• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Discussion Question and Answers

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer

Have a tournament related question? Get a tournament related answer! This threads purpose is to tackle the majority of questions that can be answered quite easily. If your questions purpose is to establish discussion regarding tournaments, feel free to post it in the sub-forum as an individual thread.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
What do I need to setup a game to display on one tv for spectators and another for players?

Atalaya

Smash Rookie
Me and some friends are locally hosting a tournament in our area, and up to day we count with sponsorships, a good locale, pricing, and all that. My only concern is with logistics right now, so far here's what we think:

Tournament Cap: 96 or 128 Players

Format: Double Elimination in 12 pools of 8, or 16 pools of 8 (depending on entrants)

Sets: 2 out of 3

What i thought was narrowing the first 96 down to 32, My thing is, I don't know how many people to pass from each pool up to the final 32.

What I want to know is how to manage time best, for the tournament. I'd like everyhing to flow as smoothly as possible, if we start at 10AM, we want to possibly be done by 6-7pm. I've seen various formulas and ideas, but I'd like someone to try and help me with my specific situation. I've calculated by Round Robin, and assuming each set takes about 18 mins, it would take 90 minutes, (Hour and a half) to run each pool (8 players) As i am running 4 pools at a time, i would need to repeat the process two more times, for a total of 12 pools already run. What I want to know is how long it would take me if i ran the entire tournament by DOUBLE ELIMINATION, from the start. with the following situation

SITUATION 1:

96 participants
12 pools of 8
16 set ups
(Potentially running 4 pools at once, if one pool just rotates between only those 4 setups assigned)

Winners final: 3 out of 5
Losers final: 3 out of 5
GRAND FINAL: 3 out of 5

Any help is greatly appreciated, if you've got other suggestions on how to run it, please advise!

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
So when it comes to reporting matches, how do people usually do it? Do they just record how many games out of the set you won? Like Team A won 2 to 1 over Team B? Or is there some additional things people report (stock remaining or w/e)?

I'm mainly wondering because I use challonge for a lot of local stuff since its easy, and sometimes it seems like some issues come up, which i think mainly just came down to tiebreakers when 2 teams had identical results overall.

4DCOMPETE

Smash Rookie
Me and some friends are locally hosting a tournament in our area, and up to day we count with sponsorships, a good locale, pricing, and all that. My only concern is with logistics right now, so far here's what we think:

Tournament Cap: 96 or 128 Players

Format: Double Elimination in 12 pools of 8, or 16 pools of 8 (depending on entrants)

Sets: 2 out of 3

What i thought was narrowing the first 96 down to 32, My thing is, I don't know how many people to pass from each pool up to the final 32.

What I want to know is how to manage time best, for the tournament. I'd like everyhing to flow as smoothly as possible, if we start at 10AM, we want to possibly be done by 6-7pm. I've seen various formulas and ideas, but I'd like someone to try and help me with my specific situation. I've calculated by Round Robin, and assuming each set takes about 18 mins, it would take 90 minutes, (Hour and a half) to run each pool (8 players) As i am running 4 pools at a time, i would need to repeat the process two more times, for a total of 12 pools already run. What I want to know is how long it would take me if i ran the entire tournament by DOUBLE ELIMINATION, from the start. with the following situation

SITUATION 1:

96 participants
12 pools of 8
16 set ups
(Potentially running 4 pools at once, if one pool just rotates between only those 4 setups assigned)

Winners final: 3 out of 5
Losers final: 3 out of 5
GRAND FINAL: 3 out of 5

Any help is greatly appreciated, if you've got other suggestions on how to run it, please advise!
We count on all Smash 4 matches to last 10 min total.... Then once the brackets are made up (hopefully from pre-registration) we do the math and then figure out how many set-ups we need.

dollaBillz

CWRU Smash 4 TO
Sorry if this thread is more for TOing than for players. Searched around but didn't find my answer.

Can someone explain to me how stage and character selection works in tournaments? I want to try to seem as not-newbie as possible when I show up to my first tournament. If the question is too vague, an average example would suffice.

Thanks in advance!

MushtheMushroom

Smash Rookie
If I want to get into competitive Smash, what game should I start with? I don' want to get overwhelmed.

Baltimarth

Smash Cadet
I want to host a tournament for the whole region of MDVA but I'm not quite sure how I can get it out so that it gets big. It seems no one really cares right now and I'm sad because I just want to have a huge fun tourney for the region.

mythbust4000

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OK I have ideas and I study TOing(online) but I need a place so where can I find one??? I can only think of the rental area but we cant have more then 7-12 and I don't have full control of how many people come so what are ideas and places I can get access to

Last edited:

SuperSaiyanGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheWBGuy
3DS FC
2981-8361-9303
I'm finally heading to my first big tournament on the 27th. I should probably start with small weeklies/bi-weeklies, but if I can't I'll manage. What can I expect there? I'm not looking to see results, but more so to see where I stand.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Ok, so in about a month I'm going to be hosting a large tournament. Everyone is wanting it to be streamed, but the problem is that the venue doesn't have any internet. Our only choice would be to rent a connection for the day (would you call it renting a hotspot??). I've talked to another local TO, and he said that the prices are insane and you pay per GB. I'm not an expert on streaming, so I don't know how many GBs we would actually go through. What kind of prices would I be looking at and are there cheaper options?

Corngamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corngamer
3DS FC
0645-5918-0354
I'm not sure if I should be asking about this here or in a site questions forum, but here I go.

Is there a way for me to set up email preferences so that I can be notified of tournaments happening within a certain distance of me? I've seen that the tournament listings are separated by region, but I would like to limit notifications to tournaments happening in or around my home state.

ricktheone1

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone. I am a new TO in the scene. I've already ran 11 Tournaments, and I have a question about payouts. I was wondering if it always has to be a payout of 60-30-10? I get a small turnout sometimes and third place doesn't make their full fee back (the fees are $8 venue and $5 for tournament). I got 13 people in my last tournament and 3rd gets $7 (I adjusted for the change to make it an even dollar amount) and someone said that I should pay out top 2 at that point. Is that the way to go If i get a turnout that low?

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I'm completely new to the tourney scene, I've looked at posts and noticed that anyone who goes to tourneys especially online always joins a 'crew'. Is this necessary or can you go into tourneys by yourself?

PF9

Smash Lord
Are there people who go as spectators? I want to enjoy a tournament as much as I do any spectator sport.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Are there people who go as spectators? I want to enjoy a tournament as much as I do any spectator sport.
Late reply, but: yeah, totally. At least for the bigger tournaments there's usually a cheaper "spectator" venue fee you have to pay to get in. But it's tons of fun and typically you can find some setups available for friendlies (especially when pools are done).

Top Bottom