• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training effectively

✧Soulgen✧

Smash Rookie
NNID
Soulgen
I recently sparred with a guy on FG who is about equal level than me, but managed to beat me every time. I recorded my errors on one of the replays and here's what I got:

Link VS Mario:

- I am too impatient when it comes to hitting my opponents and therefor I get punished for letting out failed attacks/smash attacks.
- I make input mistakes quite frequently
- I roll a lot and have trouble dealing with projectiles
- My opponent approaches and retreats for a second for me to wiff an attack and punishes me
- I fall for people baiting with smash attacks

Anyone willing to give advice on how to work on these errors?

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
I recently sparred with a guy on FG who is about equal level than me, but managed to beat me every time. I recorded my errors on one of the replays and here's what I got:

Link VS Mario:

- I am too impatient when it comes to hitting my opponents and therefor I get punished for letting out failed attacks/smash attacks.
- I make input mistakes quite frequently
- I roll a lot and have trouble dealing with projectiles
- My opponent approaches and retreats for a second for me to wiff an attack and punishes me
- I fall for people baiting with smash attacks

Anyone willing to give advice on how to work on these errors?
Actively focus on when it makes sense to throw out attacks in a match to make yourself more patient.
Get rid of rolling habits by playing entire matches focusing on not rolling at all. Do this for long enough and the habit will be gone. Once this is the case you can stop doing this and use it when you think you need it rather than as a habit.
Fix input errors by going into Training and doing everything you are frequently messing up on until you can do them consistently.
Be concious of when your opponent baits and how so you can recognize it and don't fall for it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Keep the rolls. You want to maintain Rob status.

All right, as a Link main, you don't need to approach Mario. His fireballs shouldn't do anything to you if you're standing there or even walking slowly. I personally think the gale boomerang should be thrown diagonally, allowing you to close off that option for your opponent while you can attack with arrows or bombs. I don't know what it is about Link mains, but they're good at grabbing with a ****ty grab. Without a video to watch, I really can't offer much help.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
If you don't want to play a character in the way that makes sense with them, play a different character.
As if the only way to play link is campy.

Play against lvl 3 CPU and beat him up. That'll get your execution straight. Take that time to experiment too.

Learn to play the neutral game (this, this, and this. this when you have an hour to waste. This if u play traditional fighters too).

You have a active shield as link. Projectiles shouldn't affect you toooooo greatly.

Watch other link players like izaw, T, and others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom