live events to be a very positive experience after transitioning. "The majority of the smash community seems to treat me as if nothing has changed," Snakeee, another transgender Smasher, told us. "I definitely prefer that over people being negative about it, but really I appreciate the ones that notice my changes in a positive light, and even pay me compliments."

Xaltis recalled her first time coming out to the community at a major event: "My first event I came out to the community was EVO 2015. Only my South Florida scene knew about me at that time. But most of the Smash community at EVO was accepting of it."

As sad as it is, even within our accepting community there are still dangers for these women at events. "Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains. Everyone should be able to waltz in worry free, pal around with the other players, and smash some bros." Nyani said. "However, I understand that this is not the world we live in."

Xaltis discussed on how the community still has issues despite its generally positive nature: "Not every player has been supportive of this, some have even said negative things about it. Stream chats continue to remain negative about it, but I think over time they will get better."

Nyani herself was personally outed as trans during some serious issues involving Alex Strife, a once prominent tournament organizer for the Apex tournament series. Other trans-women receive harassment at events as well. "For events there is the stream chat and maybe a few people who will give you weird looks," Xaltis explained. "This also goes to when you get food at places near the event." Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

With these risks in mind, Nyani had ideas on how events could be made a better place for trans-women to attend: "I think the biggest thing is probably something that carries over from society in general, and that's respecting the identities of trans people based not so much on what you see, but on who they feel they are. Or more simply, don't judge non-passing trans individuals, especially behind their backs. A lot of us are coming from different points in transition, some further along than others. So, some people may be eager to use pronouns that fit their desired gender, while some may be shy to start doing so until they feel they're 'passing'. Same goes with names, and clothing."

A unique issue with players transitioning in the community is the alias they use while gaming. "A lot of long-time members of the community have been finding the confidence to transition in recent years," Nyani told us. "A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected. In Smash, a tag is basically your name within the scene. As such, a lot of trans individuals, myself included, will associate an old tag with their old self, and very much prefer not to be called by it. I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."

Nyani Competing With Her Signature Mii Swordfighter

Both Nyani and Xaltis had words of encouragement for those within the community who are transgender. "Believe in yourself," Nyani said. "If you feel your identity doesn't match your gender role, physical presentation, or what have you, don't get caught up wondering if that makes you weird, defective, or if it's just silly. You are who you are, and nobody knows that better than you. A lot of people are going to have a lot of things to say about it, but at the end of the day, what's the MOST important, is what YOU think about you. Learn to value your view of yourself above all others, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll be invincible."

Xaltis had this to say: "I always wish I would have come out and started everything when I was younger. But MAKE SURE your families would be okay with it; in some cases families are not always supportive of the transgender lives and make it hard on their kids.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, whether you're a trans girl or a trans boy. Everyone should be welcomed in the Smash community. Just have fun and play the game while hanging out with your buddies. There's many people who are accepting of transgender people, so don't be discouraged if you come across a couple who aren't accepting or supportive of you."

---​

Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.

Comments

oh my god! Lmao are you ****ing kidding me you stupid Feminist ****! There is no harassment in this community towards women..

I'm a woman myself and guess what? I don't get harassed because I'm not an over sensitive prick! It's You who are the one making a big deal out of nothing.
You're not a special ray of sunshine.
Just because YOU don't get harassment doesn't mean no-one else does.
And nice resorting to insults, really helps your argument.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Maybe if you stop being so offended over the stupid "he's your boyfriend" question and actually play the game there wouldn't be this issue. And I'm going to say this again, There no REAL reason to have a Female division. You like Smash? good. Are you good at it? Good. That's all! There's shouldn't be any gender issues in the first place. But unfortunately people like you are the one who has to make it a goddamn issue. Stop!
The "female division" simply doesn't exist. The purpose of the female crew battles was to create a welcoming safespace for women that were interested in the community but were afraid to join simply due to their sex or gender (which, yes, is a problem that exists). They're not separating female or isolating them, as they're still able to participate in the main tournament no problem. Just because they had a crew battle as a point of encouragement towards women afraid to enter the community doesn't mean that they're isolating themselves.

Last edited:
Meh. Why does gender even matter? The fact that we have separate divisions for woman is a little disappointing. Anyway, I have thoughts about the transgender thing, but they aren't politically correct so I won't state them. I just thought it was weird that you had to bring gender into this.

Perhaps it's just that men enjoy competitive fighting games more, and as a result more of them show up to tournaments. I wouldn't really expect for a woman to feel comfortable around a bunch of guys. Especially with some of the people in this community. I remember seeing a video with a female smasher, and the comments were mainly about her gender and physical assets (*cough*).

Then again, this is coming from the guy who made a joke comment about not knowing that women played smash.

Last edited:
Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.
Guys, feel free to discuss but that's there for a reason. Please keep it civil.

