• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournies No Longer Go Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Post all new tournaments in Tournament Listings. Check the announcements about the new tournament system for information.

Use this forum for smashfests, state and power rankings threads, and more serious threads like car rides, perhaps rule discussions, etc.

If you want to find Pacific West tournaments, click the "Pacific West" link on top of Tournament Listing!

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
What would be really useful is if there were a link to the tournament listings for each region in this forum, like say right under the link to the social room.

Brian

Smash Journeyman
shouldn't we just merge pacwest social and pac west at this point, then?
maybe other regions have spammier social boards, but it seems silly to separate at this point.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
The development team is a bunch of schmucks.

This looks good on paper but it really is a stupid idea. Randoms (and even a lot of the regulars) check two threads, their town's smash thread and the upcoming tourney thread because it's in one forum and easy to locate.

They're still only gonna check one forum because they're lazy you know (hint: it's this one). You're basically lowering the turn out for local tournies.

Metameme

Smash Apprentice
Isn't that what the pac west social was made for? To keep tournaments separate from social discussion?

this is dummmmb

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
The development team is a bunch of schmucks.

This looks good on paper but it really is a stupid idea. Randoms (and even a lot of the regulars) check two threads, their town's smash thread and the upcoming tourney thread because it's in one forum and easy to locate.

They're still only gonna check one forum because they're lazy you know (hint: it's this one). You're basically lowering the turn out for local tournies.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Except I don't think this even sounds good on paper.

Lovage

Smash Hero
ugh i get the feeling that this decision really wasn't well thought out

this change is ONLY going to hurt the smash community, absolutely.

and i'm very doubtful they'd reconsider since they're already prolly defensive about everyone telling them their sht stinks

Brian

Smash Journeyman
I get the initial thought of why this is a good idea. Threads for tournaments like GSG2 get posted here and get most of the action and the tournament doesn't get much exposure outside of PacWest. But forcing ALL tournaments to be listed this way doesn't make any sense. At least keep the link to the thread in the regional zone (even if that link just redirects to the thread in tournament listings, that's fine.)

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i was hoping they wouldnt actively force us to use the new board

but they are

probably should just keep posting tournaments here anyway

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
Why not just allow us to keep only local tournaments in this forum?

That way we keep our tournaments (for the most part)

And the rest of the country gets national/regional tournaments

EDIT:
i think jdm/sheridan's idea is better

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
After a few days of trying it out, I definitely have to agree that this doesn't really serve much of a purpose. I mean I feel like I'm pretty in touch with the Smash community here and this doesn't solve any issue that anyone was having.

I also think Lovage is probably spot on with his opinion that the dev team probably will just refuse to change it back out of defensiveness regardless of the feedback. So we should try to make them defensive about being defensive so they actually do change it back.

Miharu

Smash Hero
ahahaha

I don't get how they decide when/what to implement things; do they even ask for the community's opinion on said changes, or do they just do whatever the **** they feel like doing?

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
and thats why AiB will always be way better ran than SWF. i HATE the swf moderation team. They're all like 40 year old guys who dont even go to tournaments. its ****in disgusting

-eggz

joeplicate

Smash Master
yeah, there's probably a bunch of people who hate on everything and make value judgments on things they know nothing about

oh wait...

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
through my experiences with the higher ups in swf is really feel like their attitude is something along the lines of

this is how we're doing it, you're lucky to even be using our website so quit whining

aib is stupid
im not interested in 'social networking' **** for smashers other than the ones i add on facebook
Its not even about that. The tournament interface is amazing, the social interface gives an internal reference to micro communities instead of being like "now who the ****s is in the WA smash scene again?" and the mods arent hosers

-eggz

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
If you have any complaints I suggest contacting Chibo or Exarch personally and they will explain the changes in depth. Taken from the Atlantic South thread:

exarch said:
It is true that we are not entirely sure what to fill the RZ's with. That basics we have planned are Smashfests, State Threads, and PR threads. Other more serious threads will go in this forum too.

The point of this change was to make all Tournaments move to one place. I personally think, (and have a few others who agree with me) that this is a huge improvement.

