• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Training Mode v3.0 [Updated 12/26/20]

UCMJ

Smash Rookie
im getting this "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT"

the game shows up with no banner and isnt being read by dolphin

Noscaj

Smash Rookie
any chance you could allow a lower postion for the ledgetech activity as well

jdvslim

Smash Rookie
Never used a Mac but you could opt for the manual way of applying the patch by using the .exe. The way of applying the patch is self explanatory but if you still have issues you can ask.
Hi I am also trying to patch it on Mac using xdelta UI, do you know which file I would use as the Patch and which I would use as a Source, and would I overwrite a file?

withGUTS

Smash Rookie
this thing is amazing. and is definitely helping me improve. so nice as a new player to the game to have tools like this to help catch up

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Last edited:

3Boz

Smash Rookie
I can't figure it out what's the problem but it keeps saying this, I tryed it with both version on both download versions but it still says this. Any suggestions?

###############################
##
##
## Training Mode ISO Creator ##
##
##

Creating Training Mode ISO ...
This may take 1-2 minutes.

xdelta3: file open failed: write: Training Mode v1.0 NTSC.iso: Access denied

Done!
The file is loacted in the folder. Enjoy!
Press any key . , ,

Last edited:

Jay20

Smash Rookie
I can't figure it out what's the problem but it keeps saying this, I tryed it with both version on both download versions but it still says this. Any suggestions?

##
##
## Training Mode ISO Creator ##
##
##

Creating Training Mode ISO ...
This may take 1-2 minutes.

xdelta3: file open failed: write: Training Mode v1.0 NTSC.iso: Access denied

Done!
The file is loacted in the folder. Enjoy!
Press any key . , ,

Peace out,

got the same problem but understand now, what I did wrong.
You have to drag and drop the Iso on the application in the folder and not in the window when you opened the application.

greets

Chello

Smash Rookie
yooo, this is a great mod pack especially for people that are good at the game but want to get better, I was wondering if in your next version to add shine oos timing. like with hitstun on shield and stuff. that would be great. THANK YOU

Keep it up!!

jeet

Smash Rookie
This is quite a nice pack, it's going straight into my regular training routine! Thanks UnclePunch UnclePunch ! As a programmer myself, I have one recommendation: I have always thought that it would be extremely useful to have a di/tech option that uses a Spaced Repetition algorithm (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition) to select di/teching. Such an algorithm is designed specifically to select the options that players are having trouble with, so the pack could identify strengths/weaknesses of the player and training becomes more focused on the situations that the player really needs to work on.

Keep it up!

Noscaj

Smash Rookie
yooo, this is a great mod pack especially for people that are good at the game but want to get better, I was wondering if in your next version to add shine oos timing. like with hitstun on shield and stuff. that would be great. THANK YOU
dude that would be so sick

HOTHISSYHAGFACE

Smash Rookie
This is an amazing contribibution to the community that's sure to shake up the metagame! Thank you, UnclePunch!

Would you ever consider adding in a chaingrabbing feature for characters like peach/pikachu/sheik that have easy grab>grab sequences? Just basically a feature showing how close to the earliest actionable frame you acted.

Edit: Yo I'm ret*rted, I didn't realize you could change percent.

Last edited:

Alexander Mutuc

Smash Rookie
*Edit--Fixed!

Is there an alternate download link? Every time I try, it tells me that the file is corrupted so I can't even unpack it.
Looks sick though, thanks for your work uncle punch!

Last edited:

Mtn of Beef

Smash Rookie
I am having trouble with the process of making the iso. I have the training mode iso made after I dragged and dropped it. I am not sure what to do next. I dont think this is the final step as the iso does not work when put into dolphin any help?

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I am having trouble with the process of making the iso. I have the training mode iso made after I dragged and dropped it. I am not sure what to do next. I dont think this is the final step as the iso does not work when put into dolphin any help?
it may not have finished creating it. try deleting the iso and dragging your NTSC 1.02 vanilla melee iso over the .bat file again

BOATMAN

Smash Rookie
I modded a few files in my Melee ISO and I don't know how to revert them back to vanilla to get the ISO builder to work. I keep getting xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

Skullkid507

Smash Rookie
View attachment 152334

Training Mode is a modpack for Super Smash Bros. Melee that aims to streamline practice by providing pre-made individual training scenarios. This mod utilizes the event mode present in Super Smash Bros. Melee and reworks them to focus around specific techniques, complete with automatic savestate functionality to allow for rapid-fire practice. Some events have included video tutorials playable in-game (ISO version only) to teach the player about the tech and how to perform it. In addition to these events, Training Mode also includes onscreen text displays which provide you with information otherwise unavailable to you mid-game. Training Mode is available in both ISO and memory card save file form.

