• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Training Mode v3.0 [Updated 12/26/20]

Fragems

Smash Rookie
Can someone PM me a "Pure" copy of the .iso, or upload their already created training pack? I've tried for a few hours, but I couldn't find any .iso that is " 099774a4a248ceacde95523e7cd42236 " for it's checksum.

I can't get around the xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT error. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Edit: Special thanks to Fraud for helping me with my issue. I had to use a .gcm instead of an .iso file. The version I used came from vimms if anyone was wondering. it works fine now. Thanks.

Last edited:

Fragems

Smash Rookie
Anyone know how to use UCF with the mod? Whenever I try and add the gecko code, it just creates errors and a black screen.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Anyone know how to use UCF with the mod? Whenever I try and add the gecko code, it just creates errors and a black screen.
UCF is toggleable in the OSD menu. Hit L in the rules menu during VS mode or while on the Event Selection Screen to bring it up.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
This is seriously amazing--thank you so much for your work on this. I have a few observations & questions I have after messing around with it for the past few days:

Techchase event:

- I noticed that it's possible to grab Fox (and maybe other characters) out of the missed tech animation, but this doesn't seem to be possible in vanilla melee. Possible there's some flag that got set incorrectly here?

- When missed tech is selected, it seems to default to CPU missed tech behavior, which is to roll away (and occasionally getup attack, depending on level), rather than keeping the random getup options. Would be more useful if it was random, or if you could select the option.

- How are survival DI/combo DI defined? Maximum vertical/horizontal trajectory components, 90 degree rotations of the launch angle, or something else?

- Random DI seems to returns a lot of slight angles. For some chaingrabs/throw combos, slight angles don't really force you to do anything differently, and opponents are more likely to mix you up with extreme angles. Does "random DI" pick randomly from all possible trajectory angles, or from all possible input angles (biasing towards the cardinal directions)? If it's the former, an "input-weighted random DI" option might be useful. Or a pattern that explicitly gives more weight to extreme angles (maybe something like 80% split between combo/survival/perpendicular angles and 20% to slight angles).

- Maybe an option to have the opponent jump out of meteors?

Ledgedash event:

- Sometimes it ends so fast, I can't figure out what I did wrong...

- It seems you've already patched this for some characters, but would be nice if ICs up+B didn't reset the event since it can be used to refresh ledge invincibility.

Last edited:

Gun.Rugger

Smash Cadet
IDK if anyone has suggested this yet or not, but an Act OoThrow would be helpful to me. Maybe even Act OoL-Cancel if you think the people want it.

enigma__

Smash Rookie
I have no clue what I'm doing here. After seeing "Done! The file is in the folder" I have no idea where to go. I don't see any iso file in any folder. I can find "xdelta" and "xdelta3" but Idk what to do with them, or if they're even relevant. Searched google and found nothing except this page

reBirth_Prime

Smash Rookie
So running this on Mac. Successfully created ISO, but when I launch the ISO the screen is just black. The audio works fine and I can select options with the controller and everything, but the screen is just black. Anyone have any idea what my issue might be?

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
So running this on Mac. Successfully created ISO, but when I launch the ISO the screen is just black. The audio works fine and I can select options with the controller and everything, but the screen is just black. Anyone have any idea what my issue might be?
sounds like an emulator issue. if it works on your wii then you may have to change your dolphin video settings.

reBirth_Prime

Smash Rookie
sounds like an emulator issue. if it works on your wii then you may have to change your dolphin video settings.
Thanks for getting back to me so fast! That is amazing. And thanks for all the work you put into this in general. I'm stoked to try it haha. I don't have a wii unfortunately, just dolphin. My other melee isos seem to run fine though. Do you have any idea what dolphin video settings I should be running? If not, I can just mess around with it and hope for the best. Thanks again.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Thanks for getting back to me so fast! That is amazing. And thanks for all the work you put into this in general. I'm stoked to try it haha. I don't have a wii unfortunately, just dolphin. My other melee isos seem to run fine though. Do you have any idea what dolphin video settings I should be running? If not, I can just mess around with it and hope for the best. Thanks again.
if your other iso's work, it may have built incorrectly. try again and make sure the file size is around 1.34 gbs

Sage of Time

Smash Rookie
Thanks for your work on this!

I know it’s been brought up by a few others, but I’d love to have a shine out of shield practice drill. It would be especially great to have a color flash when you’re not in shield stun anymore and a counter telling you how many frames you’re off by when you do the shine.

Is that something that’s easily doable? I’m a programmer too but I’ve got no experience with modding Melee.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
This has been super useful for a few situations. Here are a couple ideas I've had -
-More variance in height of the lasers for powershield training (right now it never shoots low ones)
-Option to change % for uthrow upair minigame, to practice different timings.

