• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Training Mode v3.0 [Updated 12/26/20]

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Would it be possible to make a mode for practicing Falcon's gentleman? For instance, there could be a display for how many frames early or late you were from releasing A during hitlag or from the jab animation ending especially for Jabs 1 & 2. Or a display of the jab counter and what inputs caused it to increase. Although you can display the jab counter in 20XX 4.07++, this could be better way to practice.

See this thread for detailed gentleman mechanics: https://smashboards.com/threads/frame-data-the-way-gentleman-works.394171/

Last edited:

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
does somebody know how to use the amsah tech training? there is only a frozen cpu on my game

Snyderzds1

Smash Rookie
I've exported the root folder from vanilla melee, copied the contents of the 'additional ISO files' folder into the root folder, and used gcr to open up that root folder but it just is regular melee and it wont let me save it. I did the codes file and the start file, and followed to readme instructions but i must be doing something wrong??

Edit: so i wasn't actually rebuilding the iso but I did that and redid the entire process a few times and it just keeps producing regular melee iso's

Last edited:

Squelchyman

Smash Cadet
Yo, to everyone who is getting the "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" error when dragging their vanilla NTSC .iso/.gcm onto the .bat file, I think I figured out some information that might help you. So although you may be using an unmodified .iso/.gcm which works normally, that doesn't necessarily mean that the .iso/.gcm you have is the version the xdelta patcher is looking for. The checksums differ between versions ie: NTSC v1.00 of melee has different checksums than NTSC v1.02 and PAL has different checksums than NTSC. BUT, if your melee .iso/.gcm isn't perfect the patcher flips out. It's essentially the same as if you threw in the incorrect version of melee and the patcher won't have the correct checksums to alter in order to mod your game.

You can check your checksums by doing the following:
1. Open up dolphin
2. right click>properties>info
3. click "compute" next to the MD5 Checksum box

You should then receive a long string of letters and numbers. According to this post, the values for the different NTSC values are as follows:

099774a4a248ceacde95523e7cd42236 - My Impure NTSC Version 1.02 (.iso)
58d4dba5d0f26b8a8d3f0b2d71816e6c - My Pure NTSC Version 1.02 (.gcm)

3a62f8d10fd210d4928ad37e3816e33c - NTSC Version 1.00 (.iso)
67136bd167b471e0ad72e98d10cf4356 - NTSC Version 1.01 (.iso)
0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174 - NTSC Version 1.02 (.iso) <--- This is the one you want!

Allegedly, every pure NTSC Version 1.02 checksum should match the above Strings your training mode patch is failing because your .iso is not perfect. This may be counterintuitive to those of you, like myself, who have previously installed the 20xx training pack since 20xx patches fine to this same .iso. I believe this is because of the way that 20xx patches, which uses root files and a rebuilder instead of xdelta. Sidenote: I was writing this as I was checking my new working version's checksum and I thought for sure it would match the aforementioned post, but that was not the case. So my best guess is that either unmodified .ISOs and unmodified .GCMs have different checksums or some differentiation in checksum values are permitted and the cases where the mod fails to patch, the checksum values have changed too much.

As far as I've found, the only solution is to obtain a pure Melee NTSC v1.02 .iso. The optimal way to do this is to obtain the .iso from your physical copy of the game. With a shiny, new melee .iso/.gcm that is pure, the patcher should be able to successfully patch the mod to the new .iso/.gcm. If you see that your new .iso/.gcm has a different checksum string, this is a good sign. You should notice that your patching process also takes longer as well. Additionally, the mod should be the same size (1.36GB) as vanilla melee and the training mode .iso should now have a banner.

Take everything I've said with a grain of salt because I am relatively inexperienced with modding melee (though I'd love to work on a mod one day) besides installing this and 20xx. Hopefully this helps someone because this issue could easily be confused with using a modded .iso and is a little difficult to diagnose. I'll try to help out if anyone is having troubles after trying this ^v^. Shoutouts to UnclePunch for making a rad mod in the first place and being a champ and helping out with people who are having trouble installing it. Also, sorry everyone for the wall of text lol.