This mod's development is supported on Patreon. All pledge tiers will grant access to early versions. Thank you to everyone who has supported and continues to support the project!

You can also follow me @UnclePunch_ on Twitter

Download Links v1.01:
- NTSC
- PAL
- Memcard

-Techchase - Fixed bug where CPU would miss tech A LOT when random tech was selected
-Techchase - Fixed bug where savestate would restore early when using the spotdodge post-hitstun action

Coming soon, here's some screenshots to hold you over

any one know how to get this on mac?

MPK

Smash Rookie
hey I'm a noob with installing dolphin programs I've never done it before. Just downloaded this but how do I put this onto my dolphin emulator??? I have no clue what to do

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I keep getting that error message that everyone here is talking about and I'm 100% positive my Melee ISO is Vanilla 1.02.

The ISO that it creates is only 496 MB each time. Not sure what's going wrong.

MPK

Smash Rookie
i have no idea how to install this on my computer. totally lost. is there a guide? or could someone tell me what to do?

InfernoJesus

Smash Rookie
Great features! Using this a lot!

Some requests:
-pick which smash attack cpu uses for OOS practice
-ledgetech marth tipper/peach dsmash
-hax dash
-get to the ledge from center stage asap
-pivot tipper a falling fox that spawns at a random spot near you in the air

Last edited:

Siked

Smash Rookie
I can't figure out how to get to the onscreen display menu. i thought it would be just the random stage select screen but it wasn't on both my memory card version and my iso version

Gigabitten

Smash Rookie
This is really spectacular! The one thing I find myself wanting is a mode to practice combos - for instance, you could set a direction to DI, or a sequence of DI's to execute upon getting hit, and there could be a menu where you can easily set the % of the CPU's, maybe even with character-specific user-defined named presets like "lowest stomp-knee % on no DI"

jacobpilawa

Smash Cadet
i just got it to work. thanks so much for helping and what youre doing for the melee community is awesome. Keep up the great work
Hey, mind telling me how you got it to work? Never done this before and using a Mac -- it does nothing when I drag the iso on the file!

jacobpilawa

Smash Cadet
Can anyone help? Never done anything like this before and using a Mac. When I drag the ISO on the .bat file, nothing happens! Much appreciated! Thanks!

UniClown

Smash Rookie
Thanks UnclePunch. This is great for new and experienced players alike.

Suggestions:
- Add a frame delay option for the 'Spacing on shield' event so you can practice vs imperfect oos options. Players are rarely frame perfect and it is useful to practice pressure options that are technically unsafe but usually fine vs real opponents. Something similar could be done to the techchase/chaingrab event.
- Saw on Twitter that you have multiple OSDs working. With that it would be great to have the ledgedash training mode show all relevant frame numbers especially number of fall frames (before jump) and number of jump frames (before airdodge). I know this is probably a more technically difficult one, but have all those counts was one thing that I loved about 20XX frame count feature so you could fine tune your ledgedash timings.
- Remove (optionally) immediate invincibility on doublejump for the techchase/chaingrab event so you can practice punishing jumps as well as practice combos that work despite the ability to jump
- Mashing event where it counts the number of mash inputs while grabbed for a certain duration. Could be turned into a high-score minigame like the egg event.
- Out of Shield event where an opponent does a pressure option on your shield (eg. shine grab or ac fair jab) and you have to punish it/escape

I could probably go on, but I'm sure you have a lot on your plate. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

SLUGS

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for doing this!

UnclePunch UnclePunch In the display codes project forum you posted a MCM Library so that one could create a custom .iso with these displays. Could you perhaps post the updated code for this since you moved the project here? I would like to create a custom .iso with all of the updated display info features (minus the UCF switch). I don't necessarily need the event matches, although if there's a way to create a custom .iso with the MCM with this whole project included let me know. I just couldn't get it working, presumably because the offsets change after uploading the patch.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone help? Never done anything like this before and using a Mac. When I drag the ISO on the .bat file, nothing happens! Much appreciated! Thanks!
In this reddit thread, someone suggested using a tool called "MultiPatch" - it was free and didn't look too sketchy. Anyways, it successfully spat out an iso and I could get dolphin to use it, but I haven't got my mayflash with me, so I can't actually check if it worked.
Anyways, try command-F ing to "MultiPatch" to find what I did.
I hope this works, and if you try it can you let me know the result? I can't get my mayflash for a few days and the suspense is killing me.