Keep up the great work :)

reBirth_Prime

Smash Rookie
if your other iso's work, it may have built incorrectly. try again and make sure the file size is around 1.34 gbs
Hey Unclepunch, sorry to bug you about this again, but I rebuilt the iso and tried again. File size is correct, but for some reason the images just aren't showing up. Got any other ideas?

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Hey Unclepunch, sorry to bug you about this again, but I rebuilt the iso and tried again. File size is correct, but for some reason the images just aren't showing up. Got any other ideas?
Yeah I'm not sure sorry. it sounds like an emulator issue though. i suggest trying it on a wii to confirm its built correctly. if you hear sound + the file size is correct its most likely the emulator. also if you move the stick down and hear a menu sound effect, its definitely your emulator/emulator settings.

InfernoJesus

Smash Rookie
You can practice sweetspotting using the ledgeteching scenario it seems like, if that's what you're looking for.

For practicing shield pressure, I'd love an option to make it so that the enemy only acts OoS after X number of hits on its shield, if that's possible. It'd be great to be able to practice nair -> shine -> retreating nair on shield, or other options against various OoS stuff as spacies.
I mean like getting from the stage to the ledge. Like PC drops, shine turnaround wavedash, dashdance wavedash,etc.

Zach Nunez

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm sorry I had to leave the patreon, i cant afford monthly subscriptions anymore. But I was wondering if there is still any way to give you my ideas for training mode tools? I can post them here if that's best, or like an email or something? I'd like to continue to contribute to the mod even though I'm no longer a patreon.

Fox128

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if this was brought up: For PAL (if you care about PAL at all xD) the threshold for breaking eggs in egg-cercise should be adjusted. I just noticed that Sheik's strong PAL uair won't break the eggs. ^^

Guillotine_Maxine

Smash Rookie
Hey UnclePunch UnclePunch thank you for all your work, this mod is probably one of the most important things to happen in terms of improving the overall level of play in the scene (it's definitely helped me improve a whole lot more than any other way of playing the game solo). I noticed you added the ability to control 2P in the L-Cancel event and it made me wonder if you would be able to do the same for the Combo event? The ability to quickly change percents and clearing the stale move queue every time it resets is incredibly helpful for testing at what percent moves cause hitstun, but because the dummy is always in a neutral position or whatever it's not possible to test the effects/limits of ASDI down and crouch cancel. It's something I've been working on labbing out for the whole cast, but my current way of doing this is incredibly janky and time-consuming (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6PnoQFwhI ), so having this feature in the next version would be a godsend!

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Hey UnclePunch UnclePunch thank you for all your work, this mod is probably one of the most important things to happen in terms of improving the overall level of play in the scene (it's definitely helped me improve a whole lot more than any other way of playing the game solo). I noticed you added the ability to control 2P in the L-Cancel event and it made me wonder if you would be able to do the same for the Combo event? The ability to quickly change percents and clearing the stale move queue every time it resets is incredibly helpful for testing at what percent moves cause hitstun, but because the dummy is always in a neutral position or whatever it's not possible to test the effects/limits of ASDI down and crouch cancel. It's something I've been working on labbing out for the whole cast, but my current way of doing this is incredibly janky and time-consuming (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6PnoQFwhI ), so having this feature in the next version would be a godsend!
thanks, I'm glad it's been able to help you. as for cc and asdi down, I was planning to make an event out of it where you can specify what they do afterwards. I actually forgot about my plans to do that until just now. I'll jot it down in my notes so I remember.

Argent Papyrus

Smash Rookie
Hey UnclePunch UnclePunch thanks for the amazing work, I'm trying the new version and its so much new stuff, I really like it. I wanna ask you a question about loading training mode:

Do you know if its possible to load Training Mode (memcard) by loading the savefiles (.gci) off the sd card with Nintendont? Im pretty sure with Nintendont you can "emulate" memcards and savefiles on the sd/USB drive but dont know if you can read savefiles like your training mode one.., and the only memcard I have I use it for my 20XX TE savefile (so I can run TE on many wiis), and I believe its not possible to have the two savefiles (TE and training Mode) on one memory card....so would be great if whenever I boot melee on Nintendont I could choose to load the memcard savefile (TE) or the SD card savefiles (Training Mode)

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Hey UnclePunch UnclePunch thanks for the amazing work, I'm trying the new version and its so much new stuff, I really like it. I wanna ask you a question about loading training mode:

Do you know if its possible to load Training Mode (memcard) by loading the savefiles (.gci) off the sd card with Nintendont? Im pretty sure with Nintendont you can "emulate" memcards and savefiles on the sd/USB drive but dont know if you can read savefiles like your training mode one.., and the only memcard I have I use it for my 20XX TE savefile (so I can run TE on many wiis), and I believe its not possible to have the two savefiles (TE and training Mode) on one memory card....so would be great if whenever I boot melee on Nintendont I could choose to load the memcard savefile (TE) or the SD card savefiles (Training Mode)
Training mode should load if you placed both saves in a .raw file for nintendont. they cant co-exist with TE on the same card, but you can load the training mode iso on your sd card instead of using the save file.

