• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Representation

zack152

Smash Journeyman
Ok so this of course is going to sound and probably be close to impossible, it still needs to be done. Pichu inside any level of tournament play is dead. There are literally 0 players reppin Pichu at any tournaments of any size right now really :S Even in todays game were seeing mewtwos, zeldas, and kirbys. So there is no reason someone shouldnt be playing Pichu!

I think what we need to do is we need to start going to some tournaments; whether they be local, regional, or national; and getting some tournament representation in. People are always going to look down on Pichu like they do 90% of the tier list unless they get wrecked by one. It sounds hard yeah but someones gotta do it.

I suggest that every Pichu main there is go to as many tournaments as they possibly can in the next month or two, enter singles, and post your results here. Tell us what match ups you were excelling in and how, and what match ups you were struggling in and why. We will work together to try and make all of the Pichu mains step there game up.

"I just won first place playing Zelda all tournament. There's nothing you cant do in this game" - Cosmo at the GnG Championships.

Those are truely words all Pichu players should play by. There is nothing that you can not do in this game with enough patience and practice. Go into every tournament and every game you play with this mindset.

Play hard and good luck all my Pichu playing friends.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I go to ANY I can even brawl tournments. Any exp. is exp. Also zack I have a question? what stages do you normally ban? As pichu I ALWAYS ban YS because how I play I need more space and I get wrecked in every match-up there even dittos even if they suck and are just messing around. As pichu I need lots of space and I also if I can will ban FoD(unless i'm fighting falcon). battefield is the best stage ever.

also I think we should write out some stuff every pichu player should be able to do I think being able to double up-B is useful it's saved me a few times when nothing esle would've worked. basically hold upper left/right press B then during the 2nd one quickly mash the same way again. there's a way to go straight up twice but that's not as good as or easy as double upperwards to the side.

zack152

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah any experience you can get in is nice but you should be trying to do melee tournaments. Playing friendlies and playing in a tournament to me have two different feelings in my opinion.

As for what I ban it really depends on the match up. Yoshi Story is small and I also like having more room to space around my opponent, especially if there playing a faster character (Fox, Falcon, Sheik, etc) but at the same time if Im playing against a character that is only average speed or slightly slowly then average I like the small stages because it helps Pichu get kill moves in easier, which is something that can be quite a struggle on large stages. Personally I like Yoshi story though, and struggle quite a bit on stadium for some reason :s

Yeah I agree though we should post a little info that every Pichu main should know.

Yes you can UpB in the same direction twice. Like ICG said, you must hold your direction as normal the first time, then slam your stick back against that direction.

If you jump then immediately press UpB while just above the ground and go sideways you will land with only 1 frame of lag, basically its like a super wavedash. Its a fast way to tech chase characters with a large tech roll, for mind games, or for an attempted approach. You can also use this to shoot down from ledges on an angle, ending again with only 1 frame of lag. This is a good way to approach someone under you but try not to make it to obvious. A lot of players will pick up on this fast and throw attacks out half way through your animation, cutting you off. Try going straight sideways off the stage, then on an angle back onto the stage. It will put you directly under where you were on the platform, and again end you with only 1 frame of lag. Ontop of that people who have caught onto the first UpB through platform tricks will probably have tried to attack through your UpB, but sense you changed up your direction they will be left in the lag from there attack.

Using UpB You can hit all the ledges on all the stages with platforms from the right angle. I suggest all Pichu players try to learn these angles as its a quick edge hog, and a safe place to be generally.

Also with Pichus UpB, you can teleport straight sideways off the stage, then back again, ending right where you were before with your 1 frame of lag. With this you do not need to be slightly above the ground when you UpB, you can just hit UpB right out of shield with needed. This is very useful if your trying to outspace your opponent but running out of room, because as they approach you can do this and hopefully catch them in the lag from whatever it was they tried to approach with. This is also a useful technique when playing against Marth. Most if not all Marths will throw you towards the edge, and at low percents you often land between the edge of the stage, and them, leaving you at the mercy of there fmash which no matter where you go is going to hit you. What you do is tech in place from the throw, and immediately UpB off the stage and back again, giving you the perfect opportunity for basically whatever you need because he will be stuck in the end of his fmsash animation. In general, this is just a useful technique against characters that tech chase with a smash (Sheik with dmash, Marth with fsmash, Fox with usmash) but I cant guarentee if this works 100% of the time, it depends on if they call your tech or not in which case it might or might not, I havent tested this thoroughly.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
wait slower stages for people your faster than? Why? Let's say we are fighting gannon ok. he begins to fair jab on YS you quickly lose your space you are now limited to like half the stage and that means no up-B, no running full jolts, no thunder,and you can't really run away to get some space also on the flip side let's say we took gannon to DL64 you can easily get away and respce yourself and he can't hog up all that space.