Perhaps it's just that men enjoy competitive fighting games more, and as a result more of them show up to tournaments. I wouldn't really expect for a woman to feel comfortable around a bunch of guys. Especially with some of the people in this community. I remember seeing a video with a female smasher, and the comments were mainly about her gender and physical assets (*cough*).
This is why the female-only crew battles at Genesis were wonderful. Literally this quote.

The reality is that in a community filled with mostly men and the stigma surrounding female players in the community (according to subpar online memes and the online community), some females that are interested in the game itself won't join the community. If you're a female that isn't subjected to this or can just breeze past it, that's wonderful.

However, assuming that every female is like this and that every female truly sees how the smash community is towards women (which is becoming more and more accepting and equal) versus the awful youtube/twitch/social media community is ridiculous and unrealistic.

Last edited:
This is why the female-only crew battles at Genesis were wonderful. Literally this quote.

The reality is that in a community filled with mostly men and the stigma surrounding female players in the community (according to subpar online memes and the online community), some females that are interested in the game itself won't join the community. If you're a female that isn't subjected to this or can just breeze past it, that's wonderful.

However, assuming that every female is like this and that every female truly sees how the smash community is towards women (which is becoming more and more accepting and equal) versus the awful youtube/twitch/social media community is ridiculous and unrealistic.
Truth!

The "female division" simply doesn't exist. The purpose of the female crew battles was to create a welcoming safespace for women that were interested in the community but were afraid to join simply due to their sex or gender (which, yes, is a problem that exists). They're not separating female or isolating them, as they're still able to participate in the main tournament no problem. Just because they had a crew battle as a point of encouragement towards women afraid to enter the community doesn't mean that they're isolating themselves.
well if this is it, then i dont have a problem with it. lol

I should read it more carefully.

Again no reason to have a female tournament or division. Tournaments should be based off skill, NOT by gender.

Hmm? What? I never said "EVERY" female player was like that. Obviously that's not the case, but I can see why they'd be hesitant on joining in the community due to people like that. I remember when I brought my girlfriend to a smash tournament, and players just kept coming up to me and telling me about her different assets. *cough*

Then again, it all comes down to experience.

User was warned for this post
Again no reason to have a female tournament or division. Tournaments should be based off skill, NOT by gender.
I completely agree with you, but stop, its useless to try and change the points of view of these kind of people, they're beyond reasoning really.
First the furry article and then this, boy, this is a new kind of low.

So a large majority of the world believe in God that calls homosexuality and cross-dressing disgusting and completely destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and 2 neighboring cites for being perverted homosexuals. I would think that should concern you a bit more then wearing make up because it makes you feel good.

We live in a world where you are not what you actually are but whatever you want yourself to be. Sad how far America and the world have fallen.
Depending on where you live (I assume that you're in this category based on your usage of God), you've generally been in a world where you strive to be what you want to be. Just as you want to be a follower of God, others have every right to choose to come out of the closet with their homosexuality or gender queer lives instead of keeping that part of themselves hidden for the sake of others.

If you think that trans-females are actually males that just want to wear make-up and follow it up with "...where you are not what you actually are...", then you have no idea how the brain works. Especially for an individual that has to go through the extremely difficult process of realizing that they don't belong in the sex given to them at birth, realizing that they have to come out of the closet if they want to live a happy life, analyzing the pros and cons of coming out of the closet, finally gathering the courage to do so, and then living with whatever happens afterwards regardless of if it's good or bad.

The misunderstanding here is that this has nothing to do with oppressing any sort of gender. The thing is that while you may not be shy to be around plenty of men in tournaments, there are women who naturally are and that shyness is preventing them from getting into the smash community. The purpose of proposing the female only tournaments is therefore to allow those women in particular to experience what a tournament environment feels like, as well as to try and make a pathway for those shy women to get into the smash community. You are clearly not an example, and that's understandable, however, you must consider those that fit the bill and need these types of tournaments in order to enter the full length of the community itself.

Meh. Why does gender even matter? The fact that we have separate divisions for woman is a little disappointing. Anyway, I have thoughts about the transgender thing, but they aren't politically correct so I won't state them. I just thought it was weird that you had to bring gender into this.

Then again, this is coming from the guy who made a joke comment about not knowing that women played smash.
Didn't you answer your own question on why gender matters?

I mean there's certainly more reasons why it matters but you literally gave a reason yourself legit right after.

was the "why does gender even matter" a wishful thinking question/rhetorical question?

Because I can assure you, I wish gender didn't matter to, but it kind of does. A lot. As much as we hate it doing so.

Not sure what being "muscular" and "stronger than most men" has to deal with her playing smash. what's stopping her?
I'm talking about wrestling/boxing, as she's a ****ing human truck. Despite this, she can't compete in men's boxing, even if she'd wipe the floor with them. Sorry it wasn't clear

To everyone who thinks this is "segregation" or a "separate league" or any such nonsense:

Hi, I'm Pidge. I'm female. I've probably been in this community longer than you. My teammate Revan and I placed 9th in doubles at Genesis 3. I also joined Smash Sisters. It was a great event. I enjoyed it so much that I would like to organize one like it at GOML.