TL;DR: If you are using a vanilla copy of melee NTSC v1.02 that still fails with the "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" error, your .iso/.gcm isn't perfect, obtain a pure copy that hasn't been altered and try patching again.
In addition to this: if you find your hash is 570f5ba46604d17f2d9c4fabe4b8c34d like mine was, I managed to follow this guide, under the Vanilla Hashes section of the page, to get the correct hash of 0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174. Posting this in case anyone else had the same problem as me.

Nerako

Smash Rookie
I'm new to modding, please keep that in mind. I've been having this problem in the step where I "drag the Melee v1.02 Start.dol Here.bat". It responds
Creating Training Mode Start.dol...
xdelta3: file open failed write: ..¥Additional ISO Files¥Start.dol: The system cannot find the path specified.

Can someone please explain what the problem is?

Last edited:

Nerako

Smash Rookie
Here is my process so far (I have Melee 1.02 -the correct hash value- downloaded and downloaded the NTSC version of Unclepunch TM from his thread )
1. Launch "Build Training Mode Codeset.bat" file
2. Open GCR and export (extracted) Start.dol file
3. Dragged the Start.dol file into "drag the Melee v1.02 Start.dol Here.bat" (Problem Above)
4. Open GCR and export (extracted) root file
5. Copied contents of "Additional ISO Files" to the root file extracted at step 4
6. (GCR) Opened the modified root file and saved/rebuilt it
7. Ran it on Dolphin (Slippi) but it's just the normal Melee
8. Desperately trying to understand the problem but not knowing, so asking an online forum.

Jakubih

Smash Rookie
So, I've tried to do this for quite a while, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I have a clean .ISO file, with the "perfect" MD5, 0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174.

However, as soon as I drag the ISO into the .bat file, a cmd window opens for 1 second, then closes down. Nothing else happens.

I'm stuck at this stage, and I really don't know how to fix this. No one seems to have the same problem either. Does anyone have any solutions?

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
i came to say thank you for realizing my dream of such fancy custom UI in melee
such a ****in milestone love you

elneondragon

Smash Rookie
Here is my process so far (I have Melee 1.02 -the correct hash value- downloaded and downloaded the NTSC version of Unclepunch TM from his thread )
1. Launch "Build Training Mode Codeset.bat" file
2. Open GCR and export (extracted) Start.dol file
3. Dragged the Start.dol file into "drag the Melee v1.02 Start.dol Here.bat" (Problem Above)
4. Open GCR and export (extracted) root file
5. Copied contents of "Additional ISO Files" to the root file extracted at step 4
6. (GCR) Opened the modified root file and saved/rebuilt it
7. Ran it on Dolphin (Slippi) but it's just the normal Melee
8. Desperately trying to understand the problem but not knowing, so asking an online forum.
Hey man I am having the exact same issue. It's like the batch file isn't recreating the Start.dol with the modifications and its just normal melee after all steps are done. Anyone have any insight into this?

sololobo

Smash Rookie
Hey man I am having the exact same issue. It's like the batch file isn't recreating the Start.dol with the modifications and its just normal melee after all steps are done. Anyone have any insight into this?
Yup, same problem here. The only difference in what I've done is that I have extracted the Start.dol file using Dolphin and DAT Texture Wizard as well, but I have the same issue. If someone knows what's the problem, please help.

vankirby

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am having the exact same problem as a lot of people describe here. I have tried two different ways:

1- Following the instructions on https://github.com/UnclePunch/Training-Mode and compiling the ISO using GCR.
-> This method creates an iso file which is just like the original one.

2- Drag and drop the NTSC 1.2 iso into the Drag Melee v1.02 Start.dol Here.bat.
-> This output an error: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

I have check the MD5 of the iso I am using to make sure it is "vanilla" and I get the same as recommended on https://github.com/UnclePunch/Training-Mode : 0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174.