When you approach and get him backed into a corner here comes another amazing part he isn't as fats as you so if he tryed to run under/over you it wouyldn't like like how fox/pichu sometimes can on larger stages.

faster than you smaller stages normally work better.

zack152

Smash Journeyman
in slower match ups i dont play defensively. against slower charcters i try to put the pressure on them. in the ganon match on ys i would stay inside his spacing area and close to the ground. this helps avoid the fair and you just gotta uair when you see the dair coming which leads to easy juggles. if you play defensive hes going to space fairs all day so give him no room to breath

with characters tha are faster then you they are going to abuse that and put tons of pressure on you and with pichus horrible hit stun and sheild stun on a small stage your going to be a sitting duck. not to mention die at low percents

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I play as I go upload a decent video of you some time i'm mostly about mindgames I do approach but I let them go first nowly. i'm more defncively. Not sure if it's the best way to play but a mix we could both argee is good.

zack152

Smash Journeyman
Ill try to get a live stream going later tonight if your going to be on. If not Ill record some matches for sure if I get the chance to play.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I'mgoing to bed soon me and my brother may record some matches he just got waaaaaayyy better today and once his fingers heal he'll we'll try to record.

zack152

Smash Journeyman
@ICG: Offensive Pichu is like offensive Falcon IMO. Dash dance all day and throw out some shffled nairs while there shielding. Land behind there shield and try to pivot grab :S

@Phoenix: Yeah Pichu is really a dying breed, good to know someones interested though :p

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Really i've seen more pichus than any other bottom tier played not in pools that's yoshi or G&W. :) but really there are a fair amount of people who have good/decent pichus out there just they normally have a great fox or falco or something.

Is there anything you'd like to know about pichu?

zack152

Smash Journeyman
thats becausee imo pichu doesnt really require much tech skill, its quite minimal. ill either be live streaming or recording some matches tonight :D

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I have a fair amount of tech skill :( I can wobble as pichu double up-B, not mess most of my up-B tricks, wall jump up-B stall, max out my side-B and I cancel it on edges a lot, and I've edge teched 2 marth's f-smashes in a row.

i'd list more junk but I'm trying to fix my water bed and do homework.

zack152

Smash Journeyman
Lol your missing the point. It doesnt take tech skill to play Pichu. Look at him compared to Fox. Drill shining and shdl as fox take 10 times more tech skill then anything you have to do as Pichu. Pichus UpB tricks are pretty simple. I met Doomz at GenCon and he was playing Pichu in melee. I told him how to do the UpB tricks and he got them on his first try. Wall jumping to UpB is simple compared to the scar jump, which is also pretty easy once you understand it, or just for anyone who has played a character that can walljump, they will realize how easy it is.

All in all Pichu doesnt require a lot of skill to play, I personally think it requires a lot of smarts, basic tech skill, and patience.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I argee But i'm still the most techical pichu out there and A noob told me that he was afraid f me because of my mindgames it's like I know what he's going to do so he doesn't anything then gets hit so amazing maybe i'll be me my brother and his friend.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
side-B ***** stocks faster than youu'd ever think.

How about we try to make pichu look uber sexy why most people play as _____________

unknown522

Some guy
I used pichu during pool 1 and losers bracket vs raynex at apex. I ***** a lot of marths in my pool. I almost beat banks sheik on dreamland but I up-b the wrong way accidently on the last stock. Even with CGing I still had the lead the whole match until the end

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Do you want any advice for a match-ups you have problems with? really pichu loses them all but it feels more about who you play than who you play sometimes.