Last edited:

Rohze

Smash Rookie
Yo, to everyone who is getting the "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" error when dragging their vanilla NTSC .iso/.gcm onto the .bat file, I think I figured out some information that might help you. So although you may be using an unmodified .iso/.gcm which works normally, that doesn't necessarily mean that the .iso/.gcm you have is the version the xdelta patcher is looking for. The checksums differ between versions ie: NTSC v1.00 of melee has different checksums than NTSC v1.02 and PAL has different checksums than NTSC. BUT, if your melee .iso/.gcm isn't perfect the patcher flips out. It's essentially the same as if you threw in the incorrect version of melee and the patcher won't have the correct checksums to alter in order to mod your game.

You can check your checksums by doing the following:
1. Open up dolphin
2. right click>properties>info
3. click "compute" next to the MD5 Checksum box

You should then receive a long string of letters and numbers. According to this post, the values for the different NTSC values are as follows:

099774a4a248ceacde95523e7cd42236 - My Impure NTSC Version 1.02 (.iso)
58d4dba5d0f26b8a8d3f0b2d71816e6c - My Pure NTSC Version 1.02 (.gcm)

3a62f8d10fd210d4928ad37e3816e33c - NTSC Version 1.00 (.iso)
67136bd167b471e0ad72e98d10cf4356 - NTSC Version 1.01 (.iso)
0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174 - NTSC Version 1.02 (.iso) <--- This is the one you want!

Allegedly, every pure NTSC Version 1.02 checksum should match the above Strings your training mode patch is failing because your .iso is not perfect. This may be counterintuitive to those of you, like myself, who have previously installed the 20xx training pack since 20xx patches fine to this same .iso. I believe this is because of the way that 20xx patches, which uses root files and a rebuilder instead of xdelta. Sidenote: I was writing this as I was checking my new working version's checksum and I thought for sure it would match the aforementioned post, but that was not the case. So my best guess is that either unmodified .ISOs and unmodified .GCMs have different checksums or some differentiation in checksum values are permitted and the cases where the mod fails to patch, the checksum values have changed too much.

As far as I've found, the only solution is to obtain a pure Melee NTSC v1.02 .iso. The optimal way to do this is to obtain the .iso from your physical copy of the game. With a shiny, new melee .iso/.gcm that is pure, the patcher should be able to successfully patch the mod to the new .iso/.gcm. If you see that your new .iso/.gcm has a different checksum string, this is a good sign. You should notice that your patching process also takes longer as well. Additionally, the mod should be the same size (1.36GB) as vanilla melee and the training mode .iso should now have a banner.

Take everything I've said with a grain of salt because I am relatively inexperienced with modding melee (though I'd love to work on a mod one day) besides installing this and 20xx. Hopefully this helps someone because this issue could easily be confused with using a modded .iso and is a little difficult to diagnose. I'll try to help out if anyone is having troubles after trying this ^v^. Shoutouts to UnclePunch for making a rad mod in the first place and being a champ and helping out with people who are having trouble installing it. Also, sorry everyone for the wall of text lol.

TL;DR: If you are using a vanilla copy of melee NTSC v1.02 that still fails with the "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" error, your .iso/.gcm isn't perfect, obtain a pure copy that hasn't been altered and try patching again.

See I've checked my values like you said and they match up with the one that should work but I'm getting an access denied error with the patcher

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
See I've checked my values like you said and they match up with the one that should work but I'm getting an access denied error with the patcher
try placing the iso in the same folder or somewhere that windows has permission to access it? I've never seen that error but it's worth trying.

Rohze

Smash Rookie
try placing the iso in the same folder or somewhere that windows has permission to access it? I've never seen that error but it's worth trying.
Oh goodness. Here's the exact error but they are in the same folder together, on my C drive

"
###############################
## ##
## ##
## Training Mode ISO Creator ##
## ##
## ##

Creating Training Mode ISO...
This may take 1-2 minutes.

xdelta3: file open failed: write: Training Mode v1.1 NTSC.iso: Access is denied.

Done!
The file is loacted in the folder. Enjoy!
Press any key to continue . . ."

