• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator And One Smash Present: A Few Notes On Footstools

A great way to become better in Smash is to understand all available options and be a master of tech. Being able to work quickly out of shield can makes punishes that much better was well. One Smash in partnership Tourney Locator have worked together to produce the Tech of The Week series for a good while now and this week they are here to present A Few Notes On Footstools.

These videos feed into many others to help players learn more about the game. Some other videos in the series include Fast Fall Break, Snap Back and Slow Run with more recent videos covering The Toon Link Fuel Challenge, A Few Notes On Shields, and more. A full playlist is available here so be sure to check these out to get the full idea of how these techs of the week work together.

Comments

I can't even footstool on purpose, it's always on accident. Gives me and others a reason to be salty when losing a stock from a footstool. Intentional or not, a footstool is a footstool I guess...

Last edited:
okay, so to sum it up...

-a character can do up to five jumps via footstool, but each consecutive one lifts less until you touch ground.

-it can interrupt grabs and shields (oh, right, and taunts), and it can happen during hitstun (if several combo demos haven't clued us in already, of course)

-it cannot "spike" (I'd describe it more like trample) while the target is attacking or using a special.

-it doesn't work at all if the target is in the middle of air dodging, but it does if the target's landing from one.

I suspect the real hassle to it is actually implementing it into a playstyle... I mean, I've not see any tournament sets where one guy is actively using footstooling in their combos, despite several examples of how effective they are.

Huh, so that explains why I would always end up doing a high jump above my opponent for no reason, it's because I inadvertently "footstool'd" them while they were attacking.
This video was very useful, thanks!

I know I sometimes play SSBM WiiU, but this is still helpful!
I mostly play melee.
Main :drmario: Secondary :marthmelee:
^ Melee^
Main:4mario: Secondary :4littlemac:
^SSBM WiiU^

If the hit/hurt data for footstools wasn't so weird, I think they would be embraced by the community a lot more. There's a lot of cool things you can do with them (arguably nerfworthy), but because nobody can figure out when they can and can't footstool nobody ever tries to go for them because it's unreliable.

Top Bottom