Banks

Smash Hero
I used pichu during pool 1 and losers bracket vs raynex at apex. I ***** a lot of marths in my pool. I almost beat banks sheik on dreamland but I up-b the wrong way accidently on the last stock. Even with CGing I still had the lead the whole match until the end
But I didn't chaingrab you >__<

best Pichu I have ever played against tho*, and you did mad work in that pool with your little yellow furball

*only Pichu I have ever played against loloololol <3

p.s. we should play a bunch of friendlies next time we're in the same place. we seem to play like 3 games per tournament. love me some fawkz practice

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I find sheiks easier to deal with than peach. But if you get hit quickly CC that. also nair isn't your only option d-tilt and jolts are nice so is mad good baiting i've foun running SH to backwards jolt to work out nice so if sheik trys to stop what would've been a nair than sheik would get hit by a jolt it should make sheik 2nd geuss sheik's self.

up-throw under platforms never f*** up your edge gaurd you'd hate yourself sooo much.

also if sheik chain throws you till like 70% to f-tilt fair most stages you'll live even near the edge when sheik knocked you up to 100% pichu has an amazing recovery at times that covers ******** distances.

f-smash can beat a full hand of needles I think that's funny that pichu is like the only charcter that can beat every single needle but then hurt himself.

you can safly space d-tilt against sheik's sheild like like the black part of your tail. pichu's duck makes it so sheik can't max out their grab range. so pichu can somewhat avoid sheik's grab by ducking buut not right in sheik's face maybe pummeling because you also duck.

start yelling or layghing like a madman when they chain throw you to mess with them.

also it may be your best choice to tech in place more inv. frames than most people so sheik is more likly to miss.

Really i'm not amazing vs sheik of course but I have that little bit of info.

ALSO watch sheik on the edge carefullyyou may be able to d-tilt sheik as sheik rises up to do an air attack. I carefully watch people on edges and sometimes they'll try to press L or air attack you if they drop down be readly for an attackyou can normally smack people in the face. Plus if sheik does hit you with fair your ducking and CCing so you could d-tilt sheik away again.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey any ideas for scar jumping? I'm decent at it some ideas I have that you could spit ball you.

like scar jump into 2nd jump to fair them and jab them off the edge it would a decent amount, fair won't be predictable and would put you to edge gaurding them nice turn around.

scar jump to jolt and maybe follow up it's not as easy as the fair stuff.

up-B perfectly onto the stage laglessly.

upair combos on FFers like upair to dair they would moss their tech of be sent in a near impossible to recover angle with you holding the edge. plus mad flashy.

maybe thunder if they are on the platform or on Fd.
up-B around them.

stall it gives you inv frames that last a few frames for up-B. (most likly only like 3 but whatever.)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Useing the same logic right back at him is funny.

any ideas for scar jumping maybe dair would send them off the edge if aimed right.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
why would anyone play as anyone who isn't fox?
I know that was probably a sarcastic question, but I'm gonna answer the obvious anyway just because I'm VGmasta, and ain't nothin' y'all can do about it now.

Some people wanna have fun reppin' other characters besides Fox. I have plenty of fun reppin' Doc, sliding all over the stage with my wavedashes and wavelands and flippin' people around with my cape. It's really entertaining.

Some people wanna make contributions to the tier lists for other characters, so they practice characters besides top tiers and use them in tournaments in attempts to move them up on the tier lists. Those players become notable for what they have taught the smash community by increasing the level of play or/and changing their character's metagame. I'd love to change the Doc metagame myself. There's still some stuff I think the well-known Doc mains under-use.

And some people, myself included, don't have the tech skill to control hyper-sensitive Fox. I don't have the tech skill and reaction time for Fox and I don't have time to develop the tech skill for him even if I could. Takes too much time.

Also, people use other characters in tournament counterpick against their opponents, which is a really good strategy to use if they are choosing to play to win. An opponent might be really good at one match up, and then not so knowledgeable of another.

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
I actually have a money match against samox (the documentary guy) and i was gonna run pichu. and i was gonna run pichu at apex 2016. and i also took a stock off of amsa in friendlies at evo 2015 last week on saturday.

Top Bottom