What could be the issue? There must be a step I am missing.

EDIT: I found the solution. For some reason, you have to download the training mode from this link: https://smashboards.com/threads/training-mode-v2-0-updated-12-2-20.456449/ and not directly from the github link. Once you do that, you will have file named "Drag Melee v1.02 ISO Here.bat" instead of "Drag Melee v1.02 Start.dol Here.bat". Therefore, use procedure #2 with the "Drag Melee v1.02 Start.dol Here.bat" and it will create a new iso file.

However, if someone could explain why procedure #1 doesn't work that would be helpful as well in the future.

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Does anyone know if it would be possible to run Training Mode with Diet Melee mods to help the game run on a crappy computer? Dragging and dropping Training Mode onto the Diet Melee builder results in the Training Mode mods being completely replaced with Diet Melee. I'm just looking for graphical replacements.

PaleBee

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
TTVP#615
View attachment 293606

Training Mode is a modpack for Super Smash Bros. Melee that aims to streamline practice by providing pre-made individual training scenarios. This mod utilizes the event mode present in Super Smash Bros. Melee and reworks them to focus around specific techniques, complete with automatic savestate functionality to allow for rapid-fire practice. Some events have included video tutorials playable in-game (ISO version only) to teach the player about the tech and how to perform it. In addition to these events, Training Mode also includes onscreen text displays which provide you with information otherwise unavailable to you mid-game. Training Mode is available in both ISO and memory card save file form.

This mod's development is supported on Patreon. All pledge tiers will grant access to early versions. Thank you to everyone who has supported and continues to support the project!

You can also follow me @UnclePunch_ on Twitter and check out the project on GitHub.

Download v2.0

v2.0 Changelog

Download Links v2.0:

v1.1 Changelog
hm, sounds like it's not a vanilla 1.02 NTSC iso you are using.
I am sure I have a working copy, and I still get the same message. Please help :(

moldy

Smash Rookie
what do i do if i keep getting the "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" message even though i'm using a vanilla 1.02 melee iso?

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Make sure it’s .iso and not .nkit.iso or scrubbed in anyway.

Koonman

Smash Rookie
For anyone having issues even after this point, I was able to make it work with nintendont on my wii by changing the iso name to just "game" as opposed to the four word whatever 1.1 title it produces for itself.

I realize now that I am a fool, thats what Uncle Punch meant by game.iso the whole time. anyways
Yo, so if you figured how to play it on wii, how do I do it, I got the iso, I also made sure the name was game.iso but my nintendon't keeps saying that it's unable to read disc header, can you drop a link to the save file you're using I don't know how to convert the one provided to a .raw.

Last edited:

doorknob427

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
KNOB#516
Hey, idk if people still check this forum, but I keep getting the error XD3_INVALID_INPUT. I know this means that I am not using the vanilla 1.02 NTSC version of the game but I've tried 6 different iso's and none have worked. Is there an easier way to do this?

DrSheriff

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
DRSH#283
Edit: figured out how to go back to the menu

Last edited:

bumbino

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
psyf#691
its just dosent work for me...
this is what its saying

'xdelta.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

BrassMonkey

Smash Cadet
what do i do if i keep getting the "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" message even though i'm using a vanilla 1.02 melee iso?
Hey, idk if people still check this forum, but I keep getting the error XD3_INVALID_INPUT. I know this means that I am not using the vanilla 1.02 NTSC version of the game but I've tried 6 different iso's and none have worked. Is there an easier way to do this?
For anyone having trouble identifying the correct melee version, you can use window's 8/10 built in MD5 Checksum.
Head over to this website and download the Add_Hash_to_context_menu.reg file.
Once you've ran the file you should have a 'Hash' option in your context menu along with MD5.
Right click your ISO in the explorer -> Hash -> MD5. After a couple seconds powershell should display the MD5 of your ISO.

