• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator Tech Of The Week: Perfect Parry Impact OS

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
A great way to become better in Smash is to understand all available options and be a master of tech. Being able to work quickly out of shield can makes punishes that much better was well. One Smash in partnership Tourney Locator have worked together to produce the Tech of The Week series for a good while now and this week they are here to present Tech #42: Perfect Parry Impact OS.

Viewers may have noticed the techs are not presented in order. This is because all of the techs to be shared are a part of the One Smash Tech Tree. This makes each video feed of the others, showing how each tech works together to form a complete game. Some other videos in the series include Fast Fall Break, Snap Back and Slow Run. A full playlist is available here so be sure to check these out to get the full idea of the One Smash Tech Tree.

SmashCapps hopes that these videos help players up their games to the next level. To keep up with his own adventures training in Smash follow him on Twitter.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
For some reason I thought the previous one was the last. Now I'm expecting three more "Perfect Parry" videos. Unfortunately, MMs OS in the first part wasn't working because CF was crossing up (Holy schnikes, that might be a new tech. Cross up!) MMs shield, then at the end of the video, wasn't. This video was just a really obfuscated way of explaining hitlag.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'd just use regular shield + dash attack like the loser I am~

This is neat tho

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
This looks so cool but I'm so confused. I watched the series every week but when they started doing the option selects, the inputs confused me and I don't know how to apply them :[

Can somebody please care to explain this to me I learn alot better through reading so that would really help! Also, thanks Marcus and @ kirbykid kirbykid for the videos!

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
This looks so cool but I'm so confused. I watched the series every week but when they started doing the option selects, the inputs confused me and I don't know how to apply them :[

Can somebody please care to explain this to me I learn alot better through reading so that would really help! Also, thanks Marcus and @ kirbykid kirbykid for the videos!
For an impact option select, you basically tap shield - tap A or B - then input a smash. The timing all happens within 20 frames or so (1/3 of a second).

Impact OS are really advanced. I suggest practice the perfect parry + spot dodge OS first. Just tap shield, tap down, and tap A or B. It's like a spot dodge in put with an extra input after the down direction. But you have to be sure to tap the buttons (quick press, quick release).

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
For an impact option select, you basically tap shield - tap A or B - then input a smash. The timing all happens within 20 frames or so (1/3 of a second).

Impact OS are really advanced. I suggest practice the perfect parry + spot dodge OS first. Just tap shield, tap down, and tap A or B. It's like a spot dodge in put with an extra input after the down direction. But you have to be sure to tap the buttons (quick press, quick release).
This is really some 20XX stuff! This is a challenge but it's nothing I can't overcome! I'm looking forward to next week!

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
while it's one thing to stick with the theme and have Megaman be the player character, it would help a lot if next video you have the opponent demonstrating these tricks as well...

otherwise, it gives the impression only megaman's recommended for this stuff... there's also considering Megaman gets his new tricks from his defeated opponents, so yeah, perhaps something worth trying next time?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
while it's one thing to stick with the theme and have Megaman be the player character, it would help a lot if next video you have the opponent demonstrating these tricks as well...

otherwise, it gives the impression only megaman's recommended for this stuff... there's also considering Megaman gets his new tricks from his defeated opponents, so yeah, perhaps something worth trying next time?
They have clips showing the opponent trying it too, such as Falcon, Mario, and Kirby, in different videos.

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
i love it, small characters like pikachu can get a lot of advantage from this, my next challenge is to space with perfect pivots in to a perfect shield option select(doing this with fox, cause he has gdlk like pivoting and hes my secondary). my goal is to make my fox look like he just came from melee lol

Last edited:

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Is this at all different from inputting an attack after a perfect shield? Because it doesn't seem to be. This is really just overcomplicating a basic concept as far as I can see. It would also be pretty cool if this was presented in a fashion that wasn't so artificially fluffed out. No need for that excessively long intro. Get to the point, don't give old tech new names, and don't act like this is 20XX. It's not.

Ferrus

Smash Rookie
Is this at all different from inputting an attack after a perfect shield? Because it doesn't seem to be. This is really just overcomplicating a basic concept as far as I can see. It would also be pretty cool if this was presented in a fashion that wasn't so artificially fluffed out. No need for that excessively long intro. Get to the point, don't give old tech new names, and don't act like this is 20XX. It's not.
It is actually very different from from just inputing an attack after perfect shield. The idea is that the same shield + attack input will respond differently depending on if the opponent attacks the shield or not. The attack buffered after the shield input will only come out if the an opponet's attack gets perfect shielded for a free punish. This is unique to smash 4 because of how the buffer system works.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
yeah like the guy said this is VERY different from that. Option Selects are the SAME input giving MULTIPLE results depending on what occurs during that movement. It has been something which has been VERY underutilized in the entire series of Smash but is something major in traditional fighting games. I would suggest watching the video again or going into the lab and trying it yourself before inferring its utterly useless.

Im not one for new names either and techincally u dont name Option Selects in this fashion it is really strong stuff if mastered and deserves recognition.

Sometimes you have to entertain the idea that you CANT see and do your due diligence before u critique.

@ kirbykid kirbykid I do feel for people not in the know it would be better to spend some more time on the actual priority list for inputs and what not so people get a better understanding of what is occurring.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
It is actually very different from from just inputing an attack after perfect shield. The idea is that the same shield + attack input will respond differently depending on if the opponent attacks the shield or not. The attack buffered after the shield input will only come out if the an opponet's attack gets perfect shielded for a free punish. This is unique to smash 4 because of how the buffer system works.
This isnt unique to Smash 4 btw. This was in brawl as well

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
you are so lonely loool
What? Me? No, I'm not the one responding to other user's messages whenever, I only want to know a little for knowledge wise in general. There's a difference between knowledge and annoyance. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ferrus

Smash Rookie
This isnt unique to Smash 4 btw. This was in brawl as well

Brawl's random 2 frame input delay technically means that that the option select's output tree has a few more tertiary results. Though, I guess that kinda doesn't matter in terms of this discussion.

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Brawl's random 2 frame input delay technically means that that the option select's output tree has a few more tertiary results. Though, I guess that kinda doesn't matter in terms of this discussion.
Change your controls (just like Smash-4). Now stop bsing. Thanks.

Top Bottom