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Oh goodness. Here's the exact error but they are in the same folder together, on my C drive

"
## ##
## ##
## Training Mode ISO Creator ##
## ##
## ##

Creating Training Mode ISO...
This may take 1-2 minutes.

xdelta3: file open failed: write: Training Mode v1.1 NTSC.iso: Access is denied.

Done!
The file is loacted in the folder. Enjoy!
Press any key to continue . . ."
sounds like windows doesnt have permission to write the iso into the folder with the .bat file. Try moving it to your desktop or somewhere windows definitely has write access.

Last edited:

Rohze

Smash Rookie
sounds like windows doesnt have permission to write the iso into the folder with the .bat file. Try moving it to your desktop or somewhere windows definitely has write access.
Yep, moved everything over to my secondary drive and everything worked as should. I spent 3 hours mucking about like a goon and that's all I had to do.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
It's alright, I was super hyped for v1.1 it's super juicy. Are there any other practice routines you're planning on adding?
one for attacking a crouch cancelling opponent, one for SDI'ing jab reset, one for SDI'ing IC's down throw dair, and one for meteor cancelling

dilviko

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4081-6332-5588
Switch FC
2253-1198-7131
in the shield drop and reversal training modes the closest possible distance you can be to the cpu has been changed I don't know if I'm bad or not but I definitely cant shine oos falco aerials anymore because they're spaced farther now
v1.01
1547548202329.png

v1.1
1547548323576.png

Pokemonnerd1125

Smash Rookie
I have a NTSC iso 1.02 for melee but when it finishes i don't get any iso after it am I doing something wrong? it was fine for 1.00
Edit: never mind i have found it xd

Last edited:

Zach Nunez

Smash Rookie
View attachment 152334

Training Mode is a modpack for Super Smash Bros. Melee that aims to streamline practice by providing pre-made individual training scenarios. This mod utilizes the event mode present in Super Smash Bros. Melee and reworks them to focus around specific techniques, complete with automatic savestate functionality to allow for rapid-fire practice. Some events have included video tutorials playable in-game (ISO version only) to teach the player about the tech and how to perform it. In addition to these events, Training Mode also includes onscreen text displays which provide you with information otherwise unavailable to you mid-game. Training Mode is available in both ISO and memory card save file form.

This mod's development is supported on Patreon. All pledge tiers will grant access to early versions. Thank you to everyone who has supported and continues to support the project!

You can also follow me @UnclePunch_ on Twitter and check out the project on GitHub.

Download Links v1.1:
- NTSC
- PAL
- Memcard

The included .bat file won't work for Mac OS X. Download the above file AND this tool to create the ISO.

Instructions
-For the first field, browse to the .xdelta file in the original download.
-For the second field, browse to the your unmodified v1.02 NTSC Melee ISO
-For the third field, browse to the location you want the Training Mode ISO to be placed
-Lastly, click apply patch!

v1.1 Changelog
View attachment 152334

Training Mode is a modpack for Super Smash Bros. Melee that aims to streamline practice by providing pre-made individual training scenarios. This mod utilizes the event mode present in Super Smash Bros. Melee and reworks them to focus around specific techniques, complete with automatic savestate functionality to allow for rapid-fire practice. Some events have included video tutorials playable in-game (ISO version only) to teach the player about the tech and how to perform it. In addition to these events, Training Mode also includes onscreen text displays which provide you with information otherwise unavailable to you mid-game. Training Mode is available in both ISO and memory card save file form.

This mod's development is supported on Patreon. All pledge tiers will grant access to early versions. Thank you to everyone who has supported and continues to support the project!

You can also follow me @UnclePunch_ on Twitter and check out the project on GitHub.

Download Links v1.1:
- NTSC
- PAL
- Memcard

The included .bat file won't work for Mac OS X. Download the above file AND this tool to create the ISO.

Instructions
-For the first field, browse to the .xdelta file in the original download.
-For the second field, browse to the your unmodified v1.02 NTSC Melee ISO
-For the third field, browse to the location you want the Training Mode ISO to be placed
-Lastly, click apply patch!

v1.1 Changelog
can someone link the video that i think truck jisu made on how to patch the files using GCRebuilder? i'm having some trouble, and the xdelta method seems to be incompatible with something in my computer or my melee iso for some reason. thank you

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
can someone link the video that i think truck jisu made on how to patch the files using GCRebuilder? i'm having some trouble, and the xdelta method seems to be incompatible with something in my computer or my melee iso for some reason. thank you
i cant upload the files because then id be sharing the start.dol in its entirety, which is a copyrighted game file. xdelta is the only way legally to share my changes.

what i can tell you is that the iso you are using is not a clean v1.02 NTSC iso. you'll have to obtain a clean iso to use the patcher.

Kik0

Smash Rookie
So is there anyway to clean our files of 1.02 or are we just SOL

Top Bottom