• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Training Mode v3.0 [Updated 12/26/20]

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
1606915375064.png

Training Mode is a modpack for Super Smash Bros. Melee that aims to streamline practice by providing pre-made individual training scenarios. This mod utilizes the event mode present in Super Smash Bros. Melee and reworks them to focus around specific techniques, complete with automatic savestate functionality to allow for rapid-fire practice. Some events have included video tutorials playable in-game (ISO version only) to teach the player about the tech and how to perform it. In addition to these events, Training Mode also includes onscreen text displays which provide you with information otherwise unavailable to you mid-game. Training Mode is available in both ISO and memory card save file form.

This mod's development is supported on Patreon. All pledge tiers will grant access to early versions. Thank you to everyone who has supported and continues to support the project!

You can also follow me @UnclePunch_ on Twitter and check out the project on GitHub.

Download v3.0

Download v2.0

v2.0 Changelog
Feature Additions
-Added pages to the event menu - use left and right to navigate between pages. Current pages are
Minigames, Universal Tech, Spacie Tech.
-Added "Ledgetech Marth Counter" event - practice timing your L/R press to succeed in teching Marths counter at ledge.
-Added "Reaction Test" minigame - press any button after Fox shines to display your reaction time in frames.
-Added "Armada Shine" event - practice shining the enemy fox's up B during its vulnerable frames
-Added "Slide-Off DI" event - use slide-off DI to escape Marth's up air platform follow up. Try attacking marth before he shields after landing.
-Added "Escape Shiek Techchase" event - practice shining frame perfectly after a tech option. The CPU will leave a one frame window for you to hit them. Alternatively, miss the tech and practice SDI'ing Shiek's jab reset.
-Added "Side B Sweetspot" event - use spacies' side b to sweetspot the ledge against Marth's down tilt. Try using a well spaced full length side b or a shorten to grab the ledge.
-Added "Grab Mash" event - react to the grab by mashing buttons in order to escape as quickly as possible. the frame you escaped is displayed, as well as soonest possible frame you could have escaped. The text is colored based on how quickly you escaped.
-Added "Under Fire" minigame - see how long you can last under the slowly rising brinstar lava by doing fully invincible ledgestalls.
-Added a new menu to the Event Selection Screen. Pressing Z will display the menu. Current available options are:
-"Create Save" - will create the memory card save exploit version of Training Mode to the desired memory card slot. This option is available on the ISO and memory card version of the mod. The memory card version can create the save file without the original memory card inserted, as all of the mod's data is loaded into memory at all times
-"Show Credits" - will display the credits of Training Mode, showing the initial patrons of the mod, as well those who assisted in the creation of the mod.
-added 3 new game modes to special melee.
-Chess Melee - Replaces Super Sudden Death. A port of Achilles1515's game mode where positions and percents reset when a player loses a stock
-Rotation Melee - Replaces Giant Melee. in this game mode, up to 4 players will take turns playing 1v1's. When one player dies, the next is spawned in their place and fights the player they lost to. Percents carry over between stocks.
-Tag Melee - Replaces Tiny Melee. Intended for 3+ players, upon spawning one player is decided at random to be "it" and is highlighted in purple smoke. A hidden timer counts down (random between 10-30 seconds). When the timer ends, the player dies and all players respawn. The "it" player can tag another player by hitting them. The countdown carries over between tags.
-CPU now ASDI's down when using the "Down and Away" DI option in Combo Training
-Added "Slight DI Random" option to Combo Training, which will choose a random value between positive/negative 36 and 66

Tweaks
-UCF is now enabled by default
-made random DI much more random. will choose between either
-fully random stick coordinates
-full outwards
-full inwards
-random slight angle
-TDI down and away, ASDI down
-no DI
-hazards are now disabled during events
-removed shy guys on Yoshis Story
-removed Whispy on Dreamland
-removed transformations on Pokemon Stadium
-wavedash OSD displays wavedash angle in degrees
-unplugging a controller in VS mode will close the port on the CSS, instead of changing the player to a CPU.
-"Random Mash" setting in Combo Training will no longer mash out as quickly
-Holding A+B after an event ends will restart it
-loading a savestate stops all character sound effects and crowd cheers
-only show controller values on pause while in an event.
-quickly adjust percents by holding the dpad direction
-remove sparkle on savestate load
-X and Y on event menu works much more intuitively compared to vanilla melee.
-pause camera snaps to offscreen players
-frame advance rapidly by holding Z
-display arrows on event options menu
-winners names are gold on CSS in VS mode
-unlock sound test
-update SDI, shield drop, and ledgetech tutorial video (courtesy of minute melee)
-hide "R = Tutorial" text when tutorial does not exist
-increase menu deadzones to avoid accidental page changes in event select screen (0.375 -> 0.500)
-memory card dialog is skipped if no memory card is detected
-special move names now display in develop mode (instead of using the number IDs)
-display hurt/hitboxes above stage collision in develop mode
-remove freeze glitch from PAL variant
-salty runback works in special melee
-remove all trophy and message popups
-remove non-custom events, events start at event #1
-hide nametag when invisible
-play SFX when holding X on boot to load CSS
-savestates work more reliably when frame advancing
-allow move staling in develop mode
-reduced tutorial movie framerates, allowing for a smaller patch and more space for future tutorials