If you don't want to download or run a reg file, you can check the MD5 of your ISO through dolphin.
Right click your ISO in dolphin -> Properties -> Verify -> Make sure MD5 is checked and click Verify Integrity.

The checksum for a 1.02 NTSC 'ISO' file is
0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174

These checksums will not work but can be converted to 1.02 using this tool.
1.0 NTSC - 3a62f8d10fd210d4928ad37e3816e33c
1.01 NTSC - 67136bd167b471e0ad72e98d10cf4356

These checksums mean your melee is the correct version but is in the wrong file format.
Use Dolphin to convert the file to an ISO. (Right click in dolphin -> Convert File... -> Change format to ISO -> Convert)
1.02 NTSC (.nkit.iso) - 570f5ba46604d17f2d9c4fabe4b8c34d
1.02 NTSC (.nkit.gcz) - 8228CFC55F0C71F7926AC33FBEE2681C
1.02 NTSC (.gcz) - 47025C0C14E9FC582EDBAFC4D181C61F
(File extensions can also be .wia or .rvz. These extensions have too much variation and your better off converting them-
to an ISO before you check their MD5)

These checksums may work but are not confirmed.
772730fd336927f4fd2be4e58785bc27
82d58821dfb15708cf56eef64e362f34
4cad086498f3f8b18bfa74a2066a2dc8

Any checksums not listed above or listed below will not work.
1.0 PAL - 5e118fc2d85350b7b092d0192bfb0f1a
1.0 NTSC-J - 378be81bb6c38febd847fc4b7f7dc36f
1.2 NTSC-J - dc07abd4b6a5e1517da575274ceefcf8

Last edited:

JimrudeSsb

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
JIM#460
Everyone, get hype.

EDIT2:
If you don't want to patch it (for some reason), you can possibly PM me for an easier way.
I'm just not sure how quick I'll get to it.
Can you send me the download without using the patch, im having trouble with it

Sgarbi

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
GIO#409
Hi.

I'm trying to install it on a Mac mini (M1). Does it work on Macs with the M1 chip?

When I run MultiPatch File Patcher, following the instructions in the Mac folder, I get this message:

Invalid input. This typically means that the file you selected to patch is not the file your patch is intended for.

Thanks in advance!

BXBX

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I think the optional on-screen display info is broken in V3. None of the options appear to show in the training lab mode.

FL1PPER

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to run UnclePunch V3.0 (Alpha 7) on GC using Name Entry exploit? I've been able to run the original v1.1 using an SD card and GCMM and it works perfectly. I'm not technical enough to understand all of the code behind the two files. I know that Mod Launcher.gci is for the name entry exploit but no matter what I try, loading anything other than the original Training Mode v1.1 Data.gci fails. I've tried saves from dolphin emulator using V2.0 V3.0 in both .gci and .raw formats but no luck. I've tried using the "Create Save" option in V2.0 but for some reason I can't get it to work in dolphin because it states "Temp Disabled" and even after reinstalling dolphin, trying various ISO copies of Melee and changing any setting that I could I still cannot use V2.0 "Create Save" function. I tried using the V3.0 saves from the recording save states and those didn't work either. I know its a bit old school to run this on anything other than slippi but I would love to be able to run V3.0 on a GC using the name entry exploit on my memory cards. I've successfully been able to run the ISO for V3.0 from my SD card but I hate having to load up my action replay to run the game. Sorry for the long post but I've been trying everything short of becoming a programmer to get this to work and I just can't seem to find a fix. I appreciate everything you've done with UnclePunch and Multimod etc. Any help is appreciated!

Sparkitus505

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
spar#334
Does anyone know how i can get a diet melee training mode
I tried searching but the only other person who has asked also didnt get an answer lol

Finger

Smash Rookie
Is there a place to report errors for Uncle Punch? Seems like Falco's tech roll towards is broken, just does tech in place instead.
My settings were Falcon Up-throwing Falco at 100%, no trajectory DI, no air-dodge, tech roll towards.

Top Bottom