Want to tell me again how it's "separating" me? Or maybe you'd like to tell me how this event is telling me I'm not good enough to compete with men? How it's "unnecessary?" Go on, I've heard it all before. You're still wrong and need to do your homework. Or better yet, just listen to us instead of talking over us.

I'm talking about wrestling/boxing, as she's a ****ing human truck. Despite this, she can't compete in men's boxing, even if she'd wipe the floor with them. Sorry it wasn't clear
physical dimorphism, it exist that's why sports are separated between the sexes. esports shouldn't have to be as performance in smash or any non-physical sport shouldn't be tied to a gender.

Last edited:
physical dimorphism, it exist that's why sports are separated between the sexes. esports shouldn't have to be as performance in smash or any non-physical sport shouldn't tied to a gender.
Yet if she's at the same level as the guys, she wouldn't be allowed to participate

Ok, but I don't think it would hurt anyone doing female (or trans for that matter) only Smash tournaments anyways. I may think it's not ideal since it may not catch on, but that would be great if it did. Nothing to lose sleep over since it doesn't really harm you in the slightest. Make it seem like it's the end of Smash of that happens.

Didn't you answer your own question on why gender matters?

I mean there's certainly more reasons why it matters but you literally gave a reason yourself legit right after.

was the "why does gender even matter" a wishful thinking question/rhetorical question?

Because I can assure you, I wish gender didn't matter to, but it kind of does. A lot. As much as we hate it doing so.
I suppose I did.

Wanting to be treated equally = feminism = bad?

There is a huge gap between normal feminism and radical feminism.

Everyone should want equal rights unless they are a bigoted ****** that only wants themselves to have rights.

Great to see people with dissenting opinions being warned/infracted!

You shamelessly and disgustingly insert politics into Smash and then when people have a dissenting opinion the mods encourage silencing them.

Typical Liberal MO.

Great article. Nyani being out there contributed to me being more open and comfortable in transitioning.

Most of the community is great in person towards me personally. The only time I see a ton of attacking towards myself and other transwomen (and women in general), is on twitch chats, where it's excessively awful. The former is more important though , and I love this community

Last edited:

You shamelessly and disgustingly insert politics into Smash and then when people have a dissenting opinion the mods encourage silencing them.

Typical Liberal MO.
It's not opinions being infracted. It's how they are presented. This site wants people to be friendly to one enough, but if someone goes 'EVERYONE WHO IS NOT LIKE ME IS WRONG LGBT IS A SIN YOU ARE ALL HORRIBLE PEOPLE BLABLABLA', you're showing your opinion, yes, but are also flaming/making discriminatory remarks. Likewise, if it was the other way around, infractions would still be dealt out to the person that's going out of line

Not trying to mini-mod, but can we all agree to just keep civil? It looks like we aren't trying, and more like some of us are intentionally trying to start fights. Regardless of your stance on this, it only makes your side look bad by continually insulting others, if you cannot post a comment without being provocative/inflammatory, please don't, for all our sakes.

This is beautifully written SmashCapps
As a transwoman myself, I've found this community to be mostly accepting, friendly, and warmhearted. I've made some of my best friends ever on this site, (and my supercoollio boyfriend Solfiner Solfiner ) and although there is the occasional side of the community who aren't as nice, generally, I've loved my time in this community.
And definitely never be afraid to be yourself! Love yourself and be you. I wish everyone the best. <3

Oh for ****s sake

SJWs have inflitrated the Smash Bros community too??

GET THE **** OUT. YOU RUIN EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH.

Typical Liberal MO.
Can you show me where this is happening?

Like, really, even the one who was showing intense dissent, the person on "article's" side got it too. I can think of 3 people so far that have shown dissent and gotten nothing but "official" responses. Gimmick (to an extent) the earlier one my second response was for, multiple people who weren't responded to-

like what is with this circle jerk, the mods are doing just doing their job.

I'll give you that the amount of likes is pretty unproportionate but thats not directly stopping anyone.

Oh for ****s sake

love you to honey.

Last edited:
Come on, everyone should be equal and there shouldn't be tournaments for only girls. If guys did that then all the girls would freak out so why should they do the same? Smash is smash, I don't care who you are, I came to this website to learn about top players, matchups, tutorials, etc. not for "everyone as people should be treated equally"

What ever happened to Nyani? She played an awesome Mario but it seems like she just disappeared. Is there something I'm missing?

Good article, by the way.
From what I know she felt like she was being carried by Mario, which I can understand. I personally wish she would just keep playing that awesome Mario though :p

Oh for ****s sake

Soooooooooo...Being pro transgender people = SJW. First of all, way too late on the 'They infiltrated my community' thing, second, there's a difference between SJW and thinking people deserve equal rights. SJW don't want equal rights, but they want people with coloured skin, women and LGBT to get all rights where the rest gets none. Equality means equal, everyone is the same, regardless of skin colour, gender, sexuality. I would treat a white straight guy the same as a black lesbian, does that make me an SJW?

Top Bottom