Bear with us as we figure out how we will use our Regional Zones (Atlantic South Room) now that they are free to be filled with things other than tournaments.

If you are curious as to why this happened and intend on posting in this thread/participating in the discussion, read the following collapse bracket.
If you're not curious, don't read it, but there are plenty of reasons behind it, I can assure you:
[collapse=significant wall of text be afraid!]Why having two threads for one tournament is bad:
  • Having two threads open means the TO has much more to check, and requires many many extra clicks (to get to different forums, open both threads to the first page with potential updates, copy pastaing new edits, reading new pages of both threads, and many more.)
  • Both threads would have to compete in both forums for attention. One thread could easily fall off the first page of one forum. If it's on the second page of the RZ, locals don't see it. On the second page of TL and it's not considered big or national. Either one of these happening severely hurts attendance/hype.
  • If two threads are made and one dies out (as would frequently happen,) the same problems are experienced as listed in the last bullet.
  • It also increases the number of threads on smashboards (this is a minor point but still holds a small amount of weight.) There becomes duplicate threads, one of which is useless.
So really, any tournament should only be in one place. Historically it hadn't been done that way, but that doesn't mean it isn't done poorly, (I mean historically humanity has traveled on foot rather than by car, but don't you think flying is better?) Yes things worked--more or less--before the change. But we can improve them anyway. The change improves all of the problems I just mentioned. That allows me to my first point: All tournaments should only have one thread. I certainly hope we can all agree that having one thread in one room is better than having multiple threads for one tournament in multiple rooms.

If you think that having 2 or more threads for one tournament is better than having 1, please let me know and explain why. The only potential argument I can see for it is that having only 1 thread means that less people will see it, but when everyone must go to one place to view any tournament, this argument is invalidated. Now that Atlantic South lurkers and Tournament national-ers must go to the same place to see upcoming tournaments, the same amount of people would see the one thread now, compared to the amount of people if there were two threads a week ago.

So then, why have we put all tournament threads in one room?
All tournaments in one location means that upon entering TLings to view your regions tournaments, you must see at least one tournament from another region. These would be the stickied tournaments, and so more people actually see RoM3's thread. Why this is better than before:
  • Under the old system, very few (and shrinking) people went into TLings, so this change decreases the potential for someone to have no idea that the next Pound has already been scheduled. It makes national tournaments more public.
  • It is also better because if all tournaments were located only in their regional zones (I have already discussed why having them in both locations is not optimal,) this means you would have to potentially search up to ~7 more forums to check for national tournaments. When looking through those forums you may even have to pass over a few PRing threads, which increases your scanning workload even more. If you are attending a national tournament, it means that you do not have to load a different forum to check the thread. (Even if you don't go there often.)
  • It discourages regional separatism. Let's face it: as a community, we aren't exactly the poster-child of competitive gaming. If we want to continue to play our favorite games, and attend tournaments, we need to be as unified as possible. The more separation that happens, the more individual pockets die out, and the more 64/Melee/Brawl fades. Think about the smashers who don't play anymore. Most of them didn't announce "I'm retiring," but just kind of stopped coming to tournaments... slowly. We need to be connected as much as possible. Putting tournaments in one room allows easy contrast to the activity of other areas, and can encourage people to get their stuff together. (This is slightly a minor point, but I think it has a significant affect. You're allowed to go lolstupid to this one though.)
  • Having them in one room helps people who may live on or close to the edge of a region. Shouldn't have to explain why. Obviously Florida doesn't run into this problem/benefit.
  • In one room means we can link one calendar. From what I know, we cannot link multiple rooms to one calendar. Having them in TL means you can easily see national tournaments happening on the same weekend as local tournaments. This helps Tournament Organizers specifically, but also assists attendees, by potentially sparking their interest in that out of region tournament.
    So for at least all of those reasons, (there are probably others I'm missing,) I can make my second assertion: All tournaments belong in one location. At least, for those reasons, having them in one location is better than having them in many.

One tournament, one thread, one room for all tourneys.[/collapse]

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I like the redirect below the social thread, that basically solves most of the problems associated with the griping in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom