• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament/Bracket Nerves.

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
Hello, everyone. I wanted to start a discussion on the competitive aspect that may not get touched on a lot. We talk a lot about framedata, techniques, conditioning opponents, and so on, However, while competing there's a another aspect, the bracket mindset. I'm going to use myself as an example. Before bracket starts, I am usually warming up by playing friendlies and while I don't showcase everything, I actually do rather well. I attribute this to being calm and relaxed while playing. Sure, there may be some hype moments in a particular friendly but I am still generally relaxed. Fast forward to when the bracket starts, and I start to panic. I play far less like I do when I'm relaxed, making silly mistakes and just playing multiple levels lower than when I'm relaxed. I attribute this to several things:

• The fear of losing and getting kicked out of bracket.
  • Being informed that your opponent is very skilled (such as he's in PR).
  • The desire to do well.
  • Being observed by others (either on stream, or just by those behind you).

So, my question to you all is how to overcome these things, and what mindsets have you adopted to overcome it. Perhaps methods to help yourself calm down.

Also, I understand that part of this is just getting used to the environment, and getting good to the point where your natural play gets to the point of muscle memory and is applied in bracket. Those are things I am still working on.

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Think about something else such as the specific match-up, or learning from previous matches. Think about the stages that you want to go to / you don't want your opponent's character to go to. Separate the human from the character and focus on the in-game stuff you need to know. If you have a game plan and a way to keep your mind busy you will feel more calm, and you will perform better.

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet
Try to focus on the good. You're in an environment where you have a chance to grow and learn. Recognizing your nerves is part of the learning experience. Try taking deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth. Reciting your game plan to yourself is also good for keeping your mind focused on the task at hand. Good luck and keep playing!

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I play like there's nothing on the line, and everything flows a lot better. I obviously try as hard as I can, but just focus on the match like I'm playing on my couch at home versus playing in front of other people. Don't let your thoughts on your performance dictate the match. No one will think any less of you as a player if you go 0-2. Realize that that PR'ed player cannot exactly read your mind, and will be trying to figure you out the same way you're trying to figure them out.

Wearing headphones also helps a lot of people.

Switch313

Smash Rookie
I don't have experience in SSBU tournaments but I think this applies to any higher than normal stressful situations. I have a little edge for this type thing of thing because I have ADHD and high stress situations are actually a trigger for me to hyper focus but one thing I tell others is that you shouldn't try to figure out how NOT to be nervous but rather how to function WHILE nervous.

I speak in large crowds and groups pretty well at work, and did during college communications classes. People always asked how I stayed so calm and I told them I wasn't calm, but I was able to just get used to the feeling and actually really enjoy it.. and yeah after a point the anxiety does fade so there's that too.

XERXES92

Smash Rookie
It’s harder said then done to get over tournament nerves. It is definitely nerve racking at first. To this day I have times where I play in bracket and my gameplay is affected by nerves.
The best advise I can give is never go into tournaments with the “ I have to win mindset”. My best example I can provide is when I went to a local tournament of about 30 people. There are 2 top dogs always in attendance and I consistently got seeded at #3 because they always got the better of me. One day I got seeded #1 and I heard constant chatter that I was the player to beat, and my nerves were through the roof. Just having in my head that I was the #1 seed triggered my nerves and it certainly showed in my gameplay. I lost round 3 to a much lower seed and everyone was shocked. I winded up winning through losers to reset the bracket and almost win the tournament, but just an example that nerves can really alter your play style.
For me , I don’t play bad persay, but I’d say the most common sign is playing super defensive and passive , which can be just as bad as being too aggressive.
I feel as if I’m going on a tangent here, but regardless, just go out, there have fun and remember everybody, even the best players are there to improve and have fun. Remember : you learn more from losing then winning. Always take every loss as a learning experience.
Take a good 2-3 minutes after losing a match and really think about what You we’re doing that your opponent capitalized on, habits that your opponent had that you didn’t cash in on, mistakes you made , etc... and make a mental note of it. This is how I managed to get better at the game.
Hope this helped a little.

Last edited:

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
As someone who hasn’t been to very many LAN events for smash, 2 to be exact. I have been to quiet a bit of local tournaments in my area for LOL and CSGO on the other hand and these are two different beasts. As both of those games require you to have a 5-man premade to play competitively this really takes the edge off things. Usually in groups I’m fine but when I’m in the spotlight by myself my anxiety kicks in through the roof. Best thing I found to do is before you go up to play make sure you bring your phone with a playlist of your favorite tunes and jam out while playing, helped me. Keep smashin’.

Top Bottom