• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training for Ultimate using Project M?

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
I just tried going back to Brawl to practice, but it seems like a pretty pale imitation of what Ultimate would be, so I started looking for alternatives. Then I remembered that during a Youtube analysis on Pokemon Trainer, the Youtuber mentioned that Squirtle "Felt like Project M Squirtle, but better".

For anyone who's played both Project M and Ultimate - do you think practicing Project M Squirtle and Ivysaur would be a worthwhile way to practice Ultimate PT in the absence of the actual game?

Maikou

Smash Ace
I didn't get the chance to play Ultimate's demo, but I have played both Brawl and Project M. I don't think so, honestly, especially with Ivysaur. While Squirtle's moves were mostly unchanged besides getting a unique Down Special, Ivysaur's moves were reworked a bit more drastically. For example, besides Seed Bomb as Ivy's Down Special in PM, Neutral Special was changed from Bullet Seed to Solarbeam, which functions completely differently. I don't know precisely what else changed for Ivy, but I do know that Ultimate keeps Bullet Seed as Ivy's Neutral Special. I also know that Charizard was changed rather drastically for Project M, so even if Pokemon Change was still their Down Special, that one feels quite different to the official games.

I think you're stuck with Brawl if you really want the most accurate experience. Unless there's a mod like PM that buffed the Pokemon Trainer's team without just axing the trainer himself. I'm fairly certain there isn't.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Play smash 4 for Charizard, while he did get a number of changes of what we can see in the ultimate demo he’s functionally going to operate the same.

Ivysaur I would say brawl over PM, they changed her a lot in PM so what you can do move wise will be drastically different.

Squrtle is a bit of a toss up after they, I would recommend Brawl first over PM only because it gives you an idea of how PT functions without playing ultimate first.

It will be a bit changing one way or another, since it has been a good 10 years since brawl came out but that would be your best bet. Hoping they release a demo and PT is in it.

Top Bottom