Bug Fixes
-fix savestate crashes (disable saving when characters are in "problematic" states)
-fix crash when holding A+X for random stage
-fix crash when using develop mode with certain events
-fix crash when breaking an egg outside of eggsercise event
-fix all star crash
-fix crash when using grapple during ledgedash event
-random stages are no longer changed between matches
-memcard prompt no longer displays when resetting the game without a memcard plugged in.
-fix OSD settings from being deleted when resetting without a memcard plugged in.
-fix sudden death -> stage select screen bug
-fix aerial interrupt GALINT reporting the wrong amount of frames
-fix camera snap on waveshine event
-check each players inputs for random stage
-fix ledgedash auto resets for donkey kong up B + double jump fall
-can no longer buffer L/R/Z presses on the event select
Download v1.1:

v1.1 Changelog
Feature Additions
  • Activated the crash handler. If your game crashes, tweet me a picture of the screen! This will make bugs 100x easier to fix.
  • You can now have multiple onscreen displays visible at once. Default is 2 but you can change this with X/Y in the OSD Menu.
  • Mid-Event Menu - Displays when paused instead of using theR+DPad combo. Menu is now scrollable and displays up to 3 options at once. The currently selected option is highlighted in yellow.
  • Added a Fastfall OSD. Tells you which frame you fastfell on.
  • Act Out of Tech has been replaced with Act Out of Wait. This will show you which frame you acted out of throws, L-Cancels, techs, grounded attacks, etc.
  • Frame Advantage OSD - Added an OSD to indicate how many frames you were able to move while your opponent was in shield stun. It also tells you how many frames your opponent was able to move after you landed an attack.
  • Combo Counter OSD - Added a Combo Count OSD that will pop up whenever you land more than 1 sequential hit. The combo will continue so long as the opponent isn't in an actionable state (grabs, tech animations, jab resets, etc all continue the combo). Multi-hit moves count as one entry in the combo.
  • Act OoAutoCancel OSD - indicates frame acted after an autocancel (included in Act OoWait).
  • Hold X on any controller during bootup to boot to the character select screen.
  • (VS Mode) Press L+R+A+X when paused to instantly reset the match and load a random stage.
  • Ledgedash Event - Added a Ledgestall OSD to indicate perfect ledgestalls and to display how many frames late you were.
  • Ledgedash Event - sound effect plays when you put out a hitbox while having ledge intangibility
  • Ledgedash Event - Add option to start on respawn platform
  • Ledgedash Event - Add option to disable auto-restore
  • Attack on Shield - Added Spotdodge , Roll Away, and None to OoS Option Menu
  • Attack on Shield Event - Add Up-Smash OoS and Wavedash OoS
  • Add aerial attacks to reversal event
  • Display analog stick values when paused
  • Combo Training - Added a mashout option. Choose between Frame Perfect, Random, and None
  • Memcard Exploit - The memcard exploit now loads into the Event Select Screen instead of the Title Screen. You can also hold the X button while selecting name entry to skip right to the Character Select Screen as soon as the exploit finishes.
  • Memcard Exploit - Adjusted memcard so it doesn't crash 1.00 and 1.01 setups. If 1.00 or 1.01 is detected, it will return to the title screen

Tweaks
- Multiple events now track high scores. Ledgedash event tracks consecutive ledgedashes, highest string in the session is saved as the new high score (assuming its higher than the saved high score).
In addition to this, SDI Training tracks consecutive successful SDI's, Powershield Training tracks consecutive powershields, Ledgetch Training tracks consecutive ledgetechs and
Techchase/Chaingrab tracks combo count. The highest score in each session will be saved to the memory card upon exiting the event.
  • Combo Training - Event 14 is now called Combo Training (formerly Techchase/Chaingrab)
  • Attack on Shield - Event 11 is now called Attack on Shield (formerly Spacing on Shield). This event now has the Frame Advantage OSD enabled by default and is useful for seeing how safe
your moves are on shield.
  • Can select any stage for Eggs-ercise. This code's logic has been entirely revamped. It will now spawn an egg at any random "non-offscreen" position so long as there is ground directly below it.
  • Can select any stage for Reversal Training
  • Can select any stage for Amsah-Tech Training
  • Can select any stage for Ledge-Tech Training
  • Reversal Event - Act OoJump, Act OoJumpsqaut, and Wavedash Timing are enabled by default during this event (good for practicing aerials/shine/upB/upsmash oos/wavedash timings)
  • Saving and loading positions will snap the camera to the players' new positions
  • Moving CPU with DPad-down will now check if there is ground in front of the player, only then will the CPU's position be adjusted
  • Fix input buffering when starting a custom event
  • Add "Press L for OSD Menu" indicator in the rules menu
  • Add "Press Z for Credits" indicator on the event select screen
  • Display custom event name on the character select screen
  • Ledgedash Event - added GALINT for no impact land + aerial interrupts
  • Ledgedash Event - GALINT OSD now displays how close you were to achieving GALINT when you missed it.
  • Ledgedash Event - Place player on ledge instead of above it.
  • Ledgedash Event - Add support for non-legal stages
  • Ledgedash Event - Add camera box to ledge so its always visible
  • Ledgedash Event - Show GALINT for laser lands
  • Ledgedash Event - Player no longer falls off ledge over time
  • Ledgedash Training - Multiple character's special moves no longer trigger an auto-reset.
  • Combo Training - Airdodge/Spotdodge by default
  • Act OoWait - now restricted to showing after techs, getups, aerial attack landings, and throws. It will not show if the first action is a walk, shield, or crouch
(all of these are bufferable and would have shown frame 1)
  • Act OoWait - performing moves OoCrouch after techs, getup, aerial attack landing, and throws will correctly display wasted frames. This mostly affects shines and D-Tilts. Use this to practice frame perfect drill shines.
  • Attack on Shield - Act OoWait is auto-enabled
  • Exiting Debug goes to Main Menu
  • Only show CliffWait and Missed GALINT when under 20 frames
  • L-Cancel Training - The CPU can be controlled by a second player. DPad-down on their controller disables their invincibility.
  • Waveshine SDI - Fox now wavedashes at a random angle between 310°-340° and JC's shines randomly between frame 1-3

Bug Fixes
  • Memcard version now saves OSD preferences
  • Combo Training - Fixed bug where the CPU would not airdodge instantly out of hitstun (was a few frames late)
  • Fixed load event load times. Characters and stages are now loaded in the background, as they are in VS Mode. You can expect similar load times.
  • Fixed UCF crash related to Ice Climbers
  • Memcard version now saves OSD preferences
  • Act OoWait - Fixed OSD not displaying after tech options
  • Combo Training - getup option now works reliably
  • Fix SDI crash

Last edited:

Teatra

Smash Rookie
Everyone, get hype.

EDIT2:
If you don't want to patch it (for some reason), you can *possibly* PM me for an easier way.
I'm just not sure how quick I'll get to it.

Last edited:

NEXmaniosis

Smash Rookie
Awesome! Downloading it :D

There is the possibility to make it work in 20XX 4.07++? So we can use 20xx with this events. Maybe with the memcard save?

Thanks!

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Awesome! Downloading it :D

There is the possibility to make it work in 20XX 4.07++? So we can use 20xx with this events. Maybe with the memcard save?

Thanks!
It is technically possible but the amount of work required is massive. I would like to do it at some point but it would take away from the mod's development and I don't want to do that at the moment.

Last edited:

NEXmaniosis

Smash Rookie
It could be possible to include a FrameData display of Wait frames? For example for the techchase I feel like would be so useful to see how many frames are you late after the grab for example.

I understand about the 20XX question.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
It could be possible to include a FrameData display of Wait frames? For example for the techchase I feel like would be so useful to see how many frames are you late after the grab for example.

I understand about the 20XX question.
yup that's planned for v2, "Act OoThrow" OSD.

red blaze

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mathewlol02
Might be really dumb but i keep getting the message, xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT, and then
Done!
The file is loacted in the folder. Enjoy!
Press any key to continue . . .

The file that shows up in the folder does not seem to work (or im dumb) plz help

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Might be really dumb but i keep getting the message, xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT, and then
Done!
The file is loacted in the folder. Enjoy!
Press any key to continue . . .

The file that shows up in the folder does not seem to work (or im dumb) plz help
hm, sounds like it's not a vanilla 1.02 NTSC iso you are using.

AnguzBeef

Smash Rookie
Im getting a "The disc could not be read (at 0x51f54000 - 0x51f620e0)" when I try to open the compiled iso in dolphin. This follows with a Black screen then after hitting ok another warning for a (0x33e2a800 - 0x33e2b840). Also the ID isnt GALE01 but instead GTME01 in the main menu if that helps, Not sure whats up! Would love to give the pack a try!