Mommydrummer

Smash Rookie
I've dragged the iso
and put it in the sd
PATH ------> sd: \games\GALE01\ (modded iso)
but it doesn't work on my wii anything else i need to do or am doing wrong

jeffrus

Smash Rookie
Help would be much appreciated. When i drag my vanilla 1.02 ISO onto the .bat file WinRAR gives me an error message saying that it can only add files to RAR or Zip files. Ive tried running the xdelta.exe but nothing ends up happening, what should i do?

***For anyone with a similar Issue, I resolved this by copying the contents of the download folder into a normal windows folder then dragged the ISO onto the batch file through regular windows explorer

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Hi I am also trying to patch it on Mac using xdelta UI, do you know which file I would use as the Patch and which I would use as a Source, and would I overwrite a file?
any one know how to get this on mac?
Hey, mind telling me how you got it to work? Never done this before and using a Mac -- it does nothing when I drag the iso on the file!
In this reddit thread, someone suggested using a tool called "MultiPatch" - it was free and didn't look too sketchy. Anyways, it successfully spat out an iso and I could get dolphin to use it, but I haven't got my mayflash with me, so I can't actually check if it worked.
Anyways, try command-F ing to "MultiPatch" to find what I did.
I hope this works, and if you try it can you let me know the result? I can't get my mayflash for a few days and the suspense is killing me.
As for Mac support, SmokePropane has gathered the tools and files required to build on a Mac. I added the download link to the OP in case you guys haven't gotten it patched yet.

Thanks UnclePunch. This is great for new and experienced players alike.

Suggestions:
- Add a frame delay option for the 'Spacing on shield' event so you can practice vs imperfect oos options. Players are rarely frame perfect and it is useful to practice pressure options that are technically unsafe but usually fine vs real opponents. Something similar could be done to the techchase/chaingrab event.
- Saw on Twitter that you have multiple OSDs working. With that it would be great to have the ledgedash training mode show all relevant frame numbers especially number of fall frames (before jump) and number of jump frames (before airdodge). I know this is probably a more technically difficult one, but have all those counts was one thing that I loved about 20XX frame count feature so you could fine tune your ledgedash timings.
- Remove (optionally) immediate invincibility on doublejump for the techchase/chaingrab event so you can practice punishing jumps as well as practice combos that work despite the ability to jump
- Mashing event where it counts the number of mash inputs while grabbed for a certain duration. Could be turned into a high-score minigame like the egg event.
- Out of Shield event where an opponent does a pressure option on your shield (eg. shine grab or ac fair jab) and you have to punish it/escape

I could probably go on, but I'm sure you have a lot on your plate. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the suggestions! I do plan to add some of these suggestions in the future.

Thanks for doing this!

UnclePunch UnclePunch In the display codes project forum you posted a MCM Library so that one could create a custom .iso with these displays. Could you perhaps post the updated code for this since you moved the project here? I would like to create a custom .iso with all of the updated display info features (minus the UCF switch). I don't necessarily need the event matches, although if there's a way to create a custom .iso with the MCM with this whole project included let me know. I just couldn't get it working, presumably because the offsets change after uploading the patch.
I haven't checked how long just the OSD codeset is now but It's very large and I'd have to manually convert each of them to the MCM format from Gecko. It'll take a bit to do that so I'll try to have it ready when the next version drops, whenever that is. Alternatively, I've made a new method of loading codes, completely bypassing the Start.dol and loading them into memory from a file in the ISO when the game boots. This is how Training Mode loads its codes and you can fit up to 4-5x as many codes this way. It also loads codes in the Gecko format so I don't need to convert them. If you're interested in using this method let me know and I can assist you further.

I've dragged the iso
and put it in the sd
PATH ------> sd: \games\GALE01\ (modded iso)
but it doesn't work on my wii anything else i need to do or am doing wrong
Path for nintendont should be:
sd: \games\GTME01\game.iso

Last edited:

Orbal

Smash Rookie
When I create the new modded iso it says xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

The iso still gets created and it gets loaded into my directory for Nintendont. But whenever I try to load it up theres just a black screen. Anybody have this working with Nintendont?? And yes I am using vanilla v 1.02. Also I don't get what you mean when you say the path has to be sd: > games > GALE01 > modded iso
if I try the path like that the iso doesn't even show up in Nintendont. For me it's just sd: > games > modded iso

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Please add hax dashing & getting to the edge <3
You can practice sweetspotting using the ledgeteching scenario it seems like, if that's what you're looking for.

For practicing shield pressure, I'd love an option to make it so that the enemy only acts OoS after X number of hits on its shield, if that's possible. It'd be great to be able to practice nair -> shine -> retreating nair on shield, or other options against various OoS stuff as spacies.

