• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Town & City: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
For today's stage research thread, we look at Town & City. One can think of it as the lovechild of a menage a trois between Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville. It's got a little something from each of those stages.

It's a fairly simple stage, so this will be brief.

Previously Covered
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Town & City is a transforming stage and thus its layout is not a constant thing. Fortunately for the players, it only ever changes between two distinct layouts, as opposed to the 9 transformations on Delfino Plaza or Skyloft, or the 11 on Wuhu Island. The main platform is also a constant feature; only the secondary platforms come and go.

Players 1 and 2 start near the edges of the main platform, while Players 3 and 4 start closer to the middle. The Omega form floats over a void.

There are no damaging stage hazards.

Sightseeing
Town & City has two main transformations: the Town and the City. Each transformation lasts 30 seconds, with a 10 second transit time as the stage moves between the two.

Name|Picture|Notes
Town|
|The center platform moves up and down. This picture shows the platform at its highest point.
Town|
|This picture shows the moving platform at its lowest point.
City|
|The platforms move horizontally back and forth, meeting in the middle. This picture shows them at their outermost position.
City|
|This picture shows the platforms at their innermost position.
Moving|
|The stage as it moves between the Town and City. The platforms move horizontally offscreen when the stage transforms, and players standing on them at the time will be killed.
Worthy of special note are the platform heights. The side platforms in the Town transformation are unusually high and require a double jump from most characters, including Little Mac and Ganondorf. The platforms in the City transformation are lower and most characters can use a single jump to access them, but some characters like Little Mac and Ganondorf (again) need a double jump.

Although the stage gives no explicit warning when it's about to transform, the moving platforms take 10 seconds to complete a full back-and-forth cycle. Thus if one keeps track of how much they've moved so far, it is possible to predict when the stage is about to transform as they finish their third cycle. Furthermore, the City transformation occasionally releases a spray of bubbles in the background; the second such spray roughly coincides with the stage's imminent transformation.

As mentioned earlier, the platforms move sideways offscreen when the stage transforms. Players on the platforms at this time can be carried away and killed.

Balloon
Like Smashville, a balloon sometimes drifts by. It can be popped with a single attack. If items are enabled, an item will be attached to the string and will drop when the balloon is destroyed. The balloon appears to be a relatively rare event and was observed only once in testing.

Summary
  • Flat main base, Town and City transformations involve different platform arrangements overhead.
  • Town transformation has two side platforms and a center platform that moves up and down.
  • City transformation has two platforms that move side to side.
  • Stage is completely flat in between transformations.
  • Transformations last 30 seconds each, with 10 seconds in between.
  • Platforms can carry players offscreen when stage transforms.
  • Balloon rarely floats across stage, can be broken in one hit.
  • Balloon carries an item if they're enabled.

Last edited:

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
This is my favorite level to CP with link being my main. Its bottom platform is about FD size, with high platforms. Making it a perfect map to space, and circle camp.

Splice

Smash Hero
Here are the first 4 times the platforms move off-screen to keep track of when this will happen. (-1 minute if you use 7 minute timer instead of 8)
7:32
6:42
5:52
5:02
from 7:32, this will happen at 50 second intervals.

First 4 times platforms arrive
7:15 (2 platform setup - City)
6:25 (3 platform setup - Town)
5:35 (2 platform setup)
4:45 (3 platform setup)
from 7:15 you can subtract 50 seconds to anticipate the next platform arrival.

The reason these numbers are a bit odd and don't all have zeroes on the end is because the stage begins it's cycle before the games starting countdown (3, 2, 1, GO!) finishes, and I'm not sure whether you're counting the time while the platforms move offscreen as part of the 30 seconds of transformation.

Other Notes:
When the middle platform in the 3-platform setup (Town) completes it's up+down cycle 3 times, they will go offscreen after a pause.
When the two platforms in the 2-platform setup (City) complete their meeting+moving apart cycle 3 times, they will go offscreen after a pause.
When the 3-platform setup begins, the middle and right platform come from the right together and the left comes in alone from the left. They also travel offscreen in the same groups.

cheers for these stage guides.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Here are the first 4 times the platforms move off-screen to keep track of when this will happen. (-1 minute if you use 7 minute timer instead of 8)
7:32
6:42
5:52
5:02
from 7:32, this will happen at 50 second intervals.

First 4 times platforms arrive
7:15 (2 platform setup - City)
6:25 (3 platform setup - Town)
5:35 (2 platform setup)
4:45 (3 platform setup)
from 7:15 you can subtract 50 seconds to anticipate the next platform arrival.

The reason these numbers are a bit odd and don't all have zeroes on the end is because the stage begins it's cycle before the games starting countdown (3, 2, 1, GO!) finishes, and I'm not sure whether you're counting the time while the platforms move offscreen as part of the 30 seconds of transformation.

Other Notes:
When the middle platform in the 3-platform setup (Town) completes it's up+down cycle 3 times, they will go offscreen after a pause.
When the two platforms in the 2-platform setup (City) complete their meeting+moving apart cycle 3 times, they will go offscreen after a pause.
When the 3-platform setup begins, the middle and right platform come from the right together and the left comes in alone from the left. They also travel offscreen in the same groups.

cheers for these stage guides.
I wasn't counting the time while platforms moved on/offscreen. If you include those and the between-form movement (since you're just looking at the time period thing) then I can see it adding up to 50 seconds total. Good to have verification that the time doesn't vary.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Just like in Smashville, the balloon here adds any move you hit it with to the staleness queue. So that can be really helpful in unstaling your smash attacks and other KO moves.

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
How often does balloons appear on the stage? Is it random or is it a fixed time after the previous balloon disappeared? I'm also curious for Smashville

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
How often does balloons appear on the stage? Is it random or is it a fixed time after the previous balloon disappeared? I'm also curious for Smashville
To me, it feels like they appear at the same frequency, regardless of whether it pops or not.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I think I noticed that the timer for the balloons varies in Town & City, whereas the timer is fixed in Smashville. The balloon doesn't appear in Training Mode for some reason on both stages.

Top Bottom