EDIT: I was in fact not suing the vanilla 1.02 version of melee. Go figure. It is working now.

Last edited:

besanic

Smash Rookie
This is so sick, for the techchase/chaingrab practice, is there a way to set a maximum percent so I can practice low percent chaingrabs?

Chello

Smash Rookie
View attachment 152334

Training Mode is a modpack for Super Smash Bros. Melee that aims to streamline practice by providing pre-made individual training scenarios. This mod utilizes the event mode present in Super Smash Bros. Melee and reworks them to focus around specific techniques, complete with automatic savestate functionality to allow for rapid-fire practice. Some events have included video tutorials playable in-game (ISO version only) to teach the player about the tech and how to perform it. In addition to these events, Training Mode also includes onscreen text displays which provide you with information otherwise unavailable to you mid-game. Training Mode is available in both ISO and memory card save file form.

This mod's development is supported on Patreon. All pledge tiers will grant access to early versions. Thank you to everyone who has supported and continues to support the project!

You can also follow me @UnclePunch_ on Twitter

Download Links v1.01:
- NTSC
- PAL
- Memcard

-Techchase - Fixed bug where CPU would miss tech A LOT when random tech was selected
-Techchase - Fixed bug where savestate would restore early when using the spotdodge post-hitstun action

Coming soon, here's some screenshots to hold you over

View attachment 152334

You can also follow me @UnclePunch_ on Twitter

Download Links v1.01:
- NTSC
- PAL
- Memcard

-Techchase - Fixed bug where CPU would miss tech A LOT when random tech was selected
-Techchase - Fixed bug where savestate would restore early when using the spotdodge post-hitstun action

Coming soon, here's some screenshots to hold you over

I am trying to play it on my wii (homebrew) but it's not working...

kidder

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to get this on mac? When I drag the 1.02 ISO on the .bat file nothing happens. This is where I'm at.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I'd like to see more characters/more moves for the Amsah Tech trial

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Is there a way to get this on mac? When I drag the 1.02 ISO on the .bat file nothing happens. This is where I'm at.
Never used a Mac but you could opt for the manual way of applying the patch by using the .exe. The way of applying the patch is self explanatory but if you still have issues you can ask.

Samplay2

Smash Rookie
I get the same error "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT"

I'm pretty sure my ISO Pal is "Vanilla", i just download it, i tried with two different website, could not get it to work when i drag the iso.

Did someone have the same issue ?

I'm using Windows 10

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I get the same error "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT"

I'm pretty sure my ISO Pal is "Vanilla", i just download it, i tried with two different website, could not get it to work when i drag the iso.

Did someone have the same issue ?

I'm using Windows 10
The PAL version uses the NTSC iso to build it.

kidder

Smash Rookie
Never used a Mac but you could opt for the manual way of applying the patch by using the .exe. The way of applying the patch is self explanatory but if you still have issues you can ask.
Sorry but I have no idea how to apply a patch, when I try click on xdelta.exe it just tells me my current program can't extract it, i'm using unarchiver. Unless the thing next to it, "PATCH FILE - Training ...PAL.xdelta" is what that is? But then what would I do with that? Sorry for having no idea.

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Sorry but I have no idea how to apply a patch, when I try click on xdelta.exe it just tells me my current program can't extract it, i'm using unarchiver. Unless the thing next to it, "PATCH FILE - Training ...PAL.xdelta" is what that is? But then what would I do with that? Sorry for having no idea.
Sorry I assumed the Xdelta that came with the download was XdeltaUI, which is what you'd have to use to manually apply the patch.

Poweranger

Smash Rookie
i have been trying to figure out how to get this working on a wii setup but i cant. I have it working on my computer but dont know how to get it working on the sd card. any help would be appreciated

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
i have been trying to figure out how to get this working on a wii setup but i cant. I have it working on my computer but dont know how to get it working on the sd card. any help would be appreciated
path should be

sd:\games\GTME01\game.iso

Poweranger

Smash Rookie
you drag the original melee iso over the .bat and it creates the Training Mode iso
thats what i initially thought but nothing changes when i put the iso in. The only files in the folder are the "drag melee iso" "patch file" "training mode 1.0" and "xdelta"

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
thats what i initially thought but nothing changes when i put the iso in. The only files in the folder are the "drag melee iso" "patch file" "training mode 1.0" and "xdelta"
theres only 3 files in the folder, "drag melee iso", "patch file", and "xdelta"

Gameboy.exe

Smash Rookie
Getting an error when dragging my Melee ISO v1.02 onto the Batch File
(xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT)

Top Bottom