Profane

Smash Rookie
Can you make these mods more zelda-friendly? I was looking forward to grinding galint aerial interrupts but you're forced sheik with no option to change chars :/

Eeveeman15

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4485-0494-1376
Switch FC
SW-6121-9935-5318
I have the file called : ¨PATCH FILE - Training Mode v1.0 NTSC.xdelta¨, I don't know what I have to do know, please help

Mommydrummer

Smash Rookie
As for Mac support, SmokePropane has gathered the tools and files required to build on a Mac. I added the download link to the OP in case you guys haven't gotten it patched yet.

Thanks for the suggestions! I do plan to add some of these suggestions in the future.

I haven't checked how long just the OSD codeset is now but It's very large and I'd have to manually convert each of them to the MCM format from Gecko. It'll take a bit to do that so I'll try to have it ready when the next version drops, whenever that is. Alternatively, I've made a new method of loading codes, completely bypassing the Start.dol and loading them into memory from a file in the ISO when the game boots. This is how Training Mode loads its codes and you can fit up to 4-5x as many codes this way. It also loads codes in the Gecko format so I don't need to convert them. If you're interested in using this method let me know and I can assist you further.

Path for nintendont should be:
sd: \games\GTME01\game.iso
so this path is in the nintendont file and not the game file? OR the game file is in the nintendont file?

Fraud

Smash Rookie
Yo, to everyone who is getting the "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" error when dragging their vanilla NTSC .iso/.gcm onto the .bat file, I think I figured out some information that might help you. So although you may be using an unmodified .iso/.gcm which works normally, that doesn't necessarily mean that the .iso/.gcm you have is the version the xdelta patcher is looking for. The checksums differ between versions ie: NTSC v1.00 of melee has different checksums than NTSC v1.02 and PAL has different checksums than NTSC. BUT, if your melee .iso/.gcm isn't perfect the patcher flips out. It's essentially the same as if you threw in the incorrect version of melee and the patcher won't have the correct checksums to alter in order to mod your game.

You can check your checksums by doing the following:
1. Open up dolphin
2. right click>properties>info
3. click "compute" next to the MD5 Checksum box

You should then receive a long string of letters and numbers. According to this post, the values for the different NTSC values are as follows:

099774a4a248ceacde95523e7cd42236 - My Impure NTSC Version 1.02 (.iso)
58d4dba5d0f26b8a8d3f0b2d71816e6c - My Pure NTSC Version 1.02 (.gcm)

3a62f8d10fd210d4928ad37e3816e33c - NTSC Version 1.00 (.iso)
67136bd167b471e0ad72e98d10cf4356 - NTSC Version 1.01 (.iso)
0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174 - NTSC Version 1.02 (.iso) <--- This is the one you want!

Allegedly, every pure NTSC Version 1.02 checksum should match the above Strings your training mode patch is failing because your .iso is not perfect. This may be counterintuitive to those of you, like myself, who have previously installed the 20xx training pack since 20xx patches fine to this same .iso. I believe this is because of the way that 20xx patches, which uses root files and a rebuilder instead of xdelta. Sidenote: I was writing this as I was checking my new working version's checksum and I thought for sure it would match the aforementioned post, but that was not the case. So my best guess is that either unmodified .ISOs and unmodified .GCMs have different checksums or some differentiation in checksum values are permitted and the cases where the mod fails to patch, the checksum values have changed too much.

As far as I've found, the only solution is to obtain a pure Melee NTSC v1.02 .iso. The optimal way to do this is to obtain the .iso from your physical copy of the game. With a shiny, new melee .iso/.gcm that is pure, the patcher should be able to successfully patch the mod to the new .iso/.gcm. If you see that your new .iso/.gcm has a different checksum string, this is a good sign. You should notice that your patching process also takes longer as well. Additionally, the mod should be the same size (1.36GB) as vanilla melee and the training mode .iso should now have a banner.

Take everything I've said with a grain of salt because I am relatively inexperienced with modding melee (though I'd love to work on a mod one day) besides installing this and 20xx. Hopefully this helps someone because this issue could easily be confused with using a modded .iso and is a little difficult to diagnose. I'll try to help out if anyone is having troubles after trying this ^v^. Shoutouts to UnclePunch for making a rad mod in the first place and being a champ and helping out with people who are having trouble installing it. Also, sorry everyone for the wall of text lol.

TL;DR: If you are using a vanilla copy of melee NTSC v1.02 that still fails with the "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" error, your .iso/.gcm isn't perfect, obtain a pure copy that hasn't been altered and try patching again.

Top Bottom